New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 3.5: A Madness in Hepmonaland (IC)

Aria picks up her morningstar, reattaching it to her hip. She notices that her crossbow is unloaded; she makes a mental note to fix that in the future. Coming down off of the stage, she takes the coin purses off of the elf and the halfling. "We can share this out somewhere a little less public. But first, Stanley, I insist you take something. If not for damage, than for good will. You run a nice place, and I'd like to be able to come back. And if you can make sure people hear the truth of what happened, it would also be appreciated."

She takes a handful of gold out of one of the purses and sets it down on the stage. "If you want, you didn't get that from us. Just found it in your establishment while cleaning up. Thank you again for being accommodating." She looks to the others. "Should we leave before the guards get here, or stay to make sure our side of things is properly heard?"

Spoiler
    Show
    6 gold, to be precise. That's 600 copper cups, but not so much money that Stanley will draw any undue attention from the people behind the bounty.

Knowledge (Local) to know how the guards might react to this situation: (1d20+9)[22]
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lydia take Isamu's things and lets out a frustrated sigh. She wouldn't have imagined feeling bad for anyone in that loud lot but he looked so pitiful now. And having lost a loved one herself made her heart feel weak. "Don't take loved ones into a fight" She said quietly. "One day they won't make it out of it." Painful memories swell up in her chest as she thinks about what it is to loose someone. She pulls out ten gold and hands it to Isamu. "That will cover it if she needs healing, but don't come after us again and certainly don't put her in harms way. Now tell me quickly what made you spring a trap for us and then we shall be on our way."
    Cl:{D
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

Lydia Deshayes, Socially Awkward Necromancer with a Broken Heart
    Wanderlust, a free spirited, hammer weilding barbarian.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Stanley nods to Vlad. He makes no motion to dissuade Aria from leaving the bag of gold. It’s a hard offer for a businessman to refuse, after all.

Isamu takes the gold graciously and bows to Lydia. “It was Rilla… Branda. She said if we just did our parts, we would be wealthier in one day then we ever would be in our lifetime.” He takes a shuddered breath. “We were supposed to be capturing criminals… murderers.”
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

"Wait, so now we're robbing them?"

Natalie is taken aback by Lydia's demands at first, but accepts hers and Aria's explanation regarding confiscating the money and giving some of it over to fix the bar. "Oh! Okay, I guess that that makes sense."

She also seems pleased with how Lydia handled the healing situation. If the wizard hadn't given her assurance that it would be enough, Natalie would probably have chipped in her own money for the cause. She might still. It depends.

"Well, that figures." Natalie looks down at the incapacitated instigator as Isamu tattles on her, and nudges the little jerk with her foot. "So, wait, it was a trap? What, was there another stupid bounty or something? I don't get it."

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kyara slips out the door as soon as the last patron left building, knowing she has made herself a target once more for using her skills to aid in battle. A feeling of sadness overcomes her for not telling the others she left thinking 'This is for the best.'

Kyara slips into a dark alley and looks around to see if she is alone while taking a moment to gather her thoughts.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move silently (1d20)[2]
    Hide(1d20)[11]
    Spot (1d20+1)[2]

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Aria thinks for a moment on what she knows about the town guard in this area. She then looks around at the scene. "Alright, I think this situation will be a lot easier for the guards if it's a little less crowded in here. We'll get out of Stanley's way and let him take care of his place without the chance for any more ruckus. Natalie, I promise that we can explain everything as soon as we're safe. Lydia, if you could stick to Siegfried like glue until we get back it would be wonderful for my peace of mind."

Aria wasn't sure at what point she had started taking charge, but it somehow felt less terrifying than not addressing the situation. "And for me..." she frowns, concentrates, and her sigils go dark once more, leaving the tavern that much dimmer and more drab. "Alright. Let's get going and see if we can all make it back to Grundy's place in one piece. We need to talk."

LGBTitP

7. - Top - End - #157

"She was either lying or very mistaken." Lydia replies to Isamu, but she does glance at her comrades wondering if the statement was entirely certain. She didn't know where everyone had come from.

