New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Well That was Unexpected Thread III: I Throw Comics at the Wall, You See What Sti

I've said it once, i'll say it again: So little about this comic is planned! If it's happening, it's because I thought about it approximately fifty strips prior. Princess Marnia? Fifty strips prior. The Custodes? Fifty strips prior. Hypt? Fifty strips prior. The only solid foundation I have for a plan is the ending sequence. I rarely plan more than a few strips ahead, and even then that's only seldom.

That said, I am trying to at least improve characterization. I do indeed have dissapointingly lacking characters and I want to at least try and improve them. My current goals are to give Torn a stronger personality rather than simply be the sounding board for Rand's insanity, and differentiate the Custodes so they aren't a triple-character. Hence, this chapter (though granted this chapter will feature only a handful of said characters, including only a single Custodian, however I might make a strip that features the other two, if only to show just what they're up to.)

Comic 668 is up.

Speaking of plans though, I had it in mind to make this next comic for a while so...

Also, I want to tease a little...project i've been working on for the past few weeks. I'll keep you posted as it develops to the point where i'm comfortable enough to show it off.

Questions? Comments? Critique?
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2014-07-15 at 12:19 AM.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Well That was Unexpected Thread III: I Throw Comics at the Wall, You See What Sti

I get that the comic's not really planned in advance (though with Hypt specifically, didn't the Superintendent cameo about 200 strips before they became involved in the plot?), but there's different ways of suddenly switching between different plot points. Some are better than others; like I said, I think there's been a gradual improvement with it.

I also wouldn't be too harsh on the characterization. I didn't mean to imply that all of the characters besides the ones I mentioned as my favorites were bland (and of the ones I did mention as my favorites, Powers is up there specifically because of his one-note personality). While I admit there's some I'm probably never going to be super-interested in, the only ones I think really need work besides Kaylethia are some of the older villains - though as I said before, I wouldn't mind the Custodes getting more differentiated.

Re: the new comic - just who is that masked man, anyway?

...And why are his assassination attempts against a person he believes to be a 34th-level superbeing so inept?

Also, this is nitpicky, but Ser's last line should probably begin "Teach me more of this world's..."

Edit: Also, one thing I forgot to mention in the review above is that I really like the setting for the comic. The whole "standard D&D setting thousands of years in the future" thing is both legitimately kind of cool and frequently amusing, and I feel like the original and WH40K elements mesh together pretty well.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2014-07-15 at 03:07 AM.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

That second pannel is really cool. I don't think that perspective would've been possible with the old art style, or at least I don't think it would look as good while also conveying that he's looking back.

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Edit: Also, one thing I forgot to mention in the review above is that I really like the setting for the comic. The whole "standard D&D setting thousands of years in the future" thing is both legitimately kind of cool and frequently amusing, and I feel like the original and WH40K elements mesh together pretty well.
    I think it's also because they are not meshing, they are clashing and interfering with each other, specially the lore, and providing wonderful results.

4. - Top - End - #34

They mesh insofar as they're there. Really every story ever written are just variation of "How does Character X react to Situation Y?" Whether or not they fit is a factor of the skill of the storyteller.

Also I love the reaction of people to the Custodes. I took it as a personal challenge when I first conceived of them as characters simply too powerful to be challenged physically (or magically.) There's more than one way to challenge a character in the context of the narrative (in this case their lack of social skills) and their overwhelming popularity seems to indicate i've done well in this regard. So, yay.

Comic 669. Yay Custodian Names!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Rand says what I've been thinking from the start of this story arc.

And, while I maintain that the change is still really jarring, I can definitely see the advantages to the new art style now. There were some entertaining facial expressions in this one that wouldn't have worked as well with the OOTS-style eyes.
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

6. - Top - End - #36

And i'm finding the OotS style has advantages. For example if I want easy-made characters to at least somewhat populate the background who don't stand out from the main characters.

Comic 670 is up.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It took me a couple of readings to get this one. Personally, I think he's going to wish he kept the armor on...

Agreed about the extras and OOTS style - they do blend into the background better with it (though this set seems kind of exceptionally boring giving what we've seen of the Eternian population in past strips).
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38

I agree with using OOTS's style for background noise. It doesn't interfere with the new art at all.

Also, that ceremonial custode regalia uniform or whatever didn't look as majestic-as-**** as you would expect for such a high ranking corp. I would've vetoed too, without the ill intent of Rand.

9. - Top - End - #39

A fashion designer I am not. Maybe a few lens flare effects might help. Seems to be working out for Michael Bay's bank account.

Comic 671 is up.

10. - Top - End - #40

Did you have fun playing pretty pretty princess with randserentheyos?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

A used car salesman? That's really the worst you can do, Rand? I may have to revise my opinion of your fashion savvy.

Loved the goofy costume montage, and Rand accidentally whacking the store assistant into the wall. I'd say it's about 50/50 whether he's still not used to his new super-strength or he just doesn't care.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42

A used car salesman? That's really the worst you can do, Rand? I may have to revise my opinion of your fashion savvy.

Loved the goofy costume montage, and Rand accidentally whacking the store assistant into the wall. I'd say it's about 50/50 whether he's still not used to his new super-strength or he just doesn't care.
    Most surely, he doesn't care. He's known for his disregard of most humans, even more so than custodes. Were it not for comedic purposes, the store assistant should've exploded into a red, gory mist when she hit the wall (Dwarf Fortress style), and he still would not have reacted.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Though to be fair, as big a jerk as Rand is, onscreen I don't think we've ever actually seen him kill or seriously injure anyone except in self-defense (for a certain value of self-defense).
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44

Eh, probably both.

Comic 672 is up. This comic was originally going to be 6 panels but then...I realized Marnia couldn't possibly fit through the door.

