New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dwarf Fortress Succession Game #6 in the Playground! Return of the Evil Biomes.

Right, have the first half of my update here. I should have the rest done tomorrow.

Spoiler: Overseer's Log - Luzahn
    Show

Overseer's Log of High Shaper Luzahn

1st Granite 554:

Well, it appears the others have all failed terribly in leading our new outpost. We appear to consist of a disorderly pile of walls and bare tunnels at the moment, and about half the citizenry appears to be crippled or hospitalized.

However, we have coal and iron! So perhaps this situation can be salvaged. Although I will have to talk with the others about basic city planning once my term has ended.

5th Granite 554:

It would appear that our previous rulers, in their infinite wisdom, neglected to dig something as simple as a mine. We have no idea what treasures might lie under our feet! ...Although to be fair, we appear to have nearly every ore imaginable within our own halls.

Digging has begun from our lower halls of a small central mineshaft.

15th Granite 554:

Well, it appears that a massive cavern was directly beneath our fortress, at the eight level down. Nothing of interest there, unfortunately. Work bypassing it is underway.

We have now discovered the second cavern a mere few levels below, as well as numerous veins of sphalerite, horn silver, and tetrahedrite.

14th Felsite 554:

An Elvish caravan has arrived. I'll see about getting some sort of ferocious animals from them. Might help with the inevitable accompanying ambushes.

Additionally, our military forces appear to need work. A macedwarf just lost a hand in a scuffle with a lowly Kobold thief.

16th Felsite 554:

Notable acquisitions include a Grizzly Bear and a Giant Tree Frog. Due to a lack of rubies being dug up and my own boredom, I've ordered the construction of “That One Macedwarf Memorial Menagerie.” This institution will house many of our new acquisitions, with the exception of the bear, who represents the beginnings of our ursine military corps.

The fortress being as disorganized as it is, it becomes apparent that a new set of tunnels needs to be carved to accommodate our various industries. A series of stockpiles in a large open cavern is hardly the most efficient model.

26th Hematite 554:

The moat the previous overseer was carrying on about has finally been completed, at the cost of an extra, and surprisingly unaware of drawbridges metalsmith, as well as a slightly bruised cat.

15th Malachite 554:

Our miners have now struck a sapphire cluster, in addition to a new cluster of rubies. The mineral wealth of this place is astounding. I've sent the best examples of the gems to my private workshop for shaping, but we still seek the elusive star-gems.

19th Galena 554:

A force of goblins has arrived to begin some sort of siege. But really, I never understand why they put so much trouble into it. We all grow our own food inside the fort, so that doesn't really hurt, and we're a species known for dumping lava on any creature that gets within 50 feet of a settlement. Honestly, it's more of a hassle than anything else.

Spoiler: Screenshots:
    Show

Celesyne's Dorfing.

And...this. Always strange when this happens. But clearly this is a menacing were-dwarf.
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dwarf Fortress Succession Game #6 in the Playground! Return of the Evil Biomes.

Since we're going with Evil Biomes, I put world savagery on high in the hope of more locations, and resources on plentiful so we'd have a fighting chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Honestly, given how many ore veins I found in the one z-level that I was tunneling out, I saw no reason to dig deeper. Like I said, the biggest bottleneck isn't mining, it right now is smelting what ore we have.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

The new hauling system (with haulers carrying bins to where the items are) makes using coal a real pain without very careful stockpile management. On my turn, I kept losing the smelting jobs because a hauler grabbed the bin full of coke to get the refined bars from the previous job, resulting in "X has cancelled smelt ore: Needs refined coal" spam.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

As a little aside: Wookiee, you scare me.

I'm gonna put rubies on it.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2014-07-07 at 02:16 PM.
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    As a little aside: Wookiee, you scare me.

I'm gonna put rubies on it.
    Mwa hahahahaha!
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Overseer's Log, Part II:
    Show
    21st Limestone 554:

Our marksdwarves continue to eliminate goblin forces at high rates, despite the loss of several members of the human merchant caravan. However, it appears that our soldiers rate the dreaded capybara as a higher threat than injured goblins, and will focus their deadly fire on the rodents before switching to goblin targets.

Well, the siege is lifted, but not before the four surviving, and injured, goblins butchered about half of the militia sent to mop up. I'd admire the enemy's competency, but really our guys should have listened when ordered to stop charging with crossbows.

21st Timber 554:

Bwahaha! The recent caravan from the mountainhomes has notified me that this filthy hole of ours is to become a barony. Excellent. I have put my own name forward, of course. With this power, I can eventually put my dark plans into action. It's a good thing that I've preemptively built this large mansion.

7th Moonstone 554:

We are now a Barony, and I am a Baron! I mean, I'm pretty sure the title just translates into “chief engineer” in our language, but dammit it's still power.

At least now nobody can question my hoarding all of the precious gems for my own cutting. And the mansion.

1st Granite 555:

My year directly overseeing the fort has come to an end, sadly enough, but I suppose having the nobles directly overseeing things would be demeaning. Construction was completed on a murder-passage in the final months of the year, a single-file labyrinth leading inside the fortress, lined with traps.

I advise the next overseer to place a door on this tunnel until more weapon traps can be assembled, as it currently allows enemies entrance. Now get going, the place won't take care of itself!

Spoiler: Screenshots:
    Show
    Spoiler: Gnoman's Statue:
    Show

Spoiler: Wookiee's (Second) Statue:
    Show

Spoiler: The Fortress: New wing to the north, flanked by the two statues.
    Show

Spoiler: Trap Labyrinth:
    Show

Spoiler: Lower Levels (Baron's Mansion):
    Show

And here is the save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8737
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2014-07-07 at 07:44 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68

DwarfFighterGuy

You made the halls of honored dead into your mansion?
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

It's...honored-dead adjacent, yes.

