New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Crusader Kings II Succession Game 2: Electric Boogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    *Kneels down in humble prayer*

(1d100)[54]
    Well, praying doesn't work. Next time, I'll try a blood sacrifice.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    Someone's eventually going to roll a 100, right? [roll]1d100[/roll] 63
    ...but not today.

EDIT:
    Looking at the save, seems like the Norse are doing quite well; Mercia's been wiped out in England, Bjorn Ironside's taken control of Norway and Sweden, and Rurik's added Ruthenia to the northern Russian territories.
    Last edited by IthilanorStPete; 2014-06-17 at 05:13 PM.
    ithilanor on Steam.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Making it official then. Sallera, show us what a Duchess can do.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

EDIT:
    Looking at the save, seems like the Norse are doing quite well; Mercia's been wiped out in England, Bjorn Ironside's taken control of Norway and Sweden, and Rurik's added Ruthenia to the northern Russian territories.
    With any luck they'll add Wessex to the fold and give us Crusades and Holy Orders 150~ years early.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    With any luck they'll add Wessex to the fold and give us Crusades and Holy Orders 150~ years early.
    That doesn't trigger Crusades. Provence, Toulouse, Paris, Cologne (Köln) or Braunschweig have to fall for the Europe Threatened trigger. All of Britannia can fall and there still won't be crusades until 1090.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

I thought Canterbury getting conquered triggered it as well? Maybe I'm thinking of a previous patch, I remember a lot of complaints about Norse players getting Crusades for England right away.

*checks wiki* Huh. The more you know!

Well, uh, maybe one of the Karlings will go heretic or something. Yeah.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, a big Waldensian revolt took control of Sardinia while I was playing, so it's possible!
    So Much for the Glory of Rome, a Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Hrm. This is awkward. Put the file in my save folder, loaded up with Legacy/Old Gods/Sons, but I can't see the save. Anything obvious I might be missing?

Edit: Ok, never mind, found it. Bloody duplicate folders.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2014-06-18 at 09:47 PM.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Chapter 7

We begin with the newly-ascended Duchess of Gascogne, Endulcia. An honest and just stateswoman who would have been quite content without the crown, she nonetheless has the occasional tendency toward removing troublesome heads. But only after negotiation has failed, of course.
    Spoiler
    Show

Her first order of business is filling out a new council; most of the old drunkard's appointees are nowhere to be found. The Mayor of Dax promises to be at least a decent Marshal (and far less trouble out in the field than complaining about the already horrendously-low taxes he suffers from), while the Bishop of Bazas has a messenger at her door within days practically begging for the position of Chaplain. Finding a competent Steward is somewhat more difficult, even after putting out the word to neighbouring kingdoms, and eventually the position is given to the Bishop of Eauze (mainly on the grounds that he is not the ever-grasping Count Belasko).
    Spoiler
    Show

Her niece Ermisinda shows great promise, already causing Bishop Mentzio no end of trouble with her endless questions, and she is placed in the care of a sharp-tongued Irishwoman, who promises to show her the appeal of more physical weapons as well.
    Spoiler
    Show

Duke Guillarme's revolt against King Carloman at first seemed to be going well (and promising much opportunity for Gascogne), but the intervention of Italy's mighty king puts a swift end to his ambitions.
    Spoiler
    Show

And not a week later, Endulcia's husband passes away in his sleep. (He hadn't been the brightest specimen, but there was a certain charm to the coastal lords. One reinforced by great expenditures on fine port.)
    Spoiler
    Show

The incident finds her surprisingly depressed, and dampens her desires to continue her line; she chooses a marriage of convenience with an Italian count over one more likely to produce children. The Italians are growing great again, and proving staunch allies already to her nominal liege; another tie to their realm cannot hurt.
    Spoiler
    Show

The betrothed of Kisilo (the younger) comes of age, arriving at the Gascon court; a marriage of equals if ever there was one, it promises to continue the greatness of Duke Antso's line.
    Spoiler
    Show

King Arnoul of West Francia attempts to push the Aquitainian duke's claim on the poor Prince-Bishop of Agen; Endulcia considers the high costs of intervention over her feudal obligations, but the Italian armies once again intervene before she is forced to make a decision.
    Spoiler
    Show

