New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: OOTS #955 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Scruffy_Kilz View Post
    Citation Granted, cause Jaxzan will argue with me, and denounce everything I say. It is his way. If I say the sky is blue, he will say, no the sky is whatever color the DM decides it is, and their are clear rules in D&D to define the color of the sky. If I show within those rules the sky is blue he will then argue that this isn't D&D and there is no DM. If he can argue, he will argue, until he thinks he's lost then shout, "You never responded to my comment about the clear rules in D&D, this is not worth talking about, you're wrong because I refuse to accept the option of you being right"
    You brought up the D&D rules more times than I did. I don't believe I ever used them at all, or the term DM in our discussion. If you fail to answer my arguments and go on to make utterly inane analogies, of course I'm going to stop having a discussion with you.

Peelee’s Lotsey

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    It's precisely this sort of munchkinism that would have made me disallow blocking a lightning bolt by the PCs. "Oh, lightning only goes at 3000 miles/second, not 186,000 miles/second, therefore that gives my character plenty of time to react and block it!" Look at all the obsessing over it! Just say "no" and move on.
    You're too focused on comparing this to a table session.

It's a story and heroes in stories are sometimes able to pull off impossible feats, such as reacting in time to block lightning.

The fact that the same action might ruin a game is not really relevant.

EDIT:

Also, indignant rage it is, then!
    Last edited by pearl jam; 2014-06-14 at 12:04 AM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Pixie in the Playground

Didn't V mention having like, knowledge of undead spirits or something earlier on, while discussing Roy's dad With Roy?

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

V will need something clever, as opposed to funny, to stop Thor's wrath. This is the time for Banjo to have a god-to-god talk with the Thunderer.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trubbol View Post
    Didn't V mention having like, knowledge of undead spirits or something earlier on, while discussing Roy's dad With Roy?
    I don't specifically remember that. But if it is any help, #944 leaves little doubt that Roy is now fully aware of the Soul Splice.

Granted, the actual admission happens off-panel, but Vaarsuvius has clearly admitted to casting Familicide. The first panel also makes it clear that Roy is even aware of the fiends and of the specific time windows left to deal with.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0944.html

So it is at least reasonable to assume that V went fair and square with Roy. By this point he has little reason or motivation to hide anything of significance.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by LuisDantas View Post
    I don't specifically remember that. But if it is any help, #944 leaves little doubt that Roy is now fully aware of the Soul Splice.

Granted, the actual admission happens off-panel, but Vaarsuvius has clearly admitted to casting Familicide. The first panel also makes it clear that Roy is even aware of the fiends and of the specific time windows left to deal with.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0944.html

So it is at least reasonable to assume that V went fair and square with Roy. By this point he has little reason or motivation to hide anything of significance.
    I think BriarHobbit was referring to this strip.

: My knowledge of the denizens of the underworld is unmatched.

But even ignoring early installment weirdness, I doubt V is that familiar with how vampirism works - Giant's words seem to indicate that the knowledge is very obscure:

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Likewise, any assumptions that characters in the comic know or understand the details of how this process occurs on a detailed internal level should be thrown out the window. They don't. Being a vampire is super-rare; being returned to life after being a vampire so you can share the logistics of how it worked from your point of view in such a way that it entered a general body of knowledge that people would have learned about in the course of their education is simply not something that has ever occurred.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

7. - Top - End - #217
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Great strip O tall one....

and the forum made my day again with the lightening discussions :D
    Have you ever read an encounter table? Nothing surprises me anymore.

I once fought 1d3 dire camels in a swamp. No joke.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BriarHobbit View Post
    V will need something clever, as opposed to funny, to stop Thor's wrath. This is the time for Banjo to have a god-to-god talk with the Thunderer.
    Wait, so that wouldn't be funny, but stopping the lightning with a Wall of Force is?

Peelee’s Lotsey

9. - Top - End - #219
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Wait, so that wouldn't be funny, but stopping the lightning with a Wall of Force is?
    I think that sentence had a little bit of irony in it.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by strijder20 View Post
    I think that sentence had a little bit of irony in it.
    Sometimes, especially on these forums, I have difficulty telling whether or not someone is being serious. That's why I asked them. I forgot to prepare Detect Sarcasm this morning.

