New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Sun's Hunters - Team A

Marius looks on, and thinks,"Hmm, I wonder what our Knight really is... it seems Prof. Oak does not approve of him."
    Lu'ciel, First Age Sorcerer-King of the Unconquered Sun avatar by linkele. many thanks to the person

Extended List of Games I'm in or GM'ing

My homebrew setting: Raeus

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

"Sorry if I'm putting my nose where it wasnt invited, but... is this discussion all about the fact the ogres took some of the lands you want to regrow once we recapture the castle? I dont know Knight too well, but he doesnt seem like the standart ogre and even gave a lesson of wisdom a while back", Primus says wondering if the giant Oak was being racist for the ogre being an ogre.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

"Not for being an ogre, no." Oak explains. "This one was born to war, to destroy. He does not walk this path, but he still exhumes an aura of death and danger. He was not born like a living being of this world, neither does he walk like one. I respect the fight against his nature and his contribution to Guard's Edge, but his presence brings pain and disturbs my forest."
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"With all due respect knight" Arriver say "I do understand you might be insulted by Oak's words, but he is the master of this woods,though i do not quite understand the nature of this.". He turned to the tree "If his presence is sickening to you, why did you let him enter the forest in the first place ?"

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

"I was thinking in letting Knight in the Ranger's Outpost to train the next generation...", Primus says to Oak and Knight but never finish his phrase as he seems to be focused on something only he can see, lost in thoughts perhaps?

He then shake his head after a few seconds and look at the hermit, "We'll bring you a nice wife once we clear the Keep and if you dont mind I would like to talk about nature with you... And spells... And nature spells...", and he again drifts off watching some rabbits running close to Oak's roots.

"Ok!", he break off his trance, "Let's go! We have a Castle to capture and a long day ahead! Seeya Oak, Hermit. Let's go?"
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Armored up, and mounted, Damien looks at Primus.
    "It is long past time to go."

He heads out, pausing at the edge of the clearing to let everyone else catch up.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

"Let's go! Go! Go!", Primus say to the rest and ride his stag to Damein's side, "Last one will marry the hermit!".

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm ready to move forward

8. - Top - End - #458
    Troll in the Playground

"Let's go Aurelius, we're going house sitting today," Marius says, chuckling at his own joke.
    Lu'ciel, First Age Sorcerer-King of the Unconquered Sun avatar by linkele. many thanks to the person

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

Oak listens patiently to Arriver and Primus. "As I said, I respect who he is. His work against his own nature deserves more than contempt. I wish for him to leave, but I wish for myself to feel otherwise as well."

Knight nods. "I understand your position and I do not hold it against you, just as you do not hold my birth against me."

And with those parting words, you mount on your new stags and race out of the forest. They stride through the woods, barely touching the undergrowth, and you see Knight running with ease alongside you, even with your incredible pace. It is not long before you are out of the woods and overlooking the planes and...

The grass is black, devouring the sunlight without letting any escape. The fields of darkness stretch out in front of you and a chill only the undeath can stand creeps into your bones. The stags falter and hesitate, but with only a bit of encouragement they will continue forward.

At the edge of sight you can see the small keep that is known as the Shoreline Castle, still too far to make in detail, with the river of black water flowing behind it. Skeletons, with the rare few zombies, of different sorts, some humanoid, others of animals, roam the countryside, but they don't seem to react to your emergence quite yet.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

Primus look at the black grass and think a little about it.

Spoiler: Knowledges
    Show
    Nature (1d20+15)[29]
    Arcana (1d20+17)[25]
    Religion (1d20+15)[33]
    Planes (1d20+15)[22]

"Mage Armor!", he says involving the party in a force full plate, "I guess we'll have to deal with some skeletons to get to the Keep...", he says reaching for his quarterstaff.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Troll in the Playground

"This land is blessed with a powerful aura of death it seems, as well an non-sentient undead. Perhaps their master is in the castle?" muses Marius as he sees the devastation and undead near the castle. As he looks at the castle he begins to draw up a thousand stratagems for seizing it for his group, checking to see if there are any holes by which their group could enter the keep more easily.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

