New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IC - Trefoil

1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: IC - Trefoil

"That's just it. I can get in well enough, but getting out again would prove more problematic." She pauses for a few moments, tilting her head slightly. "Hm. Well, given the sort of level playing field between the careers and the others, maybe some could slip through the cracks. Or, there have to be at least some non-careers and non-ridiculously-capable people who will make it. Maybe I don't need to go in. If there's at least some cover near the Cornucopia, I could just wait and watch...and...most people will just want to get away as fast as possible, and they won't expect me to have a weapon..." Her face has taken on her usual stony expression as she says these last few words.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Chaff grunts noncommittally at Trefoil's proposed plan, "It'll keep you out of the confusion at the start, certainly." He stares off into space as he thinks before continuing, "That confusion is probably more to your advantage than not, the Career's will be presented with more targets than they can deal with in one go. Waiting until after means you'd be the only person they pay attention to if you're caught."

A frown begins to form on Chaff's face as he replays the last thing Trefoil said, "Trefoil, I know it's not something you're going to want to do, but you're going to need to bury your feelings if you're going to survive. Have you ever hunted? Think of the other tributes as animal's."

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

3. - Top - End - #33

"Well, I certainly wasn't planning on gunning for the careers. There have to be some people who make it out while everything is still going on. Who aren't really scary, either."

Quote Originally Posted by Comissar View Post
    A frown begins to form on Chaff's face as he replays the last thing Trefoil said, "Trefoil, I know it's not something you're going to want to do, but you're going to need to bury your feelings if you're going to survive. Have you ever hunted? Think of the other tributes as animal's."
    As Chaff speaks, something like an amused expression forms on Trefoil's face. She can hear the whisperings grow louder, too. Almost like the trees are laughing. "Oh, I've never hunted. But I can think of them as humans." She shrugs noncommittally. "Humans, after all, don't think twice about such things like the felling of trees. Perhaps it is because the trees never retaliated in flashy, showy, brash human ways." Then she smiles a smile that is not mirthful, but is not bitter, either, and is certainly not reassuring. "Perhaps it would be better to think that I am simply showing them the wrath of the woods. Actually, I don't need to think. I am."

And suddenly her expression is back to her normal one, and the girl thoughtfully stares out into space for a few moments. "It's just that speaking of things like that sounds strange. And anyway, I'm probably not going to stay around the Cornucopia that long, given the...talent of this year. If ever I'll just try to get a glimpse of what the others can do...from a reasonable distance, of course."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Chaff hesitates before replying, giving Trefoil a bemused look, "Uh... Yeah, ok. It, uh, it never hurts to know what the others are capable of."

Show

5. - Top - End - #35

Trefoil's expression remains the same, but she viciously grips the edge of her chair as the trees creak and groan angrily. He didn't understand. They never did.

There's a terseness in her voice when she finally speaks up. "Of course. Being prepared is always good." She rises abruptly. "I don't suppose you've seen any gardens around here? One would be a nice place to relax...before. The only views you can get through the windows are more buildings."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Giving Trefoil a bewildered look, Chaff also rises. "Uh, you can change the viewing screen to be forests. The only other thing around here is the park, but I'm afraid tributes aren't allowed out of the building..."

His voice carries concern, likely caused by Trefoil's outburst.

Show

7. - Top - End - #37

"Viewing screens?" Trefoil pronounces the words like they're some sort of profanity. "Unfortunate. Then I think I'll be going to rest." She stalks out of the room and down into her own, solidly pushing the door closed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking average hp.

8. - Top - End - #38

Today.

Dread tingling all over her, Trefoil blankly follows the stylist and enters the tube. Then the door seals, and so does her fate, and she's trapped. She begins to panic as the floor rises, and then suddenly she's up in the arena. The first thing she registers is the trees right behind her, and everything else washes away. She's reassured. Calm.

Focus.

Snow is not good. With the cold, a pack might mean the difference between surviving the night and...not. Any thoughts of trying to get one immediately vanish, though, when she realizes the half-orc girl is right next to her. Better to vanish to the trees. Waiting.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Initiative:(1d20)[19]

Moving backwards into forested area 30 ft. Using Wood Weapon to summon a spear.
    Last edited by Rysc; 2014-11-13 at 08:08 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Will Save:(1d20+2)[10]

EDIT: Hah. Trefoil's still going to back up into the woods, anyway.
    Last edited by Rysc; 2014-11-16 at 07:23 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40

Trefoil frowns at the fire--it was something that Lox might do, since no one really knew what he would do--and her frown deepens as several of the tributes simply rush into the flames. The 5 male is shouting something about illusions, but it doesn't matter anyway.

What's more worrying is the half-orc in the woods behind her. She had to hope that since the other girl had simply retreated, she isn't going to try to attack anyone. Her eyes dart between the boy from her district and the girl being attacked by Kevin.

