New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: D&D 3.5: A Madness in Hepmonaland (IC)

All the dialogue was a little too much for Siegfried. His adrenaline high from the fight settling, he sits on the floor with his back to the wall and listens to Aria talk to the group. He pulls out a personal flask filled with ale and takes a swig before retrieving his whetstone from his backpack to clean and sharpen his sword, taking the odd gulp of ale as he does so.

After listening to the group ramble for a short while Siegfried speaks up. "Och, I'm hearin' this, that, and th' other. What're we talkin' about here, lassie? I've heard mention of Stiletto, the plague, undead monsters, necromancy," (he visibly grimaces on saying the word) "th' nature o' th' bloody soul, for Pelor's sake... is this ramblin' diatribe what we were summoned back 'ere for? I dinnae mean t'be untowards, I'm just wonderin' if we could cut th' foreplay and get t'the f-... er, point."
    Sir Siegfried Andere, Final Line of the Tharquish Empire, Knight-Errant

I post in this color which is Navy. Why did the chicken cross the road? Answer: chickens have no concept of roads. Discuss.

Hail to the king, baby.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Aria shakes her head, smiling faintly. "I've gotten so caught up in everything that I had forgotten the point. Apologies." She walks over to a table and sets out the two pouches of gold she had taken from the would-be mercenaries. "This is a healthy sum, and there were two more pouches that we picked up with them. Not a tremendous amount, of course; a fine blade or bow would cost more than this. But, well, it raises a question for me."

She looks to the four with her, each of them exceptional in their own way; except for Haftan, of course, who was rather ordinary. "While I don't agree with the kind of adventuring that sends you into a citizen's home to murder them, the point stands that they made more money in a night than most of us will make in half a year, or more. And we trounced them, when it came to blows, despite the fact that they were prepared and we were not. I'm not a fighter, or a warrior; my mother showed me how to swing a morningstar and that's about it. But what I do have is information, knowledge. We all have something, if you think about it. The others here as well; I won't name names, but half of us have magic and the other half are a lot more dangerous than they'd like people to know."

She gestures to the forge, and the grisly sight within. "We have people to protect, people that care about us and care for us. But we have more than that. Duty to our city is part of it; there are a great number of troubles that are becoming more clear to me. Duty to our families; the ones we have lost and the ones that we still have." She nods to Natalie. "The arcane plague has moved beyond ending the lives of arcane casters; it has begun a social unrest that could end with war or anarchy. People have been avoiding the topic of late, but arcane magic is one of the pillars on which this city was built. The brightest minds and most powerful individuals in the city were largely spellcasters, and they are now either dead, crazy and evil, hiding in that tower, or hiding in plain sight and afraid."

She takes a breath. "So I'm proposing we work together, above and beyond our work in the forge. The others as well, everyone we worked with this week. Mostly because it is the right thing to do, but also because there is clearly much to be gained by the brave and bold. By the exceptional. Master Grundy has a good eye for talent, it seems, because I think we are all exceptional, and we have the potential to make things better."
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

I am neither brave nor bold, Grundyman thinks, though I must admit I am exceptional. "I am interested in helping people. I am interested in solving this arcane crisis. But my primary motivations are much simpler and narrower in scope. After what happened tonight, I do not feel comfortable leaving the forge without protection for Master Grundy in place. I am sure he would assuage my guilt, were he awake to do so, but I can not violate my prime directives." Grundyman says, eyeing the gold. "Master Grundy has told me that he once hired bodyguards, before creating me. He could do the same again. But before I investigate the source of the plague affecting spellcasters, my duty requires that I put an end to the threat that Stiletto poses, through peaceful or violent methods. Stiletto is also well-connected, with a network of information. Somewhere at the heart of that network may be the information you seek, Aria. And the heart of that network is what I must change, or remove. Am I making myself understood?"
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

All the clamor downstairs finally stirs Master Grundy from his thunderous snoring. You can hear the floor creak as he rolls out of bed and hustles down the stairs. Still dressed in the clothes he wore evening before and holding a pricket out like it was a weapon, he charges down the stairs to see what is going on.

He freezes when he sees the group. Glancing back and forth from the furnace to the group, he shuffles uneasily on his feet, unsure of what to do. He licks his lips, and tries a few times to form an explanation, but no words come out.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

5. - Top - End - #185

"Master Grundy," Grundyman says, stepping forward toward the blacksmith. "Good morning. We are discussing what to do about the Stiletto. Also, after I left the bar, there was some adventure there. I do not know all the details, but Haftan and I were the only ones not present. The rest came here, and I informed them about our own adventure. I wish to take the fight to Stiletto, as they are surely going to respond with violence to the latest developments, but I hesitate to leave you here unprotected. Would you be willing to hire bodyguards for the time being?"
    Last edited by esorscher; 2014-07-24 at 09:40 AM.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Aria’s eyes flash with the light of an idea. A good idea. She smiles, nodding to the towering construct. “What if the answer isn’t to find the information while fighting off Stiletto. Because we won’t have to fight them off if we’re working with them. We just have to make it clear that we’re better friends than enemies. The dead man in the forge is the first step towards convincing them of that.”

