New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: An Unchanging Reality

The General continues his prayer, and begins mumbling quietly to the altar, a formless being coming into being in front of him. It seems to listen intently to him, while he speaks calmly and quietly, as though worried someone might be listening in to his conversation.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Balrik mentally sighed, knowing that one several levels he agreed with Dagan's desire to end the general's role in this affair tonight. However, he also did not like the idea of leaving valuable intel behind. In any engagement, one had to weigh the benefit of acting versus the price of not ... and vice versa.

As the apparition appeared, he perked up, wondering who or what this creature was that the general sought counsel with. Shaking his head to the request to attack, he signaled to his two companions to spread out and move a little closer. If they could hear what the general was saying ...

He also considered that this might be the beginnings of a trap for them, so he stayed alert for a change in advantage.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Slide up a bit, listen in on his talking. Or at least that's the idea
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Balrik, and momentarily afterwards, Dagan sneak up closer to the General to try and eavesdrop better on him. The two slip into a bush as close to the man as they dare to go, listening closely to try and overhear him. Balrik finds it hard to hear his muttering, but Dagan, possibly due to his old age, or maybe his lack of sanity, seems to hear the conversation better.

Spoiler: Dagan
    Show
    "What news do you have of our enemies?" He pauses as though listening to a response that makes no noise. "So they must have arrived already." Another pause. "You mean they're aren't the ones I was searching for?"

After a few moments, he lifts his head up as though alerted to something, and begins looking carefully around, no longer focused on his altar.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Firbolg in the Playground

Dagan quietly stands in place, secretly hoping that this target would detect him because honestly, Dagan was growing bored. Recon was indeed valuable but this was almost like watching paint dry, hearing a one sided conversation in the middle of nowhere was not going to amount to a whole lot. A sudden desire to break out into song rose within him but Dagan reluctantly quelled the feeling ruthlessly, he would wait and observe like a good little lap dog... for now.
    Blarg...

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

After another moment, the General turns in Dagan's general direction, and shoots out his hand. As he does, a lion forms into being close to Dagan, and with a quick roar, it launches itself at him. Extending its claws it attempts to shred its way through the old man. Some ways behind it, the man commanding it yells at him. "Kill them!!"

Spoiler: Attacks
    Show
    Pounce

Attack roll (1d20+9)[27]
    Damage (1d8+5)[8]
    Grapple (1d20+15)[24]

Attack roll (1d20+9)[17]
    Damage (1d4+5)[9]

Attack roll (1d20+9)[20]
    Damage (1d4+5)[7]

Dagan is Grappled.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Dagan
    General/Summon
    Balrik

Last edited by meemaas; 2015-02-01 at 08:07 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

The situation suddenly erupted into chaos as the general summoned a lion that attack Dagan. Rising up swiftly, he slid to the opposite side of the lion and shifted into one of his many battle stances, intent on taking this beast down quickly so they could deal with the general. With both arms raised high and in front, he lashed out, once, then twice, his kicks striking with deadly powering and accuracy.

Show
    Hoping it's a free action to rise to our feet! Swift action to adopt Pugilist Stance (unarmed attacks do +1d6 more damage). 5ft step to flank, if necessary. Flurry of Blows on lion.
    Attack 1 - (1d20+6)[19], Damage - (2d6+7)[13]
    Attack 2 - (1d20+6)[19], Damage - (2d6+7)[17]
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    Current readied maneuvers: Flurry Strike, Flat Iron Riposte, Shards of Iron Strike
    Current Stance: Pugilist
    AC 23; HPs 36/36; F +7 R +9 W +3
    Effects: stance (+1d6 to unarmed attacks);

7. - Top - End - #97

Reeling from the onslaught by the oversize tabby, Dagan snarled and counter attacked before winking out of space and appearing in the trees up and away from the bloody cat. Atop his perch he re positions himself to get the best possible vantage point.

