New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: IC - Solomon

1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: IC - Solomon

I see her sad smile and almost depressed demeanor. I'm concerned. "What were you planning? I don't want you putting yourself at too much risk for me."
    Avatar by the awesome smuchsmuch.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Camile pulls her knees up to her chest, hugging them tightly. She's not able to meet Solomon's eyes as she replies to him, "You've... Prepared for all of... This..." She waves one hand vaguely at the room they're in, "You came up with a decent strategy, even the mentor's are doing their best to help you." She looks back at Solomon, smiling softly again, "You've got a good chance, you know? I..." Camile hesitates, haltingly continuing, "Want you... To get back home... To the fields... For both of us."

She glances away from Solomon again.

Spoiler: DC 16 Perception
    Show
    Tears are welling up in Camile's eyes, threatening to run down her cheeks.

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Perception check
    Show
    Hoping for a decent roll, will edit post to reflect said roll. (1d20)[20]

I see her tear up and I shake my head. "I'll try like hell to get back, but we'll be better off in almost every way if we stick together. We can grab twice as much stuff from the cornucopia, and scavenge more food and supplies and be better in fights. Plus, I need a full night's rest to recover spells and I can't sleep during the Games with other Tributes hunting me. And besides, I want you to live as long as possible; you're a good person, and that isn't too common nowadays. What were you planning? I don't want you to die."
    Last edited by IamL; 2014-09-30 at 07:19 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Camile shakes her head slowly at Solomon's comment, "I'm going to... To die. I... Want to at least do some good along the way..." Tears begin to roll down her cheeks, as soon as she notices she tries to wipe them away, "Everyone knows it. I can't fight, I'm no good at foraging..." She sniffs, rubbing her eyes with the cuff of her sleeve, "If I can get you even just another ten seconds... It could... You could... You might go home..."

Fresh tears stream down Camile's face, leaving her unable to speak. She silently sobs into her knees.

Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

I look into Camile's eyes with concern and worry. "I don't want you to lay down your life for me. Ultimately, though, I can't stop you from doing so, and if you decide to do that, I promise I'll use every trick I know, every resource I have, every ounce of life and effort I can use, to win the Games."
    I walk to Camile and embrace her, trying to soothe her.

When she's calmed down a bit, I give her a brief kiss on her cheek.
    -------------------------------------------------------------

When the day of the trials come along, I enter the room with a plan.

I nod to the judges, ensure they are paying attention, then words of arcane power flow from my mouth and I vanish from sight. More words can be heard before I reappear, body aflame. A wall of fire emanates from my body and burns through a dozen targets, turning them to ash. My flaming form cools back down and then I surge back into a burst of electricity, body half-consumed by the energy as I arc towards another group of targets and destroy them. Finally, my body dissipates into a black gas before condensing in an implosion of black light on many of the remaining targets, crumbling them away into nothingness as my form dissipates, vanishing again. I reappear in a flash of blinding light with a smirk on my face.

"Solomon Dreamspinner, District 9 Male, humbly at your service."

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Solomon walks into the room, then casts the spell Vanish. During the invisible rounds, he casts Silent Image to create the illusion of him aflame, then consumed by electricity, then into the black gas. The destroyed targets are also illusory, having been created in strategically placed spots whilst the judge's attention was on the fake Solomon. The judges get dc 19 will saves to disbelieve the illusion. The flash of light is a Blinding Ray fired at the judge in the center as the illusion dissipates in my extra round past concentration from Extended Illusions.
    Last edited by IamL; 2014-10-05 at 10:21 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Solomon is dressed in a grain-colored tunic over a earthy brown shirt and loose light-brown pants. Two dulled obsidian sickles sit crossed in a loop of cloth on his left. He walks to the stage confidently, trademark smirk on his face.

Caesar grins broadly, applauding Camile as she's lead off stage. “Now, next up we have Solomon Dreamspinner, also from District 9! Come and take a seat, no need to be shy!”

Caesar gives Solomon a firm handshake as he reachs him, gently pressing him to sit in the offered chair. Once they’re both comfortable, he leans in close and, with a side glance to the crowd, “Now, Solomon, I have to know… How are you finding the Capital?”

"I like it. Plenty of rich food, comfortable beds, showers it would take a genius to figure out how to work. It probably helps that I don't have anybody to miss back home. Overall, I like it."

"I imagine it's a bit of a culture shock for you, coming to the Capital after the fields of District 9? What do you think of it all, Solomon?"

"Like I said, it's new and extravagant. I haven't have any living relatives for a few years now, and I work in solitude as a Reaper, so having this many people paying attention to me is strange and unfamiliar, as is having people to talk to on a daily basis."

“Solomon, I'm well aware that I might be overstepping here, but any chance you can share what you’ll do in the arena? I promise it’ll just stay between us.”

The audience shares a soft chuckle at Caesar's joking assurance of privacy.

Solomon tilts his head, thinking of a way to word his answer.
    "My strategy? Don't die. Find a base. Set up an established kill zone. Win by attrition; the flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long."

