New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Full Metal Plate Mail

One thing I always wanted write was a straight and complete OD&D retroclone, more complete than Swords & Wizardry or Delving Deeper. Thus I wrote Full Metal Plate Mail. It's basically just a clone of the original three OD&D booklets. I did, however, tried to fill the gaps the three booklets have, be it missing monster stats, unclear rules or stuff from Chainmail and Outdoor Survival.

Do we need yet another OD&D clone? Maybe we do, maybe not. I wrote Full Metal Plate Mail mostly because I think it's a nice addition to the evergrowing library of OSR games we have. FMPM is exactly 100 A5 pages long (unintentionally, though).

You can download the free PDF here and the character sheet here.

Critique and comments are welcome, as always. :)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Full Metal Plate Mail

Quote Originally Posted by Lubber View Post
    One thing I always wanted write was a straight and complete OD&D retroclone, more complete than Swords & Wizardry or Delving Deeper. Thus I wrote Full Metal Plate Mail. It's basically just a clone of the original three OD&D booklets. I did, however, tried to fill the gaps the three booklets have, be it missing monster stats, unclear rules or stuff from Chainmail and Outdoor Survival.

Do we need yet another OD&D clone? Maybe we do, maybe not. I wrote Full Metal Plate Mail mostly because I think it's a nice addition to the evergrowing library of OSR games we have. FMPM is exactly 100 A5 pages long (unintentionally, though).

Well done. I've just downloaded it so I've nothing much to say except that I personally would like a good OD&D clone as using the LBB is a pain and I've not been much excited by the attempts so far.

Edit: aw, I've just noticed that you put it under OGL. Deleted it.
    Last edited by 1eGuy; 2014-06-16 at 11:55 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

May I ask what you have against the OGL? Without it, I wouldn't even be able to use stuff like the spell names without copyright infringement. It's also a way to give something back to the community.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

(Scrubbed) /redtext
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2014-08-10 at 01:11 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Giving what up? FMPM is free anyway. WotC doesn't profit from it. I don't profit from it. Even if I did, I didn't have to pay WotC any royalties or anything. I will probably release FMPM into the public domain at one point. And what about clause 7? None of the product identity monsters appears in OD&D 3LBB anyway.

And regarding the "no return" part: I suggest you take a look at Pathfinder.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Interesting. Don't have time to download yet (I'm on my phone) but I will. The LBB is a nice set up, although without the additions you run into a lot of troubles. I will definitely see what I can do with it though. Odds are good I'll be converting my currently starting AD&D game to basic at some point, which may open the way for a direct test of the rules.

Subscribe'd!

I don't think putting something under OGL is sufficient enough grounds to dismiss it entirely. Wouldn't you be better served by examining it in detail and talking the gent out of OGL than boycotting?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm currently working on an expanded version of FMPM that includes all the supplements, including weird stuff like the hit zone system. One day, I also want to release a version with all official OD&D material, including stuff from Dragon and Liasons Dangereuses. Don't expect that any time soon, though. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I don't think putting something under OGL is sufficient enough grounds to dismiss it entirely. Wouldn't you be better served by examining it in detail and talking the gent out of OGL than boycotting?
    Let him have his negativity if he wants. I for one am not keen on going down the road Fast Forward Entertainment did. Also, as already mentioned, FMPM is a free product anyway, so WotC doesn't profit from it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 1eGuy View Post
    I'm sorry to be so negative but I was really annoyed that another person has gone to all that effort only to be fooled into crediting WotC with work that they didn't do and don't have any rights over - or didn't until you put the OGL in the back of it.
    WotC still doesn't have any rights over it. The OGL doesn't give WotC anything - they own the actual OGL, and absolutely nothing else in the text.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    WotC still doesn't have any rights over it. The OGL doesn't give WotC anything - they own the actual OGL, and absolutely nothing else in the text.
    Oh, okay. I thought the OGL might be as bad as the terms of service on deviantart.