LGBTitP

7. - Top - End - #187

"Stiletto has been trying to get me for years. It would be suspicious if I just showed up to work with them. Of course, if you wanted to work them from the inside, and I from the outside, that might be very effective."

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

Natalie returns from dealing with her horse somewhere during Aria's speech, already munching on a piece of jerky form her stash. She notices how Aria nods specifically to her when she mentions family, and finds it kind of weird until she realizes that she's the only one here besides the Grundies who really has family left and finds herself too lost in thought to keep chewing.

"...sho..."

...well, until she needs to talk again. She swallows what's left of the jerky bit in her mouth.

"...y'all think that the Stilettos know something about the arcane sickness? Like the, um, epidermatology of it? Where it comes from, how it spreads and stuff?"

Natalie wrinkles her forehead again, trying to figure something out. "...how does a dead body in the oven help anything?"

9. - Top - End - #189
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lydia's ears perk up at the discussion of undead walking around, and she's not aware if her reaction is of obvious interest or not. As the group goes on talking she starts to ponder about what the creatures may be. When she hears Aria talk about how there are casters secretly in the group she glares. Stop talking about it she wills, hoping that she can miraculously mind control the illumian. She feels her eye twitch from the effort and concludes she can't control people's mouths with her brain, just yet. She lets out a frustrated sigh and wonders if she should confront the strange woman about making assumptions that can get people killed.

Spoiler: Brain powers go!
    Show

Knowledge arcana to identify the creatures. Also I think I should totes get a bonus since necromancy is my deal. Rolling without it though
    (1d20+9)[13]
    Cl:{D
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

Lydia Deshayes, Socially Awkward Necromancer with a Broken Heart
    Wanderlust, a free spirited, hammer weilding barbarian.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Master Grundy finishes coming down the stairs, unsure of what to make of the group.

“First, I wanna say, it wasn’t his fault.” He says, gesturing at the furnace and at Grundyman. “Just so we’re clear.”

“Second, what in the nine hells’r you all talkin’ about? Ya wanna fight Stiletto, then ya wanna join ‘em?” He shakes his head in confusion.

“Here… lemme clear the air. This guy,” he gestures again at the furnace “is a local, known as The Beggar. He preys on travelers who don’t know no better, beggin’ for their spare change. When they reach for their purses, it tips off where they hide the money so the actual pickpocket can come up from behind and cut your purses off. He’s played that game for years. This time, I caught him trying to get the money ya worked so hard for. I stopped him an’ we got in a fight.” He puts the pricket down and nods his head. “That’s the truth of it. And that’s the problem. The other one got away, an’ knows I was fighting The Beggar when he left. By dawn, this house’ll be marked. One o’ their own was killed. They’ll be comin’ fer revenge.”
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

11. - Top - End - #191

"If they're coming for us, then, it makes our job easier. We know where they will strike, we just need to prepared." Grundyman shifts its weight. "I will stay here, and wave after wave will break upon my hammer."

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Aria shakes her head in disagreement. "Wave after wave of death is not the way to solve anything. Stiletto, for all its alternate bravado and mystique, is at its core a business. Death is unprofitable, yes, and Solomon represents a potential profit. We simply have to show that we are unprofitable as enemies, and profitable as allies. It's mathematics."

LGBTitP

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Haftan looks at Aria making a decision. Had to happen someday. Aarco thinks to himself. "I think that avoiding a fight is the best idea. If we have to then I'm not afraid, but it would be best for us if we found another solution.
    Going out of town, of you don't hear from me by 11/20 send me a poke

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

"...That guy? He attacked you? That seems... harsh..."

Natalie stares pityingly into the forge. She wonders if this could all have gone differently if only she had the goat milk on her before.

"I don't really like the idea of turning this into an... economics... thing. I mean, even if they don't care about him that much, they're still gonna be really mad. It's like, y'all wouldn't want anyone killing your goats, even the crappy ones, because they're still your goats, right?"

She sighs. "...but, I don't really like the idea of just paying them to make up for it, either... and actually working for them... y'all know they'll try and put you up to something terrible dark..."
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2014-07-26 at 01:52 AM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Vlad is quite tired at this point, way too much has happened in just a single day.
    "We should try to talk it out, it is much better than mindless violence."
    "That said, if they ask for something unreasonable we simply wouldn't do it." he shrugs.