Spoiler: ooC
    Show
    Dagan 31/39 HP AC 21
    attack (1d20+10)[11]
    damage (1d4+7)[10]

move action is to teleport into a tree and uses a swift action to get into poisoner's stance

dear god the dice gods are being exceptionally cruel to me since I've been back
    Last edited by Morbis Meh; 2015-02-05 at 12:44 PM.
    Blarg...

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Dagan strikes out, his attack missing, but his body moving to a safer spot. As he does, he glimpses the general fleeing towards the woods, after a fair distance retreat, Dendu begins a spell, as if preparing another trap for his foes. Meanwhile, back on the ground, Balrik repositions himself to start pummeling the lion, while the lion turns and retaliates at him in turn.

Spoiler: Attacks
    Show
    Lion full attack

Bite (1d20+7)[16]
    Damage (1d8+5)[12]

Claw (1d20+7)[19]
    Damage (1d4+5)[9]

Claw (1d20+7)[16]
    Damage (1d4+5)[9]

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Balrik slipped left, then right, then right, avoiding all three of the lion's attacks. Stepping in, he lashed out with one knee, then spun and attacked with his opposite elbow. Without looking up, he called to Dagan, "Get the general, while I handle the lion."

Show
    Another full action to flurry of blows vs the lion.
    Attack 1 - (1d20+6)[24], Damage - (2d6+7)[16]
    Attack 2 - (1d20+6)[25], Damage - (2d6+7)[17]

EDIT: Here's hoping 60+ damage takes this summoned beastie out!
    Show
    Current readied maneuvers: Flurry Strike, Flat Iron Riposte, Shards of Iron Strike
    Last edited by Starbin; 2015-02-09 at 12:55 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100

Dagan grumbles and hops down from his perch then quickly fires at the fleeing general with his tube shooter.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    acrobatics (1d20+18)[37] I assume he makes it down just fine and is able to move 20 ft closer making it only a -4 penalty to hit... at least he loses his dex to AC due to fleeing

Manuever (Sting of the Asp)
    to hit (1d20+5)[7]
    Damage dart (1d4)[4]
    damage manuver (1d6)[1]
    DC vs poison Fort 16
    Blarg...

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As the tiger falls and disperses into the magical energy used to summon it, Dagan hops down and launches an attack at the General. Unfortunately his aim, possibly shifted by the sudden movement, is terribly poor, and the General simply tilts his head to avoid the attack like it was nothing. In return, the General waves out his hands, and vanishes where he stands, as though he were never there.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, through a mistake of memory, this fight ended a bit faster than I had originally expected, lol.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

With the creature banished, Balrik looked in the direction of the general, then frowned slightly as he glanced back at Dagan. "Our advantage is gone. Best we leave quickly. We might be able to end around ..."

Show
    Barring something else from Dagan, Balrik wants to head back swiftly, but at an angle that takes us away, then parallel to the direction the general ran off.

Show

13. - Top - End - #103

Dagan simply shrugs and follows behind, whistling happily.
    Blarg...

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You go after the General for only a moment before realizing that he went away from town. Keeping an eye out in case he comes back, you instead check out the altar he was praying at. Inscribed into it is a language you cannot comprehend, and set in the center of the writing is a single gemstone. Prying it out of its place doesn't seem to have any poor side effects, and a quick examination of it gives you an eerie, almost magical feeling is buried deep within it. Whether you take it or not, you turn back the way you came and take a brisk pace heading back. Keeping your senses about you, you survey the area through the darkness of night as you get closer to the town.

Not far from the edge of the forest, Dagan stops and dives into a bush, after seeing the mans surprise reaction, Balrik, not waiting to question him, dives into a bush opposite the path from Dagan and waits for the older man.

Spoiler: Dagan
    Show
    You heard several voices ahead, hushed but still there, along with footsteps that appeared to be getting closer.

