New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: What do you Girls want from a Guy physicaly?

*delurks for amusing thread*

Quote Originally Posted by AmberWynne View Post
    Also this, in spades. People become more attractive when you already like them in the first place. I believe there have also been scientific studies that confirm this as well.
    From the male side as well, including the whole 'this is a person I've known for years and I'm perfectly happy with being just a fr...wow!' moment.

On the other hand, all of my serious relationships started with at least several months of friendship before Cupid started lining up a shot, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    I find shooing away spiders to be another fundamental manly duty and not one that's as easily solved with the application of physics (at least not without significant collateral damage).
    What forms of collateral damage? I'm a little more conscientious now (unless it's a redback, I prefer not to share living space with something that can kill me, whatever the odds are against it, and sometimes a similar bias goes to whitetails with that potentially necrotic bite) and usually use the glass-and-paper trick where practical, but when I was younger I had a tendency to deal with most spiders with a well-aimed rubber band or dropping a nice thick textbook (which may or may not be physics, but was usually calculus) on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    I'm a moderately feminineish cis woman, and it is often my duty to deal with spiders. And these are Australian spiders. And I usually deal with them by putting them in a container and putting them outside.
    For example:
    Spoiler: Here's one I prepared earlier
    Show
    Looks huntsman-ish to me - so for you non-Australians, they're not actually that dangerous, and I think they're not actually technically spiders in a taxonomic sense (although obviously closely related).
    Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    So far as I can tell, the trinity of the jar opener, the step ladder, and the strap on have basically rendered men unnecessary except for reasons of aesthetics or personal preference.

Which is good news for us, really. No more crushing anxiety that she only wants us around to deal with stubborn jars on the top shelf.
    Particularly stubborn jars on the top shelf that may or may not have spiders on them?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrake View Post
    and sometimes a similar bias goes to whitetails with that potentially necrotic bite
    It's not even potential it simply doesn't exist warglblflargl!
    Looks huntsman-ish to me - so for you non-Australians, they're not actually that dangerous, and I think they're not actually technically spiders in a taxonomic sense (although obviously closely related).
    Not so much "ish" as "that's exactly what it was", but also not something I really wanted lurking about a metre from my sleeping noggin. I have literally never heard of huntsmen not being a spider.
    *wikis*
    Yeah, they're spiders.
    Lrn2spdr
    Particularly stubborn jars on the top shelf that may or may not have spiders on them?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

They just want us for sex.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

4. - Top - End - #124
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

For me it is pretty simple. The guy has to be manlier than me.
    LGBT in the playground - banner by Doihaveaname?.
    Thanks to Ceika, Dihan, Happy Turtle, Reicaden and Haruki for the avatars.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground

I prefer not to share living space with something that can kill me
    Yup. Marriage isn't to be taken lightly, that's for sure!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

As an enlightened modern man, I'm of the view that the enlightened modern woman can deal with any spiders she, personally, finds offensive in the manner she sees most fit. I am however open to negotiated settlement. I'll handle the spiders, so long as she takes care of the centipedes.

And they say chivalry is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    They just want us for sex.
    That, or hauling the heavy boxes on moving day.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

I've determined another option for males. They can also be Damian Kulash.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's not even potential it simply doesn't exist warglblflargl!
    *wikifies*

As of 2003, which predates most of my sources. Interesting. Although recluses can do that.

Not so much "ish" as "that's exactly what it was", but also not something I really wanted lurking about a metre from my sleeping noggin. I have literally never heard of huntsmen not being a spider.
    *wikis*
    Yeah, they're spiders.
    Lrn2spdr
    Yeah, I can recognise that. Huntsmen are generally reasonably welcome in most of the house, but if they start heading for the bedroom, that's their eviction notice.

Hrrrmn. I note that they have been reclassified - maybe there was something that lumped them back in with other spiders. That, or I was getting confused with harvestmen.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Eh. I have a cat who hunts flies, I don't need spiders. And I'm horrified by them. Serps, can I call you if I need one evicted?

(although I suspect the cat would eat spiders as well)

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

10. - Top - End - #130
    Barbarian in the Playground

Eh. I have a cat who hunts flies, I don't need spiders.
    Are you by any chance an old lady with very particular and progressively larger dietary habits, because down that road lies your death - don't swallow the cat.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

No the cat ate the fly and the spider (and the mouse and the vole and the sparrow). I don't. I eat cows and pigs. But not whole.
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2014-06-20 at 09:55 AM.