Lydia turns away from Isamu and goes to pick up her dagger and her new crossbow when Aria says that she should stick to Siegfried. It was a bit surprising to hear so she glanced from the glowing woman to singed knight. I guess he might need a hand. Though it seems like I am an odd choice to ask for that.
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

Trusting Aria's judgement, Natalie follows her out the door and goes to untie Horsie.

"Do any of y'all wanna ride? Siegfried? That burn's gotta sting, and that armor looks really heavy..."
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2014-07-18 at 10:16 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159

Lydia exits the bar with the others and she asks "Should we go to Grudy's place? Seems like we might bring trouble to his door that way." She holds up a hand to politely indicate to Natalie that she would be more then willing to skip a ride. Lydia wasn't exactly an equestrian.
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

After going outside, far away from Isamu so he cannot overhear them Vlad says:
    "We could go to my place... but it is just a larger tent in the Respite..." he shrugs then. He liked where he lived, but not everyone understood the sentiment.
    Last edited by Lexin; 2014-07-19 at 06:47 AM.

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

“Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

11. - Top - End - #161

"I've got a cabin also. Its possibly more private, but its in the bad part of town so… ya know that part isn't great." Lydia added. Jeeze you know these people a week and you are already fighting with them and inviting them over. Look who has gotten waaay more sociable. She thinks to herself while some popping goes off.
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Just as Natalie is at the threshold of the bar, you hear a few patrons from outside of the bar shout, “"That's one of them! That one right there!"

Then the crowd breaks into a panicked run. You hear the screech of a signal whistle…
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

"Huh?? One of what? I didn't do anything! Well, I mean, I did, but..."

Everyone just flees. "Goddess bless it... We get stabbed and shot at, and y'all are the ones who go running..." Natalie huffs and turns to calm down her steed and sling her saddlebags back into place.

The sound of a signal whistle and a random arcane pop pierce the murmur of the mass exodus. Horsie flinches. "Oh! No, shoosh, shooshooshoosh, it's okay. It's okay. Good girl. Ready?"

As the team probably doesn't really have time to wait for her to secure the military saddle properly, Natalie just sort of leaves it in the saddlebags, themselves hung utterly precariously as she swings up onto Horsie's back. She won't be able to stop herself from telling the truth to the cops, at least to the extent that she can remember and articulate it, but until they actually start asking she'll just follow Aria's lead.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2014-07-20 at 01:30 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by inexorabletruth View Post
    Vlad smothers Siegfried with his jacket just as Kyara rushes up to him, emptying a half-empty barrel of house ale onto him. Ale pours down his chain mail and splashes onto the floor, washing over Belvar and Branda enough to cause the flames to subside.
    Sputtering at the sudden onslaught of ale, Siegfried shakes himself off. "I'm put out, I'm put out! Stop with th' monsoon!" He looks around, reeking of ale. "Won th' day, eh? Grand stuff, har!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lexin View Post
    "...I am really sorry..." says Vlad for a dozenth time after finally putting out the flames covering Siegfried.
    Siegfried waves the diminutive fire-breather away. "Bah, don't worry about me, lad. Made o' sterner stuff than that, I tell ya."

Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    When she is finished addressing the tavern she looks to Siegfried. "I have a healing scroll for emergencies. How injured are you? Was anyone else hurt when I wasn't looking?"
    Siegfried hops back and forth on his feet to show his remaining vigor. "Not to worry, barely even noticed it! I'm right as rain, fit as a fidd-" He flinches in pain as a burn wound rubs against armor. Looking up with a mildly bashful expression on his face, he says "Er, I'm fine, thankee."

Quote Originally Posted by Mavame View Post
    When she stands next to Siegfried again she glances at Isamu, "What are we going to do with him now?"
    "Er..." Suddenly realizing he hadn't thought that far ahead, Siegfried isn't very sure where to go from here, looking to Aria who appears to be taking charge of the situation.