And with barely a whimper from the defeated Duke, the realm of Aquitaine is once again unified. A disappointing outcome, in the main, but a harsh and perhaps necessary lesson on the perils of crossing the Italians. Endulcia is not disloyal, per se... but she does begin to contemplate the relative costs and benefits of retaining Carloman as her liege.
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, with the end of the war comes the end of the Italians' support, and she is forced to mobilize her troops to deal with the Francians before they can regroup.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dealing with the constantly changing loyalties of his targets takes a toll even on a reliable Scotsman, it seems, as Alan dies shut away and malnourished, still forging documents with his last breath. His replacement is less brilliant, but equally dutiful, and takes up his predecessor's task.
    Spoiler
    Show

The Franks are successfully drawn away from Agen...
    Spoiler
    Show

...and trapped in an extended skirmish with the illusion of numerical superiority while Carloman's troops are finally convinced to join battle. He might be so cautious as to only strike when victory is assured, but even Endulcia's guileless mind can turn itself toward manipulation once in a while.
    Spoiler
    Show

In fact, it goes well enough that she considers further practice in the field.
    Spoiler
    Show

And despite her intentions, finds that the occasional practice of her spousal duties has born fruit.
    Spoiler
    Show

The Franks lose momentum entirely when the old King dies, their new boy leader unable to even control his own peasants! Agen becomes the last thing on their mind.
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, good stewards are hard to find, especially when managing the realm's finances seems to drive men to their death. The good Bishop expires, and Count Belasko finally gets his hands on the management of the treasury, to the muted dismay of all.
    Spoiler
    Show

Kisilo (the younger) bears her first child, who already shows signs of being at least brighter than most, if not quite in her parents' league.
    Spoiler
    Show

Running into some Frankish troops by accident on the way home, Mayor Karlos needs no further excuse to charge into the fray with aplomb. Such is the Gascon way.
    Spoiler
    Show

With the future of the realm in mind, Endulcia disperses her troops, leaving the cleanup to Carloman - but calls Karlos to her afterward. The mayor is all too eager to lay out his plans for a standing force, and promises to train them himself if only given the funds, and Endulcia turns her mind to their potential use - perhaps offensively, for a change.
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, before he can finish, word comes: Khaireddin has left his feast tables and turned his mind once again to war. Endulcia musters her forces again, but her mind is on her husband and his liege - will the Italians aid in their defence against the heathens, or will greater sacrifices be required?
    Spoiler
    Show

The birth of her son, at this point, is almost an unwanted distraction. Cursing her ill luck, for once, does not seem to improve matters, and the strain takes its toll on her. Praying for enough time to see her realm safely through the war, she resolves to lead from her sickbed if necessary. A Gascon does not submit even to death.
    Spoiler
    Show

The Prince is despatched undercover to ascertain Khaireddin's progress. The results are less than promising.
    Spoiler
    Show

Definitely not promising.
    Spoiler
    Show

A desperate attempt to shore up the defenses...
    Spoiler
    Show

...goes surprisingly well. Unfortunately, it is but a delaying tactic.
    Spoiler
    Show

With her forces caught between three armies, Endulcia knows that her chance has passed. The time to supplement her forces was a month or more ago.
    Spoiler
    Show

Even with the Muslim armies split, no mercenaries she could hire would have a chance at defeating all three of them. Furious at the defeat, her own lack of foresight, and her bedridden body, reliant on intermediates to get anything done, she considers whether a single blade might succeed where two thousand failed. The Prince sends back a single message. Some would say it is God's will. But give me the opportunity, and I will show Him how it's done.
    Spoiler
    Show

The Prince's confidence proves misplaced.
    Spoiler
    Show

And the war continues poorly. No one, it seems, is willing to challenge the Sultan's unholy ambitions.
    Spoiler
    Show

Finally, some of Endulcia's increasingly insistent messengers get through. Whether it be promises of gratitude, dreams of glory, or duty to the Lord, Asturias and Berry join the defense.
    Spoiler
    Show

The Asturians engage one flank while the Berrians and Gascons lead the other on a merry chase, but even a numerical advantage grants them no success.
    Spoiler
    Show

When the combined forces meet, it is a disorganized mess of eight separate armies that even the skilled Mayor Karlos cannot make enough good of to glean victory.
    Spoiler
    Show

After a few months of successive failures, the stress becomes too much for Endulcia to bear. She dies in despair, praying that Kisilo will find some way to correct her errors.
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, it seems Endulcia's contribution to the annals of history will be rendered a footnote. Spent the entire time playing defence, and just when I had room to switch gears, in comes Khaireddin. I definitely misplayed the start of the war, mercenary-wise, but without allies the assassination seemed about my only hope. Naturally, Asturias and Berry joined after I'd spent my money. So, apologies to whoever gets to take over, but you've got a Holy War to win! Blame children.

