New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default 4th Edition Character Help!

Hi there, Playgrounders!

I've been messing around with Hero Labs to make a Shadowrun 4th Edition character, and I wanted to link her here and see if I've made any egregious mistakes. I'm very new to the game -- barely having even read over all the rules yet -- and I'd rather not make too grave an error on my first character!

Lizzie can be found here. It should be public.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have, and give any advice!

She was made with 400 BP, and the breakdown is:

45 Race
    220 Attributes
    88 Active Skills
    0 Extra Knowledge Skills
    0 Qualities (+35, -35)
    30 Gear
    17 Social
    0 Magical Resources
    2/2 Contacts
    3/3 Adept Power Points
    0/3 Foci Bound
    0/15 Force of Foci Bound
    0/3 Foci Active

Thanks!
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2014-06-18 at 07:04 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: 4th Edition Character Help!

I'd have thought the problem of being a world famous sim star and a professional criminal are pretty obvious. Not to mention if you have such a great day job why does she even want to be a Shadowrunner
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Certainly good questions, but those are tackled in the fluff -- namely, she's not shadowrunning for monetary gain, but instead in an attempt to find her husband (the Lost Loved One of that negative quality). The difficulties that come with her fame and her current desires is certainly something I look forward to exploring, although admittedly Elizabeth isn't a standard Shadowrun character.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

She doesn't seem very... erm... useful.

Why would a Shadowteam want her around? She'd be more of a contact than an actual, in-the-field asset.

She doesn't seem to really fill a niche within the team, other than to be a Face, but Faces typically have skills beyond fast-talking and typically have the advantage of anonymity. There can only be so many guards that get I starstruck.
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2014-06-20 at 04:28 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Also, SINner is actually a pretty big negative. All your identifying medical information, much of your purchase history, your home address, your educational records; basically anything useful anyone could want to know about your character is a matter of semi-public record. I'm not saying you shouldn't take it by any means, especially if it fits your character, but that question mark next to the negative is unwarranted.
    Last edited by Flashy; 2014-06-21 at 06:59 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    She doesn't seem very... erm... useful.

Why would a Shadowteam want her around? She'd be more of a contact than an actual, in-the-field asset.

She doesn't seem to really fill a niche within the team, other than to be a Face, but Faces typically have skills beyond fast-talking and typically have the advantage of anonymity. There can only be so many guards that get I starstruck.
    I figured being a face par excellence with good contacts who can also shoot (if not all that greatly -- I may need to invest in a different method of attack, perhaps using narcojet+DMSO splash minigrenades?) wouldn't be a terrible addition to a shadowrunning troupe (group? Cell?). But perhaps I'm wrong in that respect. And filling only one niche was sort of the idea, so that I didn't step on any toes. Plus, you need someone with the connections and the talent to sell things, doncha? I might be overestimating the usefulness of a talkative character, but they're always my go-to for RPGs so I figured I'd go big or go home.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
    Also, SINner is actually a pretty big negative. All your identifying medical information, much of your purchase history, your home address, your educational records; basically anything useful anyone could want to know about your character is a matter of semi-public record.
    To that end, I've purchased two False SINs and am considering a secondary commlink to run in active mod displaying one of the two while incognito. Plus, negative qualities ought to be negatives. If your GM doesn't take the negative qualities and use them to create a more compelling story, then it's sort of a moot point. Plus, she needs a SIN for background reasons. But it's good to know how dangerous SINs can be!

7. - Top - End - #7

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Glarx View Post
    To that end, I've purchased two False SINs!
    Oh, I didn't see those listed on your character. That will help immensely.

It's also worth pointing out that Glamour and Day Job: World Famous Simstar combine to make you instantly recognizable to almost anyone. This is a great character, and I've known people play really unconventional stuff like this in a really cool way before, but if you're going to be doing standard shadowrunning with her be then everyone is going to know she's a criminal by night within four or five months.
    Last edited by Flashy; 2014-06-21 at 07:00 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I'm making lil' stealth edits to her as I get more feedback. Gave her perception, false SINs, swapped her agility around a bit. Changed one of her contacts from another simsense star to a media producer. Biosculpting. Et cetera, et cetera. I'm not gonna ask for advice and then not take it!

