New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Legend of Korra Book 3: Bending over Backwards

Hm. A question that bugged me lately - who would win in a fight, an equalist chi-blocker or a Dai Li, assuming neither takes the other one by surprise?

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Are we counting this as another "Korra gets deceived by an obvious villain" Moment? I'm not sure we should, since Korra seems to have started suspecting the Earth Queen at the first sign of evilness.

That said, WHY ARE THE DAI-LI BACK.
    I mean seriously. Even if this is a "new" version of the Dai-Li, you would think they would change the name and uniform so as to not be associated with the secret police force that manipulated the Earth King, and then sold the city out to the Fire Nation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Are we counting this as another "Korra gets deceived by an obvious villain" Moment? I'm not sure we should, since Korra seems to have started suspecting the Earth Queen at the first sign of evilness.

That said, WHY ARE THE DAI-LI BACK.
    I mean seriously. Even if this is a "new" version of the Dai-Li, you would think they would change the name and uniform so as to not be associated with the secret police force that manipulated the Earth King, and then sold the city out to the Fire Nation.
    Probably because the Dai li are a lot older than their unfortunate incident with Azula. Earth is about stability and resistance to change, and the dai li were ingrained at all levels of society, controlling so much. Rooting them out and cleaning up would have been a very dirty, difficult business. Probably a lot easier to just pin everything on whatshisface and promise they've cleaned house. Not to mention the Earth King was not the most effective or competant ruler, even if he got a bit better in "The Promise". He may have tried to clean things up but failed or come to the conclusion that they were too ingrained to remove entirely without causing the EK's entire scoial structure to collapse, or even just believed he had fixed things. heck, for all we know things did get better but got worse again when the Queen took over - we have 70 years of down time, which is plenty for an institution to become corrupt. Especially if it has a powerful mandate, long history and elite powerful members.

I'm glad to see them again.
    Last edited by BWR; 2014-06-30 at 01:01 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Probably because the Dai li are a lot older than their unfortunate incident with Azula. Earth is about stability and resistance to change, and the dai li were ingrained at all levels of society, controlling so much. Rooting them out and cleaning up would have been a very dirty, difficult business. Probably a lot easier to just pin everything on whatshisface and promise they've cleaned house. Not to mention the Earth King was not the most effective or competant ruler, even if he got a bit better in "The Promise". He may have tried to clean things up but failed or come to the conclusion that they were too ingrained to remove entirely without causing the EK's entire scoial structure to collapse, or even just believed he had fixed things. heck, for all we know things did get better but got worse again when the Queen took over - we have 70 years of down time, which is plenty for an institution to become corrupt. Especially if it has a powerful mandate, long history and elite powerful members.

I'm glad to see them again.
    I'm okay with a corrupt secret-police institution.

I'm just wondering why they're still called the Dai-Li, and still dressing in those same uniforms.
    You would think it would be easy enough to give them a new name and a paint job.

That said, do we think these Dai-Li are working for the Earth Queen? Or do you think she's another puppet, trapped in the Palace, distracted with luxury and servitude in order to keep her from actually running anything.

My guess is that she's aware of what's going on. The old Dai-Li tried to distract the Earth King while maintaining their own power, these Dai Li are trying to assemble an army of Airbenders, and it's difficult to use an Army without the Monarch knowing.

My guess is that these Dai-Li are loyal to the Earth Queen, and she's using them to build an army of airbenders to crush the rebellion.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyena View Post
    Hm. A question that bugged me lately - who would win in a fight, an equalist chi-blocker or a Dai Li, assuming neither takes the other one by surprise?
    Depends. Are we talking about the chi-blockers who had Korra and Mako's number in a fight, or those who were defeated by fartbending?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Depends. Are we talking about the chi-blockers who had Korra and Mako's number in a fight, or those who were defeated by fartbending?
    That's not entirely fair now
    Fartbending is clearly the strongest of all bending forms

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

I'm okay with a corrupt secret-police institution.

I'm just wondering why they're still called the Dai-Li, and still dressing in those same uniforms.
    You would think it would be easy enough to give them a new name and a paint job.

That said, do we think these Dai-Li are working for the Earth Queen? Or do you think she's another puppet, trapped in the Palace, distracted with luxury and servitude in order to keep her from actually running anything.

My guess is that she's aware of what's going on. The old Dai-Li tried to distract the Earth King while maintaining their own power, these Dai Li are trying to assemble an army of Airbenders, and it's difficult to use an Army without the Monarch knowing.

