New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Well That was Unexpected Thread III: I Throw Comics at the Wall, You See What Sti

Please do.

Now for some good news! Archives are updated to include the two missing comics which means the next comic WILL, in fact, be 686 (the comic numbers have indeed been updated)

In two days i'm gonna hesitate when I export the latest comic to my computer because i'm gonna think I should be making Comic 684, while a few months from now i'll be randomly browsing my files and wondering "What the Warp happened to Comics 684 and 685" and then be twice as confused when I find those exact comics in the archive.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Well That was Unexpected Thread III: I Throw Comics at the Wall, You See What Sti

So: Comics 376, 422, 469, 476, and 481 are missing or dead links in the archives. Most of them are still in the Photobucket album, which is why it didn't bother me the first time, but if they're still on your computer it can't hurt to fix the links.

Also, Comics 442 and 444 link to the same comic. I can't tell from the context which one it was actually supposed to be, which is why I'm listing it separately, but I'm guessing 444.

Not related to the above, but I see Chapter 11's finally gotten a name. I like it.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

I always thought "Title Pending" was the intended name. With this comic, it didn't seem to me as weird at all.

4. - Top - End - #124

Comic 442 effectively no longer exists. All the others have been restored except for 481 which for some reason is not saved on my computer, though I think I know where it MIGHT be. I'll see what I can do to get that one back.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Not to be a pest, but Comic 376 (which is on Photobucket, by the way) still isn't linked.

Edit: And now it is. Thanks.

By the way, this isn't really important, but I just realized the banner in your signature is slightly different from the big one in the first post.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2014-09-16 at 02:45 PM.
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

6. - Top - End - #126

I've been meaning to update both banners but i've been lacking in inspiration on either front. The reason the front banner looks different is because I made the one that's in my sig at a later date when my templates were slightly improved. The most noticable difference is that Angel Marnia's wings use wholly different templates.

Comic 684 686 is up. As predicted, it's saved in my files as 684

Questions? Comments? Critique?
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2014-09-17 at 06:44 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

...Well, if worst comes to worst, the palace kind of needs redecorating anyway.

That dress is definitely a step up from the last one (though that's admittedly not a big hurdle to clear).

And if Torn thinks having a giant tank is a clear giveaway that someone's not Rand, he needs to reread the first few chapters. I kinda miss that thing.

Also, there seems to be something weird art-wise going on with that guard's shoulderpads.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128

Is the classification as in "size/type" (like ships) unknown, or as in they've never seen it before and don't know what legion/squad/proper-term it belongs to? Anyway, I expect this tank to be shown in all of it's, no doubt, magnificent glory. Or you'll find me slightly irked. Explosions optional.

I also agree that those shoulder pads looks weird on panel 9. He's only on a slight angle to the left compared to panel 10, but they change dramatically.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

By the way, wanted to go ahead and post my theory for how this dinner is going to turn out in the end, once all the various mishaps and shenanigans are through:

Spoiler: Just in case I somehow get it right again
    Show
    My guess is that Ser and Marnia are actually going to hit it off really well, through their shared distance from normal behavior and in spite of (or possibly because of) Rand's efforts at sabotage. However, Marnia will eventually figure out Ser isn't actually Rand - something that seems rather more likely now that we know there's an actual reason for her thinking he is and not just Rule of Funny - and storm off, because she feels deceived and/or because "her heart belongeth it only to Rand" or some such. So everyone winds up getting left in an equally bad mood, as is fairly typical for this comic.

Also, I am totally calling it now that Torn is the Emperor's brother. (Not that that's going to come up now or anything, just guessed it after going through the archives looking for dead links the other day).

Edit: Okay, I gotta ask - why does this thing never flag "Marnia" for spellcheck? Weird.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2014-09-18 at 03:44 AM.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130

Yeah, her previous dress' ridiculousness was more of a self-parody of Princess Marnia's general tendency to wear crazy and poofy dresses. It's actually a direct lift from My Little Pony adapted for a humanoid character. I have no shame and no regrets

Comic 687

I know what i'm doing. I hope.

Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2014-09-24 at 11:59 AM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Ing View Post
    I know what i'm doing. I hope.
    The past 686 comics strongly suggest otherwise. Fortunately, they also suggest that won't be a problem.

The aquila symbols everywhere on the tank are a nice touch. And I look forward to seeing what mayhem Rand wreaks with it. But one question remains: how does a lizard blush?

Also: Rand's attempts at sabotage are going to backfire on him, CONFIRMED. (At least as far as the suit goes, which admittedly I thought was kind of a weak effort even at the time)

BTW, not really related to the comic but just something I'm wondering about since it popped up again here: what's with WTWU's idiosyncratic spelling of "screw" as "skrew", anyway? It's been pretty consistent from the very start.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2014-09-22 at 01:24 AM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132

Wait, wait, waitwaitwaitwaitwait!

Marnia thinks in normal speech?

13. - Top - End - #133

I like spelling screw "skrew." It has a bit more pop, I think. I do make a distinction. "Screwing a nail" is going to be used, but if a character says "Skrew you" it will be spelled with a 'K.' As you might imagine there haven't been very many situations in my comic where screwing something in occurs, and I am fully aware you don't "screw" most nails in.

