New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dwarf Fortress Succession Game #6 in the Playground! Return of the Evil Biomes.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Dwarf Fortress Succession Game #6 in the Playground! Return of the Evil Biomes.

*makes a note to ignore it completely, for comedy*
    Engraved here is a rendition of an image of the Dwarf Fortress learning curve. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It depicts an obsidian overhang which menaces with spikes of obsidian and tears. Carved on the overhang is an image of Toady One and the players. The players are curled up in a fetal position. Toady One is laughing. The players are burning.
    ᴛʜɪs ɪs ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ sɪɢɴᴀᴛᴜʀᴇ.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    I found it, just not before the zeds were already inside the fort.

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    ...wait, did Wookieetank just destroy another fortress?
    Yeah.... Thought I had this one in the bag, but noooooooo, 8 zombies is too much for 80+ dwarves to handle. Last time I order decent rooms for anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

4. - Top - End - #364

Well, I wasn't sure what to expect, so I walled off the wagon, put in an upstair/downramp with a hatch to the exterior and dug a similar link to the rest of the fort, got the floodgates up, and put in a second depot outside.
    Spoiler
    Show

Going to see how much of the lower section can be reclaimed without military action, and I thought you said stuff was reanimating?

I set up my usual cage-traps around the butcher shop with no sign of it, what did I miss?

Edit: embarked with a bunch of cinnabar to make the first wall, ended up using it for some slabs pretty quickly as well.

I prefer when I can use petrified wood blocks but they weren't an option here, and I was expected a bloodsoaked horrorshow so I figured red would work well.

Doubleedit: weird seeing stuff in different tilesets.
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Max™; 2014-10-13 at 06:15 AM.
    Engraved here is a rendition of an image of the Dwarf Fortress learning curve. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It depicts an obsidian overhang which menaces with spikes of obsidian and tears. Carved on the overhang is an image of Toady One and the players. The players are curled up in a fetal position. Toady One is laughing. The players are burning.
    ᴛʜɪs ɪs ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ sɪɢɴᴀᴛᴜʀᴇ.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max™ View Post
    Well, I wasn't sure what to expect, so I walled off the wagon, put in an upstair/downramp with a hatch to the exterior and dug a similar link to the rest of the fort, got the floodgates up, and put in a second depot outside.
    Spoiler
    Show

Going to see how much of the lower section can be reclaimed without military action, and I thought you said stuff was reanimating?

I set up my usual cage-traps around the butcher shop with no sign of it, what did I miss?

Edit: embarked with a bunch of cinnabar to make the first wall, ended up using it for some slabs pretty quickly as well.

I prefer when I can use petrified wood blocks but they weren't an option here, and I was expected a bloodsoaked horrorshow so I figured red would work well.

Doubleedit: weird seeing stuff in different tilesets.
    Spoiler
    Show

I don't remember seeing any of our guys reanimating, just the siege mobs being animate corpses. So if the siege left once the fort died, you might not have any resistance. Dunno how mobs leaving works though, particularly after a fort is lost. *shrugs*
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

6. - Top - End - #366

Oh good, so the extra caution won't be needed then. I was treating it like a zombie outbreak needing quarantine. Still easy enough to just go start cleaning up.
    ᴛʜɪs ɪs ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ sɪɢɴᴀᴛᴜʀᴇ.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ettin in the Playground

Everything I killed stayed dead, so I don't think there's any reanimating biome on the map (I didn't see one when I embarked, but I've been known to miss these things). There is a tower nearby, which was probably the proble,m.

8. - Top - End - #368

Oh that's good to hear. Still recovering my sinus status but I'm chipping away at the cleanup.

Got my medicine coming tomorrow I think so I will hopefully be better and get a full session going trying to fix the mess Wookie hath wrought.

Here, would you like this fortress, Max?
    Sure, I'll have it.
    *CRUSH*
    *Zoom, Zoom, Zoom*

Thanks Wookie, thookie.
    ᴛʜɪs ɪs ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ sɪɢɴᴀᴛᴜʀᴇ.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Phobus tileset hurts my eyes.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

10. - Top - End - #370

Not phoebus, I can't use that one either, it's a mix of spacefox and bisasam I made.

Can't do the turn btw, keeps throwing segfaults at me when I try to build certain things*, don't have it in me to figure out why atm.

*Certain things like WALLS AND STAIRS...