"Now... As I'm sure the audience will recall, there was a bit of trouble with the broadcast from your Reaping, so I'm afraid we didn't really get a good look at your reaction. Would you mind telling us all how you felt, knowing that you'd soon be taking part in our games?"

"Ready. Not happy, but ready."

“And I’m afraid that’s all we have time for. It has truly been a pleasure talking to you, may the odds be ever in your favour.”
    Last edited by IamL; 2014-10-12 at 10:48 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Camile returns the hug, clutching tightly to Solomon. Eventually, she releases him. Her eyes reddened from crying, she brushes her cuff again to try and catch any lingering tears. "I'm... I'm so sorry, Solomon..." She takes a deep breath to steady herself, though it still sounds a little ragged, "I don't know... I just don't know how I can do this..."

Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

I look at her tear-stained face and come to a realization. "Don't kill yourself over me, Camile. Your life is worth more than a ten second longer headstart. I don't know how to say this, but I think I've come to love you over the past few days. You're one of the only kind, compassionate people in a country full of a**holes, and I admire you. Don't kill yourself. Please." I move closer and kiss her lightly on the lips.
    Last edited by IamL; 2014-10-05 at 07:09 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Camile seems more surprised than anything when Solomon kisses her. She jerks her head back a little way, her expression changing to one of bewilderment. Her face flushes bright red, she moves away from Solomon and sits on her bed. "I... Uh... I'm sorry, Solomon..." She stammers, "I... Uh..."

She seems uncertain of what to say, embarrassed perhaps.

Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

I bow my head in embarrassment and apology.

"I'm sorry, Camile. I just...really don't want you to die. I don't deal well with my own feelings, and I'm still not quite sure what I feel towards you. But I think it's love. And I have no idea to show it because I am an idiot. I...I don't know."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Camile places her hand over the bridge of her nose and, surprisingly, starts to laugh softly. "This whole thing's been such an emotional see-saw, I'm not surprised you're feeling confused."

She looks up at Solomon again, slouching forward as she rests her elbows on her knees. "I am sorry, Solomon. I'm just struggling to keep track of myself at the moment..." She offers Solomon a smile which, despite the tear-stains, manages to reach her eyes, "But you've been good to me..."

Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Solomon

I smile. It's not a joyful smile, but also not quite a sad smile. It's something in-between, a mixture of joy and sorrow, strength and resignation. In response, I say only two words.
    "I try."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Camile tilts her head to one side, her smile warming, "I really do mean it, thankyou."

She gets up off her bed and walks over to Solomon, giving him a brief hug. When she releases him from it, she takes a step back and looks Solomon in the eyes, "I'm serious about wanting one of us to get back, though. And I do think you've got the better chance. But I promise I won't do anything stupid at the start."

Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Solomon

I smile; this time, it's a grateful, happy smile. I look into Camile's eyes.

"Thank you."

I reach in and hug her again.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

As Solomon exits the evaluation room, he finds Hayl and Camile in conversation outside, Camile with her back to the exit. Hayl notices that Solomon's exited and gives him a nod of acknowledgement. "I won't hold you up any longer, then." She gives Camile a friendly grin, "Good luck with the interview tomorrow."

"Thanks Hayl," The tone of Camile's voice makes it sound like she's smiling, "Hope it goes well for you, too."

Camile heads over to the elevator, returning to the shared apartment. Hayl, meanwhile, turns her attention to Solomon. "Hey, I know we've not really talked before, but we need to now." She rubs the back of her neck as she considers her next words, glancing over at the elevator, "Camile thinks a lot of you, and she's a sweet person. It sucks that she's in this situation..."

When she turns her attention back to Solomon, her face is an impassive mask, "I'll level with you, the career's want me to join them. I've persuaded them to let Alex in too. I don't really want to fight Camile, but I will if I have to. I don't think the reverse is true." She motions to a couple of benches that sit near the exit, taking a seat herself, "The way I see it, you've only really got one choice. And I doubt you'll want to take it. Camile's the type of person who'll get hurt just by seeing other people die. I bet she couldn't watch the games before she came here, and I bet she has no idea what she's going to do once she's in." Hayl sighs, taking a steadying breath, "It's not nice, not that any of this is, but the only real solution I see is to end her suffering as quickly as possible. Wait until she's asleep, kill her cleanly." She looks up, straight into Solomon's eyes, "Do you have it in you to do that?"

When Solomon returns to the apartment, he finds Marian and Laurel are waiting for him on the sofa. Laurel glances up at him, "Th' result's'll be shown soon, hope y' did well in there."

Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Solomon

I exited the room with a confident smile, pleased at my demonstration.

But when Hayl finishes her sentence, my smile turns quickly into a frown and I shake my head, eyes and demeanor darkening.

"I'm not going to betray my only friend like that. Death is worse than suffering. I do appreciate your honesty, though."
    Last edited by IamL; 2014-10-15 at 03:05 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Hayl studies Solomon's eyes carefully before replying, "Yes... I thought that you'd say something like that..." She seems to be speaking more to herself than to Solomon. She brushes a lock of hair out of her eyes, "Solomon, you can't both live," She looks back at him, "You're deluding yourself if you think you can." She sighs heavily, "Ultimately, I can't change your mind."