Talon could tolerate many things when it came to the dead, being one of Wee Jas's flock, as well as an undead himself. However when it came to those that created such creatures with no intelligence something inside of him seemed to snap. To defile the dead in such a manner was uncalled for and sacreligous in all civil worlds, and even Wee Jas made it a mandate that even those created in undeath were only to continue on like that until they had figured out the mystery they were trying to uncover, and after seek out destruction. So when the land itself was tainted by the animated corpses of the living, Talons blade immediately was drawn from his sheath, as he used his holy symbol to bolster himself against any form of turning or rebuking.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Arcane (1d20+9)[20] Grass
    Knowledge religion (1d20+10)[25] Grass
    Spellcraft (1d20+10)[28] Grass

Knowledge Arcane (1d20+9)[25] Undead
    Knowledge religion (1d20+10)[17] Undead
    Spellcraft (1d20+10)[17] Undead

13. - Top - End - #463

GreenSorcererElf

Undead. Lovely. Hextor should allow me to take control, but this looks like a necromancer has became very comfortable here indeed. Not good.

Damien dismounts, and removes the two seeds from his mount's eyes, pocketing them, before drawing his flail once more.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

14. - Top - End - #464
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Primus
    Show
    The entire area is obviously effected by some sort of corruption, but the undead aren't behaving in a way typical to mindless undead. If they were controlled, they would be staying still or doing a specific task, while uncontrolled undead may roam, they wouldn't ignore your presence. These undead walk randomly in groups or individually... The magic that animates them seems weak, as if they only have basic motor skills and even if they were to attack you, they would not be a threat. But if the source of the animation is within the keep, quite far from here, what you encounter closer to the center might be quite different.

Spoiler: Talon
    Show
    The corruption of the area is not something unfamiliar to you. Your rebirth happened under similar circumstances. But usually Desecrate is temporary and on a smaller scale... From the tingling sensation of the energies, you know that this form of Desecrate has the shrine of the original caster in the center. Still, this magic had been here for a long time, a few centuries, and it is reaching so far...

The undead that roam the countryside seem weak and fragile, probably raised naturally and not by the hand of a necromancer. You know that such undead usually have some hunger in them, but these shamble around without purpose at all.

Perhaps a Consecrate spell will be able to cure the land, but the normal version seems quite weaker than the Desecrate effective here. Maybe cure patches of the land, but within the walls, you have doubts about its effectiveness. Destroying the shrine might help, but that would surely attract the attention of the deity, too.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

As Talon feels the familar tingling feeling of a desecrated nature, he looks to the black grass and the undead. No not normal, it seemed linked to an altar, and if that was the case it may even have another spell hidden within its layers once one walked inside the perimeter. However as he saw the undead not being harmed he slowly took the seeds out of his stags eyes and turned back to the others. I think this may be the opposite of a hallow spell everyone, and from the looks and feel of it I would have to guess it were tied to an altar. Meaning at the center the magic would be most powerful, however if you look at these undead out here they seem more then mindless, I am going to try something. Please stay off of the blackened grass until I give you the okay. Talon says before walking over to the nearest undead and attacking it with one of his most powerful strikes that was blessed by Wee Jas herself.

Spoiler
    Show

Stance Martial Spirit

Maneuvers (1d6)[6]
    Maneuver 2 (1d5)[1]

Attack (1d20+10)[29] Damage (1d8+4)[12] + maneuver

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

Primus look at the grass and dismount, taking the eyes of the stag and pocketing them away.

"Whoever did this must have been a pwoerful caster... And probably the Shoreline Keep will be crowded with some more pwoerful undeads...", he then wait to Talon to say its ok to step on teh grass and even gather a handful to study it once they take the castle.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

Talon's sword crashes through the skeleton and meets little resistance as the bones fall and scatter on the black grass. However, after a few moments, the bones begin to shake and, very slowly, move towards each other. It will take a while, but perhaps the skeleton will reform itself...

18. - Top - End - #468
    Troll in the Playground

Marius watches as the skeleton appears to slowly patch itself together and says,"It appears that the dead do not remain so for long. I suggest we try to reach the castle as soon as possible so we can disrupt this power before it takes much notice of us."

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

"These skeletons dont seem like trouble", Pirmus tell Talon and take a courageous step into the black grass and see if any harm come from this.

If nothing happens, he tell the others, "If this is a desecrated spell-like effect it wouldnt harm any of us, so we better keep going cause this castle wont capture itself alone".