Note happening on other saves so I don't know why it is doing it now, might be because I reclaimed all the items on the map or something, I dunno, but yeah, started getting the crashes after I had removed a downstair to put in a rather important up/down stair, not even gonna try to play without being able to build basic things like that.
    Last edited by Max™; 2014-10-14 at 02:06 AM.
    ᴛʜɪs ɪs ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ sɪɢɴᴀᴛᴜʀᴇ.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max™ View Post
    Can't do the turn btw, keeps throwing segfaults at me when I try to build certain things*, don't have it in me to figure out why atm.
    I didn't do it! Could always start a new embark instead of trying to reclaim Wookiee's (two e's thank you very much ) fortress of doom.

12. - Top - End - #372

True, dunno why it's not wanting to let me do that one, any preferences?
    ᴛʜɪs ɪs ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ sɪɢɴᴀᴛᴜʀᴇ.

13. - Top - End - #373

Edit: I tried a few more times to get the recovery save working, I'm guessing whenever I went through and did d-b-c from way down deep in the top right corner to way up high in the bottom left corner it screwed something up because it doesn't like me trying to build anything which requires going into a submenu.

Alright, ends in Summer, I think it actually started in late spring so I just went ahead to Summer.

Says we've got gobs as neighbors, haven't seen them yet.

Says it was sinister as well, but no blood rain or reanimating yak hair either. The risks are well worth the view though, got hematite in the upper layers, supposedly there is magnetite in the second biome across the river, and there's random -ites like tetrahedra- and garnier- in there too. I sunk a staircase from the wagon and found SMR a good ways down, exploratory mining let me set up a couple forges/smelters down below, hotkeys are labeled accordingly.

Also saved a version with ascii and with my spacefoxy mix.

Ascii: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9921

Spacefoxy: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9922

If you do try the spacefoxy I think you might need these as well:
    http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9923

Those should just drop into the appropriate folders assuming you've already got dfhack ready, and naturally you can change the dfhack.init and init.txt as you prefer, but the key point is that you should end up with a working twbt setup to play with.

OH GOD ALMOST FORGOT, I went through some rather complicated steps trying to get a waterfall/well set up and ended up passing on the waterfall to just get the well set up, but you gotta remember if you open the well bridges (the upper lever on the level right under the living area) to have the floodgates open first (the lever right below with the floodgates/fortification drains) otherwise pressure will probably flood everything, which is hilarious, but not what I was intending.

I had to do a bunch of crap because the water pressure was screwy (I was able to build a freaking wall on the riverbed after channeling some channels to balance the flow >.< yeah I had to unsuspend spam and it was using blocks which is faster than stones but still) so rather than have it flow I'll settle for being able to refill it.

Behold:Plungecanyons!
    Spoiler
    Show

Dorfwash at the entrance, pump it for a second or two to clean gunk out of the water:

Farms/Pasture, got pigs there because they don't graze and I was expecting to have to deal with reanimation:

Living area, depot up top, and some of the early shops I built:

Well level with the bridges lever below the main stockpiles (remember, open floodgates first!), I put doors (forbidden of course) at the ends so you can rescue morons who get the bright idea to jump down a well, drain it with the floodgates and it's safe due to the grate I put there:

Floodgates lever:

Forges, be careful digging to the sides or above, there is water AND fire nearby, had to channel down to the forges to get them dug out properly, though I wish I remembered to smooth the top part first >.<:

...wonder if they'll notice there doesn't seem to be any ground at the bottom of those ss's
    Last edited by Max™; 2014-10-14 at 08:01 PM.
    ᴛʜɪs ɪs ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ sɪɢɴᴀᴛᴜʀᴇ.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ettin in the Playground

Would you mind throwing up a DFMA map like I did? It helps a lot for keeping track of things, and its pretty easy to do.

15. - Top - End - #375

Uh, I'm not sure what that is.

Ok, found it... uh, don't get me wrong, I would love to do it, but the program wants me to install .net or mono apparently, looking for a workaround that doesn't involve letting that stuff onto my system.

If you mean where stuff is on the map, I'm a big fan of vertical fort layouts, hence the map choice.

Oh, put a hatch on the up/down staircase in the roof, I thought I had one up there but it must have gotten cancelled sometime.
    Last edited by Max™; 2014-10-14 at 11:16 PM.
    ᴛʜɪs ɪs ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ sɪɢɴᴀᴛᴜʀᴇ.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ettin in the Playground

What operating system are you running? .NET is standard issue on all modern versions of Windows.

