New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 3.5: A Madness in Hepmonaland (IC)

Argi'er ambles along during the trek to the city, not helping the men as he goes. No need to help these vermin.
    As the city comes into view, even his somewhat jaded persona is surprised by the devastation. He walks into town with his mouth hanging until someone points it out, when he scowls back.

As they move them into the guard and the talk goes back and forth, he makes them push him along but not quite to the point of violence.

Once in the cell, he waits for the guards to leave before approaching Natalie. "So, did you do that to the city?" he says with a nod of his head. "Guess I can understand why they would be upset."

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Bugbear in the Playground

Focused on the jailer's question Lydia replies. "I'd like to hire a lawyer. " She ponders it further a moment. "I have the money, Natalie and I are looking for the best in town."

With the jailor now aware that Lydia is willing to drop some serious gold for a good lawyer she turns her attention to Arg'ier. "We," she gestures to her and Natalie "did not. Natalie isn't even from Highwyn. You saw the broken tower on the way in? That was the was The Tichines the arcane academy , before, I attended there. When the magical madness was still primarily unheard of some of the professors snapped. The destruction started in the higher levels of the tower and cut swath through students and teachers alike. And as a student there and a wizard I'm an easy person to blame." she explained.
    Cl:{D
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

Lydia Deshayes, Socially Awkward Necromancer with a Broken Heart
    Wanderlust, a free spirited, hammer weilding barbarian.

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

The jailor takes down everyone's records and bangs a stick on the jail cell bars. "Easy, now easy now. That's enough chatter out of the bunch of you. I'm in charge here, and when I ask questions I expect answers, so the lot of you better shut your mouths!"

When he hears Lydia's offer for paying any price, he comments curtly, "That'll be Alexei. He's never lost a case. He's not gonna' care..." he looks conspiratorially between Argi'er and Lydia, "wwwhat ya did. As long as you've got the jingle jangle to line his purse." He pauses a moment to consider whether it was a good idea to recommend a sleazy lawyer to a possible mass murderer, but shrugs innocently. Cat was out of the bag anyway.

"Anyway, I'll have him ready to meet with you in the morning. The rest of you can defend yourselves. Sleep well in hell."

With that he wonders off and bangs on another cage on the way out. The pathetic looking inmate jumps in fear at the sound and the jailor giggles stupidly as he slams and locks the door behind him.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Ogre in the Playground

The walk into the city was a sobering one for Gabriel, the ruin and devastation calling to mind memories of snapping jaws dripping with molten fire and death. Slipping from Ahna's back, they walked quietly alongside the prison train, one hand buried in the fur at the scruff of the pitch-black leopard's neck. Their eyes downcast, they still took in much of the destruction and efforts at regrowth that were being effected by what, by all appearances, was a community much stronger than it gave itself credit for being. Lost in thought, the arrival at the jailhouse startles the green-haired druid from their reverie. Understanding that it might not be best to enter with the prisoners, he takes a moment to enquire with the guards as to the hour of the expected trial.

That done, they make their way further into the town still watching quietly the work. At first unsure as to their destination, they come to realize that their first destination must be the leader of this astounding community. With a friendly and humble demeanor, they begin to speak with the people they pass, looking for directions to the town hall.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I suppose this is either Diplomacy or Gather Information?

(1d20)[15] +5 for Diplomacy, or +2 for Gather Information

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Natalie and Lydia are released as free and exonerated residents of Highwyn on the 4th day of trial.

Algi'er is given conditional release pending the results of the sending, which will be arriving some time tomorrow. Furthermore, he owes the City of Highwyn 50GP or 1 week of community service.

All of your gear is returned to you.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Ogre in the Playground

To Gabriel's delight he made the acquaintance of the cabal of Adepts in Highwyn, who allowed him to stay and rest in their garden at the easy cost of some of his druidic magic to support their efforts. After a restful night curled against their boon companion's flank, Gabriel rises and heads directly to the office of Akemi - the nominal leader of the watch and a town hero. Gaining entrance through their natural charm and a certain rapport with the Highwyn City Watch, they make quick pleasantries before coming to the point.

"Akemi, I come both for my own sake and for the interests of the Druids of Hepmonaland. This war that threatens us all is a cancer on the land, an impulse of hatred and intolerance that represents a perversion of the natural order and state of goodly hearts. I ask little of you, save that any able-bodied persons you might be considering as prisoners or indebted workers to be released to my care,
    in the hopes of pushing back against this war-front. In the midst of war, understanding and healing cannot occur... and the blight on magic that exists in this land cannot be discovered or resolved while we struggle for survival between ourselves."