Isamu looks completely defeated as he faces Lydia. “But… I’ll need some gold to find a healer for Gwen. She only did this because I-“ his eyes are welling up with tears as he gazes upon the moment where all his dreams are shattered. Realizing the hopelessness of his situation, he begins to strip himself of his belongings.
    "Och, what's th' matter, laddie? You realize this was a bad idea?" Siegfried strides over to the defeated man, pointing to where Gwen lies unconscious with his sword. "D'ye know why we're tryin' so 'ard to keep that traitorous wench alive? For me, it's th' thought o' seein' me own mum like that, or my da. It's th' knowledge that us bein' better than that is all that keeps everythin' from bein' worse." Siegfried wipes the blood off his sword before sheathing it. "Next time y'think on pullin' your blade on someone like y'did today, ask yourself how ye'd feel if someone did th'same t' her. Then ye'll know if it's worth it." Finished with the beaten man, he turns back to matters at hand.

"Should we leave before the guards get here, or stay to make sure our side of things is properly heard?"
    "Er, I might be more agreeable for th' notion of not occupyin' th' same area as th' guards when they get hereabouts..." Siegfried says nervously.

"Lydia, if you could stick to Siegfried like glue until we get back it would be wonderful for my peace of mind."
    Siegfried turns to the runty girl who somehow handled the fight so well. "Me sword arm seems t'be taken a mind of its own t'night, but me shield is strong. I could take ye somewhere safely, lass, I swear it. Er, 'less there be guards. Dunno if I could get ye past a gaggle o' guards safely."

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    "Do any of y'all wanna ride? Siegfried? That burn's gotta sting, and that armor looks really heavy..."
    "Ach, a mighty kindness y'offer me, but I'll be fine on me own legs. Th' burns burn little, and th' armor I'm fair used to."

Quote Originally Posted by missmvicious View Post
    Lydia exits the bar with the others and she asks "Should we go to Grudy's place? Seems like we might bring trouble to his door that way."
    "Lass makes a good point. Might be tis smarter t'just retreat to our own domiciles and reconvene at Grundy's in th'morn, like we're doin' naught but workin' the forge s'more."

Just as Natalie is at the threshold of the bar, you hear a few patrons from outside of the bar shout, “"That's one of them! That one right there!"

Then the crowd breaks into a panicked run. You hear the screech of a signal whistle…
    Siegfried's face drops as he hears the whistle. "Och, by th' gods, this is not a good place t'be right now."
    Sir Siegfried Andere, Final Line of the Tharquish Empire, Knight-Errant

I post in this color which is Navy. Why did the chicken cross the road? Answer: chickens have no concept of roads. Discuss.

Hail to the king, baby.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Aria closes her eyes and takes a single moment to think. It was a little more difficult than usual without her sigils lit, but her mind functioned perfectly well without them. She opens her eyes, decisions made and ready to act. "Natalie, you're in the least danger and have a family to watch your back. You should ride off and go home, and don't stop for any reason. Siegfried, Lydia and I are both targets for these bounty hunters, and there will be more where that came from. If we go back to the forge, Grundyman will be there, and we can have a real discussion about what to do next. Vlad, you should be safe in the Respite, but you spat fire tonight; someone may misinterpret that. In then end, you'll all do what you want; but let us do it right now, and with haste."

She looks to the others and nods, looking more confident than she feels, and then she steps outside and begins swiftly walking towards Grundy's shop, keeping her sigils dark and her head down.

LGBTitP

16. - Top - End - #166

When the signal whistle goes off and the guards spot their group Lydia doesn't wait around to discuss things any further. She had no intention of getting killed over a bar fight. "Let's go." Lydia says urgently tapping Siegfried's shoulder. She doesn't wait for a respond before taking off. The last word was heading to Grundy's. I don't love the plan but I guess it will do.
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

"Okay, Sieg..."

Natalie hesitates to act on Aria's plan. "But, if I'm in the least danger, shouldn't y'all be the ones to... uh..."

Unable to fully develop a plan on the spot, Natalie acquiesces to a quick, 'just freaking do it,' look.