Comic 688 is up.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Ah, thanks for answering that. I'd been curious, and I agree that the "k" spelling has more punch.

Anyway, this comic made me smile; I don't like Rand very much as a person but it's nice to see him getting to have fun without being immediately horribly injured or something for once. Though I'm curious why Ser's new puny mortal body seems unaffected by the tank's speed.

Are the bystanders in panel 5 supposed to be references to something? They have fairly detailed designs for nameless extras.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135

The "world" Custodes live in is so unimaginably out of our league, to them "Turned up to eleven" is actually called "what about the other 204.863 levels?" (cookie if you get the reference),

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Keios View Post
    (cookie if you get the reference),
    You mean "up to eleven" or the 204.863 levels bit? Because while I admittedly have nothing for the latter, I didn't think This Is Spinal Tap was that obscure yet.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    You mean "up to eleven" or the 204.863 levels bit? Because while I admittedly have nothing for the latter, I didn't think This Is Spinal Tap was that obscure yet.
    Yes, sorry for being unclear. I was, in fact, talking about 204.863.

Spoiler: It's from P.T. I needed a random high number so I went with it.
    Last edited by Keios; 2014-09-26 at 07:55 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

By the way, going back to the subject of missing comics for a moment, I've noticed that Comics 245, 262, 264, 274, 281, 283, and 286 are all still available on Photobucket despite being dead links in the archive. Assuming the comics don't still exist anywhere else, you might want to switch in these links sometime. Some of them seem to have shrunken down somehow, but they're all still readable with an effort, so I'd say it's worth adding them.

(In particular, I was rather pleasantly surprised by Comic 245 - while I've found most of WTWU's more obviously referential moments to be kind of poorly done, this one was actually pretty clever).
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139

Ah, the longest comic I ever made. I'll see to fixing the links, but i'm a bit preoccupied ATM.

Only 204.863? If it were TRULY Custodes, it would be a comma, NOT a decimal point.

Comic 689 is up.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Ing View Post
    Gotta say, this one felt pretty incomplete - it just came across as a transitional strip and nothing more.

I do like the flattened effect with Marnia, though hopefully she'll snap out of it before long.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Gotta say, this one felt pretty incomplete - it just came across as a transitional strip and nothing more.

I do like the flattened effect with Marnia, though hopefully she'll snap out of it before long.
    Those happen from time to time, and are absolutely necessary. I felt that way about OotS until the most recent comic (963), but I understood that it was the beginning of a chapter so it needed time.

The conversations are fine, that's enough for me.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Firbolg in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keios View Post
    Those happen from time to time, and are absolutely necessary. I felt that way about OotS until the most recent comic (963), but I understood that it was the beginning of a chapter so it needed time.

The conversations are fine, that's enough for me.
    Pacing can be a very tricky thing to balance after all. I don't personally mind shorter, abrupt pages so long as it helps move the plot along better. This one is no exception.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It's not really about length - there's been short comics I liked and long comics I disliked. It just feels like this one was nothing more than moving from point A to point B, with most of the jokes being stuff we already knew (i.e., Custodes take everything up to eleven million and have really long names). It's not the end of the world or anything, but this is probably the first comic since I caught up with the archives that left me feeling disappointed.

On a more positive note, though: HOLY CARP THAT BANNER. Previously I've felt the art shift has been at best a mixed blessing for the lizardpeople characters, but Rand actually looks really cool. The back-to-back pose he's striking with Xeno is pretty badass, and I take it as a hopeful sign that the latter will return to the comic sooner rather than later. And I always like Hypt's retro-techno aesthetic, though I'm not sure what to make of the fact that it's actually a separate image from the WTWU half of the banner. I don't know if that banner would get me to read this comic if I wasn't already doing so, but as a current reader it does get me pumped up.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144

Actually, the right side of my banner, as of a few minutes ago, links to something completely different that i'm working on.

Check it out!

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yay, I'm part of a supremely elite group!

I'll check it out in more detail sometime later.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146

Yep. That's a thing.

Wanna know what else is a thing?

Comic 690

27. - Top - End - #147

This is going exactly as planned predicted expected imagined....
    This is going exactly within the standard deviation.

But more importantly, pufferfish Marnia is, dare I say, adorable.

And less importantly: I have to say, even when three-dimensional, they look extremely when viewed from the side. Specially Randsereyentheus, Marnia's figure is helped by the....cape? mantle? That thing.
    Last edited by Keios; 2014-10-02 at 11:00 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well, I'd call that a return to form. (Emperor's Hissy Fit: ). And I can't say the side views bother me much if at all, honestly.

Not quite sure what to make of Marnia apparently accidentally slipping into normal English (normal Common? Normal Gothic?) for a moment.

What exactly is Ser doing in panel 3? That's not what Rand's magic ever looked like, and I don't just mean the color.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149

Ser's definitely casting. Just not in the usual way.

Comic 691 is up.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Man, can't a couple of lizards have a nice dinner (or... not, apparently?) anymore without a gaggle of Imperial Guardsmen crashing the place?! They should totally complain to the manager, at least if she survives.

And yay, Powers is finally back! Apart from a cameo or two he's been gone for like a hundred comics. Too bad the other Custodians aren't there, as their interactions with him were pretty great, but there's some interesting potential here.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2014-10-07 at 09:08 PM.
    Show