My guess is that these Dai-Li are loyal to the Earth Queen, and she's using them to build an army of airbenders to crush the rebellion.
    I thought it was obvious that they are the royal guard. They are the guard of the royal family and are dressed as such. the fact that some chick from the firenation expanded and exposed some rot doesn't change the fact that they are, and have been since the Earth Kingdom existed, the royal guard with the added task of being the secret police in Ba-Sing-Se. Add to that the earth element's stubbornness and resistance to change and it's not surprising at all they still exist and are in business.

Oh, and however blatant fanservice, I still think that seeing an old man Zuko riding around on his dragon is fan-freaking-tastic to behold. And if you think me a fool for it, then I'll gladly take it in stride.
    Last edited by Socratov; 2014-06-30 at 02:24 PM.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

8. - Top - End - #158
    Barbarian in the Playground

Definitely not- Korra seemed to catch on pretty quickly that the Earth Queen's a greedy, amoral fart. The only thing Korra trusted about her is that she'd be willing to do stuff for Korra if Korra did stuff for her first, and after her blatant lie about the airbenders Korra doesn't trust her at all.
    Last edited by Werephilosopher; 2014-06-30 at 03:09 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Of course I'm refering to the early chi-blockers, before they were worfed.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Colossus in the Playground

Didn't we see Ty Lee square off against some Dai Li in A:tlA? She seemed pretty close in power to pre-nerf chi blockers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

I liked the first three episodes. Improved over last season.

Why in the world did whatever poster it was claim that the Earth Queen incident was another "Korra fooled by obvious villain" moment? (This poster was saying this before the episode was released as well). It bears no similarity to Tarrlock or Unalaq at all.

Also, I like that Korra is actually acting like a reasonably intelligent individual and she is obviously trying to be more level-headed. Season1!Korra and Season2!Korra would have physically attacked the Earth Queen in that "there are no air benders in Ba Sing Se" scene and threatened her. You can tell that's still what Korra WANTS to do, but that she realizes that it would end very badly and not be productive.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Hey now, let's be fair for a moment. The Equalists wouldn't have been taught how to fight Airbenders, so it's fair to assume that Tenzin's family would be particularly difficult for the Equalists to beat. I mean, it's not like the White Lotus guys actually started easily beating Equalists.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Didn't we see Ty Lee square off against some Dai Li in A:tlA? She seemed pretty close in power to pre-nerf chi blockers.
    Ty Lee was waaaaaay more dangerous than the Equalists. Didn't she, like, solo a small army of Earthbenders? I'd like to see even Amon's Lieutenant pull that off.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    I liked the first three episodes. Improved over last season.

Also, I like that Korra is actually acting like a reasonably intelligent individual and she is obviously trying to be more level-headed. Season1!Korra and Season2!Korra would have physically attacked the Earth Queen in that "there are no air benders in Ba Sing Se" scene and threatened her. You can tell that's still what Korra WANTS to do, but that she realizes that it would end very badly and not be productive.
    Definitely. I'm really glad that we don't just have korra running around tearing buildings apart when she gets mad anymore. Possibly part of why she did that before was because of how sheltered she was by the white lotus though.

Quote Originally Posted by Infernally Clay View Post

Ty Lee was waaaaaay more dangerous than the Equalists. Didn't she, like, solo a small army of Earthbenders? I'd like to see even Amon's Lieutenant pull that off.

Yeah Ty Lee did that pretty much effortlessly. Azula assembled an elite team. Team Avatar in ATLA was pretty elite too. No one in korra has really done that, besides the criminals.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    Oh, and however blatant fanservice, I still think that seeing an old man Zuko riding around on his dragon is fan-freaking-tastic to behold. And if you think me a fool for it, then I'll gladly take it in stride.
    I'll agree in part. The dragon was a bit much. If the show was really being fan servicey then sokka would still be around, and we would've seen other old characters already. I think that it makes sense that Zuko's involved though, I mean he's still alive at the time and just because he's becoming an old man doesn't mean he can't retain his bending skill and still be a player.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Hey now, let's be fair for a moment. The Equalists wouldn't have been taught how to fight Airbenders, so it's fair to assume that Tenzin's family would be particularly difficult for the Equalists to beat. I mean, it's not like the White Lotus guys actually started easily beating Equalists.
    That would put them at a disadvantage, although to be perfectly honest I'd expect Amon to train his soldiers against airbenders. One way or the other, there's a difference between being at a disadvantage and being knocked flat without even putting up a fight.