It's also worth pointing out that Glamour and Day Job: World Famous Simstar combine to make you instantly recognizable to almost anyone. This is a great character, and I've known people play really unconventional stuff like this in a really cool way before, but if you're going to be doing standard shadowrunning with her be then everyone is going to know she's a criminal by night within four or five months.
    Which is why standard shadowrunning isn't in her immediate future. Future karma purchases include Disguise for this very reason, as the Fame PQ indicates you can take steps to hide your true identity (while losing out on the benefit of Fame in the process). For Elizabeth, that'll be a thought she didn't have before setting out on her path through the shadows, and something I fully expect the other 'runners to berate her for. This is all new for her, just as it is for me -- it seemed fitting to make a character as 'fish outta water' as I am.
    Last edited by Glarx; 2014-06-21 at 07:03 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Glarx View Post
    Which is why standard shadowrunning isn't in her immediate future. Future karma purchases include Disguise for this very reason, as the Fame PQ indicates you can take steps to hide your true identity (while losing out on the benefit of Fame in the process). For Elizabeth, that'll be a thought she didn't have before setting out on her path through the shadows, and something I fully expect the other 'runners to berate her for. This is all new for her, just as it is for me -- it seemed fitting to make a character as 'fish outta water' as I am.
    Perfect then. As long as you're thinking about it I'm sure you'll be fine.
    Last edited by Flashy; 2014-06-21 at 07:04 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Perfect then. As long as you're thinking about it I'm sure you'll be fine.
    Yay!

While I have your attention, though... how are you with riggers? And metasapient AIs?

11. - Top - End - #11

Goblin

I once DMed a game for a group that included an AI that did some light rigging, so I can definitely answer AI questions and maybe rigger questions.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Mostly I'm just looking for build help. Karmagen is weird, but it's also nicer than BP it seems. (I'm aware trust fund and day job aren't normally available to AIs, but that's being overlooked. Also, we're receiving free knowledge ranks equal to (L+I)*3, just like in BP. House rules!) I'm not sure what drones to buy, or even how to make drones. What nexus/commlink I should get. Whether the programs I've selected are dumb or not. Whether having an agent and a Juhseung Saja is wise, et cetera et cetera. I'm out of my depth, and I can't find any sample AI builds on the internet to glean information off of. Most sources I find just say "make a technomancer!" which isn't exactly a worthwhile answer.

Spoiler: Current Ideas
    Show
    685/750 Total Karma
    0 Race
    335 Attributes
    275 Active Skills
    0 Knowledge Skills
    0 Quantities (+70, -70)
    27/100 Gear
    48 Social
    2/2 Contacts
    0/0 Inherent Programs

EDEN (Metasapient AI)
    Rat 6, C 6, I 5, L 5, W 5, Fir 6, Rsp 6/5, Sig 6, Sys 5, E 3, Init 11/10, IP 3
    Matrix Condition Monitor: 11
    Armor (Matrix): 5
    Skills: Cracking Group 4, Electronics Group 4, Gunnery 6, Influence Group 4, Pilot Aircraft 4, Pilot Anthroform 4, Pilot Ground Craft 4
    Knowledge Skills: Biology 4, Business 5, Criminal Organizations 4, Economics 5, English N, Gang Identification 4, Medicine 4, Politics 4
    Qualities: Codeslinger: Command, Day Job (2500 nuyen/month, 20 hrs/week) (2), Ghost in the Machine, Media Junkie (Moderate), Obscure, Piloting Origin (Autosofts), Trust Fund (Medium lifestyle, 500 nuyen allowance)
    Gear:
    Agent (4)
    Analyze (5)
    Browse (5)
    CarnivoreGold (5)
    Command (5)
    Edit (5)
    Encrypt (5)
    Juhseung Saja (4)
    Lip Reader (5)
    MonaLisa (5)
    Scan (5)

SIN: Economic Design and Expansion Nexus
    False Sin: Eden Summers with Day Job, Fake SIN (4), Trust Fund: Middle Lifestyle

--------------------

Agent (Agent)
    Fir 4, Pil 4, Rsp 6/5, Init 10/9, IP 3
    Matrix Condition Monitor: 10
    Armor (Matrix): 4
    Skills:
    Knowledge Skills: English N
    Gear:
    Attack (4)
    Black Hammer (4)
    Purge (4)
    Sniffer (4)
    Spoof (4)
    Stealth (4)
    Track (4)

--------------------

Juhseung Saja (Juhseung Saja)
    Skills:
    Gear:
    Black Hammer
    Blackout
    Browse
    Spoof
    Track

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
    Shadowrun © 2005-2014 The Topps Company, Inc. All rights reserved. Shadowrun is a registered trademark of The Topps Company, Inc.