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

As Talon watches the skeleton fall to pieces, easily dismantled, he nods as if he expected such a thing to happen. Getting ready to turn back to the others and ask one of them to step onto the grass Talons eyes catch movement behind them. Where his enemy once stood, defeated and very much dead, now it was trying to place itself back together. Using a simple cantrip, he tries to determine if this was due to some magical effect, or something else.

Spoiler: Detect magic looking at the bones that are trying to place themselves back together, looking to see if it is coming from the bones themselves or the land. As such he will examine it for as long as he has to.

Spellcraft checks to id the source of the spell if it is one.

[roll0
    Show
    Bones
    (1d20+10)[25] Grass

Wanting to try something, else Talon takes the skeletons head and carries it outside the blackened grass, not much but enough so the magic should not be able to touch it, to see what would happen.

* post roll count doesn't match database

21. - Top - End - #471

GreenSorcererElf

Damien looks around, before heading out across the field, heading towards the keep.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

22. - Top - End - #472
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Arriver too followed the rest, but took his role as the party's scout. Checking the ground, he looked for footprints. Not of bare feet, such as the skeletons and the zombies in this cursed place, but of boots. Whatever power held within the walls, it would had to get out once a while. He needed to know how many would reside there approximately.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival check Looking for footprints of boots (1d20+1)[16]
    (Ignore this, wrong modifier)
    [roll]1d20+12[/roll].
    Last edited by Sephir; 2014-07-21 at 02:46 AM.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

Talon determines easily that it is the magic infused in the land that seems to cause the reanimation of the skeleton, and he confirms it after moving the skull out of the borders of the black grass. But the rest of the bones don't seem to stop their movement to reform.

As you make your way towards the castle, the tingle of the necromantic power intensifies further. The undead seem to have better motor skills here, but they still don't seem to pay any attention to you, seemingly contempt with wandering aimlessly. About three hundred feet from the keep, you see something that you would have probably expected by now. Intelligent undead.

A group of five ghouls seems to have gathered a couple of dozen of skeletons, removed their skulls and are busy hurling them back at their owners, seeing them break apart and reassemble, far more quickly than the one Talon broke near the border.

One of the ghouls notices you approaching and points you out to the others, who wave at you. One of the bunch throws a skull towards you, motioning for you to give it a go and throw at the skeletons.

24. - Top - End - #474

GreenSorcererElf

Damien, seeing the strange sight, pauses for a moment, before taking up the skull, and bowling it, trying to knock the feet out from under several of the skeletons. However, he doesn't pause in his advance towards the fort for more than a moment or two.
    Such games can be fun, but we have a goal to complete.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

"Skull volley?", Primus think out loud as he see the ghouls playing and throwing the skulls around, "Hey! Can you speak?", he shout at the ghouls.
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2014-08-11 at 09:46 AM.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

The skull crashes through the legs of a few skeletons, bounces off the ground and flies back into the hand of one of the ghouls. He spins it on his finger as he speaks. "Of course we can! What kind of unholy mockery of life you make us? Zombies?!" The others laugh. "What brings you here, anyway? Living visitors rarely come here..."

27. - Top - End - #477

GreenSorcererElf

Damien looks to the others for a moment, before speaking up, his voice filled with confidence(Or overconfidence)
    "We're here to seize the fort. Do you know anything about what's inside?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

The ghouls stop with their game. "You aren't planning on eradicating the source of the unholy energies, are you? We rather like what it did to the atmosphere of this place..."

"Yeah! It made this place so habitable and this fancy shade of black had done wonders to the property value in our circles..." Another ghoul adds.

29. - Top - End - #479

GreenSorcererElf

Damien shrugs.
    "That depends entirely on the source of the unholy energies. If it can be controlled, it may be useful. If it can't be controlled..."
    His voice trails off suggestively.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

As Talon and the others come across the undead he is a bit surprised at their intelligence as well as the increased rate at which the ones here seemed to regenerate. As our friend said it all depends on if the source can be controlled. As an undead myself I can understand the appeal, however it also drives away those who could say potentially buy goods from us? However as an arcanist, and one who dabbles in necromancy I am also intrigued by this power. Do you have any suggestions? Or could you perhaps even show us where this power source is. Perhaps we can work out a deal. Talon says to the ghasts as he looks to the skeletons with disdain. Though with the ruby mask it would be impossible to tell his emotion.