Yes, the guy who got one-kit-KO'd by a bear doesn't quite compare.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

That would put them at a disadvantage, although to be perfectly honest I'd expect Amon to train his soldiers against airbenders. One way or the other, there's a difference between being at a disadvantage and being knocked flat without even putting up a fight.
    Eh. It's sort of hard to practice for airbenders when there are only 4 of them. There probably wasn't the best access to techniques there. Airbenders are also pretty fast so it'd be harder to chi block them.

17. - Top - End - #167

That was after the nerf. We should consider Equalists at their most effective - when they first fight Korra and Mako with the motorcycles.

Is the Lieutenant even a chi blocker, or does he just have the shock sticks?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Are we counting this as another "Korra gets deceived by an obvious villain" Moment?
    y'know I feel this is somewhat unfair.
    I mean she worked with tarlok for a total of one episode before figuring out (for herself) that she wanted nothing to do with him anymore.
    And Unalack was her uncle and he did seem genuinely helpfull in the first episode episode he appeared in and he could tach her skills she needed immediatly at the moment and she didn't stay his 'aprentice' for vey long either.

Yeah, I know for us the audience it's obvious they were going to be the bad guy, we've seen characters like them hundreds of time before, but from an in storry perspective, after rewatching season 1 and 2, I don't think it could have been all that obvious to her.

That's not even remotely fair, now is it ?

Ty Lee is a named character who took a bunch of random unamed characters whose only reason to show up was to get beaten up and who will never show up again after that.

The lieutenant has no name, is not even a major character and is pitted against named characters you are supposed to care about. (Including some kids. In a western show that happened on Nicklodeon, if you think anyone could even touch one hair of them...). Hell, even the polar bear-dog has a name.

of course he and his chi blockers are doomed to fail as soon as soon as it's not necessary anymore to show just how well trained and organised the antagonists are.

And yet he still managed to capture lin bei fong so... Hell narratively speaking, the equalists chi blockers as a whole, nerf or not, gets full points for ever achieving victories (sometime without amon even being here to look them over) without being or relted to precocious teen prodigies and being anonymous mooks. In Avatar that's worthy of praise.
    (Same applies to the fire nations elite archers that were so good they could capture the avatar in one episode and never freaking showed up or even got a reference ever again.)
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2014-07-01 at 01:38 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, just for the record- is there somewhere online that I can officially watch this? The new season doesn't seem to be on the Nick site yet. I suppose they're doing a week or so delay before they're putting stuff online?

20. - Top - End - #170

Quote Originally Posted by AmberVael View Post
    is there somewhere online
    Yes.

officially
    No.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Yes.

No.
    Yeah, I'd already gathered that much. Hence my qualification.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

So yeah, this was really good. The Animation was really solid, and the characters are playing off of one another well.

Yes, the Tween Crush is painfully obvious. There like, 13 at the most, i'd be more concerned if they were any GOOD at being subtle about such things. THAT would be unnatural.

And no, this is not "Korra duped by obvious evil person again.". This is "Korra smells a stinker but knows her objective is better served by just playing ball with her a bit to get to her goal faster. Questions what she's doing the entire way through as it get's worse and worse as she does the job, get's double crossed and lied too to her face, and then becomes angry, recognizes that obvious evil is obvious evil, and figures out not to do more then one minor task for her IN THE SAME EPISODE THEY MET EACH OTHER IN!!!!!!!" Korra wasn't totally duped! All I'm waiting for now is for Lin or Tenzen or Janora to go "Wait, she said she had Dai Li agents check?!!!! That can't be, they were disbanded for supporting the fire lord during the great war when it ended by Fire Lord Zuko and Avatar Aang!!! There evil and were dismantled for it!"

Also, as I predicted, it looks like were getting legitimate leveling out of Korra now that she's had some time to stop and breath and think and process everything she's been through. And that's wonderful, she's actually, sincerely likeable now as of ep 3!

Korra and Asami: There is a part of me that hates that every significant relationship has to be at least partially grounded in lust and romance in modern culture, and thus loves the idea of them clicking brilliantly as friends once the inital speed bumps were past them. (Oh, and teaching Korra to drive and from the look of those cars, drive stick to boot, is fragging hilarious!!!!! XD!!!)

And yet, god, I want to kick myself for this in light of what I just posted in the above paragraph, I want to ship these two now. I could really get into a relationship like that with them, friendship be damned! I almost never go for that, but god the chemistry there is wonderful!

Mako and Bolin: Wow, there's, actual growth here. Bolin throws some good ideas out there. Mako comes off as a young, very very confused man who's trying his hardest but doesn't have nearly as much of a clue about what he's doing as he thinks he needs too! I, could get into this.