13. - Top - End - #13

Goblin

An AI never needs a commlink, unless it wants to use one as its home node or provide its party with a high quality node it can enter they will be permanently physically close to them. The AI's signal and response (normally determined by a shadowrunner's commlink) are not fixed values but are set to whatever the signal and response of the node the AI is currently working from. I didn't see anything about the home node in your notes, so you'll still need to buy one of those. Every AI needs a server/drone/commlink/toaster to permanently reside in. The way it functions is as a sort of combination home base/phylactory since it's almost impossible to destroy an AI without destroying the home node at the same time. The system is pretty clearly intended as a way to extend lifestyle costs to AIs, but it honestly has some pretty nice advantages (again, pretty much a phylactory). The node gets a bunch of stat bonuses for being the home of an AI, but its base device rating is determined by the lifestyle costs you pay. Squatter is device rating 1, low is 2-3, medium is 4-5, high is 6 and luxury is anything higher than that.

Your programs seem fine, there's a nice spread of functionality there, though I'd suggest picking up a personal copy of attack since in Shadowrun it's NEVER wise to be without a last resort weapon (Though you might have one, I must admit I'm not familiar with CarnivoreGold). Apart from that this character shouldn't have too much trouble doing anything that's likely to come up. As far as having both a Juhseung Saja and an Agent in my experience the more bound servants the better, so don't worry about that at all.

As far as drones go I'm guessing based on your skills that you're looking at really heavily armed flying stuff since the gunnery skill isn't going to apply to weapons lighter than the sort of thing you'll see mounted on an armored assault vehicle (this is assuming I correctly remember how rigging works, since I think you use pistols or automatics or whatever depending what's mounted on your drones). I'd suggest rotodrones or crawlers with some mid quality pistols or assault rifles mounted (depending on size), along with the autosofts relevant to firing them. The Nissan-Doberman and Nissan-Rotodrone are great initial options here.

Also, I totally recommend buying a couple cheap dragonfly sized stealth drones. If you fly them somewhere random and use them as intermediary nodes to hack your targets it makes following you back to your actual position a righteous pain.
    Last edited by Flashy; 2014-06-21 at 07:48 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

CarnivoreGold appears in the book Spygames, and it "translates languages and argots that users may have no other way of translating, including modes of communication that may have been developed solely for communication between a limited group of people. The program's rating plus the user's Computer skill are then used in Language Tests to understand what was said." It's not an attack, but it is a delightful program that lets me understand all the languages on earth with an effective dice pool of 9. Which ain't too shabby.

I'll probably remove... Lip Reader in order to get an attack. Would you suggest Attack or Black Hammer? Insofar as the agents are concerned, can I have my Agent program running stealth and have it affect EDEN? Can I outsource my actions to agents in order to have multiple programs running simultaneously? If so, should I invest in more agent programs?

I don't see an area in Hero Lab for a home node, which is why I thought it would be a commlink. I do have a Medium lifestyle, so that would give me a node of 4-5. But I got to buy up the Matrix Attributes of Response and Signal, my Firewall was the average of my Charisma and Willpower, and my System was the average of my Intuition and Logic. Am I wrong in thinking those are the "Matrix attributes" for my metasapient AI? Is it based on the AI's programming, or is it based on the home node? On the issue of home nodes, however -- can you have a home node running autosofts and have the AI be able to access them even while interacting with the world through a drone?

I was under the impression the gunnery skill was what dictated all drone-mounted weapons for riggers. Is that not the case?

So, on drones... I see they come with rigger adaptations. 1) Should I change the doberman to a flyer through the appropriate modification? 2) Do I need the autosofts, since I have Gunnery 6? (That was the point of getting Gunnery 6, after all, although I can use Autosofts thanks to Piloting Origins 2! [Isn't it weird I can mix Piloting Origins with E-Ghost?]) 3) Do you have any specific weapons that you favor in this sort of endeavor?

On the dragonflies specifically, are there any modifications you would suggest? I went ahead and bought two.

Also, I'm looking for an anthroform drone to use as a primary body, not to house my core software (i.e. not to act as my home node), but so that there's a physical runner rummaging about with the meatbags corpsesacks valued organics other PCs. Do you have any suggestions? I thought about the Renraku Manservant-3 or the Evo Orderly, but I wasn't sure with the mechanical arms if they'd work with what I had in mind.

