New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Europa Universalis 4 Thread 2: Comet Sighted!

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    I'm mostly iffy about playing a small Chinese republic. Thing about EU4 that it's still Euro-centric, and thus most of the flavour events are similarly concentrated.

Voting for Tuscany.
    Technically Tibet isn't small. It has multiple provinces, all of which are huge. The tax is just terrible.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Another vote for Tuscany.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Firbolg in the Playground

My Hansa's trade income is high enough in 1465 to run two level 3 advisors.

This feels weird.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

New patch looks like it has some serious bugs. Any succession game will have to be postponed until it settles down somewhat.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    New patch looks like it has some serious bugs. Any succession game will have to be postponed until it settles down somewhat.
    That's pretty typical for big Paradox patches. There should be a hotfix soon.
    So Much for the Glory of Rome, a Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

I doubt that the bugs will cause anything like a save break, so unless any of them is specifically going to hurt us within the first 50 years or so, we should probably just start. The longer we wait, the more likely people are to lose interest or forget about it, after all.

Do we have someone designated to start out, or are we rolling for it? We could at the very least start rolling for the first turn, if nothing else.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2014-07-18 at 11:40 AM.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

7. - Top - End - #157

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    I doubt that the bugs will cause anything like a save break, so unless any of them is specifically going to hurt us within the first 50 years or so, we should probably just start. The longer we wait, the more likely people are to lose interest or forget about it, after all.

Do we have someone designated to start out, or are we rolling for it? We could at the very least start rolling for the first turn, if nothing else.
    I'll set everything up tonight after work, looks like Tuscany is the winner.

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

As it is, Japan is currently broken. (Apparently annexing a daimyo will cause you to become the Emperor of Japan, and another daimyo annexing another will continue to do so, etc). This extends to any vassal-overlord wars in general.

There's also the small matter of rivalries being rather broken at the moment, with unselectable rivals, but that is a smaller issue, albeit still annoying.

9. - Top - End - #159

10. - Top - End - #160
    Colossus in the Playground

So, I gave Byzantium a shot, fully expecting to be wiped off the map by a vengeful Ottoman Empire with seven times my troop count. Instead I've bungled into getting a bunch of land back from Venice and the various minors (though Crimea forced me to concede Kaffa). I'm still nowhere strong enough to take on the big green with something like 18K troops vs their 42K.

But a weird thing happened. When I retook a province, it gave me a +15 or so modifier to each of my administration score when determining my world ranking, propelling me to #1 in the world by a long shot and allowing me to build up enough score to become the #7 world power before vanishing. All conquests since (and all conquests by NPCs) give +0.0. What the hell happened here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

11. - Top - End - #161

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    But a weird thing happened. When I retook a province, it gave me a +15 or so modifier to each of my administration score when determining my world ranking, propelling me to #1 in the world by a long shot and allowing me to build up enough score to become the #7 world power before vanishing. All conquests since (and all conquests by NPCs) give +0.0. What the hell happened here?
    Is it a one-time bonus for getting back cores, maybe?

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OrcusMcP View Post
    Is it a one-time bonus for getting back cores, maybe?
    I don't think so, in my Majaphahit game I got it after conquering Aceh and I didn't have any cores there.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Interesting story.

Apparently the Auld Alliance mission is borked for Scotland. Or at least not working as intended. Despite already meeting the objective of the mission, it still appears in my list of possible missions every other mission.

Not that i'm complaining or anything, +1 free stability every couple of years is handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

14. - Top - End - #164

It's only my third game, but I finally discovered how to win the 100 years war as england.

1. Immediately give up. Will cost two provinces
    2. Ally and intermarry with everyone close to France. For me, that was Provence, Brittany, Austria, Castille, Portugal, Aragon and Savoy.
    3. Build a medium-sized army
    4. Wait for truce to end
    5. Declare war
    6. Laugh maniacally as your side now outnumbers the Frenchies 3:1 at least.
    7. Be sad because you now probably have negative diplomacy points.
    8. Be consoled by ownership of entire French coast
    9. Repeat conquests as necessary

Next is inheriting the throne of Spain and renaming myself the European Empire inofficially. Mwahaha.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    6. Laugh maniacally as your side now outnumbers the Frenchies 3:1 at least.
    Since when did this pose a problem for The Terror That is France?

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    Since when did this pose a problem for The Terror That is France?
    Generally speaking, if you take France down early enough, then they don't have the full extent of the France Powers to resist a simple numbers game like that.

Specifically things like Elan! which gives them +20% morale or any of their Idea groups finished.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    Generally speaking, if you take France down early enough, then they don't have the full extent of the France Powers to resist a simple numbers game like that.

Specifically things like Elan! which gives them +20% morale or any of their Idea groups finished.
    I guess that might work. It's basically why I stopped playing EUIV (for now, at least), I got tired of games either having to revolve around hindering France, or taking place far away from Europe. I don't really like to be forced to worry about how to curtail France from the get-go when I start a game as Tuscany, Pomerania or such, for example.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    I guess that might work. It's basically why I stopped playing EUIV (for now, at least), I got tired of games either having to revolve around hindering France, or taking place far away from Europe. I don't really like to be forced to worry about how to curtail France from the get-go when I start a game as Tuscany, Pomerania or such, for example.
    unfortunately, that's just generally how things go in Paradox games and i think Napoleon proved how dangerous France could be historically too. However, you don't really have to always worry about France. As you metnioned, you could play outside of Europe, even playing a nation such as Russia or The Ottomans tends to be far enough away for me to not really worry about them(unless they get !!ENORMOUSLY MASSIVE!!). I've also had some of my most enjoyable games as Manchu and Ming...With Ming being the most recent.

and currently i'm actually playing a rather successful game as Scotland and have no intentions in curtailing France as they've been my ally from the start. So France isn't really all gloom and doom, but I do agree that they can definitely be a pain unless you're far enough away or best buds with them.