― Tim Fargo

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

I find spiders pretty inoffensive - of course, these are English spiders and thus completely harmless. I might feel differently about Australian spiders. Not only do spiders help keep down other irritating arthropods, but I find they also tend to be much less annoying than other irritating arthropods. They don't eat my clothes, they don't fly around my face, land on my food, buzz noisily around my room late at night... I'm pretty happy to have them around. The only time I really get involved with them is if they get into trouble - stuck in the bathtub or the shower just before you use it, getting trapped somewhere, etc.

Having previously lived in a house infested with cockroaches, I'm not too unhappy to see centipedes, either. Although I'd rather not encounter them as often as I do spiders.

We did briefly have a cat last year, who probably did help keep the mice away, but on the invertebrate front he mainly seemed to go for spiders, which was annoying.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

In my more cynical moments, I think that the most important thing is to be around when the girl in question realizes she might die alone. Her cognitive filters will take care of the rest.

― Tim Fargo

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

In my more cynical moments, I think that the most important thing is to be around when the girl in question realizes she might die alone. Her cognitive filters will take care of the rest.
    Problem is that, statistically speaking, the vast majority of women are doomed to die alone. Unless the lady in question has something terminal or is on death row, the odds are her heart will be beating years after yours has gone cold and silent.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

According to my extensive research, what women want is someone to "help them chase the shadows away" and "take them through the darkness to the break of the day."
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2014-06-20 at 02:19 PM.

― Tim Fargo

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

On the other hand, all of my serious relationships started with at least several months of friendship before Cupid started lining up a shot, so...
    Oh, please. Unfortunately for me, my crush is still dating her old high school boyfriend. So we kinda have to just be friends (for now).

A man comfortable enough in his sexuality and gender to unselfconsciously consume a silly pretty cocktail is a beautiful thing.
    Yes, question. Does this also apply to a man comfortable enough in his sexuality and gender to let a girl paint his nails as a joke? (Or similar)
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

17. - Top - End - #137
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yes, question. Does this also apply to a man comfortable enough in his sexuality and gender to let a girl paint his nails as a joke? (Or similar)
    Security in one's sexuality to [insert masculine/feminine trait] is usually considered a positive.
    I've dressed in drag. I didn't do it to be attractive, I did it for other reasons. However, the looks and even the degree of contact I received leads me to believe that it was attractive to some degree.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

18. - Top - End - #138

*wikifies*

As of 2003, which predates most of my sources. Interesting. Although recluses can do that.
    I'd like to know what your sources are, because every single actual study based on actual evidence has found no evidence that whitetails cause any necrosis at all. They just hurt. In fact, I think in one study I saw it suggested it might be no worse, or even less bad, than huntsmen.
    Hrrrmn. I note that they have been reclassified - maybe there was something that lumped them back in with other spiders. That, or I was getting confused with harvestmen.
    Reclassified from what? I have never heard even so much as a suggestion that huntsmen weren't practically the spideriest of spiders. It has come up with daddy long legs before, though.
    Yes, definitely. Also men comfortable enough to paint his own nails just because he wants to, and so on.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    Problem is that, statistically speaking, the vast majority of women are doomed to die alone. Unless the lady in question has something terminal or is on death row, the odds are her heart will be beating years after yours has gone cold and silent.
    Between the variance in ages of people dating, the variance in when people die (it's a very wide distribution), and the relatively small difference in average life spans, this isn't really true. There's a definite trend, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "vast majority".
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

20. - Top - End - #140

NecromancerGuy

We all die alone.

Yes, definitely. Also men comfortable enough to paint his own nails just because he wants to, and so on.
    Which means he has to want to as well.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2014-06-20 at 03:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Which means he has to want to as well.
    Not necessarily. Being comfortable in your sexuality doesn't mean you have to become a full-blown gender-bender. It just means that if you want to do something, you don't let outdated and anachronistic social mores that arbitrarily declare that thing "girly" stop you from doing it.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    We all die alone.
    People die in groups all the time (e.g. plane crashes, bomb blasts, natural disasters etc.).