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

“Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

"I'm with th' big man," Siegfried grumbles from the floor, gesturing at Soloman with his whetstone. "This Stiletto lot is nothin' but a pack o' cowards'n lowlifes, too scared to pick a fair fight with a butterfly. Hells, even their name speaks t'that; a stiletto knife isn't naught but a toothpick when yer face t'face with yer foe. On top o' that, we'd likely be doin' the area a favor by puttin' all their ill ilk in th' ground. Y'wanna show 'em that fightin' us is 'unprofitable'? Let 'em count the cost o' hirin' a handful o' new cowards when we send back th' first lot with a bunch o' fashion'ble stab wounds." Siegfried takes a swig of his ale and laughs at his own joke with a loud "Har!"
    Last edited by TheEggKing; 2014-07-26 at 09:44 AM.
    Sir Siegfried Andere, Final Line of the Tharquish Empire, Knight-Errant

I post in this color which is Navy. Why did the chicken cross the road? Answer: chickens have no concept of roads. Discuss.

Hail to the king, baby.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Master Grundy walks toward his chair and pours himself a drink, then sits down with a grunt. Near the light of the fire, you can see that his face took a good beating in the tussle. He looks tired and sore. He holds the cup close to his mouth, but doesn’t sip. “Yer bravado’s admirable, Siegfried. But to be frank, I ain’t sure If I’m stayin’ around either. Might just pack up the whole shop an move on. I seen more death in this city, then I ever cared ta’ see. An’ this whole city’s gone mad.”

He starts to take a sip, then grunts instead. “Don’t know… ain’t decided yet.” The cup brushes at his whiskers, then he sets it down. His eyes have a far-off look.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

"But Uncle, where would we go?" Haftan asks sadly. "This is our home. We shouldn't have to go running, just because someone has made a target of us. You have built a life here, and I've started to do the same. I don't want to leave it all behind."

19. - Top - End - #199

Solomon listens to what Master Grundy has said. Its world is this forge, and little beyond it. An ironmonger here, a carpenter there. To consider that his world would change makes its mechanical mind turn, and not in the way it normally does. The metal man visibly diminishes at the prospect, but says, "Where you go, I go, Master Grundy. Where can we go where there is not death, where there is not madness?" Though it means the questions sincerely, they could be taken rhetorically. "I will follow you there, and keep you safe on our journey, if you feel unsafe within these walls."
    Last edited by esorscher; 2014-07-26 at 04:16 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200

Lydia isn't sure how to feel about everything surrounding the Grundys. Grundy had been a decent boss, but she wasn't signing up to throw her life down to protect him, should the time come. It sounded quite a bit like everyone else was up for solving the man's problems. Am I being inconsiderate? she asked herself before deciding that she probably wasn't and that there were more important interesting things going on. She wondered to herself how one could go into researching these undead attackers.
    When people began discussing where Grundy could go to avoid Stiletto she piped up. "You could go to Highwyn. The last good smith there, Charleston, he retired a few years back. Other smiths have set up shop there, but they mostly cater to the farmers."
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Grundy doesn’t look at Haftan, Solomon, or Lydia as they speak, but he considers their words.

“Highwyn… north o’tha Crags, eh? I suppose I could go there, or go see my sister. I got some bridges to rebuild there.” He grabs his cup again and lifts it to his face. “Last time I fought for this place, I lost my own son. I don’t intend to lose someone else’s. Yer mom’s a good woman, Haftan. She deserves ta have a son’at outlives’er.”

He sets his cup down again and reaches for his pipe, tamping some tobacco down and lighting it. “I could probably sell tha’ forge to The Knack. They’d gimme a fair price… enough to retire, if I wanted.”
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Aria stands with her arms crossed, listening to what everyone else has to say for a change. They raise good points, all of them; but something about Grundy's defeatest tone doesn't sit right with her. She shakes her head, gently disagreeing. "I don't think packing up or selling the shop is the right move. I mean, if you're ready to retire there's nothing wrong with that; but you don't seem like you're really ready. But I think there's no need to make a rash decision tonight. Remember, tomorrow we're going to be negotiating a contract with a militia group. If we get the contract, don't you think they're going to be inclined to protect us? They may even take a Stiletto action against this forge as an action against them, since we'll be providing them with arms and armaments."

She looks around the room again, and shrugs. "And what I said before stands. There is an unusually high concentration of talent and skill in this room. We are hardworking, honest, upright people. We shouldn't let anyone intimidate us, especially when we're stronger than them. I have too much to do and too far to go to back down now." Her sigils grow fractionally brighter as she speaks, giving the impression of authority and imperium, if only for a moment. "But as Vlad said, today has been very long, and I think we're all pretty tired. Is there a chance a few of us could stay here tonight, Master Grundy? As much for our own safety as yours. The streets don't feel safe tonight."