Also, I think Panel 15 sums up the entirety of my comic up until this point.

Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2014-08-01 at 06:48 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

That was absolutely glorious (even if Marnia's new face still bugs me). Totally worth the longer-than-average wait for it to come out. Marnia looks positively d'awful, and Torn reacting with mild annoyance to being blown up was pretty great. Though I'm not sure I agree with his last line - if I saw a lizard with a chainsaw coming after me dressed like that, you can be fairly sure I'd be running like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Ing View Post
    Also, I think Panel 15 sums up the entirety of my comic up until this point.
    Needs more lasers. But otherwise, a fair assessment.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46

The new art style really helped with Marnia's expression through all that. I specially love panel 7, it's absolutely perfect. Although there are some pannels where her head looks too big, like number 10, and the close ups.

And, definitely, more lasers.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

By the way, I have a totally random question unrelated to the current comic: will dead characters continue to be indicated with X's for eyes in the new art style? While I'd personally be in favor, and it's already been used all along for more detailed characters like the Hypt Dragons, it occurs to me that it might look kind of weird with the new look for humanoids.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48

I've been debating that myself actually. Although the art style, as always, is developing, and if someone from two years in the future were to look back at these comics they'd notice clear and obvious differences. Any answer I may give is subject to change depending on my preferences.

If you want a more direct answer, i'd go with "Yes."

Also, sorry, no new comic yet. Try again tomorrow.

19. - Top - End - #49

Tomorrow is now

Comic 673 is up

Q? C? C?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well, this cannot possibly end well.

Also: an antimagic field is instant death to Arcane Incarnations? Wow. I guess it makes sense, but that's quite the glaring weakness, particularly given how high-level a world this seems to be. Certain even-more-overpowered individuals aside, they always seemed pretty unstoppable.

Edit: I wanted to take a moment to add that I actually felt a little worried for Marnia here. While she's not my favorite character (though she's definitely up there) and I certainly don't think it'd make narrative sense for anything seriously bad to happen to her here, I think it's greatly to your credit that, despite whatever criticisms I have about this comic - and there are a few I haven't voiced - I can get this invested in what happens to its characters.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2014-08-06 at 03:04 AM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51

I have to agree on the antimagic field. Never before have you presented an antimagic gimick (field, spell, technology...) so powerful, that not only can it kill an AI, but it can also prevent one from doing anything about it, despite their Custodian-level-of-power-but-magic-wise. It seems to be a bit of a "Contrived Coincidence" (WARNING: Tv Tropes link)

I do, however, like where this is going.
    Last edited by Keios; 2014-08-08 at 09:01 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I think the idea is less that this is a super-special antimagic field then it is that an AI just can't exist inside one because they're literally made of magic. What I find weird about that is more that someone who casts one (and it's not that high-level a spell) with an AI next to him would apparently instantly kill it. It seems like a pretty giant loophole in their near-invincibility.

(Incidentally, I've always found the use of "AI" as an abbreviation for "Arcane Incarnation" kind of confusing when there are also artificial intelligences in the comic).
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2014-08-08 at 03:12 PM.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53

There are no Artificial Intelligence in this comic, there are Omnissiah's children. PRAISE THE OMNISSIAH!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Keios View Post
    There are no Artificial Intelligence in this comic, there are Omnissiah's children. PRAISE THE OMNISSIAH!
    I doubt the Hyptians would care for that characterization.

(But stuff 'em, they're omnicidal jerks.)
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55

I doubt the Hyptians would care for that characterization.

(But stuff 'em, they're omnicidal jerks.)
    If they are like necrons regarding this (it depends on Emperor Ing), they might actually have vestigial body below an overpowering armor system, and thus not be entirely cybernetic.

What? No, of course I didn't forget about them on my previous post....SHUT UP!

26. - Top - End - #56

I have my own ideas regarding Hyptians (note: Professor Savaddor is a Hyptian and is not an omnicidal maniac) but all I can do is say that they are not Necrons. Any similarities between the Necrons (either Oldcrons or Newcrons) and Hyptians are (almost) purely aesthetic. I like black and green

Comic 674 is up. I had a LOT of fun making this comic, but it still look a long time to make.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I always assumed the Hyptians (well, the Hypt Dragons at least - the "proper" Hyptians aren't really that Necron-like) were just a logical extension of the Necron concept. Instead of robot skeletons, they're robot dragon skeletons.

As for the new comic: it was fun, but it also is a pretty perfect example of why I continue to have mixed feelings about the art change. There were a number of angles and expressions that wouldn't have really worked in OOTS style, but it just looked so different from any previous action scene.

I'm interested in metal-mask's implication that an antimagic field can nullify a Vector Witch's powers as well. It's looking more and more like every caster and their parent ought to have one prepared.

A minor glitch: Marnia's hammer appears to have disappeared in the third-to-last panel.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2014-08-10 at 07:32 PM.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

..... i think I missed something, why is the Vindicare dude the bad guy all of a sudden?
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    ..... i think I missed something, why is the Vindicare dude the bad guy all of a sudden?
    You mean the person in the metal mask? He (or possibly she) has been trying - albeit rather ineptly - to assassinate Torn for a while now because Torn is secretly something called a Vector Witch. I don't believe it's been explained precisely what a Vector Witch is, though everyone who's heard of them seems terrified of them, but we do know they're extremely powerful - Torn has one-shotted an Arcane Incarnation and survived a direct hit from a city-wrecking superlaser - and once caused a lot of devastation in a conflict called the Vector Wars, which metal-mask is apparently a survivor of.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2014-08-10 at 09:24 PM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60

Of course Paladins aren't completely useless! Don't blame the class for its mandatory alignment, that's the real pain in the ass.

I mean, of course, why go Paladin when you can go healer Cleric, but that's besides the point.