17. - Top - End - #377

Arch Linux.
    ᴛʜɪs ɪs ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ sɪɢɴᴀᴛᴜʀᴇ.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah. You'll need mono then.

19. - Top - End - #379

Yeah, and last time I had to mess with mono was for some class podcast/notes sessions that used silverlight I think, and broke the hell out of a lot of other stuff when I tried to remove it after finishing said class. I don't need any windows stuff atm so I don't even have virtualbox set up lately.

I must say though, that makes the dfma site that much more impressive, I was amazed that they somehow managed to make it browseable with full size maps, that there are tools that compress them that much is pretty damn neat.
    Last edited by Max™; 2014-10-14 at 11:53 PM.
    ᴛʜɪs ɪs ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ sɪɢɴᴀᴛᴜʀᴇ.

20. - Top - End - #380

Well, trying to get virtualbox working turned into "see if I can get xf86-input-joystick working" which turned into "oh god why doesn't my keyboard or mouse work, wait, how come the only input I have access to is being able to type random letters with the mouseclicks what did I do?"...

Editing grub and adding a line to boot into root rescue mode so I could uninstall the driver and remove the .conf files finally fixed it, but man, that's a heck of a screwup, dorfy type screwup even!
    ᴛʜɪs ɪs ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ sɪɢɴᴀᴛᴜʀᴇ.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

So, how's everything going with the turn? I'm still available for a go, fortunately a GPU isn't actually required to run dwarf fortress.

I've been having an interesting time in my solo world. The current fort might be coated in dwarven vomit (don't forget about cave adaptation, folks) but I've got an artifact lead warhammer. That should be a fun one, once my military stops getting eaten by forgotten beasts.
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

22. - Top - End - #382

I've been diagnosing and finally having to disable my video card as it is officially dying (yesterday I think, maybe day before, was up a while, it woke up from sleep and immediately started reading 65~70 C under idle... soooo yeah, that's not a good sign), I put a save up on a fort I started as I kept crashing trying to reclaim Wookies save.

Cave Adaptation is amazing btw, only the walls around the wagon are supposed to be green...
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Max™; 2014-10-21 at 07:35 PM.
    ᴛʜɪs ɪs ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ sɪɢɴᴀᴛᴜʀᴇ.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm about to gen a new world after making some additions to the minimally tested creature mod I've been working on (not least because several of the creatures I added were mysteriously extinct in the last one). If nobody's taken a turn since I did that, would anyone mind if I started another fort?

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm about to gen a new world after making some additions to the minimally tested creature mod I've been working on (not least because several of the creatures I added were mysteriously extinct in the last one). If nobody's taken a turn since I did that, would anyone mind if I started another fort?
    Go for it.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ettin in the Playground

All right, I have a world made up. I'll run a few adventurers through (I always like to adventure a bit in a new world) and then start the fort. It looks like the next release (which includes the personality rewrite and tree harvesting) is coming out tomorrow, so I'll wait until then to start. It's supposed to be save-compatible, but I'd best wait to be sure.

Well, the initial fort was eaten by zombie harpies. I'll be sending a reclaim, but this is going to be hard.
    Last edited by Gnoman; 2014-10-26 at 07:14 PM.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

All right, I have a world made up. I'll run a few adventurers through (I always like to adventure a bit in a new world) and then start the fort. It looks like the next release (which includes the personality rewrite and tree harvesting) is coming out tomorrow, so I'll wait until then to start. It's supposed to be save-compatible, but I'd best wait to be sure.

Well, the initial fort was eaten by zombie harpies. I'll be sending a reclaim, but this is going to be hard.
    I'm not sure if you've noticed, but the newest update's stepladders aren't compatible with older saves. We might want another new world.
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    I'm not sure if you've noticed, but the newest update's stepladders aren't compatible with older saves. We might want another new world.
    Dayum. Toady's pumping out them updates really quick these days.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    I suspected that, and regenned.

29. - Top - End - #389

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure you can update saves, as I've done it a few times, heck, I even put the raws for one of the accelerated df mods for 40.14 into a 40.13 folder and it works fine, though I am not sure what would happen if I tried to build one of the stepladders, but yeah, they're definitely backwards compatible with older saves.
    ᴛʜɪs ɪs ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ sɪɢɴᴀᴛᴜʀᴇ.