Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default D&D 3.5: A Madness in Hepmonaland (OOC)

Congratulations! You made it! Please select your posting color in your first post. As my signature suggests, I claim Dark Red.

Please settle in and fine tune your characters and gear here. Unless there are any questions that delay the start of the game, we start tomorrow in the IC thread. From that point on, I will try to post daily in the campaign to keep the game going. I don't expect daily posting from my players, but please don't make the rest of us wait on you. In other words, check in daily, please, even if you don't post.

Also, a few things about the world:
    1. This is a sandbox world. Everything is a potential plot hook and you may go wherever and do whatever you wish.
    2. Sandbox worlds are organic. Level 20s and Level 1s will mingle in this world, so be smart about who you pick a fight with. The risk of TPK is fairly low in this campaign, but I won't cover you in plot armor. Play wisely.
    3. Everything in this world can be interacted with, and everyone in this world has a backstory. Feel free to roll skill checks to see what you know about the space around you.

Spoiler: Campaign Specific House Rules
    Show

Languages: (all language cyphers come from ChaoticShiny.com
    • Draconic: Sibilant 1
    • Dwarven: Standard 1
    • Elvish: Melodic 1
    • Gnomish: Melodic 2
    • Illumian: Standard 2
    • Infernal: Reversed alphabet (though I could be persuaded to use Latin Gibberish)

Rent will go for 1/2 the price of lodgings, times 30, in the PHB, pg. 129. Therefore,
    • a "Poor" quality shack will go for 30 sp a month
    • a "Common" cottage will go for 75 sp a month and
    • a "Good" house will go for 30 gp a month.

These are average prices. A good haggler can get a better price, and if you're willing to pay a bit more, they can be upgraded, furnished, what-have-you.

The Shack:
    Three walls, a dirt floor and a leaky roof. Old blankets or strips of leather can be used to create a door. There isn't much room for anything other than a pallet of straw or blankets on the floor. There is no plumbing, so waste goes straight into the alleyways. Shanty dwellings are found mostly in the filthiest parts of the Poor District. Sometimes, an opportunistic soul can find a shack with the current renter no longer living. Just drag the corpse out into the gutter and you can live out the remainder of his/her rent term. It's unlikely the landlord will even notice that you're a different person. To them, you're all the same filthy peasant. On that note, sleep with a knife under your pillow.

The Cottage:
    A sturdy, small, one room home with a dirt floor and wood, straw, or shingled roof. No furnishings or plumbing are provided. It's large enough for a small family to fit, but too small to allow for privacy. Thin, wooden doors keep most of the wind and rain out and there is a vent for a stove if you wish to provide your own. These are found in the better areas of the poor district.

The House:
    A simple wood and stone, one bedroom house with a thatched or shingled roof and a wooden or dirt floor. The common quarters are small, but come with a fireplace. The bedroom comes unfurnished and has a small, shuttered window. Cisterns are available for the community to fill wash basins, private barrels and rinse chamber pots. A thin, wooden door with a simple lock provides a small measure of security and keeps most of the weather out.
    These are found throughout the Poor district and Merchant District, though houses in the Merchant District tend to fetch a higher price.

Also, it's your responsibility to apply your XP Handicap Bonus to your characters. Do not apply your XP Handicap Bonus to RPXP.

IC Thread
    Recruitment Thread
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2014-07-10 at 07:02 PM.
    I'm back… more or less. My schedule has evened out some, so I can post more frequently. Daily posting will be a challenge though.

PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters: I'm not playing in any games at the moment.

My Campaigns:

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 3.5: A Madness in Hepmonaland (OOC)

Excited to be here. I am claiming purple. Looking forward to some awesome role play peeps.
    Cl:{D
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)

3. - Top - End - #3

Hello everyone Ill be playing Aarco, and i like to use Dim Gray for my posts.
    Amazing Jack avatar by Tiffanie Lirle

Back after a long break! probably wont be as active as i used to be, but i missed the games

Aarco

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hello everyone! I'll be playing Aria, who will speak in Dark Slate Grey. I look forward to this game!
    LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Hey hey, everybody. Glad to be part of the crew. I'll be choosing dark blue for my color. Lookin' forward to it!

Ninja edit: @Inex What *is* the XP handicap for a Knight?
    Last edited by TheEggKing; 2014-06-16 at 11:56 PM.
    Sir Siegfried Andere, Final Line of the Tharquish Empire, Knight-Errant

I post in this color which is Navy. Why did the chicken cross the road? Answer: chickens have no concept of roads. Discuss.

