New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Well That was Unexpected Thread III: I Throw Comics at the Wall, You See What Sti

Well, now that obligatory Character Development is out of the way, let's move on with our next show: Explosions (hopefully)!

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    • And why does he care if Jeroshaw eats the cookie? It's not like he can do it.
    He cares because he wants to eat it, doesn't matter if he can't. Cookies are universal, your gut flora doesn't matter.

And by the way, STOP SPOILING US WITH SO MANY COMICS! It's not that I don't like it, it's that I know it will end, one day. One day...

2. - Top - End - #302
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Well That was Unexpected Thread III: I Throw Comics at the Wall, You See What Sti

Well the comic will end one day...but maybe in five years. Honestly, ask me 500 comics ago when I thought i'd be done and I would've said 500 comics later.

Comic 729! I'm gonna be completely honest again: I have a good idea how the next part of this chapter will go, but going from this point to that is kinda...slower coming to me than it should be.

Questions? Comments? Critique?
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I think what Keios meant is that this current pace of updating every 1-3 days is spoiling us, because sooner or later it'll go back to normal. Though since you bring it up, I'm curious - do you estimate the comic is past its halfway point?

As for the current comic, not sure what to say, as it does seem kind of transitional. Though it's nice to see that Rand hasn't changed that much; he's done this thing where he blusters about not needing help and then accepts it a lot.

And props to Jeroshaw for not letting the cookie go to waste after all.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2015-04-12 at 07:31 PM.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

4. - Top - End - #304

I think what Keios meant is that this current pace of updating every 1-3 days is spoiling us, because sooner or later it'll go back to normal. Though since you bring it up, I'm curious - do you estimate the comic is past its halfway point?.
    Indeed.

And we don't know that he'll eat that cookie, he could just be carrying it! In this comic, that cookie might as well sprout sentience and become a secondary character. You can never be prepared enough.

5. - Top - End - #305

I think what Keios meant is that this current pace of updating every 1-3 days is spoiling us, because sooner or later it'll go back to normal. Though since you bring it up, I'm curious - do you estimate the comic is past its halfway point?
    I post comics when they get done. It just seems that lately i've been very motivated. Eventually I probably will fall back to the comic-a-4-5-day pace, but for now...yeah.

As for the halfway point, my gut says yes, but again, don't quote me on this. I have a general idea of the overarching story, fortunately. However aside from the last chapter(s) and one chapter starring Princess Marnia, I have no idea what to do after this current Chapter.

Comic 730!

If the transition was too abrupt, the original plan was a different comic. Check out the first two panels of Alternate 730. However that particular comic, although I had two jokes planned (one of which you probably noticed fairly quickly) though it would be an expository rehash of information you all already know. I decided to skip past all that, and the other joke I have planned can be moved into a different comic.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

...What the heck is Resist Elements gonna do against the Superintendent?

And it looks like I'll now have to revise my opinions about who knew about Kaylethia being "Vinny", especially judging from the original comic.

Speaking of which, I can't tell if that's Torn in the first panel of the final version or not, but if he's along, that should add an added element of Fun to the mission.

Edit: Jeroshaw's ice-styled sweatdrop in the last panel is a really nice detail. I didn't pick up on that at first.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2015-04-14 at 10:57 PM.
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Probably nothing, but Rand is a sorcerer. He doesn't prepare spells ahead of time, he gets a fixed number of a certain level.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I know, I was taking Jeroshaw literally for a joke.

Though really, it's a first-level spell slot, so it's not like there's a lot of useful things he could switch it for anyway (at least, not against an epic-level bad guy).
    Show

9. - Top - End - #309

The stage is set (we had a battle on an ice planet before, though), all that remains is the action. Better buckle up.

10. - Top - End - #310

Nothing, and it's not meant to. They're in a really cold place, and even the dirty mammals of the party might freeze to death.

Speaking of which, I can't tell if that's Torn in the first panel of the final version or not, but if he's along, that should add an added element of Fun to the mission.
    Uh, he's not in Comic 730. He's in the last (second) panel of 730 alternate though.