Save

Edit: Godsdamnit Photobucket, those screenshots were readable before I uploaded them. -.- I'll fix those tomorrow, maybe, but for now I need sleep.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2014-06-19 at 01:07 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

Looks like a solid four years of drama there. (Assuming I read 915 correctly in the last screenshot.)

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Fourth round!

(1d100)[39]

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    (1d100)[98]
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

:O

Yeah, not even rolling.

I was gonna give advice like "revolting against and white-peacing your weakened liege will let you end the war inconclusively" or something, but I think Paper's got this one.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sorry to rain on your parade but

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...1&postcount=46
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2014-06-19 at 04:37 AM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Welp. Unless someone else rolls a 100?

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh sheeeeet.

Well, um, this is a bit awkward. I already started playing, assuming that I'd just pass the game along in the small chance someone beats me by the deadline, and well, it's been going really well. Not so much well from a "became really powerful" standpoint, as much as just making for a really great and dramatic story with lots of ups and downs. I understand if you want to take this as your turn anyways, but if by any chance you'd be willing to pass the turn to me...?

Edit: I don't want to spoil anything, but a sneak peek: The war for Aragon has finally just ended, and it's currently year 922 (7 years since taking power).
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2014-06-19 at 06:18 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Bugbear in the Playground

BIG MONEEEEYYY!!!!

(1d100)[76] !!!!!!
    Sadly no big money
    So Much for the Glory of Rome, a Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

17. - Top - End - #137

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    Horribly dated Pokemon reference! I choose you! GO!

1d100 (90)
    Huh, I should make dumb jokes when rolling more often...

18. - Top - End - #138

I understand if you want to take this as your turn anyways, but if by any chance you'd be willing to pass the turn to me...?
    Not sure. I've started as well and its been pretty static. The Kingdom has been shedding rulers on a regular basis but I've not done much.

Mostly been making marriages and appointing bishops.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2014-06-19 at 11:03 AM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh sheeeeet.

Well, um, this is a bit awkward. I already started playing, assuming that I'd just pass the game along in the small chance someone beats me by the deadline, and well, it's been going really well. Not so much well from a "became really powerful" standpoint, as much as just making for a really great and dramatic story with lots of ups and downs. I understand if you want to take this as your turn anyways, but if by any chance you'd be willing to pass the turn to me...?

Edit: I don't want to spoil anything, but a sneak peek: The war for Aragon has finally just ended, and it's currently year 922 (7 years since taking power).
    Not sure. I've started as well and its been pretty static. The Kingdom has been shedding rulers on a regular basis but I've not done much.

Unless Closet_Skeleton explicitly says he relinquishes the turn, I'm afraid his version will take priority. (Or in the unlikely event that we have two 100s, then we reroll and then choose the one who rolled the highest.)

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, if it helps, I'd be willing to cede my own next winning roll to you, though there's no guarantee that'd be any time soon.

Otherwise, I'll just post the story here some time later on, as a sort of alternate-history sidestory, unless anyone has objections to that.

21. - Top - End - #141

Go ahead and take it then. I'm not in the mood to finish up right now so I probably wouldn't get it posted until saturday anyway.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Go ahead and take it then. I'm not in the mood to finish up right now so I probably wouldn't get it posted until saturday anyway.
    Thanks! I'll get it up ASAP, hopefully by the end of the day today or tomorrow.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

Chapter 8

I am Duchess Kisilio de Vasconia, Duchess of Gascone, Count of Bearn, Armagnac, and Marsan. Unlike many noble ladies, I was taught the arts of warfare from a young age. I have practiced the art of the sword and the spear, and I wear a suit of arms as well as any dress.

Spoiler
    Show

However, it seems that the time for armor and swords has passed.

Spoiler
    Show

There was a time not long ago when this was a war to be won with swords, when hope, however slim, still remained. That time is past, now. Squandered by greed and overconfidence. Now the heathen roams our land without contest.

