New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Lightbulb A worldbuilding sketch blog

Lemme rephrase my post:

Behold, an Icaenel Art Blog

Now, do you like it? What about it?

Bonus question: where else on the internet can I let the users know about my artblog? (I'm sure there are other RPG/worldbuilding sites besides GITP)

Thanks! You're awesome.
    Last edited by Johnny.JJ; 2014-06-19 at 02:12 PM. Reason: blah!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: A worldbuilding sketch blog

So this is what get? 29 measly views, and nothing?

Seems like not much of a conincidence, since this is the 3rd RPG related site (of 3) that reacted to my post in this fashion.

What am I? A nerd among nerds?
    Why do I bother?

This **** sucks, that's for certain.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

This is a pretty slow sub-forum. With the exception of the ongoing Empire game threads, it's not uncommon for threads here to go days without comment. From what I've seen, stuff that requires people to click through to external sites get even less traffic.

And there's just not a whole lot for a community like this one to say about your blog. We're used to discussing setting ideas in more of a tabletop-roleplaying or perhaps literary sense; I think this is the first post I've seen here asking for feedback on setting art that wasn't a map of the setting. Is this world intended to be used in video games, comics, or some other visual medium?

If I knew more about the ideas behind the images on the sketch blog, I might be able to comment on them, but there isn't much info about the setting itself. Digging around on the blog a bit, I can find a link to a site written in Czech with more info, but I'd have to Google Translate that to even try commenting on its content, and I just don't trust machine translation enough to do that.
    I have decided I no longer like my old signature, so from now on, the alphorn-wielding lobster yodeler in my profile pic shall be presented without elaboration.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

We're used to discussing setting ideas in more of a tabletop-roleplaying or perhaps literary sense
    Well, do tabletops and illustrations not go together? I've heard some people implying that producing tabletop games that resemble their PC RPG counterpart is a road to hell. Might be understandable. However, in case of images and tabletops, it can't possibly be all that bad ...

Is this world intended to be used in video games, comics, or some other visual medium?
    Nope, just tabletops.

Why using imagery for a tabletop? Because this setting goes for some unconventionalities (i.e. being situated on an alien planet, along with alien plants, creatures, cultures and such), for which, the visual aids may as well add a lot of awesome.

You see, when you grab just another one of those generic fantasy settings (with humans, middle ages, dragons, elves, demons, and stuff), you're in no place to draw all that much, since the themes you're portraying are not all that interesting (well, at least for me).

If I knew more about the ideas behind the images on the sketch blog, I might be able to comment on them, but there isn't much info about the setting itself. Digging around on the blog a bit, I can find a link to a site written in Czech with more info, but I'd have to Google Translate that to even try commenting on its content, and I just don't trust machine translation enough to do that.
    Sure, machine translation can be rather bumpy at times ... but its the best I've got so far.

For more info on the world, lemme link you to this one and this one. Not perfect, but it still does communicate the essential things.

If you can chew through that, be sure to let me know :)