Also, Comic 731

Q? C? C?

11. - Top - End - #311
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So. Custodes can teleport now. Not surprised or anything, just noting for future reference.

Also, I always had always gotten the sense Savaddor was pretty high-level - on par with Rand or even higher. He had just gotten overshadowed the last time he had a big role because Rand's the protagonist and was in a Custodian body to boot. Apparently that's not the case?

Uh, he's not in Comic 730.
    Huh? They're only really identifiable by color, but it looked to me like the people in the teleport effect in the first panel (from left to right) are Marnia, Rand, Kaylethia, and Torn, with the AIs off to the side.

I guess it doesn't matter, since he's clearly present now.

Edit: Wait a minute, Marnia didn't bother to find her contacts before teleporting into a combat situation? And none of the sensible people tried to remind her?
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2015-04-17 at 09:55 PM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #312

Huh? They're only really identifiable by color, but it looked to me like the people in the teleport effect in the first panel (from left to right) are Marnia, Rand, Kaylethia, and Torn, with the AIs off to the side.
    Oooh, right, yeah. I see what you mean. He IS there, and so is everyone else, just really tiny. My mistake, and poor recollection.

13. - Top - End - #313

Edit: Wait a minute, Marnia didn't bother to find her contacts before teleporting into a combat situation? And none of the sensible people tried to remind her?
    Well other things like her crown almost never seems to be in danger of being knocked off. I'm sure it'll be fine. Maybe.

Comic 732. This is also the first comic to make use of a 3D model in the creation of an art asset.

Q? C? C?

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Ooh, that thing's impressive-looking, if not quite as retro as most Hyptian technology seems to be. Though it (and everything else) kind of got overshadowed by the gag with Savaddor pulling out the lasgun, which stole the comic for me.

I'm a bit confused by the ending, though next comic should presumably clear it up: are they actually under attack, or is Rand just goofing off? His expression is a little hard to interpret. And since when has Arc had hands in that form?

Edit: The backstory/characterization stuff in the first few panels is interesting. I often wonder how much of this is just throwaway references and how much is actually planned out in detail and just hasn't had a chance to be mentioned. I know the comic is 90 percent improvisational, but I also get the sense sometimes that there's a lot of detailed background material that readers haven't had a chance to see yet.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2015-04-20 at 12:28 AM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #315

I'm a bit confused by the ending, though next comic should presumably clear it up: are they actually under attack, or is Rand just goofing off? His expression is a little hard to interpret. And since when has Arc had hands in that form?
    Rand is most definitely taking this seriously. Throwing cold stuff at Rand is like threatening a country with nuclear weapons: bad etiquette.

16. - Top - End - #316

Edit: The backstory/characterization stuff in the first few panels is interesting. I often wonder how much of this is just throwaway references and how much is actually planned out in detail and just hasn't had a chance to be mentioned. I know the comic is 90 percent improvisational, but I also get the sense sometimes that there's a lot of detailed background material that readers haven't had a chance to see yet.
    You'd be shocked how much of the world i've actually thought out and developed but haven't had a chance to exposit. The Divine Hierarchy (not an actual organization,) the origins of Hypt Academy, Kingdom of Eternus, Magebane Empire, The Tau Ethereal Caste, High Aios, Magic, Technomancy, Vector Magic, as well as several events including the events leading up to the Treaty of Abberoy and the Time Freeze and the ending thereof, to say nothing of the backstories of several characters I would LOVE to expand upon. I'll have a chance to give Arc, Savaddor, and maybe Kalros their backstories, but I am also looking to expand on Torn's and Marnia's, as well as Archduke Araske's and The Emperor's.

Needless to say...there's a LOT I have in mind but haven't the chance to put out yet, but i'm chomping at the bit to tell you. Despite the overwhelming silliness of this comic in general I do want it to be grounded somewhere.

Please let me know if i'm experiencing Cerebus Syndrome though, that's easily my biggest worry.