However, there is more than one way to fight a war. While others see war as a glorious clash of armies, I have learned too much to think that. I know that war - real war - is not a match of armies, but rather of the will of each side to continue to fight. I know that wars are not lost after a glorious battle, but only when the spirit and will to fight of the enemy has been utterly crushed.

A lesser woman than me may have already given up at this point, but God as my witness, I will NOT let the heathens rule our rightful Christain land!

For now, though, I must buy time. God helps those who help themselves, after all.

Spoiler
    Show

The first step of my plan involves preparing a revolution to install a more worthy King on our crown. Old King Carloman has proven himself insufficient in the defense of Christendom, so he must be replaced.

That done, I order my remaining forces to stand down, and beginning looking towards the more distant future, after this war is over. After all, it would be foolish to win this war only to find ourselves hobbled by the poor decisions of my predecessors.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

The first order of business is to sort out the teaching of our young ones. While my training in the art of warfare has taught me many things, our daughters would be better served fighting with words, not swords. As such, I arrange for a few capable teachers to be brought into my court, lured by promises of marriage to our strong, beautiful Basque men and women.

I also look towards the more immediate future, that is to say, my succession.

Spoiler
    Show

The news is...grim. While my training may have been lacking in some areas, Guntroda Jakuez is simply incompetent. The second and third in line are no better, though, so I have little choice but to hope I live long enough to change these ridiculous succession laws. Any of my own daughters, or even my son, would make a far better ruler than any of my older relatives.

Spoiler
    Show

With the future...assuaged, if not secured, I return to the present. I have looked over my options, and sent my most capable agents to where they can be most useful.

Bernard I send to try and sow distrust between the Bernard, Duke of Barcelona and the King, in the hopes of encouraging him to join my faction. Yes, they both have the same name, and no, I doubt that that will make him any more likely to succeed, given the popularity of our "mighty" ruler.

Louis I send to try and recruit Bernard, Duke of Toulouse (seriously, another Bernard?) through more direct means. Though again, I doubt it will be in time.

Karlos and Swaefraed are both assigned closer to home, to attempt to bolster our supply of men and wealth both. They won't come in time for this war, but there will come a time when they are needed again. I only hope that it will be enough.

Finally, Mentzio I send to Rome, to pray for a miracle with the Holy Father.

As the months pass, the Heathen Khaireddin continues to savage the lands of Aragon, with no armies to contest him. Neither the duke of Toulouse of Barcelona has joined my cause against Carloman, but there is no more time. The heathen's armies will soon control all of Aragon, so I set my plan into motion.

All across my land, my men unfurl the banners of Revolution, declaring our intent to unseat Carloman in favor of Louis the Second, King of East Francia and Burgundy, in hopes that he will be able to protect us from the Heathen.

However, word soon reaches me of two more events:

Spoiler
    Show

God has sent me a miracle!

It seems that Khaireddin, the coward, has retreated from our lands. Rumors say that his face turned pale at the sight of our banners, and he immediately called for a full retreat of all of his forces! I can only assume that he must have thought these banners represented some new foe that had caught him by surprise, and the craven fool fled rather than risk being caught unprepared.

Other rumors say that the sight of our banners, red and black, reminded him of the delicious steak dinner his palace cook always makes, and that he has ordered his entire army to retreat just so that he can feast at his own table once more.

Regardless, this truly is a miracle! And as if inspired by grace god has shown us, nearly a thousand old soldiers have appeared on my doorstep, asking to join my cause. With my forces bolstered, I decide that now is the time to strike. I order my men to march directly to Barcelona, to rout the meagre remaining forces of Carloman, and bring us a swift victory before the Fat Heathen decides to leave his feast halls again.

Spoiler
    Show

While we march to fight Carloman's forces, my son Ordono asks me to become a monk and dedicate his life to Chirst in thanks for saving our lands from the Heathen conquerors. With a tear in my eye, I say yes. I couldn't be more proud of his devotion.

Spoiler
    Show

Carloman's forces are easily dealt with, but it seems that the foolish king has decided to be stubborn, and refuses to step off his throne, despite his hopeless situation. With no other choice, I order my men to dig in and prepare to starve him out.

Spoiler
    Show

The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away.

