New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 3.5: A Madness in Hepmonaland (IC)

Spoiler: Haftan's Room
    Show
    Aria, for her part, waits in silence patiently as the youth glares at her. It wasn't the first time her mouth had drawn her ire, and it wouldn't be the last. In Haftan's case, however, the anger she had evoked was more telling than anything she had previously known. When he finally breaks the silence and speaks, she can't help but smile a faint, knowing smile. He did have something to hide after all. She hadn't been certain, but now she was.

"I did have something to ask you, Haftan, but that's not nearly as important as what I have to tell you. This is going to sound a bit odd: I know very little about you, and that makes me suspicious." Her faint smile turns into a real one, amused at her own phrasing. "That sounds pretty unclear, even from my end. Allow me to explicate, and then feel free to offer a response. No one knows much of anything about your past, or what you do most afternoons or evenings. You're extremely unassuming; except for times like now, when you become someone who is obviously both intelligent and intense."

Her smile fades, and she locks eyes with Haftan, her sigils casting a sharp light over the small room. "I can see it because I have lived it. You've got a powerful mind behind those eyes, Haftan. And sometimes, like now, you don't act your age." She holds his gaze for a long, long moment before shrugging. "Or am I totally off my mark? I'm pretty bright, but I've never been great at reading people as well as I can read thick tomes. I could just be wrong about you, Haftan. Am I?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I decided to leave this pretty open ended for you, Vixsor, because I don't know how important keeping Aarco's identity a secret is to you. If you want us to find out sooner or later, Aria can keep it on the down low and also help exploit his abilities. If you'd rather keep it hidden as long as possible, feel free to bluff away; her Wisdom is not particularly great.

Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Haftan relaxes once he realizes that this doesn't need to be confrontational. "No. You're smart enough that eventually you will figure it out, and it would be best if we get this out in the open now. Haftan covers his face and rubs his eyes. "You have me in a situation I'm not used to, normally I am the one learning secrets and deciding what to do with them." he says through his fingers. "Before I tell you, you should know that I have a vested interest in keeping Grundy safe, and I've already helped you once." He looks up at her, with Rinya's face. "I can help you with Stiletto."
    Going out of town, of you don't hear from me by 11/20 send me a poke

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Me? Shy?" Lydia laughs nervously before going on, "Its nice of you to offer Natalie, but if you walk me won't that put you out on the streets after dark? A pop goes off somewhere behind Lydia as she shifts her weight.
    Cl:{D
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

Lydia Deshayes, Socially Awkward Necromancer with a Broken Heart
    Wanderlust, a free spirited, hammer weilding barbarian.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh! I guess so, yeah. Uhhhm...?"

Natalie snaps to attention and leans to the side, trying to see what popped behind Lydia.

Nothing? Huh. Well, whatever it was, now it's making Natalie nervous, too.

"Uh. Well, I could stay at your place overnight! That'd be safest, right?"

5. - Top - End - #215
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lydia makes a face of genuine surprise at Natalie's suggestion, the thought had not occurred to her that someone staying over at her place would solve the dilemma. She rubs her arms a moment considering if Natalie's presence would stop her from doing what she had planed for when she got home. She concluded that it should be okay. "I guess that would work wouldn't it?" She replied. "Though I'm not sure if I have a safe place for Horsie."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Legitimately, I am not sure about a place for Horsie, I've got a little cottage but I assume thats not got stabling.
    Cl:{D
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

Lydia Deshayes, Socially Awkward Necromancer with a Broken Heart
    Wanderlust, a free spirited, hammer weilding barbarian.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Aria's eyes go wide, and then she nods in understanding, breaking into a smile. "I will admit, you caught me. I didn't guess this. I noticed the similarity in Haftan's clothing and Rinya's, but I didn't suspect you were one and the same. Impressive, but I suppose you've had more practice putting on an act than I have trying to see through one."

She sits down on the bed, apparently fairly relaxed. "Shapeshifters have never drawn mistrust and fear from my people like you do from many other races," she says by way of explanation. "Our sigils can't be imitated without at least mid-level magic, which affords Illumians a good bit of protection. And more than that, we're kindred spirits. I'm unusual among my people in that I have chose a single particular path to follow, and a single area of focus; most Illumians prefer to try a number of pursuits, which I would imagine is also common for your people. On that note, just for my own curiosity, are you a changeling, a doppelganger, or something that I'm not considering?" Aria seems fascinated and intrigued; just about the opposite from the usual reaction when a changeling is outed.