Show
    First off, Perception: (1d20+6)[9]

If Talas runs towards the trees, Trefoil will attempt to circle around, keeping to the trees, and attack him. If he's slightly out of reach, she'll use Tanglevine (15 ft reach) to try to trip him.
    Attack / Damage for option 1: (1d20+5)[10] / (1d8+2)[6]
    Trip for option 2: (1d20+5)[9]

If Talas runs towards the shore or pretty much in the opposite direction, Trefoil will attempt to move next to Willow and attack her (I think this is within 30ft, but I'm not quite sure). In which case:
    Attack / Damage: (1d20+5)[18] / (1d8+2)[5]

EDIT: Ah, I keep thinking the distance are shorter than they really are. Scratch the previous actions, unless Talas actually just runs to where Trefoil's standing.

1. If Talas starts moving towards the trees, Trefoil will spend her turn moving, running if necessary/ possible, to roughly across from him (where she thinks he will enter the forest), still staying within the trees.

2. If Talas moves to the trees roughly in the southeast, Trefoil will instead move to the grassy area in the southeast in an attempt to intercept him next round.

3. If he gets attacked/ does something else, she'll attack Willow.
    Last edited by Rysc; 2014-11-19 at 01:31 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    While he hasn't run straight at you, Talas' path has taken him close enough to Trefoil that I thought you'd still rather make the attack against him. As such, I have assumed that as your turn. If you'd rather go for Willow, please do say so and I'll edit the IC accordingly.

Show

12. - Top - End - #42

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Nope, that's fine. I actually wasn't expecting him to get close enough, so the Willow attack was a last resort thing.

13. - Top - End - #43

The whisper of the trees swell as Trefoil grazes the other boy, but that isn't enough. He had a bag, and she needed it. A small part of her wonders if she could just take the bag and run, but that part is soon covered by branches and leaves.

Her face a mask of focus, she grasps the spear in both hands and prepares to attack the other 11 again.

Show
    Pretty much going to keep following/ attacking Talas unless someone else interrupts.
    Attack / Damage: (1d20+5)[21] / (1d8+3)[5] (1.5 STR for wielding two-handed)

If Talas moves more than thirty feet away, she'll risk a charge (+2 attack, -2 AC).

14. - Top - End - #44

Spoiler: Forgot a sense motive
    Show
    Sense motive: (1d20-1)[19]

Oh, of course now I roll a nat 20.
    Last edited by Rysc; 2014-11-24 at 08:25 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45

When the blow connects, Trefoil maintains her mask and keeps from crying out. The only outward sign of pain is her jaw clenching. It isn't too bad. Nothing a little magic can't take care of. That is, assuming nothing much worse happens.

Stay, whisper the trees. Finish him off.

Out of the corner of her eye she glimpses the other tributes threaten the 10 boy. A pity, as he might have been useful. He might make it. At any rate, she has no intention of getting involved in that fight, especially with the mage boy. She wanted to get out of here as fast as possible. After she was done with...this, though. Shifting stance slightly, she again thrusts the spear at the other tribute.

Show
    Attack / Damage: (1d20+5)[7] / (1d8+3)[9]

...oh well.
    Last edited by Rysc; 2014-11-29 at 08:07 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

Spoiler: AoO
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+5)[12]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[8] +1 because of wielding two-handed for 9 damage total

And you were correct, Trefoil will instead chase after Talas.
    Last edited by Rysc; 2014-12-03 at 06:11 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Spoiler: Question
    Show
    Sorry, just thought of this. How far away is Talas? If he withdrew and is within 60 ft, would it be possible for Trefoil to charge + make a trip attack using tanglevine?
    Last edited by Rysc; 2014-12-04 at 08:32 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Answer
    Show
    I thought charging was a full round action, preventing the chance to use another action?

Show

19. - Top - End - #49

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, you're right. I got confused with making a trip attack (in place of a melee attack) and using tanglevine to make a trip attack.

20. - Top - End - #50

Trefoil glares at no one in particular as she misses twice. The boy would probably keep running, and she still had nothing. Some help would be nice.

Show
    If Talas for some reason only moves 45ft or less, Trefoil will move + trip w/ tanglevine.
    Trip: (1d20+5)[10]

If Talas moves 60ft away, Trefoil will charge and attack. If he doesn't move, attack with the same rolls (to-hit -2).
    Attack / Damage: (1d20+7)[17] / (1d8+3)[6]

If Talas runs and moves too far away, Trefoil will also run and continues to chase him, in an attempt to get out of sight of the others before trying any spellcasting.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Trefoil keeps pace with Talas, managing to land a spear blow into his leg. With fear in his voice, Talas yells "Get away from me!"

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    Last edited by Comissar; 2014-12-12 at 04:28 PM.

Show

22. - Top - End - #52

Trefoil pauses ever so slightly. For a moment this all feels so terribly wrong. She had seen this boy as they had grown up. What is she doing, again?

The trees creak angrily, and the whisperings fill her mind. She remembers he was--is--just like the others. The people didn't care. They don't. They watched the trees grow up, too, but then they hacked them down and burned them up.

Besides, what is the vague tie of the same grueling labor in the same walled district in a game of death?

