New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 52021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Well That was Unexpected Thread III: I Throw Comics at the Wall, You See What Sti

...aw, dammit, Arc.

I mean, I kinda knew something like this was coming, but still. Suspecting we may be about to hit the True Final Boss point for this chapter.

Why does he have no teeth in the first panel? Seems kind of odd to me.
    I imagine that's got something to do with being a robot in cyberspace. Pretty sure that's not the first time her mouth has been drawn like that.

Also Arc is a 'she', inasmuch as that means anything here.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2017-04-29 at 04:26 AM.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Well That was Unexpected Thread III: I Throw Comics at the Wall, You See What Sti

She has teeth in panels 6 and 10. It's true this is not something new, which I admit I had to check it, but this is the first time I pay attention to it I guess. It should always be one way or the other. Shouldn't it? I don't know, maybe I'm just having a weird day.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Colossus in the Playground

It's a function of the art style, and is hardly unique to Arc or Evil Arc. You can see it with Rand, Marnia, Jeroshaw, and other snouted characters. To be honest, i'm not sure I could draw the reptilian snootles with teeth without the characters looking too threatening for my liking. As evidenced by toothy grins, they do indeed have pointy teeth.

On second thought, Araske (The Tarrasque) actually looks non-threatening enough with his zig-zag mouth line. Truth be told, the changes with his template from OotS to this style were pretty minimal. The lizards when I was drawing them in the OotS style also looked fine with the zig-zag mouth line. Worth experimenting with...

Comic 893! Not experimenting with it just yet. Though I have been thinking about updating the art style again after the chapter's finished. My main problem is how shoulders aren't broad enough, and fundamentally i'm still using the same bodies from the original OotS templates. Heads looked better when I redrew them from scratch, I should try the same with the bodies too. Might also be worth it to shrink head sizes.

Questions? Comments? Critique?
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

That was a little anticlimactic. Though I love that Arc's original personality is actually a lot closer to her current one than I would have suspected.

It's a function of the art style, and is hardly unique to Arc or Evil Arc. You can see it with Rand, Marnia, Jeroshaw, and other snouted characters. To be honest, i'm not sure I could draw the reptilian snootles with teeth without the characters looking too threatening for my liking. As evidenced by toothy grins, they do indeed have pointy teeth.

On second thought, Araske (The Tarrasque) actually looks non-threatening enough with his zig-zag mouth line. Truth be told, the changes with his template from OotS to this style were pretty minimal. The lizards when I was drawing them in the OotS style also looked fine with the zig-zag mouth line. Worth experimenting with...
    I've actually always thought the classic OOTS-style kobolds look kinda cute with the zig-zag mouth lines. As long as the teeth are more stylized than distinct, I don't think it looks that threatening.
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

5. - Top - End - #875

Yeah no it doesn't look right. The jagged mouths look too visually noisy. But I think I know why: Outlines are too thick.

Comic 894 is up! And postimg is being ridiculous again. Bear with me here...

Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2017-05-07 at 12:03 AM.

6. - Top - End - #876
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

...Man, Evil Arc is really remarkably bad at actually being evil. I mean, I know there's got to be some other reason she did this, but still.

Yeah no it doesn't look right. The jagged mouths look too visually noisy. But I think I know why: Outlines are too thick.
    Got a sample image you could show?
    Show

7. - Top - End - #877

My bets are on Arc getting POWER OVERWHELMING out of this.
    Last edited by Keios; 2017-05-08 at 01:54 AM.

8. - Top - End - #878

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    ...Man, Evil Arc is really remarkably bad at actually being evil. I mean, I know there's got to be some other reason she did this, but still.
    Makes sense in context, I assure you.

As for sample images of alternate jaw lines, here you go.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #879
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Thanks. I personally don't think they look that visually busy, but I can see how others might disagree.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #880

I can honestly say that I like the second versions, but I'm undecided on which one I prefer.

11. - Top - End - #881

Quote Originally Posted by Keios View Post
    I can honestly say that I like the second versions, but I'm undecided on which one I prefer.
    Marnia and Rand aren't different versions, they're both there to demonstrate the same thing. Not sure I like it, however. I've been making some sketches redrawing them.

Still a WIP, obviously, but i've been experimenting with making the characters have shape motifs. Rand is rectangles. Marnia is circles. Kayl is triangles, Torn is squares. Kalros is more circles, Velites is lines (or extremely elongated triangles,) and Otiart is Rhombuses.

Comic 894! Obviously with the site down, I couldn't upload. But, here it is.

Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2017-05-14 at 08:57 PM.

12. - Top - End - #882

Just dropping in to say that at the time of this post, the comic link to 894 is to the image that is contained in the above post.

13. - Top - End - #883

Uh, yeah. That happened. Anyways, Comic 894 link works now. Thanks for the heads-up.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well, that was certainly a chaotic series of events. Though sadly I'm now suspicious that Savaddor really will die at some point in the near future.

Torn is squares.
    ahahahaha

Edit: Just noticed that this should actually be listed as comic 895.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2017-05-14 at 11:50 PM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #885

Edit: Just noticed that this should actually be listed as comic 895.
    ...damnit not again.

Comic 896 is up.

In the news of sketching random stuff, i've been looking at reducing the outline thickness of my character templates. The default thickness is 1.5. For areas of detail such as faces or hands (exceptions exist for large hands, such as Ser's) it's 1. For high-detail areas such as the E on Marnia's pauldrons, it's 0.5. As such, I figure scaling every area of 1.5 thickness down to 1 would make things look a bit better. Though some adjustments were needed, I think they actually look pretty okay IMO, especially in regards to giving the lizards serrated jaws.

Here's some more samples.

Spoiler
    Show

For reference, the first one on the furthest left is the original. To the right is the same line thickness with serrated jaws. Next to that is the line thinned, in addition to some changes on the snout height, and the furthest right, the empty space on the far right of the head is shrunk, among a few other minor tweaks.

I also have some damn cool looking stuff for the upcoming AU arc, but they're pretty spoiler-y so I won't share them, as much as i'm dying to. For example, what AU Marnia looks like under her mask. Let's just say...she needs it.

Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2017-05-16 at 03:32 PM.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

...why do people keep trusting Xeno?
    Show

17. - Top - End - #887

I don't have a preference for Rand, but the second Marnia from the right really sticks out for me, somehow looking better than the others. But most importantly, I realized that I would like to see Marnia with a thinner outline than Rand. I think it would make for a neat, subtle way to show a difference in their complexions, being female and male.
    Last edited by Keios; 2017-05-17 at 06:51 AM.

18. - Top - End - #888

Quote Originally Posted by Keios View Post
    I don't have a preference for Rand, but the second Marnia from the right really sticks out for me, somehow looking better than the others. But most importantly, I realized that I would like to see Marnia with a thinner outline than Rand. I think it would make for a neat, subtle way to show a difference in their complexions, being female and male.
    I see what you mean about the thinner outline, worth experimenting with. I'm a little wary, if only because Marnia's physically tougher than Rand. Maybe i'm crazy though. However I think the Marnia 2nd from the right's eyes are a little too 'startled' in my opinion.

Comic 897! Really, if anyone expected anything different...

Also, I made these. Rather significant redesigns of the lizard heads that make their eyes a bit more prominent and expressive. I hope, anyways.

edit: Also, their snootles are the same length as the current template. In fact, it's the exact same snootle, just with jagged jaw lines. If they look shorter, that's an optical illusion from having been moved a bit to the right.

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2017-05-19 at 09:10 PM.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Gotta disagree with Keios; the thinnest-outline Marnia doesn't really work for me. I like the stubbier snouts, though.

Comic 897! Really, if anyone expected anything different...
    Frankly, I'm surprised that took as long as it did. But still hilarious.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #890

You raise a valid point that, but I would be equally in favour of Rand having a thinner line than Marnia. When he's next to a physically superior character, which is almost everybody, it would get noticed easily and work well.

Yeah, this time the thinnest line doesn't work for me, somehow. I'm partial to Marnia's #1 and #2, for Rand I think it could work (as mentioned), but what's sure is that the thickest versions of both of them are my last choice.
    I don't see a problem with the eyes, they look fine with me, but have you considered also changing the thickness of the black lines, or maybe shrinking them the tiniest amount? When the body outlines get thinner, and the eyes stay the same, it stands to reason that they would become more prominent, and maybe even look bigger.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

TBH, though it's a bit irrelevant, I never thought Rand was that physically puny. I mean, he's a squishy blaster wizard archetype, sure, but at very high levels "squishy" is only really true in relation to other high-level fighter types.

edit: Also, their snootles are the same length as the current template. In fact, it's the exact same snootle, just with jagged jaw lines. If they look shorter, that's an optical illusion from having been moved a bit to the right.
    ...oh. Then I guess I like them being moved.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #892

It might make mechanical sense to make the eyes have a thickness of 1.5, as the head needs a 1.5 outline just so it matches everything else, but I don't think it looks good, personally.