"Okay... just, stay safe, okay? I'll be there in the morning, so maybe I can help more then..."

She swings up onto Horsie with a practiced leap and grabs the reins with one hand as the horse turns to take off. "Hiya!"

*CLOP* *CLOP-CLOP* *CLOP-CLOP* *CLOP-CLOP* *CLOP-CLOP*
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2014-07-20 at 10:55 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Vlad looks surprised at Aria's words "I am all in favor of a group meeting to discuss what happened. I just felt bad about bringing trouble to Mr. Grundy's house..." he says "... but if you think it is a good idea..." he adds and simply follows the group.

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

“Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

As you charge out the door, you notice Kyara dashing off in the opposite direction, disappearing into an alleyway.

The chaos outside is insane. Former patrons of The Ale House scramble to escape the path of the guards as they charge towards the door. In all the confusion, they can’t tell you apart from the rest of the patrons and therefore you manage to escape their grasp. Traveling together and watching each other’s back, you manage to make it to Grundy’s Forge in relative peace. But what you see when you get there is a bit strange.

There is an unusually large, foul-smelling puddle of dark ichor near the entrance to the forge. When you come up to the door, it is locked and barred. There is a fire going on in the forge.

Natalie gallops up to your group.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Aria watches the puddle cautious, wracking her brain to try to discern what could have been its source. Few things that spew ichor are friendly and safe, however, so she is slightly relieved when Natalie rides up. Aria scans the area, looking for any sign of a fight or struggle. "I think we need to go inside. This puddle is not normal, not natural. I'm worried something happened here while we were gone."

Spoiler
    Show
    To clarify; is the forge lit, or is the fire uncontrolled?

Knowledge 1: (1d20+9)[10]
    Knowledge 2: (1d20+9)[27]

Religion, Nature, The Planes, Arcana, and Dungeoneering all have the same bonus. One of them has to apply.
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2014-07-22 at 12:14 PM.

LGBTitP

21. - Top - End - #171
    Firbolg in the Playground

Grundyman, who has been watching the street from the window, sees the familiar faces approach. It calls upstairs to wake Haftan Grundy, and perhaps Master Grundy, if only by accident. It unbarricades the door and opens it for them. "Come in quickly, and lock the door behind you. Barricade it too, please." It leaves the barricade materials conveniently located so that one of the stronger characters can comply. Standing in front of the forge (and obscuring the sight of what lies within), Grundyman begins to speak. "When I returned to the forge I found Master Grundy under attack. After defeating his assailants I determined they were members of the Stiletto gang. Stiletto has long been trying to capture me--or at least, learn the secrets of my creation--for purposes I can only assume to be nefarious. I am afraid to leave the forge again at risk to Master Grundy, but the threat Stiletto poses is too great to ignore. They must be convinced to cease their assaults on Grundy. I do not know how to accomplish this goal." It pauses. "Also, while I watched the streets since my return, I saw a strange creature attacking passers-by. Naturally, I did not nothing to prevent it from harming the non-Grundies, given the risk to Grundy. When the guard intervened, they decapitated the creature--who at first looked like any other humanoid. The severed head and headless body continued to attack until they were finally subdued. I do not know what to make of this. Haftan Grundy knows all this."

"I tell you all this in the hopes that you will help me deal with Stiletto. Also, as I know you are interested in the current curse or disease afflicting magic users, and I wonder if the fiendish creature that assaulted random citizenry may be a manifestation of that disease, I tell you so that you may know and investigate." It pulls out the sap it has created over the course of the night. "I have created this weapon so that I might dispatch threats to Grundy without destroying them. I can create similar for you, free of charge, if you will agree to help me with Stiletto."

Then, as if realizing something, it stops suddenly. "Please forgive my poor manners. You must be tired. If you wish, we can resume this conversation in the morning. Also, how was your night?"
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Haftan walks down the stairs, pulling his shirt down and rubbing his eyes. Seeing the crowd gathered in the forge, he blinks a few times before saying, "Do you people ever sleep?"
    Going out of town, of you don't hear from me by 11/20 send me a poke

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

"Hey, y'all made it okay! I was worried! ...what's that black stuff?"