It would be quicker than to slowly wait in the cold. He wouldn't have lasted that long anyway. She mutters, "Sooner or later. It doesn't matter." Perhaps it would've been better if it had been one of the others, but everyone else was either dying or too fearsome. Her resolve hardens into wood again.

Show
    AoO
    Attack / Damage: (1d20+5)[22] / (1d8+3)[11]

Either running or charging + attacking, whatever's possible.
    Attack / Damage: (1d20+5)[24] / (1d8+3)[9]

EDIT: In the event that the AoO took him down, Trefoil will grab the bag and continue moving south.
    Last edited by Rysc; 2014-12-11 at 07:23 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Trefoil's final thrust slides between Talas' ribs from behind, laying him out onto the ground. He is wracked by an agony of coughing before becoming still, the metallic scent of blood filling the air whilst the snow is stained red. The surrounding trees stand in silent witness, the distant sound of shouts and yells from the cornucopia the only sound.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Between the AoO and the charge attack, Talas has been knocked into negative health. Map edited into previous post.

Show

24. - Top - End - #54

Almost without pausing, Trefoil yanks the spear out and then rams it down again. She takes a moment to survey her handiwork, before the distant noises become too unsettling.

The trees watch silently in approval.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full round action to coup de grace.
    Damage: (1d8+3)[6]
    Crit Damage: (1d8+3)[10] (1d8+3)[4]
    Last edited by Rysc; 2014-12-12 at 08:05 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Trefoil's last thrust draws no reaction from Talas' body, the boys breath no longer steaming the air. It takes a few moments before she realises that the sounds of fighting at the Cornucopia appear to have stopped. Instead, all that remains is the distant murmur of conversation. Even this is difficult to make out through the muffling trees, the only thing giving it away being the irregular rhythm of the noise.

Spoiler: Local Map
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #56

Time to leave.

She isn't sure who's thinking that, but it's a good thing to do, either way. Careful to keep away from the bright-staining blood, she pulls the pack off the boy's body, before dashing off further into the woods.

Snow is not good. Trails are too easy to track...

Spoiler
    Show
    Picking up the pack, and then running or moving as fast as possible southeast, trying to keep on the edge of the green area if possible.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Trefoil follows the edge of the clearing eastward. From where she is, she can see that it's a relatively empty area within the forest. Unlike everything else she's seen so far, the ground in the clearing is clear of snow. As she's running, she catches a glimpse of movement ahead of her. Camile is moving at a jog, apparently oblivious to Trefoil's presence. Before she can get a good view of the girl from 9, Camile is already moving further away.

Spoiler: OoC and Map
    Show
    You are (for now) out of combat rounds. Details on what this means in the main OoC.

Last edited by Comissar; 2015-01-01 at 01:06 PM.

Show

28. - Top - End - #58

The ground being clear is good, but suspicious to say the least. Of course this is the arena, so she should probably assume everything is suspicious.

When Trefoil first glimpses the 9 girl, she slows to a stop, keeping still and silent. She's fairly certain that the two 9's are working togther, but there's no sign of the other one, the mage. The girl is probably still trying to find him. She still has her spear, but she'd rather not get caught in combat again.

Instead she waits until the 9 is out of sight. After riffling through her newly acquired pack, she begins moving in the opposite direction.

Show
    Checking to see what's in the pack, and moving at a hustle to the southwest following the forest. She'll keep moving for 30 minutes, or until the forest ends/ something of note comes up.

Is there any way to hide/ conceal tracks? The only reference to this I could find (without using a class feature) was under Survival under tracking DCs:
    Tracked party hides trail (and moves at half speed)
    If this is correct Trefoil will then move at half speed and attempt to cover her trail.
    Last edited by Rysc; 2015-01-01 at 05:01 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Quickly searching through the bag she's obtained from Talas, Trefoil finds that she is now in possession of a 10ft. length of Silk Rope and an Empty Waterbottle. Confirming that these meager pickings are all that she's managed to get, she starts making her way toward the south-west. The forest proves to be far smaller than she expected. Before too long, she's reached the south-western edge, the beach visible just a short distance away.

Spoiler: New Map + OoC
    Show
    Add the above items + a backpack to your inventory. The waterbottle is basically just a metal waterskin.

Show

30. - Top - End - #60

The contents of the bag are somewhat disappointing, but better than nothing. The waterbottle would be useful. Spell components would also have been useful, but she'd be fine without them.

Trefoil is more irritated by the forests' abrupt end. She could turn around and try going to the north-west, but that would be wasting precious time. She doesn't want to risk running into the 9's, and she is also fairly certain that there are more tributes to the north. In fact, she can't seem to remember anyone running south. So along the beach, then.

Her gaze darts around nervously as she finally ventures from the comforting presence of the trees. Maybe she'll find more later on. Almost as a reflex to no longer being under a roof of branches, she glances at the sky, or what passes for the sky. Knowing if a storm is coming will be handy.

Show
    Continuing along the beach as before.

Taking 10 on Survival to predict the weather, for a result of 16.
    Last edited by Rysc; 2015-01-02 at 09:47 AM.