Spoiler
    Show
    The bit about the sigils is hinting at her second Illumian power word, which will give her a boost to all Charisma-based skills when she hits level 2.

LGBTitP

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Master Grundy shrugs, still not sure which plan sounds best anyway. "Of course yer welcome to stay. But it's gonna be a bit cramped. I only got the one spare room for Haftan. Solomon tends to stay down by the forge at night, but I suppose he could stay up there with me ta' make more room down here. Haftan can share his room with someone. Haftan, Solomon... let's see if we can gather up some bedding fer our guests. How many'f ya are stayin'?"
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

"Uh..." Natalie looks sadly at Mr. Grundy. She doesn't like the sense that he's trying to run for it like he's trying to get away with something, but she also feels like there's some specific reason that leaving town is a bad idea. She can't quite remember what it was, though. Something Big Brother said, maybe?

But, then Aria brings up the idea of just sleeping on it, and it earns Nat's full support. "Oh, yeah," she yawns, "it is late, and the guard said it's not safe to leave town yet. Could I crash in the stable, maybe?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2014-07-27 at 10:08 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

"Of course Uncle. Whoever winds up in ny room can have the bed." Haftan walks over to a cupboard and begins pulling out spare bedding. As he passes Aria he pauses. "When you get a chance, can we talk?"

26. - Top - End - #206

Lydia shuffles towards the door awkwardly. "I think I'd like to sleep in my own bed tonight, its been a long day after all." She says. Preparing herself to enter the darkness of the night.
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Aria is concerned for Lydia's safety, but she says nothing to stop her from leaving on her own. Lydia was a grown woman fully capable of making her own decisions, no matter how unwise Aria thought they might be.

And as for Haftan, she shared his sentiment. A conversation was in order. "I would be happier on the floor, actually; Illumians tend to sleep on very firm beds. Better for your back, and culturally we tend to shy away from unnecessary comforts." She shrugs, and you are reminded that despite her human appearance she is indeed of a different race.

"If Haftan's willing to put up with me, I'd be grateful for the space. And I suppose this way I can be at work even earlier in the morning." She smiles faintly; she is usually there just after the crack of dawn.

"We just have to get through the night, and things will be better in the morning. We'll have the whole group together to discuss what to do next, and we main gain some military support while we're at it." She seems optimistic, and much more relaxed now that she doesn't have to walk home alone in the dark.

"Would you like to go talk now, Haftan? Lead the way." Her tone is innocent of understanding; she acts as if she has no idea what Haftan wants to talk about. Partially, of course, because she really isn't certain what he may want to know.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming that Haftan is outwardly young enough that her staying in his room wouldn't be seen as untoward. Also, not sure how that is viewed culturally, particularly given the complex situation. If her being in his room would come across as odd or impolite, she'll offer to sleep near the forge.

LGBTitP

28. - Top - End - #208

Grundyman clears space on the floor for those wishing to stay at the forge, and finds what it can to serve as bedding. When everyone is settled, it goes with Master Grundy into the smith's bedroom, so that they can talk in private.

Spoiler
    Show
    "Master Grundy," Solomon begins, clearly distraught. "My actions have clearly upset your plans. Please, I wish to make amends in whatever way I can. As the others have stated, Stiletto is a threat not only to you and me, but also to this whole neighborhood. They are a poison, and I believe that with the help of the others, we can do a great deed for the whole community, the community you have lived your whole life in and the community you raised me in. Surely that is worthwhile? But if you are set on running, I will run with you, and guard you along the road.

Also, and unrelated, could I see the letter Haftan brought you?
    "
    Last edited by esorscher; 2014-07-29 at 11:14 AM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

"Now would probably be for the best." Haftan says and leads the way upstairs.

Spoiler: hush hush secret stuff
    Show
    Once in the privacy of the spare bedroom, Haftan sits on the edge of his bed near the headboard and absent mindedly untucks his shirt. He looks her dead in the eye, waiting until there is an awkward silence filled with unspoken words. "You seemed to have something you wanted to ask me about downstairs." he says with a mirthless smile.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

"Uh, Lydia? How far is it? To your place, I mean."

Natalie steps in where Aria didn't, because Natalie does not know anything about respecting people's boundaries apparently. Or maybe she's just paranoid because of all of the problems that have come up today.

"I get that you're shy and stuff, but I should probably still walk with y'all or give y'all a ride. Because sometimes it looks or sounds like you're haunted or something, and I don't want y'all to get ambushed..."