It seems that my subjects have grown weary of the constant strife and war ravaging our lands, and to be frank, I find it hard to hold much ill will against them. Still, I grieve for my husband. He deserved more than this.

I appoint the bastard Belasko in his place, in hopes that the same fate befalls someone more deserving.

Spoiler
    Show

Khaireddin seems to have realized his error, or perhaps has run out of juicy steaks, and has once again declared war, this time on myself directly. While my forces are greater than they were a short time ago, they are still no match for this heathen host. Even worse, old king Carloman still refuses to surrender his crown, leaving us ill-prepared for the coming onslaught.

Spoiler
    Show

Carloman, too, seems to have found his courage, and has summoned up two armies. The first, and largest, he has stationed in the mountain pass, obviously hoping to trap my forces away from home, while the rest march to my capital and lay siege to it.

However, he has miscalculated. As soon as the castle falls, I order my troops to march east, around the other pass before Khaireddin's forces can cut me off from the only other pass through the mountains, leaving only a token force in the castle to distract his larger force.

Spoiler
    Show

Once again Carloman's overconfidence betrays him, as my forces destroy the small siege force easily on the open ground.

Spoiler
    Show

With the western pass now blocked by Khaireddin's forces, I instead march east, taking position just behind Carloman's main force. Now he is the one who is trapped, between my forces in the mountains behind him, and a massive force of angry heathens to his front. With nowhere to run, he seems now to be paralysed with fear,

Spoiler
    Show

However, while this war goes well, Khaireddin has wasted no time in securing the lands he covets. His forces now are, if anything, even greater than they once were, and even spread out as they are, my forces stand o match against even the smallest of his armies. I can only hope that my brave defenders will hold out long enough.

Spoiler
    Show

However, it seems that my bid for time has paid off. Asturias and Berry have both pledged to join my cause, and along with my own replenished forces and a hasily recruited band of mercenaries, we now have an army that can stand against the Heathen.

Spoiler
    Show

Our forces take up a defensive position in the pass of Leyre, and Khaireddin complies, sending a large part of his force to meet us.

Spoiler
    Show

The battle is hard-fought, but the heathens have underestimated God's soldiers, as their right flank breaks, and soon...

Spoiler
    Show

Praise the Lord! We can win this war!

Spoiler
    Show

However, our victory feasts are cut short when word comes of an even greater host of heathen soldiers headed straight towards us. Grimly, I order the troops to break camp and head east, into the mountains, to make a grim, final stand.

Spoiler
    Show

As we prepare our defenses, word comes that a large group of peasants have risen up back home, no doubt still angry over the higher taxes. My only regret is that they didn't kill that bastard Belasko while they were at it.

Spoiler
    Show

At last, Khaireddin's main force clashes with ours. We give it all that we can...

Spoiler
    Show

...but it isn't enough. Outnumbered on all sides, our forces waver, and finally...

Spoiler
    Show

I order the retreat, but the damage has been done. Khaireddin gives chase, and only a last stand by the brave veteran soldiers buys the rest of my armies time to retreat to their holdings, though I fear those walls will do little to save them if the heathen comes for them. Even the revolting peasants are swept aside in the mighty host's wake.

Then, a new, faint gleam of hope:

Spoiler
    Show

It seems that the wise king Louis has not been blind to my struggles, and has offered to help me in my war to install him. I must admit, I had hoped this help would come much sooner, but in these dire times I find it difficult to complain.

Spoiler
    Show

Not long after, I recieve another message, this time borne by one of the heathen's lackies. It spells out the terms of my surrender. In response, I stab the messenger in the face through the parchment as he lifts it up to begin reading. His companions seem to understand my intent, and hastily drag him away as they flee my court.

Spoiler
    Show

However, for all my bravado, there really is very little I can do to prevent Khaireddin from getting what he wants. As Louis' forces begin to arrive, I summon up the remnants of my own force once again and lead them far to the south, in an attempt to strike behind enemy lines and buy whatever time I can.

Spoiler
    Show

Khaireddin, it seems, has no more patience for me. He sends a small, but still more than sufficient, force to chase me off, while his larger force continues to siege the last untouched province I have.

Spoiler
    Show

Still, my stubborness contnues to pay off, as now the powerful king of West Francia has also joined my cause.

Once again, I rally my forces to join these new allies, only to find them already engaged, and losing. With a quick prayer for deliverance, I order my small force to join the fray, hoping to tip the balance in our favor.