LGBTitP

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Vlad follows the conversation, exhaustion getting the better of him, but at the mention of the problem of staying or going back home his eyes come back to life.
    "I would love to stay, but I am afraid I cannot do that, my ...friend is probably worried sick already. I will come back tomorrow morning and help you whatever you decide to do Mr. Grundy." he says and then nods to Lydia and Natalie.
    "I will walk with you." he says and adds more quietly, with some bitter in his tone: "If someone attacks me in the dark, I can always breathe fire all around me..."

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

“Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: upstairs
    Show
    Rinya's face distorts unnaturally, then solidifies into the grey skinned face typical of changelings. He looks slightly confused, this was not the typr of reaction he had been expecting. "I've never actually met an Illumian before now, but I would imagine the sigils to be difficult to pull off. Even with some kind of magic, I would have to be careful to make sure the symbol looks right." he shifts his weight on the bed, and places his hands on his knees. "My name is Aarco." He says, gently rolling the R. "To answer your question, I am a changeling. So somewhere in my family tree there is a doppelganger, but i never met that particular family member." He smiles at her then continues on. "There is a certain similarity to us, ehich helped me make this descision. The other reason I decided to tell you who I am is because I need your help. This is my home, and I don't w ant to lose it. I can't let Grundy know, but I need him to stay. I have built a handful of lives here, and can't afford to start again."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Upstairs
    Show
    Aria listens politely, though her expression grows more shrewd as she does; Aarco's revelation is a significant development, to say the least. After a few moments, she realizes that she is still fully armed and armored. She slings her backpack off, leaving it at the foot of the bed, and then undoes the wide leather belt that supports her crossbow and morningstar.

"It seems I've managed to find someone like-minded after all. I agree, Grundy uprooting himself would be inconvenient, to say the least. I've put too much time into smithing to pick up another trade at this point; it would just take too much time, and we're on a bit of a clock. I hope you don't mind if I go into a bit of exposition?"

She smiles, assuming a yes, and then she starts undoing the bindings on her chainmail shirt. Because of comfort, of course, not as an attempt to disarm the changeling with her looks; Aarco could look twice as beautiful as her if he simply put in a moment's effort.

As she removes her armor, a tricky process, she speaks. "This arcane plague has all the marks of a socially destabilizing event. They've occurred in the past; massive magical or martial tragedies that abruptly shift the balance of power in the world. And in this case, the power is being shifted away from mortals, quite dramatically so. The most dangerous individuals are nearly always arcane spellcasters; there aren't many of them at the top, but anyone playing in the league of an archmage can send most monsters and demons packing should they attack a mortal population."

She allows Aarco to draw the obvious conclusion. She has also gotten her chainmail undone, and she pulls it off; she wears an undyed shift and breaches underneath. "Clearly, this plague must be stopped. It could spell the end to society as we know it, if it continues on long enough. And what if it mutates, and begins to affect divine casters, artificers, warlocks? We would be as weak as the common goblin next to the kinds of dangers that live in the world. And yet no one has managed to learn the damnedest thing about the plague. I'm going to change that. I have the drive and the mind to do it, and my power doesn't rely on any form of spellcasting. I'm a truenamer, by the way. I speak the language reality was written with."

She blushes, and corrects herself. "I just don't speak it... tremendously well. It's extremely hard, taking more study than even arcane magic. I need to become a full member of the Paragnostic Assembly, a group that has a great number of texts on many different subjects for their members; but that costs gold, and they won't let just anyone join. I'm not experienced enough; they can tell by my sigils that I'm not an adult, not yet." She seems both bitter and driven; though if she's driven to help or to become more powerful is hard for Aarco to say.
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2014-07-29 at 03:54 PM.

LGBTitP

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Aarco seems momentarily distracted as if in his own world. Snapping back to reality he listens intently. "I'd rather avoid having to hide as an orc for the rest of my days." a bit of stubble sprouts on his face so he stroke it while he thinks. "Though that seems to be a problem for a later day." He looks Aria up and down, not in the way most men would look at a barely dressed woman, but more as someone trying to memorize a particularily difficult passage from a book.