Is there a reason I shouldn't go with something like the Steel Lynx?

Sorry for the all the questions, I'm just really curious about this particular sort of character and I'm really digging the Shadowrun rules! Thank you so much for all your help thus far!

EDIT: I've done a bit of tooling about. Updated EDEN below!
    Spoiler: EDEN MK3
    Show
    717/750 Total Karma
    0 Race
    335 Attributes
    275 Active Skills
    0 Knowledge Skills
    0 Qualities (+70, -70)
    67 Gear
    40 Social
    2/2 Contacts
    6/6 Inherent Programs

EDEN (Metasapient AI)
    Rat 6, C 6, I 5, L 5, W 5, Fir 6, Rsp 6, Sig 6, Sys 5, E 3, Init 11, IP 3
    EDEN Condition Monitor: 12
    Spoiler: Skills
    Show
    Cracking Group 4
    Electronics Group 4
    Gunnery 6
    Influence Group 4
    Pilot Aircraft 4
    Pilot Anthroform 4
    Pilot Ground Craft 4
    K: Biology 4
    K: Business 5
    K: Criminal Organizations 4
    K: Economics 5
    L: English N
    K: Gang Identification 4
    K: Medicine 4
    K: Politics 4

Spoiler: Qualities
    Show
    Codeslinger: Command
    Combat Paralysis
    Day Job (2500 nuyen/month, 20 hrs/week) (2)
    Media Junkie (Mild)
    Obscure
    Piloting Origin (Autosofts)
    Trust Fund (Medium lifestyle, 500 nuyen allowance)

Spoiler: Inherent Programs
    Show
    Analyze (5)
    Attack (6)
    Black Hammer (6)
    Command (6)
    Reality Filter (5)
    Stealth (5)

Spoiler: Programs
    Show
    Browse (5) with Ergonomic
    CarnivoreGold (5)
    ECCM (5) with Ergonomic
    Edit (5) with Ergonomic
    Encrypt (5) with Ergonomic
    Lip Reader (5)
    MonaLisa (5)
    Scan (5)
    Spoof (5) with Ergonomic

Gear:
    Primary Agent (4)
    Secondary Agent (4)
    Cyberspace Designs Dragonfly
    Cyberspace Designs Dragonfly
    GMC-Nissan Doberman
    Juhseung Saja (4)
    MCT-Nissan Roto-drone
    Home Node Upgrades

Actual Name: Economic Design and Expansion Nexus
    False SIN: Eden Summers with Day Job, Fake SIN (4), Trust Fund: Middle Lifestyle

Home Node: EDEN (5/5/5/5 [upgraded to 8/8/8/8 with EDEN installed] Nexus, Middle Lifestyle, paid for via trust fund)
    Spoiler: Home Node Upgrades
    Show
    Anti-Tamper Circuits (4)
    Armor (10)
    Camouflage: Basic Entertainment System (6)
    Case Lining (10 sq cm)
    Customized Interface
    Environmental Resistance: Cold
    Environmental Resistance: Heat
    Environmental Resistance: High Pressure
    Environmental Resistance: Radiation
    Environmental Resistance: Underwater
    Gas Deployment: 3 Doses of Gaseous Narcoject+DMSO
    Hardening (6)
    Nonstandard Wireless Link (6)

--------------------

Cyberspace Designs Dragonfly (Cyberspace Designs Dragonfly)
    B 1, Sen 2, Han +1, Fir 3, Pil 3, Rsp 3, Sig 3, Init 6, IP 3
    Physical Condition Monitor: 9
    Armor (Vehicle): 2 [1]
    Skills: Targeting: Unarmed Combat 4
    Gear:
    Drone Weaponry
    Improved Takeoff and Landing, Level 2
    Rigger Adaptation
    Targeting: Unarmed Combat

--------------------

B 1, Sen 2, Han +1, Fir 3, Pil 3, Rsp 3, Sig 3, Init 6, IP 3
    Gear:
    Drone Weaponry
    Rigger Adaptation
    Targeting: Unarmed Combat

--------------------

GMC-Nissan Doberman (GMC-Nissan Doberman)
    B 3, Sen 3, Han +0, Fir 3, Pil 4, Rsp 3, Sig 3, Init 7, IP 3
    Physical Condition Monitor: 10
    Armor (Vehicle): 9 [6]
    Skills: Automatics 3, Clearsight 3
    Gear:
    Clearsight
    Pilot (4)
    Rigger Adaptation
    Targeting: Automatics
    Walker Mode
    Weapon Mount (Turret, External, Remote)