Sadly, no new comic today. Even more sadly, no new comics this week. I'm taking a mini-haitus to focus exclusively on bug-testing and polishing Hypt for release, which is Thursday, the 23rd.

So yeah, just letting you know.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well, that certainly answers that question. And a couple of others for that matter - I'd been going back and forth for ages whether the Time Freeze was actually thought up in any detail or whether it was supposed be some kind of joke about fantasy medieval stasis.

And, honestly, I don't think this comic is capable of experiencing Cerebus Syndrome without a radical shift in characterization. Too many characters - good guys and villains alike - are too inherently unserious for it to experience more than occasional serious moments.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2015-04-20 at 09:37 PM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #318

I'm nervous because I think of future storylines, plot-points, and the expansion in terms of the setting's lore (actually a lot more of the latter) and 95% of the time it's a comic that's dry, humorless, and wordy. I've known about Cerebus Syndrome since before I knew that that's what it was called.

Then again my being conscientious of it alone will probably help me avert problems. I managed to be able to drop my own headcanon as to the nature of Khorne in an otherwise humorous comic.

Comic 733 is up. This one was a lot later than I intended it to, but as you might expect I was busy.

HYPT IS LAUNCHED!! Check it out! Link on the right side of the banner in my signature!

Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2015-04-29 at 02:00 AM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well, I've always had problems with Cerebus Syndrome myself, so I can certainly call it out if I see it. Though again, comics like this one show why I have a hard time imagining that happening.

I really like how cartoony this one is. Wonder if Savaddor's going to join in or not. I've had a hard time pegging where he stands on the goofiness scale.

Third panel has an apparent art error with Marnia's eyes.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #320

As fun and funny this situation looks, I'm sure the Custodes will find a way to make the snowballs exploed violently on impact or something. Can't wait

21. - Top - End - #321

I'm pretty sure everyone's been just fine making things explode without the Custodes

Comic 734

22. - Top - End - #322
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Somehow, I knew it would be Kaylethia who turned the snowball fight into a disaster.

And the idea that a snowball is a deadlier weapon than a lasgun is a great follow-up to 732's joke.

I like how hammy the Hypt Dragons are.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #323

Never expect a Lasgun to do more than annoy a target.

...unless it's a Hellgun or Hotshot Lasgun. They will frak you up.

Comic 735!

In case you're wondering, this snowball fight arc is in no ways intrinsic to the plot. Probably. I just wanted some shenanigans to occur

24. - Top - End - #324
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

...Wait, if Ser was the one who threw that snowball, how the heck is the dragon still alive?
    Show

25. - Top - End - #325

I'm with ti'esar here. There's no way Custodes are capable of throwing something below the speed of light. Even if they are holding back, which so far they've proved to be incapable of.

26. - Top - End - #326

I figure since the events of Chapter 12, Ser has a better understanding of the limits of mere mortals.

Comic 736 is here

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Ing View Post
    I figure since the events of Chapter 12, Ser has a better understanding of the limits of mere mortals.
    Ah, that's the explanation I would have gone with myself if I had to come up with one.

Regarding the new comic: what the warp? Hypt Dragons can to choose to be... not-evil? I mean, we did already have Arc, but she doesn't seem to be a normal Hypt Dragon in a lot of ways.

Very amusing, though, especially the thought bubbles. That guy's kind of cute for a robotic death machine.

Edit: Speaking of Arc, I wonder what's going on in the background of the fourth panel...?
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2015-05-05 at 10:52 PM.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #328

I want to play up the "intelligence" part of Artificial Intelligence. Give even the Elite Mooks that the Hypt Dragons are some hidden depths.

Tonight we're traveling on a Boeing 737th Comic plane.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Wow, you've really been on a roll lately with comics that make me actually laugh out loud. Loved Savaddor's freakout in this one.

Though I'm a little confused at what Marnia's going for here if Arc isn't actually available to talk, especially since Savaddor seems like the better guy for exposition anyway.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #330

Now I want an animated cartoon of Arc and Sereyentheous, Wild E. Coyote and Roadrunner style.