New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Well That was Unexpected Thread III: I Throw Comics at the Wall, You See What Sti

Well, to be honest, I can't imagine whose backstory this could possibly be if not Rand's. WTWU is mostly an ensemble series in my view, but he's still clearly "the" protagonist.

Not that I'm actually looking for spoilers here. I don't know how much they'd really do for me anyway - by Emperor Ing's admission, half my favorite characters didn't even exist when the comic was started - but either way, knowing even small things about what's going to happen (or at least what was originally planned to happen) kinda takes some of the appeal out of a comic named for its unexpectedness.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Well That was Unexpected Thread III: I Throw Comics at the Wall, You See What Sti

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Ing View Post
    Comic 679 is up!

Questions? Comments? Critique?
    That's a lot of... teeth. I like the way you drew the bullets spreading out. I had no problems reading it as "She's immune to minigun."

Also: "Holy heck, she's immune to minigun?!"
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    That's a lot of... teeth. I like the way you drew the bullets spreading out. I had no problems reading it as "She's immune to minigun."

It's not a lot of teeth if you can count them. That's merely an adequate number of teeth for a carnivorous, capable-of-eating-an-adult-man species.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post

You're obviously new here. Welcome. The thermonuclear punch and cookies are over by the laser door

Comic 680.

Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Waitwaitwait. "Employer?"

...I'm going to have to come back and comment on the rest of the comic later, because that actually genuinely caught me off guard, and not in the usual wacky WTWU sense.

Edit: So now that I'm not flipping out over that little twist...

Unless the queen was assassinated twice - which is totally possible in a D&D setting when I think about it - this flashback puts an interesting spin on Marcellan's story from last comic. (And may I just take a moment to say that younger-Marnia is frankly kind of adorable).

I said it last time, but Emperor does Torn's sense of ethics confuse me. Most of the time, he seems like the only member of Team Rand with a remotely-functioning moral compass, and when he does things like this, it's hard to feel it's just an act. But when he's in Vector Witch mode, he seems like the most unambiguously capital-E Evil of them. Like I said before, as colossally self-centered and callous as Rand is, he's never outright murdered anyone that we've seen. Torn has. I'm really curious to see next time what he's going to do now that he knows Vinny knows what he is.

(Though actually, I suspect next time is going to cut back to Rand and Ser's Excellent Adventure).
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2014-09-04 at 12:00 AM.
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

6. - Top - End - #96

You're obviously new here. Welcome. The thermonuclear punch and cookies are over by the laser door

Comic 680.

This would be more dramatic if I believed, even if by a tiny fraction, that any of those 3 could be killed by an explosion, fall damage, falling into magma/molten metal, or any combination whatsoever. Alas, I don't believe so.

In fact, I think Vinny's life was in bigger jeopardy before this. The only reason I thought he could be killed with a laser, while hanging from one hand to a catwalk above said magma/molten metal, after an epic and balance battle, is that the rules of drama demanded his life to be at risk, not any of the perils.
    Last edited by Keios; 2014-09-04 at 10:22 AM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keios View Post
    It's not a lot of teeth if you can count them. That's merely an adequate number of teeth for a carnivorous, capable-of-eating-an-adult-man species.
    I think if I could count them then I'm standing too close for my safety. :3

Oh cookies!

Technically not knew as I've lurked onto the comic thread before... just first time I actually said anything since I now know you have cookies.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Keios View Post
    In fact, I think Vinny's life was in bigger jeopardy before this. The only reason I thought he could be killed with a laser, while hanging from one hand to a catwalk above said magma/molten metal, after an epic and balance battle, is that the rules of drama demanded his life to be at risk, not any of the perils.
    I'd say the rules of drama actually put him in more danger now: he's just dropped a significant reveal about his motivations that suggest his death won't be the end of the problem, given a reasonably cool exit line (and exit in general), and put the protagonists in more danger in a way that his survival is irrelevant to. I've seen villains die like this before.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I'd say the rules of drama actually put him in more danger now: he's just dropped a significant reveal about his motivations that suggest his death won't be the end of the problem, given a reasonably cool exit line (and exit in general), and put the protagonists in more danger in a way that his survival is irrelevant to. I've seen villains die like this before.
    "Villain" has to be debated, but that is an argument I'm not particular to have. It shall be decided by the Emperor Ing/the plot, so I much prefer to wait.