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Ettin in the Playground

Paying the Piper

Natalie uses her fingers to add up Alexei's smug list of expenses, counting the ones both for her case and for Lydia's. As if by design, his retainer for the week in both legal representation and palm-greasing adds up to 10 gold pieces. "Huh... uh, yeah! I've got that! Uh, could y'all get my bag?"

She points through her cell bars in the direction she thinks the Onion Warden took her effects. To Natalie, this price actually feels kind of low, though that might just be due to Alexei's fantastic salesmanship. If Lydia tries to say something to the effect of haggling or paying her half, Natalie just says, "It's okay! Y'all helped me before."

She seems oblivious to Alexei's reputation as a sleazeball. 'He doesn't care what you've done,' sounds like an admirable restraint from prejudice to her.

When the attorney asks about character witnesses, Natalie readily starts throwing out suggestions, backpedaling through half of them, speculating about how they could be found, and probably getting her friends at the Respite confused with one another. Alexei safely ignores most of this and instead contacts volunteers via his own acquaintances and messengers.

We're Off the Hook! Hooray!

Ninja-mask Natalie sneaks up to the lawyer's desk and starts writing a letter without asking. By the time anyone notices, there's no real point in stopping her. The ink is already bleeding all over the page. The most Alexei can do is charge her for the paper she's using.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dear Mom and Dad,

You all probly heard that I've gotten myself into big trouble lately. So first, I just need you all to know I'm okay! I'm in Highwyn helping Lydia because the guards thought she was involved with the gang of mad wizards that blew up half the city.

Things are pretty bad here. A lot of guards and monks died in the fight and now they're fighting with the druids about how much wood they can use to rebuild. There are a lot of people from over seas here too, running from the Tharkqish empire. I think the guards are going to need all the help they can get to rebuild before their army shows up to catch them.

There's a druid here named Gabriel, too. He's one of the Tosscobble halflings, I think. I'm going to be here a while helping the guards and the druids work together. Please don't worry! I'll be OK, and I pray you all are OK too.

PS Tell Noki and Nomi happy birthday for me! I'm sorry I missed it

PSS: Horsie is still at Mr. Grundy's house. His stable guy has been feeding her and stuff but I think she's pretty bored there. Take good care of her for me, OK?

PSSSS: If you all need to tell me something or hear anything about Aria you can have something delivered to Alexei here. He helped us make sure Lydia didn't get executed for something she didn't do and we can pick stuff up from his office
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2018-03-17 at 09:00 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1208

The entire trial had seemed so surreal to Lydia. She had been glad she just paid the money for a great lawyer. Alexei had done a better job then she could have expected but it was odd for her. She would state her innocence and he would do something like wink and say "Sure you are.' To which she she felt the need to explain that she really was innocent. Not that he cared, but he did find a lot of evidence and so she was ultimately greatful.

It had also been very hard for her going through the events of that day for the judge and jury. The painful memories brought more phantom sparks and sounds in the court room which she'd thought for sure would have made things worse, but the jury was sympathetic. So much so it didn't feel real, no many people had cared to have sympathy for the awkward necromancer.

When she and Natalie stepped out into the city streets, declared free she took a deep breath and looked at the city in a new light. The thought of coming back had been terrifying for her, the city seemed like it would have been her doom but now it seemed different. It was not scary but deeply saddening. She turned her gaze to the broken tower and frowned. Probably not the expression you would expect from someone who didn't get found guilty of murder. Highwyn was in a rough place still, she hadn't done it but she still felt guilty. She mentally vowed to try to help them somehow.

She looked to Natalie and did her best to smile. "Look at us, a couple of free women, not murders at all. Feels good." She said. It really did feel good to not been seen as a monster by these people. "If you don't need to rush back to Ibra Down, I would like to stay her a bit." She added shyly.
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Titan in the Playground

Argi'er, once the trial is done, is both content and displeased with the results.
    Imagine being accused of using magick to alter the verdict? And having to wait to hear from Upper Ibra!?!?! They should just let me go! he thinks indignately to himself. He shakes his head as he begins to walk out after paying his fines., rushing to catch up to his former cell mates.
    "Ladies, ladies, hang up a moment." Catching his breath, he continues. "Look, I'm happy for all of us, these people fearing any kind of magic and laying blame of the few on the many." he stumbles out before composing himself. "What I mean is, I'm glad they found you, and me, innocent. Well, me, mostly. I have to wait until they hear back from Upper Ibra. Well, I have to stay hear for how long they can turn that back and I've never been to Highwyn, only hearing of it from traders and caravans up in Upper Ibra.
    I'd appreciate the company, at least for a bit, rather than being a lone stranger caught in a potentially hostile town. What say you two?"