Hail to the king, baby.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by TheEggKing View Post
    Hey hey, everybody. Glad to be part of the crew. I'll be choosing dark blue for my color. Lookin' forward to it!

Ninja edit: @Inex What *is* the XP handicap for a Knight?
    Knights are tier 5, so according to Inex's home rule you get 40% bonus xp. as long as im reading it right that is

Back after a long break! probably wont be as active as i used to be, but i missed the games

Aarco

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

I will post in the color green

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Red for speech.
    “Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I literally just missed the chance to get red color, so I would take Teal.
    I will be playing Vladimir Al'Verra or Vlad for friends... or Dirty Hippie for the highborn and wealthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    I am to assume you're okay with connecting our backstories somewhat, then? At the very least, what's going to happen is that Vlad is going to look at Natalie and see a less-busty version of Cellia.
    Yes, perfectly fine.
    Last edited by Lexin; 2014-06-17 at 01:05 AM.

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

“Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Lexin View Post
    I literally just missed the chance to get red color, so I would take Teal.
    I will be playing Vladimir Al'Verra or Vlad for friends... or Dirty Hippie for the highborn and wealthy.

Yes, perfectly fine.
    Hey Lexin glad to see you again.

Aarco

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vixsor Lumin View Post
    Hey Lexin glad to see you again.
    Good to see you too.

...All around me are familiar faces...
    And once again the song got stuck in my head. I blame Inex.
    Last edited by Lexin; 2014-06-17 at 01:11 AM.

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

12. - Top - End - #12

Hi guys! Meet the less homebrewy version of Natalie. She speaks in a local dialect that identifies her as a country bumpkin. ("Saddle Brown.")

Being a ranger gives her the Tier 4 combat handicap of 30%. I also found the official analogue to the feat I was using before. It's in Complete Mage, apparently. Hooray!

EDIT: also added a sentence about her older brother, a shrewd merchant who is more interested in the Nipponese side of their ancestry and has gone into overseas trade. He's way smarter than Natalie is, obviously.

EDIT AGAIN: also this, under the enemies section:

"Cellia, Natalie's singular fey ancestor, lost interest in keeping track of her descendants long ago... or perhaps it was the other way around. Either way, the dryad is not proud of her centuries-past indiscretions and is likely to take steps to avoid having to reveal them to her boyfriend."
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2014-06-17 at 01:41 AM.
    Shellie, Natalie, Shoe.

13. - Top - End - #13

Good to see you too.

...All around me are familiar faces...
    And now i blame you hahaha

Aarco

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm innocent, I tell ya!

Anyway, glad to see we're all here. I'm about to go to work, so I'll open the IC thread when I get home tonight. I just couldn't help myself from peeking in and seeing who all made it over. Usually a couple of players drop off from recruitment to OOC, but it looks like everyone made it!

Thanks for coming and I hope you're as excited as I am to get started.
    I'm back… more or less. My schedule has evened out some, so I can post more frequently. Daily posting will be a challenge though.

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by inexorabletruth View Post
    I'm innocent, I tell ya!

Anyway, glad to see we're all here. I'm about to go to work, so I'll open the IC thread when I get home tonight. I just couldn't help myself from peeking in and seeing who all made it over. Usually a couple of players drop off from recruitment to OOC, but it looks like everyone made it!

Thanks for coming and I hope you're as excited as I am to get started.
    I'm absolutely excited. It looks like we have a big, active group; I look forward to the game progressing at a steady pace.

Quick request; could we get a copy of all the information in the recruitment thread? I feel like it's going to be important to reference.

And a quick question: Are there really level 39 and 40 commoners and experts running around this setting?
    LGBTitP

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    And a quick question: Are there really level 39 and 40 commoners and experts running around this setting?
    Oh yeah he's totally serious bout that. Inex has the best city generations. (and he's the best <3)

Anyways I am surprised and pleased to see all eight players made it into the out of content thread. Looks like this is gonna be a busy campaign.
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by missmvicious View Post

Oh yeah he's totally serious bout that. Inex has the best city generations. (and he's the best <3)

Anyways I am surprised and pleased to see all eight players made it into the out of content thread. Looks like this is gonna be a busy campaign.
    Question one: Why the purple? Genuinely curious. Do you do that for all of your text IC?

Question two: How does someone get the same number of class levels as most deities without ever gaining a PC class? What kind of challenge exists to move a Commoner from level 39 to 40?
    LGBTitP

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Question two: How does someone get the same number of class levels as most deities without ever gaining a PC class? What kind of challenge exists to move a Commoner from level 39 to 40?
    Challenging gods with your army of perfectly trained combat chickens.
    Last edited by Lexin; 2014-06-17 at 05:09 PM.