Spoiler: Both
    Show
    I hope you don't mind my choosing your choices there, I felt that would be what you would do, Dagan especially, since as an assassin, he wouldn't shoot into headfirst combat if he could get the element of surprise, right?

Also, let me know if you take the gemstone. Just for future reference.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

The odd altar isn't anything Balrik recognizes, and while the gem was easily removable, it was not something he planned on doing ... too many chances at something bad happening. Instead, he motioned to the assassin to circle back - hopefully they could catch the general returning to the castle.

As they walked back, Dagan suddenly leapt into the bushes, drawing a raised eyebrow from Balrik, who, after a momentary pause, followed suite swiftly. It was difficult to tell if the eccentric man was actually hiding from something, or simply being odd. Keeping a low profile, the warder scanned the woods and surrounding area, uncertain what they were looking for.

Show
    I figure I'm done waiting for Dagan to illuminate me Time to push this thing along. Perception - (1d20+7)[10] Not sure what's going on yet, but Balrik will wait until something happens ... in Pugilist stance

PS - meemaas, no problem with you acting on our behalf where it makes sense!

Show
    Effects: stance (+1d6 to unarmed attacks)

16. - Top - End - #106

Dagan gracefully leaps into the bushes, almost giddy with excitement, this was his sure fire way to be allowed to slit some throats, maybe even torture some information out of someone... The giddiness died when he remembered this was a scouting mission and killing a patrol was never a good idea. Grumbling he silently waited in the bush until they could discern who was walking by, he thought he should get a business card stating he was the king of the bushes considering since his release he had seen his fair share of brambles.
    Blarg...

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As our two heroes lie in waiting for whatever comes, a group of what appears to be soldiers comes up the path. The two in front seem to be talking about women, while the ones in back are talking more about their orders. From what you can piece together, since they clearly aren't trying for stealth, they were ordered to head that way to route off potential assassins. However, they seem to have not recognized the parties presence, and pass by unknowingly.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Balrik raised his hand towards Dagan, indicating they should hold. Once the patrol had passed, they could wait a few moments for the General to potentially walk this way ... then return to their rebel compatriots. He was somewhat disappointed they had blown an opportunity to watch the General and gather intelligence upon his actions ... but he was equally disappointed that once their surveillance was discovered they had failed to kill the man. Forewarned was forearmed, and now the General knew he was no longer safe going out at night.

That, or he was arrogant enough to try it again, perhaps attempting to ambush the ambushers. Time would tell ...

Show
    Let 'em go by, wait a bit for the general, then head back.

Show
    Effects: stance (+1d6 to unarmed attacks)

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The duo makes their way back to town with no other roadblocks, and sneak safely through the backstreets back to the hideout. They slip in and find Thea, wide eyed and intent on them as though she had been waiting the entire time for them to arrive. "What did you find out? Were you caught? We got word of a unit being sent out unusually late."

20. - Top - End - #110

Dagan grins "Information? I thought dear Ballsac and I were just having a merry midnight sojourn through the woods, all that really happened was we heard some guy muttering to himself about people arriving and they weren't the ones he was searching for. Oh and I was partially mauled by a lion, I think it will leave a pretty impressive scar. Chicks still dig scars in this era right?"
    Blarg...

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Balrik simply gazed at the woman for a moment, then shook his head. She must be used to dealing with amateurs. "No, we were not captured. As Dagan said, we found the general has an ally; he is searching for someone; and he possesses magic. There is a mystic gem at his altar - we left it."

Pausing, he thought for a moment, then spoke. "When did the patrol depart?"

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"The patrol left roughly an hour or so ago. We were worried about you, they aren't sent out like that after hours normally." After a sigh of relief, she moves back to her seat, waiting for whatever else you have to say on the subject.