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Ettin in the Playground

"It sure does! Okay Lydia! Where do you want to go first? Is there, uh..." Natalie pauses as she remembers the state Highwyn is in right now, as well as something about Lydia's best friend being a monk from that burned-down monastery. "...is there anyone still around that you remember?"

It's probably lucky that Argi'er shows up to interrupt the ensuing awkward pause.

"Oh, hi! You're the guy that bounty hunter brought, right? Sure, you can come with us!" Natalie stares at the shrewd mage for one more second, then laughs nervously. "Ahaha! Uh, what's your name again?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2018-03-17 at 09:51 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Titan in the Playground

Argi'er looks a bit embarrassed as the girl mentions the bounty hunter. "Yes, that was me. Argi'er. Argi'er Traklin is my name." he gives a small bow at the waist before continuing. "From what I gathered of your trial, just a small misunderstanding. What is there to do in the burg?"

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

The small city sprawls out before you, but options still look bleak. Most of the large structures and taverns have been destroyed. Those that remain are still being used as makeshift emergency shelters for those rendered homeless by the assault.

Spoiler: Current Map of Downtown Highwyn
    Show

Most of Highwyn's economical strength came from its schools, which are now destroyed. Secondarily, they ran a strong export of wood from the mill, which has now been fully restored, as it is their new main financial resource. The rest of Highwyn is largely agricultural, so even though Highwyn has a large population, it still feels very much like a village, due to how widely spread the people in its territories are.

Looking at the map, you can see that you are near the crossroads at the center of downtown Highwyn, where the 3 buildings are clustered together. The largest building serves as town hall, courthouse, and magistrates office. The building on its southwest corner is the City Watch barracks, and connected to the southwest tip is the prison you were held in for trial.

Heading south will lead you back towards the dismal looking city entrance where the schools used to be. Heading north will lead you into the jungle. Heading east will lead you into their agricultural district. And heading west will lead you toward the Madam Brushgather's Garden, the closest thing to a magical stronghold the city now has.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

13. - Top - End - #1213

Lydia was a bit surprised by Argi'er's chumminess, but his reasoning made sense. She takes a deep breath mentally picking what there was to do around Highwyn verses what there is remaining. "Honestly if its recreational things you are looking for there probably isn't anything left. I imagine even any remaining taverns still taking coin for ale are going to be more sad then fun these days." She pauses "Though if you mean what is there to do around here for work, there is no shortage. With more then half the city dead they need as many hands as possible. I got to talk to a few people about it and there are other wizards that escaped and are still terrorizing the area. There are bounties out. I was thinking of trying to go after Professor Yukio myself."
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

A guard marches out of the town hall office and toward the prisons.

A few moments later, the same guard leaves the prison, and head backs to the town hall, carrying papers.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Ettin in the Playground

"Bounties... Uwah! The real killers escaped?" Natalie's train of thought leaps from the druidic conflict to this without much prodding. She's not too broken up about the lack of taverns, either; if she wanted to goof off, she'd go for a hike or play with Gabriel's cat. "Okay, I'm in! Let's get 'em!"

She doesn't really pay special attention to the guards. There's still a lot going on around here, and piles of paper seem like normal city stuff as far as she knows.

Before the group actually breaks to prepare or head out, she remembers something else. "Oh! Uh, I was also writing a letter home. Do you want to add something before I give it to the teamsters?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2018-03-19 at 10:12 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, not looking for a massive party or anything, but somewhere to get a warm meal that isn't some thin broth by a ham-fisted bounty hunter who is looking to make sure you don't have the energy to run." He looks askance at Natalie's comment but doesn't comment on it. "Regardless, somewhere to eat and grab a drink is a good start."

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

As your group is talking, you see Gabriel Tosscobble and his gorgeous leopard Ahna striding out of the town hall.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Ettin in the Playground

Natalie waves excitedly and runs up to the Halfling, almost dropping her letter in the process. "Hi Gabriel! I was looking for you! We were gonna track down the ones who did the thing Lydia was framed for. Do y'all wanna come?"