She rubs her eyes in frustration, "I don't really know what else I can say, though... I just don't think it's a good idea that you've gotten so attached to someone that you might have to kill."

Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't have to kill her, though. That's the part people don't seem to understand. I'm probably going to die somewhere along the line; all I should care about is getting either her or me to live as long as is possible. And that involves keeping both of us alive."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Hayl shakes her head slowly, "And what if you do have to? What if it's just you two at the end? Or what if Camile thinks you're in trouble and has to kill someone?"

She leans forward, hands clasped together, "I don't want her to die either, Solomon. But if I'm going to get out alive, then she can't. It's as simple as that."

Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Solomon

I chuckle softly.

"Who says I have to get out alive?"
    Last edited by IamL; 2014-10-15 at 08:34 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Hayl frowns, studying Solomon's face for a few seconds before replying, "I suppose there's nobody that has said that..." Abruptly, she pushes herself up to her feet and walks over to the elevator, "Thanks for the chat, see you at the interviews."

Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Rolling for le HP: (1d6-2)[4]

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Solomon Dreamspinner
    Tundra. Damn; I've never liked the cold. Ah, well, the snow should make effective drinking water–if it's not poisoned somehow. But heat is the ultimate goal, heat and food. And since my survival skills are piss-poor, that means I'm going to have to try for the goods in the Cornucopia. Here goes nothing. I think to myself as the 60 seconds count down. When the seconds are gone, I cast an illusion, creating the image of Lox's hands spewing gouts of flame towards the Cornucopia, burning all within it to ash. I then move towards the cornucopia, as if in shock.

Show

Prepared spells:
    Spoiler: spells
    Show

Cantrips: Prestidigitation, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Spark
    First Level Normal: Color Spray, Burning Hands. First Level Int. Bonus: Mage Armor. First level specialization bonus: Silent Image.
    Second level Normal: Minor Image (used). Second Level Int. Bonus: Invisibility. Second level specialization bonus: Invisibility.

Initiative: (1d20+2)[19]

Action: Casting Minor Image (DC 19 will save to resist) as a standard, then moving my full speed towards the Cornucopia. Bluff to appear shocked/taken aback/as a normal, uninvolved person would: (1d20+6)[25]

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

I sprint towards the Cornucopia, trying to find any food, warm clothes, trap supplies, ranged weapons, scythes/sickles, or, best of all, scrolls or other magical supplies. The illusion isn't working as well as I hoped, but it got Alex to fight with Lox. He seems...pretty competent; he was able to quickly analyze the spell I cast. Maybe after I grab supplies, I could form a workable alliance with him by helping him finish off Lox? Or perhaps I should go invisible with Camile and finish off whoever loses. I don't know, but we'll start with the supplies.

Spoiler: actions
    Show

Full run (x4) towards the supplies.
    Perception check to see where the various supplies are: (1d20+3)[19]

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm assuming that Solomon wants to grab one of the inner bag's. He can't actually see what's contained in each, but it's a reasonable assumption that they contain the best gear. If this isn't what you want to do, PM me and I'll edit accordingly.

Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Solomon

I nod and sprint in the direction Camile indicated, trying to get out of the Cornucopia bloodbath as quickly as I can.
    Last edited by IamL; 2014-11-24 at 07:48 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Solomon Dreamspinner
    Observing Goelev cutting me open and chasing after me, I curse, trying to think of a plan. I go back and forth between two plans of action, eventually deciding on the safer of the two. I slow to a brisk walk, my hands carving intricate patterns and voice calling out. As the final word is chanted, I blur out of existence, fading into the background.
    Show
    Casting Invisibility and continuing to move in the direction Camile wanted me to move in.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

As I go to meet Camile, I'm going to open up my bag and see what's inside. When I see her, I call out softly to her, making my presence known.
    Last edited by IamL; 2014-12-07 at 08:35 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Bag Contents
    Show
    Winter Clothing, 4 Day’s Trail Ration’s, Flint and Steel, Winter Blanket

The forest proves to be larger than Solomon first realised, Camile is as yet nowhere to be seen. Instead, he spots Sel and Sheila nearby. The two are racing toward the base of the nearby mountain, Sel takes shelter behind a rocky outcrop. She calls out "Come on! We'll be safe here for a few moments."

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    Last edited by Comissar; 2014-12-12 at 04:21 PM.

Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking at the bag, I am generally happy, but irked that I don't have any trapbuilding materials. Perhaps after today, if I get the opportunity to heal, Camile and I should go on an invisible raid of anybody camped at the Cornucopia.

Seeing Sel and Sheila I weigh my options, then decide to observe more before going in for the kill. I don't have any weapons, but I do have my spells. If I can hit with Color Spray, I could potentially loot any weapons they might have on them and use them to finish them, or just use Burning Hands combined with my fists. Or I could try to distract them with Ghost Sound and lead them into a trap of some sort...hm...I could also potentially form an alliance with them...

I watch them carefully and cast Mage Armor as I plan out my actions.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    Perception check to notice any weapons or gear they could be carrying, and to notice potential trapbuilding materials nearby: (1d20+3)[23]