New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What races do you want to see?

Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    I suppose you could even allow special armor fort hem. A large increase in armor class and no actions, or herpes a very slow rolling speed?
    ...did you say herpes?

Ahem. Anyway. I started casting about for ideas, but a string of random thoughts turned into 'small-size golem-people', which might be a bit too Warforged. But still, it was going two ways, one into mechanical/metal-looking chaps, the other into a more natural look... earthy, clay, dirt, dust, DUST! Little playable dust-golem people!

I think I might just write this one myself.
    I support paladins and the alignment system.

My Homebrew Gaming Stuff (not updated lately) - My Campaign (ended)
    Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All my homebrew stuff is released under the Open Game License, except where based on non-OGC work or otherwise stated. For Section 15:

<name of homebrew here> Copyright <year first posted>, T. Pederick

2. - Top - End - #32

Ok, that is a very strange typo. I’ll rectify that before people get offended.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

by dr. bathand, Kpenguin and Fay Graydon

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    -C. S. Lewis

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dead_but_dreaming View Post
    I'd avoid using anthropomorphic animals... that's just too easy. Also, I'd second the suggestion of using undead as a player race. The more I think of it the better and cooler it sounds. Why not make each race a representative of a creature type such as fay, outsider and magical beast?
    How does no anthropomorphic animals and magical beasts go together? And outsiders might pose a problem with resurrection and all that (as do undead) but it's not like you can't pull a warforged-exception on them. But fey, vermin, giants and plants (and if possible oozes) I would very much like to see.

Maybe instead of outsiders (which seem to me a bit too 'far out' to be a player race) you could include resurrectable, downsized elementals. Caught somewhere between a plane-touched and a full elemental, but still registering as elemental. You could do the same with the undead race, they're not alive, but not fully undead, because of some curse or something. They can be resurrected (up to a certain point, namely between life and unlife), but negative energy still heals them. or something.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    How does no anthropomorphic animals and magical beasts go together? And outsiders might pose a problem with resurrection and all that (as do undead) but it's not like you can't pull a warforged-exception on them. But fey, vermin, giants and plants (and if possible oozes) I would very much like to see.

Maybe instead of outsiders (which seem to me a bit too 'far out' to be a player race) you could include resurrectable, downsized elementals. Caught somewhere between a plane-touched and a full elemental, but still registering as elemental. You could do the same with the undead race, they're not alive, but not fully undead, because of some curse or something. They can be resurrected (up to a certain point, namely between life and unlife), but negative energy still heals them. or something.
    Ok, you're correct about magical beasts and anthropomorphic animals... But I still don't like that particular soulution. It seems that some people cannot come up with anything more imaginative than a mix of animal and human...

All outsider and construct races should be "raise-able" of course, just as most native outsiders (is that still an official subtype?).

When I pictured the undead race, I was thinking of the remnants of a destroyed civilisation, whose citiziens where put to death but bodily preserved in one of their cities. ("A wizard did it!" ) Now they have awoken for some reason, (with little or no memories intact) trying to find their place in a changed world...

EDIT: Their major racial ability could be that they are much easier to "ressurect", through some mid-level necromantic spell that can be cast by both arcane and divine spellcasters.

EDIT2: Perhaps they do indeed retain memories (at least partially) from when they were alive, but they were subject to a major, civilization-wide level-drain effect (which means that you can play an undead guy at level 1 who used to be an epic wizard and remembers most of it even though his power has been drained. Also, he lost a great deal of his knowledge. In fact, one could represent the fragmented memories of the members of this race by giving them a racial 'lore' ability, much like a weaker bardic knowledge-thing.)
    Last edited by dead_but_dreaming; 2007-02-25 at 10:12 AM.
    My Skill-Based Magic System!
    Complete, except for some world-specific stuff.

NOTHING
    Transmutation
    Level: Sor/Wiz 5
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
    Area: 20-ft.-radius spread
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Will negates
    Spell Resistance: Yes

Absolutely nothing happens. Everyone get on with their lives.
    Material Components: Several large and healthy camels.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

*pokes the "Forsaken" from World of Warcraft*
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

6. - Top - End - #36

Did somebody say undead player race?

I've always liked that idea.

(I know, I know. Cheese-a-rific to promote my own ****e, but it seemed relevant. Feel free to steal if you want, or not. Not is good too.)
    Last edited by Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick; 2007-02-25 at 06:07 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37

EvilClericGuy

What about different races based on various environments?

I agree that you can have too many anthropomorphic races. Lizardfolk, Avians, and Catfolk are more than enough. We don't need the noble goatfolk (Ibixians) or the noble horsefolk (Equicephs).

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    Klingons!

Naturally.
    +2 Con, -2 Wis, obsession with forehead ridges.
    I tried to stat up the Klingons once. They ended up with a decent LA. One I really have fun with is the Jem'Hadar though. A race of drug-addicted warriors who can turn invisible? I see D & D potential.