Natalie hops down and joins everyone in the doorway as the mechanical man grants them entry and exposition.

"Oh! I heard about that from the guards! It was one of those dead people come back to life, right? They've been popping up and attacking people all over! Y'all saw it and didn't do anything?!"

It should be noted that Natalie is still standing at the threshold.

"I, uh, still need to put Horsie away..."
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2014-07-22 at 09:35 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Aria takes a moment to absorb the information Solomon drops on the group, glancing around the room. She quickly skirts around the room to look at what is inside the forge, and what she sees inside confirms her suspicians. She sighs, slightly. This day had begun so normally. She had dressed and eaten and bathed like any other day. She had planned on retiring to the library, where she would continue her research and work on gaining more influence with the Paragnostic Assembly.

But at the same time, she had learned more today than she had for the month before it. She had knocked a woman out with her morningstar, potentially lethally. So instead of balking at the idea of getting the criminal organization to leave Grundy alone, instead she decides to think about it. "One second," she says aloud. Her sigils flare back to life. "Let me put on my thinking cap." She then speaks a strange word, one with pronunciation that makes even the spellcaster in the room wince.

After speaking it, there is no sign of magic; but Aria's eyes become a bit brighter, sharper, and more alert. She stares into space, thinking, but when her eyes drift across Haftan they narrow further. She's suspicious about something, though the 'what' is not clear.

Spoiler
    Show
    Truespeak, DC 19: (1d20+16)[21]
    And if on the off chance that fails, (1d20+16)[34]

Then,

Knowledge (Arcana) about the strange creature: (1d20+14)[28]

Knowledge (Local) about Stiletto, and how we might convince them to leave Grundy alone: (1d20+16)[21]

Knowledge (Local) on Haftan and the bard from the tavern: (1d20+16)[34]

She is vaguely suspicious because of the identical clothing; Aarco-as-bard specifically caught her eye in the tavern. She doesn't specifically think "changeling," of course, but she's too damn smart and inquisitive to let something like that just slide aside.

LGBTitP

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

A moment later Aria takes a deep breath, and her eyes refocus on her companions. The look of suspicion she had for Haftan is gone; she gives the lad a smile before she begins speaking. "There are a tremendous number of things that creature could have been. But it was almost certainly undead. If it was decapitated but continued to fight, that narrows things slightly; but not much. It could even have been a construct, just made out of..." She looks to Lydia, uncertain, before pressing on. "It could have been a lot of things; I would need to see one close up to know more, and I don't especially hope for that. My knowledge of necromancy is purely theoretical, so take that with a grain of salt."

She frowns and continues. "Concerning Stiletto... we may need to consider paying them their damned protection money. Solomon is not unique, so to speak; he is a type of construct known as a living construct, meaning that he has a true soul, emotions, that he can grow and learn and be raised from the dead. Stiletto has probably not been hired to abduct Solomon, but they almost certainly have an interest in him. I know that you all know that they are thugs and robbers, but they are something more than that; more sophisticated and powerful than they like people to know. I'm not sure the law can protect Grundy and Solomon. But we might be able to."

She shakes her head and folds her arms over her chest, upset. "Look how I'm talking. I'm a bookworm. If I live long enough to get some grey hairs, I'll call myself a scholar. And I just said that I would help fight off bandits and thieves while holding off money-hungry adventurers coming for the heads of anyone who even seems arcane. And on top of that, no one in the city has been able to make any headway into this plague. Oh, and the random unknown undead. Can't forget those." She takes deep breaths, trying and failing to calm herself.

After a moment, she continues, her voice quiet and afraid. "And tonight I almost killed a woman."