Side note on earth queen: I've got five bucks that somewhere along this she's got it worked out in her head that the water tribe and fire nation both owe her reparations for not giving everything to the earth kingdom unconditionally after Ozi was beaten, and plans to take republic city as just a starting point. Further, her deal with the airbenders is that she wants to see reparations form them in lue of reparation's she can't get from Aang.

Bad Guys: These people have interesting designs and tricks, and there is actual menace form them. That's something we've been missing form Not-Amon bad guys in this series. Color me intrigued. I approve.

Oh, and even though Tenzin's brother is now a bender, none benders still get nice things. See Asami. And I'd not be surprised if some of Mako and Bolin's family are not benders but are bad asses by virtue of you have to be to survive were they live.

Yeah, this has been fun and if the entirety of the season and next season are like this, this show is gonna finally be what it could and should have been form the start. And this pleases me greatly.

Oh, and Dragonrider Zuko was sweet, and so was the elevator dialog.
    "I Burn!"

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

That would put them at a disadvantage, although to be perfectly honest I'd expect Amon to train his soldiers against airbenders.
    How could he? He had never fought any Airbenders himself until well after the show started. As I recall, Tenzin actually proved to be highly effective against Amon specifically because he had never fought an Airbender before. So I'm totally okay with the idea that Tenzin's kids had a huge advantage over the Equalists due to the fact they were very skilled at Airbending and their opponents had never fought Airbenders before, let alone trained to.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

I do like how there are the two plots going on at the same time now

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

That was after the nerf. We should consider Equalists at their most effective - when they first fight Korra and Mako with the motorcycles.
    Why?

Is the Lieutenant even a chi blocker, or does he just have the shock sticks?
    He never uses any chi-blocking. At first, it seemed like the Equalist forces would be divided into chi-blockers and electric weapon wielders, but in the end the shock glove users only appeared in one episodes.

How could he? He had never fought any Airbenders himself until well after the show started. As I recall, Tenzin actually proved to be highly effective against Amon specifically because he had never fought an Airbender before. So I'm totally okay with the idea that Tenzin's kids had a huge advantage over the Equalists due to the fact they were very skilled at Airbending and their opponents had never fought Airbenders before, let alone trained to.
    Advantage, yes. Knocking around people who stand like beanpoles isn't an advantage. It's a rushed fight scene.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Someone in charge of scheduling really didn't think this through, did they? They bring out the opener and its followup, but apparently didn't realize that the following Friday fell on the 4th of July, which of course means that nobody can air new episodes. So Korra is aired... only to have a 2 week break immediately. That's not a good way to get a show good ratings.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

No, no they did not. Everything I've heard (bearing in mind I don't follow animation news that closely most of the time.) was that they were gonna wait even longer to do the premiere originally, but jumped when episodes were leaked.
    "I Burn!"

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Have to agree, here. Airbending philosophy is more or less about zero resistance, and that's something none of the other elements do. Even water is about mutability and adaptation.

Punch an earthbender and he'll laugh as you break your hand on his face.
    Punch a firebender and he'll incinerate you before you can strike.
    Punch a waterbender and he'll redirect the force to his favor.
    Punch an airbender and he simply won't be there. And while you're reeling from the swing, he's getting into position for a response.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

it also looks like they're airing two episodes each friday back-to-back.
    Considering the ratings have not been great, the lack of advertising running up to the new season, and the fact that this season was basically done while last season was airing, my guess is that Nick isn't too confident in the show, and is trying to get through the season quickly.
    Perhaps they're counting on DvD sales for money, and want the DvDs out by Christmas, so they're trying to wrap up the season by September.

That, or they're trying to play to the Streaming Generation, counting on revenue from people watching on their site, or buying it through Apple or Amazon.
    Last edited by BRC; 2014-07-02 at 04:54 PM.
    [/Center]

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

it also looks like they're airing two episodes each friday back-to-back.
    Considering the ratings have not been great, the lack of advertising running up to the new season, and the fact that this season was basically done while last season was airing, my guess is that Nick isn't too confident in the show, and is trying to get through the season quickly.
    Perhaps they're counting on DvD sales for money, and want the DvDs out by Christmas, so they're trying to wrap up the season by September.

That, or they're trying to play to the Streaming Generation, counting on revenue from people watching on their site, or buying it through Apple or Amazon.
    AtLA/LoK has long been a red headed step child for Nick. I am not surprised.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.