Alternately: Ewoks. Lots and lots of Ewoks.
    GENERATION 18. The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Project:

My Creations:

Check out Vote up a Power!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Ewoks

+2 Cha (They're so adorable!), -2 Strength
    Small, +1 size bonus to AC, +1 size bonus to attack rolls, +4 size bonus on Hide checks
    Base Land Speed: 20ft
    Low-light vision: An Ewok can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
    +4 racial bonus to Hide
    Automatic Languages: Common and Ewok. Bonus Languages: Sylvan, Dwarven, Elven
    Favored Class: Ranger
    Last edited by mikeejimbo; 2007-02-25 at 07:51 PM.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zerg. And Protoss.
    Zerg don't have individual minds, so they would be hard to justify. Protoss would be awesome, but the only I way I can think of to do them would be with a huge LA. Think about it, they're Large, have powerful psychic abilities, a couple points of natural armor and significant bonuses to multiple stats.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.

"Time to throw the dice." - Mat Cauthon, Wheel of Time

"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

CELESTIAL Zerg. =P
    And Infested Terrans.
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

12. - Top - End - #42

ElfMonkGuy

Zoras? Gorons? (yes, I have been playing a bit too much Zelda, but they would be fun to stat out.)

I like all of the races from Arana Evolved. Some anthro-types, but there is this one race that is basically a dark-skinned human with a magic affinity. Some neat template-type player races as well.
    Characters:
    None right now!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick View Post
    Did somebody say undead player race?

I've always liked that idea.

(I know, I know. Cheese-a-rific to promote my own ****e, but it seemed relevant. Feel free to steal if you want, or not. Not is good too.)
    Realy nice, Shiny. I still wonder, however, if it would be truly impossible to balance an LA 0 undead race? Consider undead racial classes from Savage Species and Libris Mortis...
    My Skill-Based Magic System!
    Complete, except for some world-specific stuff.

NOTHING
    Transmutation
    Level: Sor/Wiz 5
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
    Area: 20-ft.-radius spread
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Will negates
    Spell Resistance: Yes

Absolutely nothing happens. Everyone get on with their lives.
    Material Components: Several large and healthy camels.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tree-people, like Dryads. But the plantness has to be in the distant past. Like the Neanderthal to our Human.

A Plant version of Eberron's Changelings, basically.

A people obsessed with glory and honor, who happen to be a vaguely vulture-like people. Like, neckruffs instead of hair, that sort of thing. And ritual eating of the dead, because this is vultures, after all.

15. - Top - End - #45

yuk Re: What races do you want to see?

Quote Originally Posted by Karma Guard View Post
    Tree-people, like Dryads. But the plantness has to be in the distant past. Like the Neanderthal to our Human.

I actually just started working on a playable plant race, the Treekin. I might put them up later this week. I wanted them to actually be plants, but now I think they're just gonna be plant-like.
    GENERATION 18. The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Project:

My Creations:

Check out Vote up a Power!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karma Guard View Post

A people obsessed with glory and honor, who happen to be a vaguely vulture-like people. Like, neckruffs instead of hair, that sort of thing. And ritual eating of the dead, because this is vultures, after all.
    Did someone ask for Plant People? Because I have psionic plant people.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elliott20 View Post
    The Mushroom people from Mario Brothers.
    http://fisadd.proboards101.com/index...147748383.com/

Got them stated out. well sorta.
    This was an attempt by a a freind and me to make a d20 super mario campgain but sadly, she moved away and we never finished it.

I might pick it up one of these days.

18. - Top - End - #48

An Error Has OccurredThe thread you are trying to access does not exist.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

by dr. bathand, Kpenguin and Fay Graydon

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    -C. S. Lewis

19. - Top - End - #49

i think pre-Tolkein elves are basically Gnomes without the con bonus, and a tendency to be enslaves by any reindeer driving fatties wearing red. nuff said.
    I'm back... possibly... any minute now... brb.

Horny Halfing Avatar by Anna Molly

20. - Top - End - #50
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    I think dwarves should be moles, as they basically live under the earth, and gnomes should be badgers, as gnomes are commonly described to have mound-like houses, and do not live underground that much, like badgers. Alternatively, make either halflings or gnomes rabbits.
    Rabbits is a good idea. I don't see gnomes being badgers though. Badgers are just too big. Moles are half the size of badgers if that.

On another note, awakening the zerg might solve the problem of the overmind. I mean Kerigan was awakened. sort of anyway. she was effectively a cerebrate. but still.

21. - Top - End - #51

Hmm....thread about new race ideas: Always the same thing.
    Furries

Lets show some self-control people: There are enough Anthropomorphic races.

That said.