Spoiler
    Show

After a long day of bloody battle, we finally manage to defeat Khaireddin's forces. Still, as my men and our new allies cheer, I can't help but feel that this war is far from over. Almost all of Aragon is now held by Khaireddin's forces, and while we work to take them back, his forces will be replenishing.

As I turn to march back to the war-tent to plan our next course of action, however, I am approached by a messenger. It seems that my allies have taken a prisoner. At first, I wave him away, until he tells me the name of this prisoner. Not daring to believe my own ears, I sprint to the West Francian camp to confirm the news with my own eyes.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

There before me, the fat heathen sits before a massive table laden with food, feasting to his heart's content, seemingly oblivious to the soldiers surrounding him as his panicked servants rush about bringing him more food, seeming to be more afraid of their liege's wrath at not being fed than they are of the swords of their captors.

Even as I stand before him, he seems to be oblivious to all but the food before him. That is, until my sword pierces his plate, causing the over-laden table to shudder. He looks up to me, eyes filled first with fury, then confusion, and finally - gloriously - terror.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

- Chapter 9 coming soon -

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Oh sheeeeet.

You weren't kidding about this! Quite the turn of events, and your write-up really adds to the drama.
    ithilanor on Steam.

25. - Top - End - #145

Ooooh, nothing ends a war quite like capturing the enemy lord. I love it!

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, but that is a fine ending to the war.

For the faction, hah, yes, that's even better than just white peacing, that's getting us a monarch worth a damn! Possibly.

I was playing the save for a bit and it's a little funny and a little sad how much everyone hates Carloman. The only people willing to help him in the holy war were the two lords that will almost certainly be 'next'. None of his relatives even want to touch him.

(On that note, Sallera you did well considering you were facing the monster of Spain with barely any backup - I've seen Andalusia fight the entire Karlingblob and win, which is why I focused heavily on screwing them over.)
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2014-06-19 at 10:12 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

I did notice Khaireddin's tendency to lead from the front, but never got fortunate enough in battle to capture him. Lucky, dramatic, and very profitable! I like where this is going.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

You weren't kidding about this! Quite the turn of events, and your write-up really adds to the drama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    Ooooh, nothing ends a war quite like capturing the enemy lord. I love it!
    Oh, but that is a fine ending to the war.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sallera View Post
    I did notice Khaireddin's tendency to lead from the front, but never got fortunate enough in battle to capture him. Lucky, dramatic, and very profitable! I like where this is going.
    Thanks! It was quite a ride for me as well, and not until that final battle did I think I would actually win. That whole time, my best hope was that I'd win the liege change war before Khareddin came back a second time. And yet, we just kept barely hanging on until eventually enough people joined to turn the war around. Of course, the Andalusian threat is far from dealt with permanently, but we should be much better prepared to deal with it in the future.

For the faction, hah, yes, that's even better than just white peacing, that's getting us a monarch worth a damn! Possibly.
    I certainly hope so! He's currently the king of Burgundy and East Francia, and he also happens to be the heir of the young king of West Francia. If this was my own game, I would be trying to murder the heck out of that kid to combine the two kingdoms, so that when I eventually stole it for myself, I could tear out the parts of de jure Aquitaine with it, rather than needing to go to war 50 times to get them all. As is, I'm basically content to leave it up to chance, since for all I know the next guy is going to go independent by forming Navarra or Aragon or who knows what, in which case making the Karling blob even more massive is probably not a great idea.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Colossus in the Playground

Well, we can't form a kingdom with a king-level liege, so unless we want to enable some Karling to form Francia, independence (preferably with Aquitaine under your belt) would have to come before a Spanish kingdom.

Personally, if I get the next play-through, I'd be throwing all of my weight behind unifying Karling lands, because as a vassal to a powerful king, and with Andalusia sharpening its scimitars to the south, there's not really that much else to do. Maybe pick a fight with Asturias for whatever reason...
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

On the note of picking a fight with Asturias, there's a bastard in our court, matrimarried to our dynasty, with weak claims on Galicia and Castille.

Meanwhile Carloman's second son (and the elective heir, at the beginning of the save anyway) is also matrimarried to our dynasty.

So getting ourselves a kingdom by inheritance is far from unrealistic.
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2014-06-20 at 01:22 AM.