New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

confused Belkar's ranger spells

Excuse me if this has already been posted, but has Belkar been shown using his ranger spells in the OotS comic strips so far?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Belkar's ranger spells

Just a scroll once after V used magic to raise his WIS. Normally Belkar's WIS is too low to cast spells.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Belkar has an ability score penalty in Wisdom, so he cannot cast any spells unless his Wisdom is raised. All he really does is stab people, as far as fighting goes.

Peelee’s Lotsey

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yeah, he presumably only picked Ranger as his class for the two-weapon fighting stuff--he can't cast spells, he can't track, and until recently he didn't have any sort of animal companion either.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Funny thing about Belkar...for all his blood knight maniac tendencies...

We don't even know what his favored enemies are! He should have a few by now.

Goblinoid would be an obvious pick for that beautiful 'sexy shoeless god of war' shot...

But he should still have a couple more.

Anyways, I predict he'll meet his demise without ever casting a single ranger spell or putting a skill point in survival.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

I always had the impression that Kobold was on Belkar's favored enemy list, given his reaction to even non-linear guild associated kobolds such as the oracle.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Yes, i also thought it's canonical that kobolds are Belkar's favorite enemies.

8. - Top - End - #8

So, Goblinoids, Kobolds (is there a greater category for kobolds? Nobody likes being limited to a single race...), and one other thing, as he's a 11+ level Ranger.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

I can't find where the Giant said this, but IIRC, the Giant said once in an interview that he once DM'd a group where one of the rangers had humans as a favored enemy, and that that ranger partially inspired Belkar. My memory could be totally making things up, but given how much Belkar enjoys killing humans, I'd put good money on that being one of his favored enemies, possibly the first one he took.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

10. - Top - End - #10

Aha! That'd do it then.

Humans, Goblinoids, Kobolds. He's supposed to have 3, so he's set for that.

Unless he's level 16, in which case, he might have 15 levels of ranger. But...he's also got barbarian levels, we're just not sure how many.
    Last edited by Angelalex242; 2014-06-10 at 04:44 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

The fact he could suddenly start seeing traps in the pyramid might mean he picked up the barbarian's Trap Sense ability, which would get him Barb3. For more analysis, check out the class and level geekery thread.

Kobolds come under Humanoid-Reptilian, along with lizardmen and troglodytes.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm sure Belkar would argue that "Everybody" qualified as a valid category for Favored Enemy. In any case, that's how he seems to treat it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    I'm sure Belkar would argue that "Everybody" qualified as a valid category for Favored Enemy.
    "Anyone who gets in his way, or looks like they might be thinking about getting anywhere sort of near his way at some unspecified future point".

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sure Belkar would argue that "Everybody" qualified as a valid category for Favored Enemy. In any case, that's how he seems to treat it.
    Not everyone. He says right in strip #450: he doesn't bother with undead, they're no fun to kill.

15. - Top - End - #15

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    The fact he could suddenly start seeing traps in the pyramid might mean he picked up the barbarian's Trap Sense ability, which would get him Barb3.
    No, that ability doesn't help him detect traps, only to avoid the trap (e.g. falling into an open pit) and the effects of the trap once it's activated:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Trap Sense (Ex)
    Starting at 3rd level, a barbarian gains a +1 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps. These bonuses rise by +1 every three barbarian levels thereafter (6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, and 18th level). Trap sense bonuses gained from multiple classes stack.
    Basically, he can spring traps more safely.

And Spot is not a Class Skill for Barbarians.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    And Spot is not a Class Skill for Barbarians.
    So, is the fact that he can see traps evidence that he finally put some ranks into Spot?

Peelee’s Lotsey

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Angelalex242 View Post
    So, Goblinoids, Kobolds (is there a greater category for kobolds? Nobody likes being limited to a single race...), and one other thing, as he's a 11+ level Ranger.
    I'm guessing humans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    So, is the fact that he can see traps evidence that he finally put some ranks into Spot?
    That, or the traps just weren't very well hidden. They weren't under pressure, so maybe he was taking 10, and the spot DCs were all nine or lower without the illusions.

18. - Top - End - #18

Lower than that--he has a WIS penalty, after all.