"Right now I am worried about Grundy and our livelehood. I don't want Stiletto gone. If you want my help getting into your Assembly, all my resources which includes them. I just want to make sure they know that Grundy is off limits." He stands up, and begins growing a few inches. His gangly arms thicken to that of a man accustomed to bearing heaby burdens and his skin darkens. With a voice like a rolling boulder he says, "This is Crulmin. Not a member of Stiletto, but someone with whom they have dealt. He has buisness to attend to with them tomorrow. I would like you to be there."

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Lydia’s entourage files out to head to her cottage while the rest of the group settles in at Grundy’s place. With the clutter all cleared out, you’re left with a cozy and warm place to crash for the night. Several pallets are laid out for those who wish to cozy up next to the fire (with a corpse burning in it). Some of the furniture that’s too broken from the fight to repair have been tossed into the forge to add to the heat, which now serve as the only noise and light in the area.

At this late hour, even Stiletto has slowed their movements for the night, so Lydia, Natalie and Vlad have a fairly quiet walk to her humble home, but not before Lydia scoops up a sample of blood into a vial…

Lydia, Natalie and Vlad, please go here.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Aria continues to be unconcerned, despite her relative state of undress. If anything, she seems equal parts exhausted and excited; the day has been long, but she still feels like she has much to do. She thinks for a moment, and then she nods to herself. "Alright. I agree that we have more immediate concerns than the Assembly; they're by and large stuffy old bastards, even though they've lost a large chunk of their most influential members. Stiletto, on the other hand, is as strong as ever. They may even be growing stronger, thanks to the unrest. Bad enemies to have and good allies, even though what they do can be wrong. Attempting to abduct Solomon, for example, is no better than attempting to kidnap someone to sell them into slavery."

She frowns at the thought, but after a moment shakes it off. She looks Crulmin over, making sure she has his features memorized. "I'd be glad to come with you tomorrow. But first, I'd like to try something. I've never used this utterance on anyone else, but there's no reason why it shouldn't work. I'm going to say a very strange word; it's a word of truespeech. This word is going to describe you very closely, but it will also underline the fact that you are extremely skillful. The world, for about half a minute, is going to be confused. It will listen to my word instead of reality, and for that time you should feel... different. In a good way. Try to think of information you've been looking for, anything you want to know. You may find that the answers come to you."

She closes her eyes, thinking for a moment, and then she says a horrendous and complex series of noises that turn even Aarco's ears. He can sense a passing similarity to Draconic and Celestial and Infernal... but it isn't really like any of those things. But after a moment, he realizes that she was right. His fingers feel quick, his tongue gilded, his eyes and ears sharp, and his mind expanded.

Spoiler
    Show
    She uses Universal Aptitude on Aarco. Truespeak DC 17+6=23: (1d20+14)[23]
    If she fails, she'll try twice more: (1d20+14)[29] (1d20+14)[17]

Aarco gets +5 to all skills for 5 rounds, and can use any skill untrained. Quite a boost considering he's already a Factotum.
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2014-07-29 at 10:57 PM.

LGBTitP

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

"I dinnae need t' clutter your floors by sleepin' on 'em, I'll just be trundlin' on back t'me abode. I don't fear anythin' rovin' in th' shadows of Ibra Down. You'll see me back 'ere come th' morn." Siegfried puts away his whetstone and flask, sheathes his sword, and moves to the door eager to return to the bed he had rented from a local innkeep.
    Sir Siegfried Andere, Final Line of the Tharquish Empire, Knight-Errant

I post in this color which is Navy. Why did the chicken cross the road? Answer: chickens have no concept of roads. Discuss.

Hail to the king, baby.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Aarco feels the universe seeming to supply him with information that he shouldn't have known. Or it was possible, he just thought that because the feeling was so new to him. "I'm sorry. Whatever you did made my mind follow paths it wasn't used to." He shudders and shakes his head trying to clear the too smooth feeling from his mind.

(1d20+8)[9] this should apply to all of them. Its too bad i dont have any points in any Know skills, so I can't using cunning knowledge.