LGBTitP

26. - Top - End - #176
    Firbolg in the Playground

Solomon raises an eyebrow. "Soul? What is that?" While it waits for an answer, the (literal) wheels are turning inside its head. She almost killed a woman. I did kill a man. A beggar, a thief he may have been, but if she is so distraught over almost... "I can make you a sap," it says, drawing its own. "Or help you make your own. Master Grundy agrees that law is not an option. And... what black stuff?" It says, turning to face Lydia while it waits for Aria's response, and the responses from anyone else who cares to join the conversation.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Haftan sees the look on Aria's face, but also notes how quickly it passes. "We have a hitching post outside the door to the right. My Uncle said that you could keep him there whenever you need." He says smiling at Natalie. "I know next to nothing about undead or magic, so ill take your word on whatever it could have been. All I know is we are keeping that door barricaded."

He comes down from the steps and sits down in a chair near the forge, relishing the heat, but not looking into it. He already had a pretty good idea of what lay in it. Sitting in his seat, he leans back listening to what she has to say about Stiletto. "I don't want to pay those bastards anything. I dont care how powerful they think they are. This is my home. This is my families livelihood, and Grundyman is part of the family. If they EVER show they're sorry hides again while I'm here, I will give them a reason to fear coming back." Haftan says with all the bravado of a young man overconfident in his abilities.

Aria's last statement catches Haftan off guard. ".... What happened? You don't seem like the fighting type. Like you said, you strike me as a bookworm. What in the 9th Layer have you lot been up to?"

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

In response to Solomon, Aria shrugs. "The soul is poorly understood, but it is in reductionist views the mental and magical essence of a sentient being, distilled into a single entity. You can think of a soul like a ghost, and your body as a sort of house for that spirit. Except that isn't a very good metaphor at all; souls are hard to explain. But if you didn't have a soul, you couldn't be returned to life with something like a Raise Dead spell, and your type of person can."

Then Haftan speaks his piece, and Aria takes another moment to watch the young man, curious in a way he had never seen from her. Haftan might mistake it as simple interest, but Aarco knows that she suspects something. "We could ask you the same thing, Haftan; the reason Solomon returned to the smithy was your sudden disappearance. But that is neither here nor there; we went to the tavern and had begun a nice evening when an adventuring group burst in; a human, an elf, a dwarf, and a halfling. Classic, right? They were high on gold and victory, were loud and rude, but it's a tavern; we didn't go there for silence."

She frowns, and her tone darkens. "But then I asked the halfling, the loudest of the lot, what they had done to earn their gold. What their adventure was. She said that they had filled a bounty on an arcane caster. He was an alchemist, just a brewer who may not have had any magic at all. He certainly hadn't been touched by the plague. But they broke into his home and killed him as he relaxed in his bathtub. These were her words, her own admission!" She has gone from upset to angry, and the indignation has burned away the gloom from her mood.

"And then they threatened us. They shot at me with a crossbow, and a fight broke out. There was... some magic involved. Bardic song magic, of a particularly dangerous variety. Our weapons hit a lot harder than they usually do, and I hit the dwarf and the elf with... with my morningstar. Hard. With intent to harm." She clenches her fist, though she does not seem to notice. "Vlad... breathed fire, too. I suppose that's important to note. But we beat them with little injury on our side of the fight, and left before the authorities arrived. We have their gold now, actually; we came back here to decide what to do with it."

She looks Haftan square in the eye, her own expression inscrutable. "Did you have any adventures while we were away? They seem to be contagious."

LGBTitP

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

"I went to go see somebody after work. After I was done with that, I came here and found out that my family had been attacked." Haftan says nonchalantly. He had picked up on her suspicious tone, and was none too happy about it but he wasn't going to let anyone see that. "I'm really sorry for what happened to you, can I get you guys anything?"

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

The soul conversation loses Natalie sometime around the word, 'reductionist,' as her wrinkled forehead and sad whimper give away.

"Aww, don't make it so complicated, Aria... Solomon, a soul is the part of y'all that's left when your body's taken away. So, when you die, your soul can go to heaven even though your body's being buried or eaten or whatever. See?"

She nods to Haftan, smiling. "Okay! Come on, Horsie."

Natalie goes around to safely secure and feed the animal.