Regarding the rest, I give you 50% chance of being right. I see only 2 things that last panel might lead to: a "sacrificial" death you've described; or it might lead to the classic James Bond (I think it's the best troper, but probably not the original) escape: hit the explosion button, jump of the cliff, be saved by a plane/helicopter/Q's invention.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I actually agree that "villain" is debatable here. It's just shorthand.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101

I just asked, Q has no knowledge of any invention that may or may not otherwise be used to help Vinny escape.

Comic 681

12. - Top - End - #102

I find it understandable that domain magic works. It can be argued, and depends on the universe of course, but faith magic and conventional magic are very distinct to me.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Welp. Normally I would call Vinny as alive until/unless we see a body, but under the circumstances, that might be just a little difficult. I'm not as torn up about it as I might have been a few strips ago: that was a pretty spectacular exit, and I lost a little sympathy for him when it turned out he wasn't just a concerned citizen. And I guess this means that my theory that he was really Kaylethia has now...

gone down in flames.

And man, poor Marcellan. He's the one AI I actually like (Clanor was more love-to-hate), but the guy just never seems to get a break.

I'll admit I've never really understood how Marnia's angel powerup works, mostly because Comic 351 (which I think explains it) is a dead link. I would have reported it when I was going through the archives, but honestly I wasn't sure it was ever going to appear again.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104

I'll admit I've never really understood how Marnia's angel powerup works, mostly because Comic 351 (which I think explains it) is a dead link. I would have reported it when I was going through the archives, but honestly I wasn't sure it was ever going to appear again.
    Princess Marnia can effectively go Super Saiyan and you didn't think it would ever happen again?

Who do you think I am?!

Honestly though, it is kinda mind-blowing to think how long ago I introduced this.

In the meantime, here's Comic 351. Against all odds, I still have all comics from 340 upwards saved on my computer

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Princess Marnia can effectively go Super Saiyan and you didn't think it would ever happen again?

Who do you think I am?!
    It never seemed to work after that one time! (Except in Comic 413, but that was apparently immediately forgotten about and that whole part of the comic made even less sense than usual anyway).

Anyway, thanks for fixing that. A never-before-seen-comic with the Emperor is always a treat.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2014-09-08 at 01:05 AM.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106

It never seemed to work after that one time! (Except in Comic 413, but that was apparently immediately forgotten about and that whole part of the comic made even less sense than usual anyway).

Anyway, thanks for fixing that. A never-before-seen-comic with the Emperor is always a treat.
    Besides, that whole situation is pretty much gold.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Incidentally, after thinking about it a bit, I'm pretty sure I see a way for Vinny to have potentially survived this. Though now I rather hope he didn't - given all of the ludicrously-overpowered villains in this comic, I find it's kind of satisfying to see an antagonist actually killed off (even if there's decent odds he's going to turn out to have been in the right).
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108

Well it looks like someone is going to be very dissapointed.

Comic 682 is up! Apologies ti'esar

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

OH YES

I CALLED EVERYTHING

THE TRUE IDENTITY, THE IMMUNITY TO FIRE DAMAGE*, EVERYTHING

...Seriously, even with my previous comments and the fact that I saw it coming, I can't be disappointed at all here. Nicely done turn of events, and the last two panels were pretty funny. This also goes a long way to retroactively addressing my previous comments about how Kaylethia is one of the weaker characters, since while I did find her increasingly bland I came to quite like "Vinny". And I like the way she looks in the new art style, though the red eyes are sort of jarring.

The only issue I see is that it looks like the bottom of the last comic's last row of panels is stuck to the top of this comic.

* Okay, technically I didn't explicitly "call" this, but it's the way for "Vinny" to have survived that had occurred to me in my post prior to this one.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2014-09-11 at 08:54 PM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110

Let me just say: Any similarities between Vinny/Kayl and Vindicare Assassins are coincidental. In no way did the Vindicare Assassin cross my mind during the design process. It's actually based on the mask of the robot-thing seen in the picture of this video.

BUT WAIT!! There's more!