So, don't know why but it's not working for me anymore? The tab I had the PDF open in returns a no access allowed thingy.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, okay. I thought the OGL might be as bad as the terms of service on deviantart.
    It's actually pretty short and worth reading, along with being fairly low on dense legalese. The short version is that putting your game under the OGL lets other people use whatever parts of it they want, but requests that you be credited for specifics. Clause 7 mentions "product identity" which is the specifics in question, and that bit is mostly specific to WotC, and is generally used for a certain chunk of D&D content (basically their iconics), with the rest opened up, a change from the TSR paradigm which was more along the lines of cracking down on all internet homebrew. However, it can and has been used by non-WotC non-D&D works, and those could potentially have 'product identity'.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

The product identity part is important. Most WotC D20 products have designated much, if not everything that isn't in the SRD, as product identity. Other companies usually turn all names, specific terms etc. into product identity (e.g. D20 Oriental Adventures). So, if I wanted, I could designate everything that isn't open game content anyway into PI. However, I don't see any point in this. It's just a retroclone, not a moneymaker of any kind.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

So, don't know why but it's not working for me anymore? The tab I had the PDF open in returns a no access allowed thingy.
    Try this alternative link. :)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Version 1.2 (contains some fixes, most notably corrected HD) can be found here.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Oy. I'm going to have a hard time with this, my phone doesn't like Dropbox.

But... OD&D
    D:

Definitely need to acquire.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

I can send it to you via email if you give me an address. Otherwise, I can upload it via Mediafire.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

No, that's fine. I just don't have time to use my computer very often. Between work and infant... Yeah. XD

I'll get to it, I just want to let you know I'm still interested.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Version 1.3 is ready. You can get it on my website or on Lulu. It's also available for POD as a softcover booklet for Lulu's minimum price (which means that I don't make any profit from it). I already got a copy and I'm satisfied with the print and binding quality.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Thumbs up Re: Full Metal Plate Mail

Thanks, I'll check it out

19. - Top - End - #19
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: Please do not give legal advice on this forum. Please continue this discussion without all the legal discussion re: the OGL.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

20. - Top - End - #20
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Nice, I really like the art. Is it all public domain? I didn't notice any attribution.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

The art is indeed all public domain. Most of it is from Henry Justice Ford, plus one or two other artists. The pictures for the undead monsters are mainly from public domain horror comics.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

An A4 version of FMPM is on its way, errata and magic item creation rules included. I still have some formatting to do, though, and want to order a copy for myself before making it generally available. If you come across any more errors or typos, feel free to post them here.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

cool Re: Full Metal Plate Mail

Interesting stuff.
    Thanks and good luck!
    --Ron--
    Awesome Rutger Hauer Jugger Avatar by Thormag
    OSRIC Wiki & Site
    I play at The Unseen Servant PbP Forums

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

FMPM is now available as Letter-sized softcover and hardcover here.

I also updated the PDF version (fixed typos, added magic item creation rules).

25. - Top - End - #25

FMPM is now available as Letter-sized softcover and hardcover here.

I also updated the PDF version (fixed typos, added magic item creation rules).
    Just ordered the hardcover.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Awesome. :) I hope you're satisfied with the print quality once it arrives. Feel free to leave feedback here - I plan to update FMPM until it's perfect (which it will probably never be, but hey, one can try).

27. - Top - End - #27

Will do. Should be here in about 2 weeks.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    Will do. Should be here in about 2 weeks.
    Has the book arrived yet? :)

29. - Top - End - #29

Has the book arrived yet? :)
    Yep, I got it yesterday. The hardback cover is pretty sturdy and has a glossy finish, which is nice. The print quality was a mixed bag. The text was clear and easy to read but the picture quality was not the best. Most of them looked faded, not fully printed, etc. Basically the difference on a home printer between using the Fast/Draft option and the Best Quality option; these were Fast/Draft. The art itself was really cool though.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    Yep, I got it yesterday. The hardback cover is pretty sturdy and has a glossy finish, which is nice. The print quality was a mixed bag. The text was clear and easy to read but the picture quality was not the best. Most of them looked faded, not fully printed, etc. Basically the difference on a home printer between using the Fast/Draft option and the Best Quality option; these were Fast/Draft. The art itself was really cool though.
    I'm sorry about the print quality of the images. I tried to get the illustrations in the highest resolution possible. The printing quality is the highest Lulu has for B/W books and unfortunately the picture quality wasn't the best for other books I ordered from Lulu too. I could release a premium hardcover (using colour printing for better image quality), but the hardcover is already kind of pricey (it's still print-at-cost, though).