In other news, I really wish there was something you could do with map information. Right now I don't really explore more than i need to to colonize, because i feel like exploring too much speeds up map spread, which of course leads to the AI discovering uncolonized land, which then leads to messy colonial borders. Maybe if you could sell map information? I know that would speed up map spread even further, but it'd at least be some sort of incentive to exploring more than you have to to colonize.

19. - Top - End - #169

and currently i'm actually playing a rather successful game as Scotland and have no intentions in curtailing France as they've been my ally from the start.
    Whenever I try to do this to countries they randomly declare me as a rival half-way through (because there's nobody else strong enough around). How can this be stopped?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

20. - Top - End - #170
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I don't really think there is a way. Just about every time I ally with France, once I get too powerful, they turn on me and declare me a rival. Probably just the way the AI works.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

It's probably more along the lines of how Rivals work rather than how the AI works. I've certainly been in situations where I've had only one option for rivals...that being an ally. I, as a player wouldn't pick an ally as a rival, because i know better. However, if the AI is programmed to always have maximum rivals, then they will pick you as a rival even if you're an ally.

I think it'd be easily fixed if there was some distinction along the lines of "If one has over 100 relations with a nation, they will not even appear as rivals". I thought they did add some sort of mechanic along that line, but i guess they didn't.

In my scotland game, i've avoided becoming France's rival largely by focusing on colonization...thus most of my power is distributed between my colonial nations rather than concentrated on myself.
    Last edited by Leecros; 2014-08-09 at 09:10 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

On the topic of colonial strategies, as a country like Spain or France, what's the best way to keep other countries from establishing major colonies? (Or at least limit them)
    ithilanor on Steam.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Barbarian in the Playground

'Devour Portugal before it colonizes' is a good way to start. Alternatively, you should be able to get fleet basing rights from Portugal if you ask before they pick the exploration idea.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    On the topic of colonial strategies, as a country like Spain or France, what's the best way to keep other countries from establishing major colonies? (Or at least limit them)
    In my personal experiences....you can't, or at least it's incredibly difficult to do so. If you're playing as Spain, the best way to take down early major colonies is to crush Portugal into the ground, but that isn't going to stop England or France from colonizing.

However, if you want to do any kind of colonization with anyone, Spain and Portugal are your biggest enemies....er threat. They just have so much of an advantage between already having some early colonial expansions(portugal starts with the Azores), National Ideas that promote colonialism(Portugal gets +25% colonial range and +15 yearly settler increase and Castille/Spain gets a +25 yearly settler increase and straight up +1 colonist), and Idea group selection(Both Portugal and Castille will both take Quest for the New World very very early).

They also have the advantage in Colonial Nations. Colonial National Ideas do NOT give colonists and Colonial Nations go with the same Idea groups as it's parent nation would(If it was controlled by the AI). So that means if you play as a nation that doesn't do any colonizing...like Ulm, You simply won't see your colonial nations colonize at all...Whereas the Castilian and Portuguese colonial nations will.

My personal strategy with Scotland was to colonize through Greenland and hit Canada and then just beeline down the coast, doing what i can to cut off all coastal access for other nations to colonize. You could use the same strategy in EU III and take complete control over the whole americas...However, because EUIII started earlier, you could start colonizing before the timeline of EUIV even starts. Thus, while i currently have most of North America and parts of mexico completely shut down from other European Powers, South and Central america are still divided between Castile and Portugal

Something to keep in mind though: They can't or won't colonize without their coastal provinces. That means that if you don't want to full annex a nation like France or Spain to stop them from colonzing(as that would take too long), just take their coastal provinces.
    Last edited by Leecros; 2014-08-09 at 11:47 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Annex them. No, really, as Castile you can pretty easily take down Portugal from the get-go, and then take your time picking apart France and England, since they take a long time to start colonizing anyways. And of course, France if France, and can easily stomp all over Castile before they so much as take Exploration, or at least before they can do anything special with it. England is harder, unless you can win the HYW, but still very doable.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2014-08-10 at 12:08 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

I hear creating a colonial crust on the New World's coast to block other nations from colonising can work as well. (Though with slower colonisation in general with recent patches, that becomes debatable)

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Annex them.
    I can't think of a problem that annexing someone doesn't fix...except overextension.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

I can't think of a problem that annexing someone doesn't fix...except overextension.
    It fixes that too. Got overextension from conquering the Ottomans? Annex them, then release them as a vassal!

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

It might be best as Spain to vassalize portugal, and then let them continue to colonize.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It fixes that too. Got overextension from conquering the Ottomans? Annex them, then release them as a vassal!
    Ah, diplo-annex cheese.

I think I'll try a Castile game, aiming to conquer Portugal early on, move in on Central/South America in earnest, trying to grab the North American coast to stop other countries colonizing. Thanks for all the advice!
    ithilanor on Steam.