I mentioned a while ago that there's an alternate version to Comic 664. I had completed this version first but ultimately scrapped it because I felt Torn needed to have a more involved role rather than just everyone else's wingman. That and just by reading it you could tell it would have taken the last 18 comics in a completely different direction. I felt I had no idea where to go from it. I was going to wait until after Vinny's presence was revealed before posting this comic but for some reason it kept slipping my mind.

Anyways, at long last here's Comic 664 Alternate.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I mentioned a while ago that there's an alternate version to Comic 664. I had completed this version first but ultimately scrapped it because I felt Torn needed to have a more involved role rather than just everyone else's wingman.
    Which is kind of ironic, given that he barely showed up and the whole thing wound up being about Marnia and Kayl. He did wind up looking like less of a loser this way, I guess.

About the alt comic itself, the rent-a-sniper-window concept actually made me laugh out loud, but otherwise I think prefer things as they turned out. Though there were a couple of interesting details:

• I had actually never noticed myself that Rand and Rand-Sereyentheous (or however the heck you spell his name, I'm not looking it up again) had different eye colors. I do remember that Rand's is tied to his magic somehow, so that would explain it.
    • Marnia's little description of Rand is... surprisingly accurate. Charitable, certainly, but not nearly as delusional as I would have expected from her.
    • Only tangentially related to the comic itself, but something that I was recently thinking: I really like how the guns in this comic are drawn. They're surprisingly distinctive given the nature of the art style.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112

I have to agree that I never, even for a fraction of a second, thought that Marnia's interest in Rand was anything but a product of a missconstructed perception she had of him. That alternate comic gives some important insight into that situation, very important in my opinion. Now I know it already, but I think it deserves to be shown in a "cannon" strip.

Now, on to important business: Yes, yes, Ti'esar, we're very proud of you.
    Last edited by Keios; 2014-09-12 at 06:34 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113

Honestly, the more I think about it the more I thought about integrating that exact comic into becoming Comic 683.

I ultimately decided against it. Comic 683.

It will instead be integrated into Comic 684

24. - Top - End - #114

Finally! Now that the subplot is done, we can move on with the important part of the story!

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It begins!

You know, one thing I've never really been clear on: what is a technomancer, exactly, and how does one differ from a regular spellcaster?

Love the last two panels, and all of Marcellan's lines. I mentioned this last time, but his combination of constant loyalty to the royal family, lack of respect for it, and sarcasm about it is very endearing.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

On a totally unrelated note, I just found what appears to be a comic missing from the archives. Not sure what should be done with it since there's already a Comic 614 in there, but figured it was worth reporting.

Edit: Actually, here's another.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2014-09-15 at 08:59 PM.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117

Hmm. I recall reading the 4 of them, but I do not recall any explanation for this weird situation.

Speaking off: are the previous threads stored somewhere, or just erased? It would be very easy to just check the post history around that part of the comic.

EDIT: So, here you can see Emperor Ing post two comics as number 610, and he never gets called on it. The one you posted on your edit is the first 610 in the thread, and the second 610 in the thread is the 610 in the comic archive. The 609 in the previous thread and the 609 on the archive match, however.

The same thing happens for 614 next page: the second 614 posted is the one in the archives, and the first 614 posted, ti'esar original find, is nowhere I can find in the 610-620 range of the archives. Also, again, 613 in the archives and 613 in the thread match.
    Last edited by Keios; 2014-09-15 at 09:40 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118

I usually only find out these derps on my part in the exclusive and rare event I am posting these comics in the Archives. Put simply, if the filename says "614" and the Archive says "Comic 628" the Archive is correct.

However, if there is a missing comic with no link at all, it probably means that, for example, I made Comic 432 and Comic 433, however I accidentally named the latter "Comic 434." There's at least one of those in the archives somewhere so...

I suck

29. - Top - End - #119

I think you might have posted while I edited my findings in. I don't know what you did about file naming and such, but I know you posted two comics with the same number in their "Comic XXX is up" link, that noone ever noticed, that both times the second one got on the archives as the original number, and that both of the "originals" are not in there.

I think we might actually be in comic 686. =P

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I think Keios has it right: there were two Comic 614s posted by mistake, and so only one was put in the archives. Ditto the other comic.

On a related note, since you mentioned having all the comics since 340 still stored on your computer earlier, I'm going to go through and see if there are any others missing from the archives after that point. 351 is the only one that stood out to me when I originally read through them, but there might have been a few others.
    Show