New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Belkar and Durkon

Quote Originally Posted by LordRahl6 View Post
    Which leads to a perplexing question of when the rest of the party discover Belkar is telling the truth, how are they going to remove the problem of the HPoH? If the knowledge of vampires is so rare, even their existence, then how does one going about defeating them? Admittedly, they took down Malack, but that was more luck than anything else. Do they need the assistance of someone whose specialty isn't liches?
    The quote is specifically about the nature of how vampires work in relation to souls. While its possible they will still need advice on how to kill him, that knowledge would be far more common.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    The quote is specifically about the nature of how vampires work in relation to souls. While its possible they will still need advice on how to kill him, that knowledge would be far more common.
    Right, it specifically says "detailed internal level" (emphasis mine). The fact that a vampire can be killed by exposing it to direct sunlight is far more common knowledge than the fact that vampires are really negative energy spirits that posses bodies that have been vampirized.

Peelee’s Lotsey

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Right, it specifically says "detailed internal level" (emphasis mine). The fact that a vampire can be killed by exposing it to direct sunlight is far more common knowledge than the fact that vampires are really negative energy spirits that posses bodies that have been vampirized.
    Called it on the "Evil Recognizes Evil" issue, though I love the method by which it comes about.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Apparently Belklar originated this trick on some scale in the story. Whether he's merely talking about the OotSers or something larger I'm not sure.

Also in the new strip, #957, Belkar says that he has been becoming rather adept at exterminating undead. However, these are the normal everyday variety so I would take what Belkar says with a grain of salt.

Edit: Belkar may indeed have taken favored enemy Undead at this point, but given the Giant's comments on Vampirism his bonus most likely will be in a general sense. Also given his own nature as a psychopath, any additional knowledge directly relating to vampires will be limited to destroying them.
    Last edited by LordRahl6; 2014-07-10 at 07:57 AM. Reason: to respond to someone else's post
    Wizard's First Rule: People will believe anything, either because they want it to be true, or they are afraid it is true.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Colossus in the Playground

"You don't think I can tell when someone's faking cooperation to slide under Roy's nose? I invented that scam!"

I see no ambiguity.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by LordRahl6 View Post
    Also in the new strip, #957, Belkar says that he has been becoming rather adept at exterminating undead. However, these are the normal everyday variety so I would take what Belkar says with a grain of salt.
    As Belkar was supposed to add a Favorite Enemy group at some point, I think it's fair to assume he simply added Undead at some point.

Though it's still hardly a big deal and he clearly isn't any match for Durkon anymore than he was for Malky.