Edit: normally I wohld wait for a DM to tell me what I know, but I didn't even clear the DC basic knowledge stuff oh well, I guess I was due for a bad roll anyways.
    Last edited by Vixsor Lumin; 2014-07-30 at 07:58 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    When it looks like Aarco-as-Crulmin is drawing a blank, Aria shrugs. "Sometimes the knowledge doesn't come as easily. It takes a little getting used to. I know you can sing; but can you come up with poems on the spot, or juggle? Try something you haven't learned how to do. Trust me."

If he needs longer than half a minute, she refreshes the utterance, pleased that it seems to work on people other than herself. She was learning about the way the words went together; she only had one action word, the one for skill, but the rest of her vocabulary was coming along well. Describing Aarco was much more difficult than describing herself, but she had found the words.

LGBTitP

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Aarco thinks for a moment the reaches behind his back. The sound of a blade being drawn fills the air, and he reveals a jeweled knife that seemed to move unnaturally through the air. He holds it cautiously, being careful not to move too quickly. "I uh, 'found' this tonight, and I wanted to learn more about it. I havent appraised anything in years, but lets see if i still remember what to look for."

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    appraise (1d20+10)[16] using a point for this one

Hopefully this goes smoothly.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Spoiler: Haftan and Aria
    Show
    Greenish fluid splatters from the blade as Aarco swings the knife around. Wherever the fluid lands, it hisses and burns. One splashes dangerously close to Aria's feet. Then a second one flies toward her right leg, splattering onto her breeches, which absorb the burn, but leave a dark scar where it lands.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Aarco is momentarily distracted and realizes what had happened a moment later than he should have. "Sorry about that. Whatever you did worked this time." His eyes widen and he shifts back into Haftan. "I could buy a whole tavern and drinks for everyone in it with this. Which its quite a prize to keep for myself." With effort and a hint of sadness he sheathes the blade again. "Before we go any further I would like to ask you to keep my secret between us."
    Last edited by Vixsor Lumin; 2014-08-01 at 12:00 AM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Aria jumps off of the bed away from the acid, giving Aarco lots of room. Once he puts the knife away she thinks for a moment, and then decides to describe what she saw to Aarco. "Listen, you need to be very careful with that. I don't know if you were able to feel it, but you began to transform when you were holding that knife. Your hand turned green, your eyes became slitted; I know that's well within a changeling's abilities, but you didn't seem to be doing it on purpose. There is a chance it's a cursed or sentient item. As soon as you can afford it you should get that thing Identified, and you should only use it if you really need to. That's my professional opinion as someone who has read far too much about magic items."

She takes a breath, waits for his reaction, and then relaxes again. "Alright. Well, first of all, your secrets are all entirely safe with me. I gather information, not distribute it. To be completely blunt, you're more useful the fewer people know about your talents." She offers her hand, to shake. "I think this is the beginning of something important."
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2014-07-31 at 10:44 PM.

LGBTitP

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    "I noticed that last time i drew it. I guess that means I have a reliable way to reveal myself to those who know about my knife." He says thoughtfully. He doesn't acknowlege her concerns about the items potential nature, but files it away for future consideration.

He laughs at something she said, but doesn't decide to share the joke. Instead he stands and grasps her hand. "Im glad we agree about how to utalize me." He squeezes her hand firmly but warmly. "Then heres to the start of a profitable partnership."

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Aria smiles warmly, for a moment or two. Then, finally, a crack forms in her facade of strength and calm. Her hands tremble a bit, she bites her lip, and then before Haftan has much chance to react she hugs him. She's taller than the changeling, particularly in his current guise, but she still tucks her head down to rest it on his shoulder.

She grips him hard for a long moment, her breathing unsteady. Then she takes a long, slow breath, squeezes him once more, and gives him some space. "I'm... I'm sorry." She is flushed, and a few tears have escaped down her cheeks. "It's been a long year. A really long year. And I realized, just now, that you're the first person since my mother died who would care if I was gone."

Her voice is tight, and she works at the choker on her throat, taking it off. She takes another breath, moving to sit on the bed. "I cried myself to sleep for months after she died. She had to kill herself, you know. She was a wizard, a brilliant and beautiful woman. She always told me that my father could one of a number of people... I've never known him. He's probably still out there, somewhere, but he isn't family."

She looks up to the sky, wistful for a moment, before dropping her gaze back down to her lap. "My only biological family is up there, in the Driftcloud cabal. It's a sort of hidden city of Illumians that exists to keep certain bits of information safe and hidden. I'm what's called the Last Seed. I know how to start up a new cabal, should something happen to the Driftcloud. I'm the last line of life, should a disaster occur. But it's also an exile, even if it's a practical and benevolent exile. I'm alone, Aarco. I've been alone for a long time now."