Also, new version woo! Let's start one up, shall we?

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    It's...honored-dead adjacent, yes.

Also, new version woo! Let's start one up, shall we?
    Since Grif brought us this news (and he's yet to have a turn), he now has the honor of embarking into strang new locals!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Since Grif brought us this news (and he's yet to have a turn), he now has the honor of embarking into strang new locals!
    Oh dear. I guess I better get started then.

(Such a major revision is liable to be very unstable. I sincerely hope I can actually squeeze a year out. That and I might wait for associate tools like Dwarf Therapist to be compatible with the new version first.)

13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think it would be appropriate to wait for the utilities and probably the first couple of updates. If anyone else remembers the switchover from 40D to DF2012... the game was practically unplayable for the first few months for all but the most battle hardened and masochistic souls... (or basically 85% of the Bay12 forums.)

In other news, Yay I exist! Too bad I'm teaching the marksdwarves bad habits about charging gobbos. Oh well, does a dwarf good to clobber her enemies to death!
    Current Sexy Reya Dawnbringer avatar by Edwin, thanks for the awesomeness.

"Come with me, and we'll be...
    In a world of total annihilation." .....Itnetlolor of Bay12 forums

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh dear. I guess I better get started then.

(Such a major revision is liable to be very unstable. I sincerely hope I can actually squeeze a year out. That and I might wait for associate tools like Dwarf Therapist to be compatible with the new version first.)
    You're welcome to continue the fort. Either way our fate rests upon you!

Updated turn order/opening post.

15. - Top - End - #75

DwarfFighterGuy

Gonna second the waiting for the first few patches notion.

Live bugfinding does not make for good community forts. Although it will often make for !!FUN!! community forts.

speaking of bugs,

THIS: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140075.0

has got me pretty cracked up
    Last edited by iyaerP; 2014-07-08 at 01:48 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

The solution is clearly to run two forts parallel to each other.

Although to be honest, I'll probably just start a new version world and play a year and then post it in another thread. No reason to interrupt this game yet, and I wouldn't want to clog up this thread.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2014-07-08 at 01:18 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77

DwarfFighterGuy

I am currently generating a very large 1050 year world, just because I want to see what changes I can find in legends mode. After 45 minutes it is at year 437, so it seems that world gen is far faster than it used to be.

Also, one of the big issues with this version so far seems to be save files that will immediately crash on load. That alone will keep us with 34.11 for the time being I think.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Y'know, that one seems rather...crippling.
    Although my current world reloads correctly, but it's a treeless region. Maybe those are causing problems.

Did you notice that site generation is 3x3 by default now?
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2014-07-08 at 03:45 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79

DwarfFighterGuy

My world is still generating, although it is no longer responding when I try and tab back to it. Which is sad, because last I checked it was at year 700

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

I can't seem to get 0.40 to work properly at the moment as well, so I vote we stick with the old fort.

I'll get something up in a day or two.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

My sincere apologies for the lack of updates. I had trouble finding the motivation to sit down and relearn Dwarf Fortress.

However, now that I have, I'm starting to play the year... and wow, I didn't realise we had so many dwarves. We should prune these at some point.

For giggles, I exported the list of dwarves we do have from Dwarf Therapist. I'll slowly fill them out with job descriptions and fluff if we have the time. You guys can help too!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

*Raises hand*

Can I be dorfed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

23. - Top - End - #83

DwarfFighterGuy

That is a TON of dorf.

No wonder we show 23 idlers in the most recent screencaps.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    *Raises hand*

Can I be dorfed?
    Sure! Take your pick.

Quote Originally Posted by iyaerP View Post
    That is a TON of dorf.

No wonder we show 23 idlers in the most recent screencaps.
    We're now up to 60 idlers and I have no idea what to do with them.

Anyway, we're under siege now, and I don't think we can break it unless we do some foolhardy charge. No safe place to hole up and pepper them with crossbows too.

EDIT: On the bright side, the path of doom seems to be working very well. Trolls got sliced up.
    Last edited by Grif; 2014-07-20 at 10:57 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Woo, path of doom!

Putting that massive amount of iron to work.

My thoughts on the siege would be to, so long as they don't have any archers, construct a bridge/ platform towards the goblins to shoot off of.

I usually like to build a series of archer bunkers/watchtowers around the map connected by tunnels, but that's a bit impractical right now.

26. - Top - End - #86

DwarfFighterGuy

The idea with the walls was that towers and fortifications could be built off of them.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Woo, path of doom!

Putting that massive amount of iron to work.

My thoughts on the siege would be to, so long as they don't have any archers, construct a bridge/ platform towards the goblins to shoot off of.

I usually like to build a series of archer bunkers/watchtowers around the map connected by tunnels, but that's a bit impractical right now.
    They unfortunately do. (One group) Makes any sort of advance or building risky at best.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Sure! Take your pick.
    I don't know what any of those numbers mean. Pick one that looks like a Beowulf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    I don't know what any of those numbers mean. Pick one that looks like a Beowulf.
    If I'll be honest, neither do I. I been spending the last couple of days taking notes on how exactly the fort is laid out and why is it such.

Just before the siege we got yet another 26 dorf.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

...and you said a suicide charge was a bad idea.

(But seriously, don't suicide charge my subjects. I need them to find more gems.)