--------------------

Pilot (Pilot)
    Fir 4, Pil 4, Rsp 1, Init 5, IP 3
    Skills:

--------------------

Juhseung Saja (Juhseung Saja)
    Skills:
    Gear:
    Black Hammer
    Blackout
    Browse
    Spoof
    Track

--------------------

MCT-Nissan Roto-drone (MCT-Nissan Roto-drone)
    B 3, Sen 3, Han +0, Fir 3, Pil 4, Rsp 3, Sig 3, Init 7, IP 3
    Armor (Vehicle): 5 [2]
    Skills:
    Gear:
    Pilot (4)
    Rigger Adaptation

--------------------

Pilot (Pilot)
    Fir 4, Pil 4, Rsp 1, Init 5, IP 3
    Skills:

--------------------

Primary Agent (Agent)
    Fir 4, Pil 4, Rsp 6, Init 10/9, IP 3
    Skills:
    Gear:
    Attack (4) with Ergonomic, Targeting
    Black Hammer (4) with Ergonomic, Targeting
    Purge (4) with Ergonomic
    Sniffer (4) with Ergonomic
    Spoof (4)
    Stealth (4)
    Track (4)

--------------------

Secondary Agent (Agent)
    Skills:
    Gear:
    Attack (4) with Ergonomic, Shredder
    Black Hammer (4) with Ergonomic, Shredder
    Blackout (4) with Ergonomic, Targeting
    Data Bomb (4) with Ergonomic
    Defuse (4)
    Exploit (4)
    Medic (4)

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
    Shadowrun © 2005-2014 The Topps Company, Inc. All rights reserved. Shadowrun is a registered trademark of The Topps Company, Inc.
    Last edited by Glarx; 2014-06-21 at 09:34 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Goblin

If you're going to use only a single combat program you pretty much have to go with attack. Black hammer is great against metahuman enemies (what with the killing them outright) but is utterly useless against agents. Attack affects both, though it doesn't actually inflict damage to hacker's physical bodies.

You can definitely outsource your actions to agents! They're sort of like really, really, REALLY basic AI programs that function like npcs under your control. You issue them a set of directives and they will act to the best of their abilities to carry those actions out. In fact it's sort of silly but the mechanics are almost entirely identical to the system for binding and commanding spirits that magicians use, but in the matrix.

I double checked in the SR4 rulebook and gunnery is indeed for firing vehicle mounted heavy weapons. Drones in general do not come with a weapon, they're sold with weapon mounts. It's left up to the player or the manufacturer to install other existing guns onto the drones. The guns are then fired either by the drone autosofts or by the rigger if they're directly controlling the drone, using either longarms, pistols or automatics depending on the gun installed.

There's no need to change the doberman to a flyer, the roto-drone pretty much is a flying version of the doberman. The advantage of autosofts is that they make it somewhat easier to control a few drones at the same time, since you can let the others do their own thing for a while if you want to jump into one in particular, or switch your full attention to hacking. As far as specific weapons go it's really up to what kind of functionality you want to get out of it. If you want high single shot damage go with heavy pistol or shotgun, if reasonable sustained damage and access to the burst rules is what you're after take an smg or assault rifle. The reload rules for drones are, as I recall, outrageously byzantine so the larger the magazine capacity the better. If you want to do something mildly exploity but really, really fun then the Ares Alpha is an incredibly good assault rifle which also happens to include a six shot under-slung grenade launcher, and there's nothing in the rules that requires you to take off included attachments.

Sadly I don't have any advice about androids, since I've never used them or seen them used. Pick something that sounds fun and don't worry too much about how optimal it is since Shadowrun generally has very few really bad options when it comes to equipment.

There aren't any particular recommendations I have for the dragonflies. Upgraded sensory and stealth gear would be the only things I could think of, and those aren't even all that important since they already do pretty well.
    Last edited by Flashy; 2014-06-22 at 12:37 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Thank you very much for all your help! Here's the finalized stat block for EDEN -- if I've made any egregious mistakes, please point them out. Or, if you have any suggestions, lay 'em on me!