Spoiler
    Show
    That time frame fits roughly into the time frame it would have taken for the group you meet. Based on your reckoning, you have another two hours or so before they may return, based on the trip there and back.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Balrik mused for a moment. "We have another opportunity - if the patrol is to escort the general, we could ambush them. We'd be at a disadvantage, but it may be worth it. Otherwise, the general knows two more pieces have entered the game and our mission may be tougher."

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thea thinks for a second. and then smiles. "We could do that. Would you like some support, or would you rather do it yourselves? Either way is fine with me, I'll defer to your opinion on this."

25. - Top - End - #115

Dagan began pacing about, feeling antsy "Listen, tootz, heal me up and I will kill anything for you for free! More people would only slow Ballsac and I down, right pal? I know I was only an overglorifed chew toy last time but I've been locked in the slammer for the past 50 years! Ambush also means stealth and more people jeopardize such objectives."
    Blarg...

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Balrik thought for a moment, then stood walked over to whatever maps the group had of the surrounding area. "Dagan and I will engage the general and his escort, anticipating he'll come back along a route here. Take a small group of trusted soldiers and wait here," he pointed to a spot less than half a mile away, "and stay hidden. If we must retreat, we'll hopefully lead them into another trap ... or have a second chance at attacking."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Does this make sense? Basically, D&B try to intercept the group on their way back, with Thea and her troops in reserve.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thea glares at Dagan, still fairly perturbed whenever he opens his mouth. She sighs before addressing him first. "I liked you better when you were quiet." She then waves over one of the other people in the room, and asks him to provide a little healing.

The elf that comes over carries a Holy symbol and is otherwise dressed in fairly clunky armor, as though he were afraid to be without it. He places his hands on Dagan, allowing his magic to heal the Assassin's wounds before looking at Balrik and deciding he doesn't need any healing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cure (2d8+4)[16] HP to Dagan

While he is doing that, Thea speaks with Balrik, hoping that the healer keeps Dagan occupied so he cannot offend her any further. "Alright, I can have my guys lay in wait at the edge of the forest. Myself, Syntax, and two of our stealthiest spies should be good to get the jump on them when they retreat. I'll go out and get them together right away. Best of luck to you on your preemptive ambush." Before she leaves, she pulls out two small potions, labeled healing, and hands them to Balrik, and then heads out the door, quickly vanishing into the night.

Spoiler
    Show
    Two potions of CL 3 Cure Moderate Wounds

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Balrik nodded to the woman, slipping the potions into his pack. "Any more maps of the area? Any other known trails they might use?"

Once everyone was ready, he motioned to Dagan. "Let's go."

Show
    Head out, try to place ourselves on the most viable looking intercept path for the direction we saw the soldiers heading and approximately where we think we lost the general.

29. - Top - End - #119

Dagan looks to Balrik and gently nudges him in the ribs "Hey Ballsy ole pal, what do you think my chances with that fiesty dame are? I think she likes me, I know I am the definition of sexy beast and I thrive off of the bachelor lifestyle but I think it might be a good change of pace to settle down and bring the joy of little Dagans to the world. I know it would break so many hearts like the Queen, she has it so bad for me it must be my Bad Guy image, but I feel this broad could take a couple of assassination attempts in the name of love. Help out and you totally have secured the best man position at the wedding and if you play your cards right maybe even god father, though that seems also very likely since everyone I used to know is dead but that's because i got bored and stabbed them."
    Blarg...

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thea pulls a small hand drawn map off of Helliers table and hands it to Balrik before she leaves. "This should be useful for you." As she goes to leave again, she stops at the door to hear Dagan's rant, and turns to glare at him. "I wouldn't touch you even in your dreams. Hell, I'd sooner marry a corpse than so much as touch your sorry ass for more even a split second. In other words, stop dreaming, you pig." As soon as her rant is over, she goes out the door, slamming it shut behind her to show her irritation.

Spoiler
    Show
    I almost considered this rant instead. "You racist, disgendered, patriarch propagating, misogynistic PIG!!" But it just didn't QUITE fit.