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Ogre in the Playground

The green-maned halfling laughs and waves back as Natalie approaches. ”Hello friend Natalie! I was just coming to look for you and your friend... who I see right there! A hunt for revenge is it? I am not certain that this will be the best thing for you, but perhaps there is good to be found in the path. I was hoping to solicit your aid myself, actually. I go to turn the tide of this war, to give some relief to this land and perhaps one the front has been brought to calm a more lasting peace can be found.” Gabriel pauses, guaging the response of the others. “What say you? It will certainly take us away from this city, and our path may even cross that of the mage you seek.”

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Titan in the Playground

Argi'er follows behind Natalie as he looks over at Lydia. "You're looking for the ones who framed you? Not to sound out of line but that seems awfully dangerous. Seeing as how you have some magic on your side... is it enough to balance things against someone who could frame you?"

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zeke winces slightly as he steps outside - perfect. Exactly what he'd wanted to see. Not only the druid, but his failed paycheck, the other wizard, and the- Actually, Zeke still isn't sure what the other girl is supposed to be, but she seems to be with the wizard. Wonderful. A whole menagerie.

He gritted his teeth. Vaguely sociable face.
    "You there," he tried, mostly at the druid whose name he'd never bothered to ask, but tenuously at the rest of the group if any cared enough to listen. I... don't suppose you'd have an interest in taking down a rogue mage in the area? Yukio, his name is. Apparently he's been causing a lot of trouble around here." There. An attempt to appeal to his better nature.

Gods this had better be worth it.

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Ogre in the Playground

Gabriel looks back and forth between Zeke, Natalie, and Argi'er. Their gaze drifts a bit further to find Lydia, watching for any reaction to the new arrival's words.

"A strange congruence, this. Natalie, is this Zukio the vagabond you were to seek? If he is a local nuisance instead of simply a path to revenge, then I believe that Ahna and I could accompany you and help." Gabriel again looks around the group. "Are we all agreed, then?"

Ahna, bored of this talk, had walked with feline grace towards Natalie, stretching her nose out to sniff at the woman's fingers.
    Last edited by PeacefulOak; 2018-03-21 at 05:33 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1223

Lydia scurried after Natalie and joined in the conversation, shooting a glance back to Argi'er to indicate he should also join them. "Its not really revenge.' Lydia starts explaining. "Leaving unchecked mad wizards to terrorize the area, especially while its weakened seems irresponsible," she pauses a moment "and I intend to try bring him back alive. Having your mind be the enemy can make you do terrible things, but if something can be done about the madness it will not do anyone any good if all the wizards are already dead. Although I do believe I'd be interested in helping in the war efforts, afterwards. All that being said Argi'er has brought up an excellent point about starting with a hot meal."

When Zeke shows up, she pauses. "The goal is to bring him back alive. Whatever he is now, Yukio was a good man. If a cure can be found, he should be given the chance to receive it. If your aim is to help us catch him alive, then you're welcome to join us."
    Last edited by missmvicious; 2018-03-21 at 04:24 PM.
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Ettin in the Playground

"Mrow? Nya nya." Natalie happily greets Ahna and kneels down to pet the panther behind the ears and neck as Bounty Hunter Guy also joins the party. With this whole team on our side, that evil wizard is going down for sure.

"Cool! We're all going, then! We can help out at the front, too, once the professor's, uh..." She finds herself stuck between saying, 'out of the way,' and, 'taken care of,' but knows on some level that neither of those quite work. Lydia really misses her teacher, doesn't she? "Oh! If we're trying to capture him, maybe I should get some of those things like Solomon made. The, um, bean bags! Do you think they'll have some at the trading post?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2018-03-21 at 09:42 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Titan in the Playground

Argi'er gives Zeke a long glance with the stink eye as he approaches. While he shouldn't complain, he was in truth a fugitive from the law no matter how wrong the circumstances were, he didn't like being taken down the way he was and with such ease. Putting together what he said along with what Lydia and Natalie say, he stands there with a not quite open mouth for a few moments before answering.
    "Look, I'm all for helping other and what not... and its not like I've got something better to do, but we are talking about one of these magic-crazed wizards who is devastating the countryside, right? Shouldn't this be left to the professionals... or proper authorities or whatever?"

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zeke rolls his eyes. "Yes, it should be left to the professionals. That's why I've taken the bounty. Hunting rogue mages is my job." Even if it meant working with amateurs. And on that note...

He turns to the wizard woman. "I make no promises. If he can be taken alive, wonderful, but I wont throw my life away over it if it's him or me. Those are the best terms I can give you, and you wont find better from anyone else around here."

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Ogre in the Playground

Gabriel acknowledges Lydia as she speaks, a broad smile spreading on their face. "I am well pleased that it is not vengeance that drives you, and agree that capture is by far the best option. And of course it goes without saying that we will defend our lives if it comes to it.... but a fallen foe need not be a slain foe. We will show moderation in an effort to help you achieve your goal, friend."

Ahna is thoroughly enjoying the attention, rolling her head to offer the best places to scratch and rumbling a deep, heavy purr. Her brilliant green eyes show a certain intelligence before they slowly close in a display of domestic bliss. Gabriel steps closer, not intruding in the exchange but watching closely. "You seem to have a way with animals, Natalie. Perhaps we might discuss this at some point together?"

28. - Top - End - #1228

With the agreement that they will be working towards the same cause the group heads to one of the few remaining restaurants in town to figure out a game plan for taking down Yukio. Lydia contributes to Natalie's letter and offers 10 gp for the delivery of her alchemist supplies to her parents home in Golden Bay

They order lunch and sit down to figure out their strategy for tracking and capturing Yukio. Though she technically concedes that if its their lives or his they could kill the professor, Lydia is secretly sure they can take him alive, she felt hopeful about the entire thing.

During the course of lunch they get their plan together. Lydia also dropped some coins with the staff at the restaurant to find out where Yukio had most recently been seen. Its only early afternoon and they decide to strike out to find him that day. Lydia had not been inclined to stay put in town idly.
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Ettin in the Playground

"Haha! Thanks," Natalie tells Gabriel. "I've been working with them as far back as I can remember. I'm still not near as good as a druid, though. I should be asking y'all how you found this good girl!"

As it's a good place to gather information anyway, Natalie follows Lydia along to the nearby trading post and hands over the letters to be delivered to Mr. Grundy, enclosed with Lydia's 10GP alchemy bounty, instructions regarding what he's to do with the other letters and a message about the group's current status. She and Lydia are OK, Aria is still probably at the assembly (Tell her hi and good luck if you see her, OK?) and Grundy's robot son is hopefully on his way home but may have gotten lost.

She has no idea how much it costs to deliver a letter to Ibra Down. Does the post send a lot of supplies to and from there? They probably do. So maybe delivering a letter on the way isn't a big deal for them. In any case, she'll just pay whatever they ask.

Once that's done, Natalie moves on to the next thing on her small shopping list and tries to describe the weapon she needs to the shopkeeper. Eventually, someone with a stronger vocabulary probably rolls their eyes and explains that she's looking for a sap. A blackjack. A stun baton. A vagabond's bonce-bopper.

She also buys a hunk of bread and cheese. For lunch.

"Mm! We could get a dog," Natalie asks through a mouthful of breadcrumbs. She still has cute pets on the brain from earlier. "Then we could track him from anyshing that shmells like..."

She can't quite finish her sentence because some cheese glued her mouth shut. She chugs some water and moves on to her next thought. "*glp* but what do you think Lydia? Y'all know him better than any of us, probly better than anyone. Where do you think he'd go if he had to hide out?"

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Titan in the Playground

Argi'er, noticing the eye roll of the hunter, burns a bit inside at the insinuation.
    <Just let it go.> he thinks to himself.
    As the group moves out, he sullenly walks along, listening, trying to gauge the temper of each of them. <The group is like a watch... each one of us a cog or gear that makes the whole work.> was he continues to convince himself to stay with the group. Though Natalie and Lydia both seem nice enough, though a bit naive, these others were a bit... gruff. They could probably use someone to help smooth the way. Someone who could be between being taken advantage of and just going straight to the sword.
    Pulling himself out of his revelry, he realizes that he is lagging behind and had lost the thread of the conversation. "Yeah, food sounds good."
    Sitting at the restaurant, he orders a meat pie and waits patiently. He tries not to wince as Lydia practically throws money at the staff for information.
    As the others talk, he catches the eye of one of the staff, a pretty young woman. He motions her over and asks "Hey, I'm new in town but I just saw the devastation these wizards are doing. Is it safe to be here?
    If I were going to keep moving on, which ways should I or shouldn't I go to keep safe?"
    he says with a broad smile.