23. - Top - End - #143

NecromancerGuy

Not necessarily. Being comfortable in your sexuality doesn't mean you have to become a full-blown gender-bender. It just means that if you want to do something, you don't let outdated and anachronistic social mores that arbitrarily declare that thing "girly" stop you from doing it.
    He has to want to do so in order to paint his nails, thus "he has to want to" is a hidden criterion of the selection criteria I quoted. Otherwise he won't have painted his nails and how would you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    People die in groups all the time (e.g. plane crashes, bomb blasts, natural disasters etc.).
    No, that's a lot of people dying alone simultaneously or nigh-simultaneously.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2014-06-21 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Perhaps a tongue was not the most appropriate emoticon
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

While I don't feel a need to always cross-dress, I'm comfortable enough doing so that I can if I have a reason. For instance, I'm comfortable wearing a skirt to dorm government for Pants theme, since we always loosely define pants to mean anything that means you aren't just going in your underwear.
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Part curiosity, part insecurity, Im just interested what you the girls/ women/ ladies (whichever you prefer) find preferable physicaly in a guy/man. Im about 100% likely to regret asking this, but I am becase I wont have the guts to ask later.
    What "women" want from men physically is pretty irrelevant. What you need to do is determine what you want from yourself physically, and then attain it. It is a bit of a self-fulfillment thing. The women who like the body type that you have will gravitate towards you anyways, so really all that matters is what you want to be.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

26. - Top - End - #146

While I don't feel a need to always cross-dress, I'm comfortable enough doing so that I can if I have a reason. For instance, I'm comfortable wearing a skirt to dorm government for Pants theme, since we always loosely define pants to mean anything that means you aren't just going in your underwear.
    Good lad

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    What "women" want from men physically is pretty irrelevant. What you need to do is determine what you want from yourself physically, and then attain it. It is a bit of a self-fulfillment thing. The women who like the body type that you have will gravitate towards you anyways, so really all that matters is what you want to be.
    Excellent point.
    I need some sort of "this post is Serpentine-approved" stamp... Oh well, this'll have to do for now:

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

A man comfortable enough in his sexuality and gender to unselfconsciously consume a silly pretty cocktail is a beautiful thing.
    Though, of course, there are a lot of other reasons to feel self-conscious about drinking a lot of those cocktails. The language deriding the eight-kinds-of-rum-two-kinds-of-cointreau-midori-and-a-pound-of-sugar school of drinks is unfortunately gendered, and a lot of the reasoning behind it probably is for some people, but I think the derision itself is fairly justified. They're still pretty ubiquitous to a point that's annoying for someone who enjoys cocktails, since the cocktail list of so many establishments is not catered to people who enjoy cocktails, but to adults who find kool-aid with the recommended amount of sugar much too tart for their tastes but still want to get drunk, anyhow.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd like to know what your sources are, because every single actual study based on actual evidence has found no evidence that whitetails cause any necrosis at all. They just hurt. In fact, I think in one study I saw it suggested it might be no worse, or even less bad, than huntsmen.
    Short answer is 'ones that postdated the original accusation in the 70s, but predated the more rigorous studies a decade or so ago that debunked it'.

They were also your standard 'dangerous animals' books that were intended to warn people of, well, dangers, so the writers probably felt that while it wasn't proven at the time, it was better to mention it so that people could manage that risk if it was true, then to omit it because it wasn't proven. To be fair, they did also present it as something that was suspected but hadn't been proven.

The reclassification of huntsmen is mentioned in the wiki article - they were previously known by another family name. That sort of thing can be simply a renaming, or it can be part of moving something from one taxonomic branch to another. That said, I haven't been able to chase up why the renaming occurred, and I'm not really concerned enough about my pride to spend more time looking - like I said, it could be that in the years since I was reading stuff about arachnids, harvestmen (aka daddy-long-legs) and huntsmen somehow got conflated in my mind.
    Last edited by Stardrake; 2014-06-20 at 11:16 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149

The reclassification of huntsmen is mentioned in the wiki article - they were previously known by another family name. That sort of thing can be simply a renaming, or it can be part of moving something from one taxonomic branch to another. That said, I haven't been able to chase up why the renaming occurred, and I'm not really concerned enough about my pride to spend more time looking - like I said, it could be that in the years since I was reading stuff about arachnids, harvestmen (aka daddy-long-legs) and huntsmen somehow got conflated in my mind.
    Pretty sure that was just renaming, rather than reclassification, or only reclassification across genus, not order.

Aaaaannyways...
    Ionno.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

I'm comfortable enough in my sexuality to scream like a little girl when I see a spider. Serps, can I call you the next time I see one so you can remove it?

― Tim Fargo