Shokati: Pale skinned, white-haired individuals from cold climates. They've learned to live in these harsh environs by bonding with the natural spirits of the area.
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. +2 Wisdom, -2 Intelligence; the tribal Shokati are deeply connected to the spiritual world, but poorly adapted to formal learning
    2. Medium
    3. Base Land Speed 30 ft.
    4. Cold Hardiness: Shokati are accustomed to cold climates; and are protected from extreme cold as per the spell Endure Elements.
    5. Spiritual Patron: Shokati are bound to a Fey Spirit at birth; Shokati can choose three Orisons at 1st level. They gain those as Spell-Like Abilities usable once per day.
    6. +2 to Heal and Survival: Shokati have an affinity for nature and rely on an intrinsic ability to take care of themselves and others to last in their frigid climes.
    7. Weapon Familiarity: Lajatang; Shokati revere the Crescent-Moon shape of the Lajatang and use it for their many ceremonial purposes. Shokati treat the Lajatang as a Martial Weapon.
    Base Languages: Sho Kattha; Bonus Languages: Common, Sylvan, Gnoll, Elven, Darfellan, Aquan, Auran

Terthura: Fey adapted to live in the burgeoning urban landscape. Unable to avoid society, they've instead learned to live among the people and have since blended in as easily as in any other jungle.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Fey
    -Small
    -Base Move Speed: 20 ft.
    -+2 Cha, -2 Wis: Terthura are at home in busy street and have tremendous social grace, but carry their ancestors flighty nature and lack of focus.
    -Word on the Street: Terthura work city streets almost magically, the time required for a Terthura to perform a Gather Information check in an urban area is halved.
    -+2 to Bluff, Gather Information, and Sense Motive: They're too streetwise for niceties, but Terthura know the morally fluid nature of the city even outside of it.
    -Deal or no Deal: Terthura know how to haggle, and recieve an automatic 10% discount (rounded up to the nearest gold coin, but never higher than the original price) on all purchased goods. Apply this discount after applying any other reductions to price (such as normal haggling)
    -Big City Lights: Terthura are bonded to urban environments just like Dryads to the forest. A Terthura takes a cumulative penalty of -1 to her Int, Wis, and Cha for each week she spends outside of an urban area.
    -Little Piece of Home: A Terthura always possesses a piece of her hometown; a cobblestone, a floorboard from her favorite bar, a chip from a local statue, or anything else with significance. If a Terthura loses this piece of her homeland, she takes a -2 on all attack rolls, damage rolls, skill checks, and saves until she either recovers it or acquires a new object.
    Base Languages: Common, Undercommon. Bonus Languages: Elven, Dwarven, Gnomish, Sylvan, Terran, Auran, Ignan, Aquan.
    Last edited by ArmorArmadillo; 2007-02-26 at 05:47 PM.
    Gnoll Paladin with Zanbatou Avatar by Oregano.

Homebrews:

Quote Originally Posted by ExHunterEmerald
    Incidentally, Armadillo, I'd suggest you were hit by a spark of inspiration, but that would knock your armor off.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    An Error Has OccurredThe thread you are trying to access does not exist.
    ??? odd it worked earlyier... I'll mess around with it and see if i can fix it.

edit

lets see if this works:
    http://fisadd.proboards101.com/index...ead=1147748383
    Last edited by TheThan; 2007-02-26 at 06:09 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

I'm absolutely loving the Shokati concept, Armadillo.

Any objections to my stealing/adapting? Just for homebrew, you understand.
    ...some elements thereof, at least.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Cephalids. Sentient Octopi. Only-semi amphibious, very greedy, maipulative, and unsympathetic. experienced merchants and politicians, as well as wizards (specialized in abjuration, enchantment/illusion, and transmutation.)
    Last edited by Hyrael; 2007-02-26 at 06:58 PM.

My colors are Blue/Green. I value versitality, knowledge, evolution, and the nautral world. I have a deep fascination with living things, and a natural talent for adaptation. At my best, I am intuitive and adaptive. At my worst, I am isolated and unsympathetic. My symbol is the twisted tree, and my enemy is Red/Black.

25. - Top - End - #55

I'm absolutely loving the Shokati concept, Armadillo.

Any objections to my stealing/adapting? Just for homebrew, you understand.
    ...some elements thereof, at least.
    Hooray! I'm Participating!

Go ahead, I'm glad you like the concept. (I mean, it's OGC so It's as much yours as mine at this point)
    Gnoll Paladin with Zanbatou Avatar by Oregano.

Homebrews:

Quote Originally Posted by ExHunterEmerald
    Incidentally, Armadillo, I'd suggest you were hit by a spark of inspiration, but that would knock your armor off.

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by ArmorArmadillo View Post
    Hooray! I'm Participating!

Go ahead, I'm glad you like the concept. (I mean, it's OGC so It's as much yours as mine at this point)
    Be-yoinked it is, then! Hoohah!

Because at least one player race or class must be tied to the frozen north.

There is always a frozen north.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Be-yoinked it is, then! Hoohah!

Because at least one player race or class must be tied to the frozen north.

There is always a frozen north.
    If only because "frozen north" rolls off the tongue like butter off a hot tin roof in the middle of summer in the Sahara.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    If only because "frozen north" rolls off the tongue like butter off a hot tin roof in the middle of summer in the Sahara.
    It's my favorite, closely followed by 'desolate wastes' and 'seamy underbelly'.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheThan View Post
    Got them stated out. well sorta.
    This was an attempt by a a freind and me to make a d20 super mario campgain but sadly, she moved away and we never finished it.
    I've actually got stats for basically a whole Mario game. Here, in a Wiki. It's a whole setting, and it's pretty good. I had nothing to do with it.

And yay, plant people :D

I have an FFX race tentatively statted out (Guado), but I'm not terribly good at stats. I should post it and let it get picked at.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm Squid people?
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.