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

19. - Top - End - #19

Rolling a bunch of nat 20's against a horde of house cats.

Aarco

20. - Top - End - #20

Challenging gods with your army of perfectly trained combat chickens.
    Rolling a bunch of nat 20's against a horde of house cats.
    Really, it's all coasting after you get that first Ring of Three Wishes.
    Shellie, Natalie, Shoe.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a funny thing... doing stuff by RAW. Strictly speaking, you have a much higher likelihood of running into an epic level Commoner than you ever would of running into an epic level wizard if you follow the rules for world building in the DMG, specifically the rules on page 139. But it also makes sense if you take into consideration the XP Handicap. Simpler skills are easier to master, and not a one of my NPCs are exactly optimized for combat. They're good at what they wanted to be good at: farming, running a business, fishing, or what-have-you.

Anyway, without further ado... here is the IC thread!

I'll edit post 1 of the OOC thread with a link to the IC and recruitment thread as well.

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

22. - Top - End - #22

Do i roll the profession check to? or am i forgoing it in exchange for the food and bed?

Aarco

23. - Top - End - #23

Inex, you reposted the old version of Natalie's sheet; I made a new one that doesn't have the outside feat. It's the one in my signature now.

Anyway, profession, despite not knowing a thing about blacksmithing: (1d20-1)[16]

= 8 GP! Lucky!
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2014-06-18 at 12:46 AM.
    Shellie, Natalie, Shoe.

24. - Top - End - #24

So fun fact from someone who grew up working for a black smith and everything, you don't actually have to know a lot about it to be a good employee. We only had one person who was really a blacksmith in the bunch but you need people for sales and cleaning up the shops which requires no metal working skills. Then when getting slightly more skilled there is stuff like tanning and cutting the leather for straps and riveting things together, which is pretty easy once its explained. Eventually I did learn how to do some of the very most basic metal working which was cool, but didn't effect my work at all.
    Last edited by missmvicious; 2014-06-18 at 01:50 AM.
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by missmvicious View Post
    So fun fact from someone who grew up working for a black smith and everything, you don't actually have to know a lot about it to be a good employee. We only had one person who was really a blacksmith in the bunch but you need people for sales and cleaning up the shops which requires no metal working skills. Then when getting slightly more skilled there is stuff like tanning and cutting the leather for straps and riveting things together, which is pretty easy once its explained. Eventually I did learn how to do some of the very most basic metal working which was cool, but didn't effect my work at all.
    Huh. Yeah, that makes sense; I guess one would be hard-pressed to run a whole shop on their own.
    Shellie, Natalie, Shoe.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Hey, inex, could you update my character entry so it says Solomon "Grundyman" of Grundy? Thanks.
    “Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by esorscher View Post
    Hey, inex, could you update my character entry so it says Solomon "Grundyman" of Grundy? Thanks.
    Wow, I wonder what character he was inspired by.
    LGBTitP

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Do i roll the profession check to? or am i forgoing it in exchange for the food and bed?
    Yes. Master Grundy is trying to teach you responsibility (and the rewards for hard work) since he thinks you're family, so you're earning a wage. But room and board is still free for you at the Grundy house.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands
    Inex, you reposted the old version of Natalie's sheet; I made a new one that doesn't have the outside feat. It's the one in my signature now.
    Thank you doctor. I'll update it as soon as I'm done with this post!

Quote Originally Posted by esorscher
    Absolutely!

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

29. - Top - End - #29

Hm. I just realized that I orphaned Aria in her backstory, but I didn't give her a place to live now. She didn't lose her mother long ago, but it's been at least five or six months. Where might she be staying? I'm not sure how fleshed-out this city is.
    LGBTitP

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm. I just realized that I orphaned Aria in her backstory, but I didn't give her a place to live now. She didn't lose her mother long ago, but it's been at least five or six months. Where might she be staying? I'm not sure how fleshed-out this city is.
    Well, if you're really broke, you could stay at the monastery. Otherwise, Ibra Down is pretty fleshed out. I can send you a list of hotels, if you prefer, or you could simply live in a house/cottage in the city. The Poor District, Merchant District and Royal District all have residential areas. The Tourist District would have most of your hotels though. Most permanent residences there would be within or above the shops.

If you chose, you may also live just outside of the city walls. Rent free living would be available out there. All you'd owe is taxes, but you live there mostly at your own peril. City guards try to keep everything within the walls free from wild animals, wandering monsters, and most crime. There are patrols outside the city walls, but you're definitely safer inside the city unless you go waaaaay out into the country where the population is so thin, there's nothing to attract goblin/kobold/troglodyte raids.

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry