New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 3.5: A Madness in Hepmonaland (IC)

Lydia watches Argi'er disable the trap giving it a minute before trying to get moving again. "Yeah we should carry on." Lydia nods."I second the vote to be more careful from here on out."
    Cl:{D
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

Lydia Deshayes, Socially Awkward Necromancer with a Broken Heart
    Wanderlust, a free spirited, hammer weilding barbarian.

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Ettin in the Playground

"Yeah. Hey, Argier? Y'all kinda know what to look for with these, right? Could y'all go in front for a while?"

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Titan in the Playground

"Well... I'm a watchmaker by trade, like my da and his before him. I'm used to looking for small discrepancies or problems in things. There have been a couple of times that a customer brougth something in that was in a locked box that we had to... ah... help liberate it from and we have seen some of these traps. Luckily, customers were on the up and up, so they knew about the trap and what it did, so it was easier to find, but still had to figure out a way of bypassing it. So, yeah, I've seen things like this before but I'm not an expert on it by any stretch of the imagination." Argi'er says as he beams a bit.

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

With Argi'er now in the lead, your group heads left, down the stairs to a haunting sight.

Two corpses, the decaying forms of what is most likely former adventurers, are slumped on the ground. Their gear hasn't been looted, but a much of the flesh has been eaten away. A scarab skitters out of the gaping eye socket of the skull on the western wall, twitching its stumpy antennae and inspecting the unexpected light source.

Another stairwell leads downward and forward.

PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, a haplessly fallen individual is fair warning to us, eh? Should we see if they have anything they no longer need but may be of help to us?" he says to the others.
    Once he gets affirmation, he checks the body to make sure there any other critters that could be inconvenient or dangerous before inspecting the bodies.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot
    roll]1d20-1[/roll]

Search
    roll]1d20+4[/roll]

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zeke had planned on waiting with the ropes to make sure there was an escape route. It was a good plan, with just one tiny flaw. Which he realised when he went to light his lantern.

The others were slightly too far away to hear his swearing.

Which meant he now had to try and not only catch up to them, but climb down two ropes that he couldn't see, or be sat in the pitch black with gods knew what for gods knew how long. Well, might as well go for the quicker path to his inevitable painful death, no sense drawing it out.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

(1d20-5)[-3] to climb, and oh god I'm screwed.

Edit: Yes. Yes I was indeed horribly screwed.
    Last edited by kjelfalconer; 2018-06-04 at 11:22 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Zeke slips off the rope almost instantly, slams hard into the slanted ground and tumbles down the natural slide, skidding to a halt at the end of the first chamber as a bruised and bloodied lump.

Zeke, you take 10 damage.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Titan in the Playground

Argi'er looks down in growing horror as he sees the insects scuttling about.
    He gingerly begins to move back to the others as he turns and brings his index finger to his lips in a shushing action.

Spoiler
    Show

Waiting on next action to see how he does

Move Silently
    (1d20+7)[24]

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Titan in the Playground

Quietly, Argi'er moves the rest of the group back. "Those creatures... scarabs, looked to have eaten those fellows. Fairly fresh. I can imagine they'd do the same to us, unless we have a way to deal with them. Any ideas?" he says nervously in a low voice while keeping an eye on the vicious little bugs.

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Ettin in the Playground

"The scarabs killed him?" Natalie echoes back to Argi'er. "Shoot, I don't think we have a good way to deal with it if they start swarming... we had to use holy water last time."

It's about at this point that she hears Zeke tumbling down the chute behind them.

"UWAH! What's that? Who's there?" She turns back around and helps the bruised nerd to his feet. "Are y'all okay? Is someone chasing you?"

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Barbarian in the Playground

He lay there for a while, wallowing in self pity and the fact that he'd probably broken at least one rib.
    "I realised my mistake in staying to watch the ropes when I went to light my lantern. The lantern you're currently holding. I'd suggest not recommend trying to climb a rope in the dark. Please, bring your own light sources."

He finally took the chance to look around the area, seeing the scarabs.
    "...Unless they're conjured, there's nothing I can do against them. Anything I try will be just as likely to send them into a berserk frenzy than clear them."

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Titan in the Playground

Argi're ponders for a few moments as he thinks on a plan. "Well, the bodies might have some clues or equipment we might find useful. How about this.
    Everyone move back. I'll try to sneak past them and, if I can, I'll try to see what lies beyond. If not... well, I can run pretty quick. What do you think?"

Spoiler
    Show

If no one disagrees, he sneaks past the scarabs
    Hide
    (1d20+7)[25]
    MS
    (1d20+7)[18]

13. - Top - End - #1363

"I suppose that's a decent enough plan. Take this though" Lydia hands him her glowing dagger, "most things rather would avoid the light anyways."
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Titan in the Playground

"Go ahead and hang on to it, I've got pretty good night vision. Besides, I might need it if I come running back in a hurry." he says with a childish grin as he moves off.

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh, okay. Be careful!"

Natalie looks down at the corpse-eating insects and their unfortunate meal. "...I don't get it. Scarabs are nasty, but... they're still just bugs, right? They don't just kill you like that, y'all'd have to, like, sit in them for a minute."

She is this close to making a connection regarding what kind of danger we might be in.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2018-06-14 at 10:50 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Ogre in the Playground

Gabriel slips from Ahna's back, clucking at the leopard and gesturing after Argi'er to send the silent stalker as backup for their scout.

The scarabs catch zir attention, and Gabriel turns and steps closer, crooning softly in an attempt to sooth the scarabs and allow the bodies to be examined.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Wild Empathy! (1d20+6)[20] (Who uses this ability, anyways?)

Stealth for Ahna:
    (1d20+8)[14] Hide
    (1d20+8)[22] Move Silently

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Argi'er slips past the corpse and stalks silently down the tunnel, towards the edge of the range of Natalie's light source.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Titan in the Playground

Silent like death itself, Argi'er moves past the bodies and through the tunnel, into the adjoining chamber. He sees a large pool stretches to the limits of what he can see as he scouts just a couple of hairs before realizing the danger he might be putting himself, and the others by extension, into. Stealthily moving back to the others, he skirts the carnivorous beetles as he slides back into view.
    "Well, there's a chamber down that tunnel." he says quietly as he points. "There is some kinds of river or waterfall beyond. Might be more beyond or might not be. I say we check it out, if we can keep away from them bugs. What say you all?"

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Ettin in the Playground

"An underground river? Cool! Let me see!"

Since there's apparently no additional danger between her and the landmark, Natalie scoots quietly past the buggy obstacle to bring the light over Argi'er's way.

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Ogre in the Playground

Ahna paces a few steps to the side of their scout, with Gabriel coming along with the balance of the group. In the dim of the underground, ze ponders the difference in nature between what exists above in the light and down here in the darkness.

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Titan in the Playground

Argi'er looks blankly at the cavern wall for a moment as Natalie walks off. Blinking twice in quick succession, his eyes follow her before his head turns, obvious in disbelief at her actions. Mouth open, he turns back to Ahna and mumbles something incoherent.
    Shaking his head, he says just above a whisper "I think we should follow, if for nothing else to keep her out of trouble." as he disappears into the darkness after her.

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

With Natalie and Ahna taking the lead, they enter the whirlpool chamber, glistening with dripping droplets of mineral water, and sparkling with what appear to be beautiful precious stones. Blanched white spiders and salamanders crawl amongst the fungus and moss, and buzzing, flying insects fill the sticky, moist chamber.

To your left, you see a bridge that has collapsed into the whirlpool.

PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Ettin in the Playground

"Whoooah."

Natalie stares into the abyss and at the translucent cave lizardies. The light from her lantern glints off of the rushing water over the gems. Just seeing this was totally worth climbing down here.

"Looks like the bridge is out... I hope no one's stuck on the other side." She squints at the crumbled remains of a natural bridge. "I might be able to jump it, but the stone looks kinda slippery. Maybe we can come back with some boards or something?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2018-06-19 at 10:02 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1374

Still a bit worse for the wear from the trap Lydia lags behind a bit entering the new chamber. But when she enters she's thrilled, there are bound to be many useful things in here. She studies the things on the walls, moving and not to see if she could recognize any of them.
    Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge time
    Firstly arcana (d20+13)[31]
    Additionally craft alchemy check to see if anything could be used alchmically. (d20+11)[28]

[
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Titan in the Playground

Looking past the broken bridge, Argi'er looks back at the others. "I have a means of getting myself across but I can't take anyone with me. Does anyone else or are you going to jump?
    Or, if you have a rope, I can tie it off once on the other side. This is assuming everyone wants to keep exploring what is beyond."

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Ettin in the Playground

"Yeah okay! How much lantern do we have left?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2018-06-23 at 11:02 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

A rough estimate suggests, even with the oil spill, you've still got a good 4 hours left of burn, provided it doesn't get doused by the water.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Ettin in the Playground

"Cool. So, we can go grab one of the ropes, and tie it to whoever's jumping in case they fall in?"

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, I don't have to worry about that, I hope." he futzes around a bit as he takes the rope and makes a spectacle of wrapping around his waist.
    "Alright, here we go." he says as he cautiously moves to the end of the broken bridge, cognizant of the dampness of the area. Taking a leap, he activates his magic anklet, to appear on the otherside mid jump. He looks around to make sure everything is safe and to find a place to tie off the rope. Once secured, he tests the strength to make sure it will hold before moving back to the bridge. "Ok, ready to go." as he pulls out is sword and makes sure the landing is clear for the others.

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'll go get the rope! Uh..." Natalie is about to run off when she realizes she's about to leave everyone else in the dark. "...I'll trade you for the glowy dagger?"

Once she has the alternate light source, she cautiously scoots past the corpses ("Hi bugs, bye bugs") climbs up, detaches the rope on the left, pets Panda, climbs back down and cautiously makes her way back with the coil of goopy rope.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2018-06-25 at 08:34 PM.