On to other things: I made some rotations for the new lizard head template, Marnia specifically. I'll probably start using them next time she makes an appearance. I also started working on some new torso designs. My intention is for characters to have more distinct shoulders.

If I draw Marnia the most when i'm doing redesigns, it's because she's the most fun character to draw. Actually the most fun one to write, as well, so that theory that the chapter is taking so long because i'm trying to avoid having to write Marnia-speak, still incorrect

Anyways...

Spoiler
    Show

For reference, the body on the right is the original. The middle and left ones are broken into two distinct mechanical segments so that the abdomen more easily rotates, allowing for better posing. I prefer the one on the middle as it has both broader shoulders, and a more pronounced hourglass shape I think goes well with Marnia, who I always imagined wearing a corset under her armor and dresses. True fact.

Kinda means she won't be doing much in the field of abdominal flexibility, sadly.

Also the head at the top? Nothing much, just an idle curiosity as to what Marnia would look like if she were, say, younger.

Comic 898.

Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2017-05-24 at 10:59 PM.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I like Marnia too, but why would a lizard need a corset? There's trying to fit in with the humans who raised you, and then there's just being plain weir...

nevermind, I think I answered my own question.

Anyway, I really like the right head on the second row from the top.

Comic 898.
    Wait, only Savaddor and Kalros can respawn here? That's not suspicious at all. I was half-joking when I threw out "Savaddor is Kalros" a little while ago, but now I actually kinda wonder whether he might be a copy or something that evolved in his own direction.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #894

I like Marnia too, but why would a lizard need a corset? There's trying to fit in with the humans who raised you, and then there's just being plain weir...

nevermind, I think I answered my own question.
    kek

Wait, only Savaddor and Kalros can respawn here? That's not suspicious at all. I was half-joking when I threw out "Savaddor is Kalros" a little while ago, but now I actually kinda wonder whether he might be a copy or something that evolved in his own direction.
    Not confirming, not denying.

But I WILL say this: Kalros and Savaddor being able to respawn is not new information. The whole reason they're IN Hypt is to stop Kalros from being able to respawn.

Comic 899!

Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2017-05-28 at 11:01 PM.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

...I can't even guess anymore what Evil Arc is after, but I don't think she's gonna get it.

The Kalroses are still pretty great.

But I WILL say this: Kalros and Savaddor being able to respawn is not new information. The whole reason they're IN Hypt is to stop Kalros from being able to respawn.
    I know they can do it, but what's surprising is that the others can't (at least not in this particular server), which implies some kind of connection or similarity of nature between Kalros and Savaddor.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #896
    Titan in the Playground

I just jumped back a bit, and:

799: "I prefer .god, actually, and there's only one of me." -Kalros

This line has aged poorly.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2017-05-29 at 12:23 AM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

27. - Top - End - #897

...I can't even guess anymore what Evil Arc is after, but I don't think she's gonna get it.
    Don't worry, you'll find out pretty soon, and i'll just say she's in a damn good position to get what she wants, even right now.

Comic 900 is up! Featuring, new lizard heads! I also redrew Hypt Dragon heads using the new lizard heads as a template and I think they turned out exceptionally well. I actually didn't plan on redrawing them, but I didn't like the way they looked.

Also, I can safely say after friggin NINE HUNDRED COMICS I finally have a forward-facing lizard head that I actually am satisfied with.

Q? C? C?
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2017-06-01 at 11:10 PM.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Rand, you are not helping.

I really hope Ser pulls this off without too many disintegrations. I kind of like the robo-dragonballs.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #899

Rand, you are not helping.
    Rand, keep not helping.

30. - Top - End - #900

I'm gonna be honest, i'm surprised how not-at-all you all don't question how Ser can use green lightning.

In other news, i'm having that moment again. When you're a creative person who's been doing something for years, the temptation to go back and remake your older works is strong. REALLY strong. I cannot read my older comics, because of just how awful the art looks. There is SO much I wish I had been able to establish earlier. So many setting ideas, so many character personality traits and/or abilities.

The problem is that it's a slippery slope. If I go to remake the earlier comics, I have to remake the less-than-earlier comics and so on and so forth. All the while the progression of the comic, the actual progression drops to pretty much nothing.

So yeah. Just a mini-rant. Unless I REALLY need to, like if there's a continuity error, I won't remake older comics. They're fine just the way they are, and they do well to show just how far i've come as a writer and artist.

Comic 901!

Q? C? C?