Peelee’s Lotsey

11. - Top - End - #221

That's okay, it's DC40 to use it on-line anyway.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Is it me, or does less happen per comic since the art change? Like we're lucky to get 1 spell per comic now. Lots of fruitless conversation (is he Durkon? isn't he?) And this last spell is taking multiple comics to cast. Forgive me but I don't see the point in making these particular ten minutes last multiple comics (weeks). There's not that much action going on aside from a lightning bolt or two.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Sometimes, especially on these forums, I have difficulty telling whether or not someone is being serious. That's why I asked them. I forgot to prepare Detect Sarcasm this morning.
    That's the superiority of the sorcerer; I can just spam Detect Sarcasm until I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by JessmanCA View Post
    Is it me, or does less happen per comic since the art change? Like we're lucky to get 1 spell per comic now. Lots of fruitless conversation (is he Durkon? isn't he?) And this last spell is taking multiple comics to cast. Forgive me but I don't see the point in making these particular ten minutes last multiple comics (weeks). There's not that much action going on aside from a lightning bolt or two.
    For what you want, you're reading it in the wrong format. If you wait a few months and play catchup, or wait til the book comes out, instead of the comic coming out piecemeal you'll have larger blocks at once, and the flow will be much better. For reading at the pace of each update, it's not flowing as organically as the book version, because of the larger wait times, but the overall concept is still adhered to (every page will end on a joke or a cliffhanger. Size and impact may vary).

I'm not criticizing, just saying that some aspects of the story need be more drawn-out (pun intended) than others for the sake of the overall story, and it appears as if you don't enjoy reading such parts when it is still a work in progress. Nothing wrong with that, but it'll probably be more enjoyable in larger chunks.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2014-06-14 at 03:33 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BriarHobbit View Post
    That, I would love to watch.

*Popcorn*

(Actually, I'm harboring a secret wish to see Banjo ascend to godhood before the end of the comic. Just because.)
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That's the superiority of the sorcerer; I can just spam Detect Sarcasm until I'm out.
    Bah, you think that just because you get more spells per day, you're so special.

Peelee’s Lotsey

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by JessmanCA View Post
    I donno if we had the same issue at the start of most books, but I know when the last book was starting, there were a lot of comments about the story "meandering" and being way too slow, and reading back over the archives, you just breeze through the section everyone was complaining about. I have a feeling something similar is happening here. Rich likes to ease into new books after long periods of action, and the climax of the last book was a doozy. I imagine we'll pick back up again shortly.
    Last edited by DaggerPen; 2014-06-14 at 06:26 PM.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

17. - Top - End - #227

Quote Originally Posted by Heksefatter View Post
    I can't help noticing how V calls Durkula 'the former Master Thundershield.' Suspicion? Nah...I am prolly reading too much into it.
    I think V is of the opinion - for whatever reason - that Durkula is not Durkon. However, until that's confirmed and they have some clue what Durkula's agenda is, it makes sense to go with the idea that they are better off with an active divine caster than with a corpse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ave View Post
    Can V cast two spells after spotting the second lightning? Shouldn't he start casting at least the protection spell?
    Actually, the second lightning gets blocked by a Forcecage. And then it won't matter what happens to the Forcecage after that, unless it's directly in the Mechane's path, so we probably won't need to discuss whether it moves with the ship or not.

As soon as that's done, it'll be time to cast the spells on Blackwing. Before the third lightning strike is detected.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Thief View Post
    I'm thinking the storm will escalate, V will have to polymorph Black wing resulting in a giant stone bird, and the title of the next panel will be "ROC me like a hurricane"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel View Post
    Thanks, now I'm going to have that song in my head all day long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moebius View Post
    I'm expecting "V will, V will Roc you," myself.
    When I was a foolish elf
    Lust for power would call my name
    I'd ignore this small...
    This familiar bird of mine
    I failed a test and reformed
    Respecting all my allies
    My crow don't love, don't love me
    But after polymorph she hugs me
    She loves me as a roc
    Flies with me like the roc of ages
    And she loves me

(with abject apologies to Paul Simon)
    Last edited by warrl; 2014-06-14 at 09:19 PM.
    My blog: Alien America - amusing incidents and creative misinterpretations

18. - Top - End - #228

SwashbucklerGuy

Pretty sure V's suspicious, but V doesn't know.

With the guilt and consequences they're currently dealing with, I'd be very surprised if V made any judgments without being 100% sure.

How many dozens of pages arguing about magic and lightning... Never change, OotS forums.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That was pretty darn snazzy. Not technically allowed according to the rules, but who cares? It was cool. And the art was just amazing.

Also, I believe V's usage of the term "the former Master Thundershield" is just another way of saying "the late Master Thundershield" as in meaning he is deceased, which he technically is, and V always strives to be technical and formal. I don't think it means anything more than that. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.
    Last edited by Aaron L; 2014-06-15 at 01:26 AM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron L View Post
    Also, I believe V's usage of the term "the former Master Thundershield" is just another way of saying "the late Master Thundershield" as in meaning he is deceased, which he technically is, and V always strives to be technical and formal. I don't think it means anything more than that. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.
    I think that this is the case as well. It is possible that Vaarsuvius suspects that something is up with Durkon beyond what is apparent, but I don't think they are certain or are revealing anything about their suspicions.