She has begun to cry in earnest, though silently. "I'm sorry," she mumbles. "I need to be strong. But I just can't. It's been such a long day. I can't stop thinking about the woman I almost killed, and how it felt to hit her. About what I saw in my reflection."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the sadness, here. Aria has a PC class, but she's not an adventurer, not yet. The events of the day, coupled with the year she's had? She'd be crazy not to be upset.

LGBTitP

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: haftan and aria
    Show
    Aarco is shocked by the hug. So much so that it takes him a moment to realize he should hug back, but by then its over. He sits and listens while she talks, giving her time to let it out. "Im sorry about your mother. She sounds like an amazing being and the world is a darker place for her absence." Haftan says sadly.

"As for the woman you nearly killed, you need to come to terms with it. It was self defense, and the best long term defense is making sure they can't come after you again." he shifts uncomfortably, then places a hand on hers "But I know that takes time. I spent some time as a mercenary long before I came here, and I know its no simple task. The most important thing tobremember is that she wouldn't have stopped when you did, and you didn't actually kill her." He stands and begins making a small bed out of the linens he had brought from downstairs.

Once finished, he picks up his pillow, the only one in the room, and hands it to her. "Ill ask again, do you want the bed? I've only been here a couple weeks, Im still used to sleeping on the ground under a tree. Either way, we should rest."

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Aria's breathing calms as Aarco speaks, and by the end of it she is drying her eyes and straightening her shift. "Thank you. For... for being here. I just needed someone for a few minutes, I guess. I'm back. I have my face on again." She smiles faintly at the turn of speech, which means something very different for each of the two of them.

"And you're right, about the elf. Gwen. She deserved it." Aria frowns, thinking about the fight. "She deserved what she got, really. And if I had killed her, it wouldn't have been wrong. I shouldn't carry weapons if I'm not prepared to use them, and prepared for them to be lethal. I'll remember that."

She sniffs, and then looks down. Her pants still smell of acid, and she after a moment of thought she unselfconsciously removes them, folding them neatly and stowing them with her pack and weapons. "I really am happy with the floor, Haftan. This is your room, and I really do sleep on a very hard bed. Illumians are fairly monastic, usually even the oddballs like my mother. I mean... we could share. I wouldn't mind. But either way, I suppose it's time to sleep. Early to bed, early to rise, and then we can seize the day." She settles down, either on the makeshift bed on the floor or in the real bed, and after a few minutes finally rests.

LGBTitP

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Haftan gestures towards the bed, and lays down against the wall, making sure there is enough room for Aria. He pushes the pillow to the side of the bed she will be on and then goes to sleep. Dreams of future ventures danced in his head, filling him with excitement for this new partnership.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

A new sun rises over the Temple of Pelor, basking Ibra Down in a golden radiance that washes away the horrors of the night. Aria and Haftan awaken to the sound of Solomon busying himself downstairs while Master Grundy still snores loudly in his room.

It turns out no one else bothered to stay in the house and no one else has arrived yet.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Haftan crawls out of bed as carefully as he can. Aria wasn't expected to be at work quite yet, and he wanted to let her sleep. He gathers up the unused blankets and carries them down to the forge. After stowing them away, he heads off to the cooking area in search of breakfast for himself, Aria, and Grundy.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Firbolg in the Playground

Solomon takes the blankets from Haftan and puts them away, but its characteristic silence has resumed, the loquaciousness from the previous night seemingly forgotten, now that the excitement has apparently passed. It has spent the time working on another sap.

Spoiler
    Show
    Take 10 on craft (17) * DC (15) = 255 copper (crafting by the day) -- completing the sap in 40% of one day, as previously done in the sidequest thread.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2014-08-01 at 11:38 PM.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

"Mornin Solomon." Haftan says happily while humming. He begins pulling out bread and butter.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Firbolg in the Playground

Solomon smiles, and takes some time before saying, "Good morning, Haftan. Did you sleep well?"
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

"The best I have since I came here." Haftan chirps. Clearly a morning person he floats over to where they stored the water and began scooping out 3 mugs."What did you spend the night doing?"