19. - Top - End - #19

Funny thing about Belkar...for all his blood knight maniac tendencies...

We don't even know what his favored enemies are! He should have a few by now.
    I'll go with "sapient living beings".
    My blog: Alien America - amusing incidents and creative misinterpretations

20. - Top - End - #20

Aha! That'd do it then.

Humans, Goblinoids, Kobolds. He's supposed to have 3, so he's set for that.

Unless he's level 16, in which case, he might have 15 levels of ranger. But...he's also got barbarian levels, we're just not sure how many.
    He does mention how he wants to go back to his village and murder everyone in their sleep, so maybe Halfling are one of his favorite enemy choices.
    "When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive." –Malkavian proverb

"From the tiny egg the great wyrm grows." –Kobold proverb

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I think that ogres, humans, and especially kobolds are the only specific types of creature that we've ever seen Belkar express any particular desire to kill. That would make his probable favored enemies Giants, Humans, and Reptilian Humanoids.

That he's fought a lot of goblinoids seems to be mostly a matter of circumstance; he just wound up joining a party on a quest to destroy a lich with a bunch of goblin and then hobgoblin minions.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

22. - Top - End - #22

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheDog View Post
    He does mention how he wants to go back to his village and murder everyone in their sleep, so maybe Halfling are one of his favorite enemy choices.
    On a slightly related topic- one of my players wanted to craft "Arrows of Jerk Slaying", on the theory that once per day, he could state, "I want to slay (pointing to enemy) that Jerk right there."

"Jerk" wasn't the exact word he used, but this is a clean forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

23. - Top - End - #23

On a slightly related topic- one of my players wanted to craft "Arrows of Jerk Slaying", on the theory that once per day, he could state, "I want to slay (pointing to enemy) that Jerk right there."

"Jerk" wasn't the exact word he used, but this is a clean forum.
    Mmmm... now I want a magic weapon of Slaying and Jerking for my cannibal halfling.
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I've never played with ranger in 3.5 so I have to ask:

If Belkar gains some more Wisdom (to cast spells), will there be any "gamechangers" on his spellist? Or just some little help here and there?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

The ranger spell list is best described as occasionally mildly useful. Belkar's honestly not losing that much by being unable to use it.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Assuming Belkar is an 11th-level Ranger and is given a Periapt of Wisdom +4 or +6 to give him 12-13 WIS, he would have two first-level spells and a second-level spell every day. First-level options that Belkar would be fairly likely to use include the following, for prior issues and current combat choices:
    -Charm Animal
    -Endure Elements
    -Jump
    -Longstrider
    -Resist Energy

None of these would sway the game at all, though Entangle would actually be useful lockdown even in Kraagor's tomb, as many of the creatures may be landlocked and therefore vulnerable to the debuff. Belkar would be unlikely to do that, though.

Second-level options Belkar seems likely to use would include the following, seeing as he's very combat-oriented and likely to use these resources to buff himself:
    -Barkskin
    -Bear's Endurance
    -Cat's Grace
    -Protection from Energy

Again, there are a handful of useful harrying options here, including Wind Wall, Spike Growth, and Snare.

Overall: tons of potential for fun here, but nothing that could significantly impact any combat the Order would already have trouble with.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Of course, Belkar would also need the intelligence to realise what the best spells to use in any situation would be, so you'd best add some sort of intelligence-boosting item to the list of requirements there, too.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Of course, Belkar would also need the intelligence to realise what the best spells to use in any situation would be, so you'd best add some sort of intelligence-boosting item to the list of requirements there, too.
    I'm going with stuff he already knows about and appreciates, while noting that a lot of the best spells are things he wouldn't use. He likes to get in there personally, so he'll be using his buffs, and he would want to not be a friggen hobbit fajita again, so he would be likely to at least consider the resistances. Note that Owl's Wisdom isn't on the list, because he's not smart enough to consider a spell that boosts a mental score.

29. - Top - End - #29

His most useful spells would probably be things he could cast on his animal companions. Imagine Mr Scruffy or Bloodfeast with Magic Fang.

That's something he would find amusing, I think.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Belkar's favored enemies, if I recall, are:
    1. Humans.
    2. Reptilian Humanoids
    3. Undead