Peelee’s Lotsey

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    Emphasis mine. So, like I have said in my previous posting, the strongest natural lightning strike deals 10d8 damage. Which is less what magic can do if someone tries hard enough.
    Um, that rule is there to make a storm credible threat, yet not something gamebreaking. Imagine if it instead was 'unless you succeed on rolling 999 for Ref save, drop dead, your HP doesn't matter'. Would that be fun? I don't think so.

I saw someone on old CharOp calculate real lightning damage and it was something around ~9600 d4 (small dice to make damage less random, also, b4 any inevitable Vegeta jokes).

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    So let me get this straight. Literally, and I mean literally, jumping over a lightning bolt is A-OK but putting up a Wall of Force to stop it isn't?
    You mean the jump which happened before spellcasting, seeing Miko had the action?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    You can use 10,560 commoners in a line to move an object 10 miles prior to the first guy finishing picking it up by having each snatch it out of the next guy's hands as he grabs it with a readied action. Then the last one lets it go while it's moving arbitrarily quickly, and it falls straight down and lands at his feet, because that's what happens when you grab something and then let it go which is all he has done.
    Except, this one is totally wrong and based on breaking 7 different rules
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    You mean the jump which happened before spellcasting, seeing Miko had the action?
    Yes, of course. Miko saw it coming, and jumped in the same panel the lightning was shown in. Similarly, V and Blackwing saw the charge building up, and then the spell was shown in the same panel the lightning was shown in.

[If I were going to claim something was inaccurate, it would be the Blackwing's ability to determine the strike is coming one panel in advance, but if you accept panel six, then panel seven is orthodox D&D.]
    Last edited by Jay R; 2014-06-15 at 09:10 AM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Colossus in the Playground

I might add that apparently readied actions are just too unbelievable but Miko hovering like a hummingbird is just fine, if one wishes to argue that Miko jumped "before spellcasting" without invoking the exact same split-second reflexes Vaarsuvius just showed. When Vaarsuvius' and Durkon's spells hit, Miko was directly over them.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

I think that this is the case as well. It is possible that Vaarsuvius suspects that something is up with Durkon beyond what is apparent, but I don't think they are certain or are revealing anything about their suspicions.
    Given that V is usually utterly clueless about other people, I doubt there are even any suspicions.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    Given that V is usually utterly clueless about other people, I doubt there are even any suspicions.
    I don't know about that. V has shown lack of interest rather than lack of ability to understand others. A big part of his character development is showing more concern for others.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

It's also not the only instance of something like that. I just didn't feel like tracking down each and every instance we've seen someone go all Matrix on us when dodging Fireballs, Lightning Bolts and whatnot. That just happened to be the first one I saw.

For example, here is a non-Readied action example.

Sorry, but it is impossible to do what Miko did on the second page, eighth panel of that comic. Or rather, it is just as impossible as what V did in the latest strip.

Again, I find it noteworthy that THIS example is so worthy of disbelief and the dozens of other examples of physics weeping to itself in the corner is accepted, as-is.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Um, that rule is there to make a storm credible threat, yet not something gamebreaking. Imagine if it instead was 'unless you succeed on rolling 999 for Ref save, drop dead, your HP doesn't matter'. Would that be fun? I don't think so.

I saw someone on old CharOp calculate real lightning damage and it was something around ~9600 d4 (small dice to make damage less random, also, b4 any inevitable Vegeta jokes).
    Nonsensical and incorrect claim is nonsensical and incorrect.

Far more actual people live through being hit by lightning than die. Real world. Where we live this is true. You seriously think Joe average on a golf course has more than 24,000 HP? Really?

If you think that real world lightning is vastly more deadly than being hit in the face by a battleaxe then that is your problem. If you think someone else made an argument that just means that someone else may also be missing it completely when it comes to lightning strikes.

The D&D rule IS unrealistic for game play, it's FAR FAR DEADLIER than any plausible value to make lightning moderately worrisome to mid level adventurers.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Nonsensical and incorrect claim is nonsensical and incorrect.

Far more actual people live through being hit by lightning than die. Real world. Where we live this is true. You seriously think Joe average on a golf course has more than 24,000 HP? Really?

If you think that real world lightning is vastly more deadly than being hit in the face by a battleaxe then that is your problem. If you think someone else made an argument that just means that someone else may also be missing it completely when it comes to lightning strikes.

The D&D rule IS unrealistic for game play, it's FAR FAR DEADLIER than any plausible value to make lightning moderately worrisome to mid level adventurers.
    Given what HP represent, Lightning does 0 HP damage in real life. Instead it would be more like a fairly easy saving throw vs death.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

What’s the point of invoking physics for a character who proudly claims to file physics texts under "Fiction" in his/her personal library?

Now if you don’t mid, V is rather busy telling the laws of the universe to shut up and sit down.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I think a near miss by lightning is enough to make a lot of damage, but it may not always kill. An actual direct hit would kill, always, but it almost never happens. There are millions, billions of volts in a single lightning strike, and 30,000 amps of current.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning#Discharge
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.