Spoiler
    Show
    750/750 Total Karma
    0 Race
    335 Attributes
    275 Active Skills
    0 Knowledge Skills
    0 Qualities (+70, -70)
    100 Gear
    40 Social
    2/2 Contacts
    6/6 Inherent Programs

EDEN (Metasapient AI)
    Rat 6, C 6, I 5, L 5, W 5, Fir 6, Rsp 8/7, Sig 8, Sys 5, E 3, Init 17/16, IP 3
    EDEN Condition Monitor: 12

Skills:
    Cracking Group 4
    Electronics Group 4
    Gunnery 6
    Influence Group 4
    Pilot Aircraft 4
    Pilot Anthroform 4
    Pilot Ground Craft 4

Knowledge Skills:
    Biology 4
    Business 5
    Criminal Organizations 4
    Economics 5
    English N
    Gang Identification 4
    Medicine 4
    Politics 4

Qualities:
    Codeslinger: Command
    Combat Paralysis
    Day Job (2500 nuyen/month, 20 hrs/week) (2)
    Intuitive Hacking: Emulate
    Media Junkie (Mild)
    Piloting Origin (Autosofts)
    Trust Fund (Medium lifestyle, 500 nuyen allowance)

Inherent Programs
    Analyze (5)
    Attack (6)
    Black Hammer (6)
    Command (6) +2 (Codeslinger)
    Reality Filter (5)
    Stealth (5)

Programs
    Browse (5) with Ergonomic
    CarnivoreGold (5)
    ECCM (5) with Ergonomic
    Edit (5) with Ergonomic
    Empathy (5)
    Encrypt (5) with Ergonomic
    Exploit (5)
    Lie Detector (5)
    Lip Reader (5)
    MonaLisa (5)
    Scan (5)
    Spoof (5) with Ergonomic
    Visual Spotter (5)

Gear:
    . . Agent (4)
    . . Agent (4)
    . . Certified Credstick with 11,745 nuyen uploaded.
    . . Cyberspace Designs Dragonfly
    . . Cyberspace Designs Dragonfly
    . . MCT-Nissan Roto-drone
    . . 500 Mesh Tags
    . . Shop, Aeronautics Mechanic with Firewall (4), Profession: Aeronautics Mechanic (4), Response Upgrade (2), System (4)
    . . Shop, Armorer with Firewall (4), Profession: Armorer (4), Response Upgrade (2), System (4)
    . . Shop, Automotive Mechanic with Firewall (4), Profession: Automotive Mechanic (4), Response Upgrade (2), System (4)
    . . Shop, Chemistry with Firewall (4), Profession: Chemistry (4), Response Upgrade (2), System (4)
    . . Shop, Hardware

. . Economic Design and Expansion Nexus is its real name.
    . . Eden Summers with Day Job, Fake SIN (4), Trust Fund: Middle Lifestyle

. . EDEN is the Home Node, a Nexus with a rating of 5/5/5/5. This is paid for by the trust fund.

. . Home Node Upgrades
    Anti-Tamper Circuits (4)
    Armor (10)
    Camouflage: Basic Entertainment System (6)
    Case Lining (10 sq cm)
    Customized Interface
    Environmental Resistance: Cold
    Environmental Resistance: Heat
    Environmental Resistance: High Pressure
    Environmental Resistance: Radiation
    Environmental Resistance: Underwater
    Gas Deployment: 3 Doses of Gaseous Narcoject+DMSO
    Hardening (6)
    Nonstandard Wireless Link (6)
    Response Enhancers (3)

--------------------

B 1, Sen 2, Han +1, Fir 3, Pil 3, Rsp 3, Sig 5, Init 6, IP 3
    Gear:
    . . Chameleon Coating
    . . Drone Weaponry
    . . Gecko Tips
    . . Improved Economy
    . . Improved Takeoff and Landing, Level 2
    . . Retrans Unit
    . . Rigger Adaptation
    . . Targeting: Unarmed Combat

--------------------

B 1, Sen 2, Han +1, Fir 3, Pil 3, Rsp 3, Sig 5, Init 6, IP 3
    Gear:
    . . Chameleon Coating
    . . Drone Weaponry
    . . Gecko Tips
    . . Improved Economy
    . . Retrans Unit
    . . Rigger Adaptation
    . . Targeting: Unarmed Combat

--------------------

MCT-Nissan Roto-drone (MCT-Nissan Roto-drone)
    B 3, Sen 3, Han +0, Fir 3, Pil 3, Rsp 3, Sig 5, Init 6, IP 3
    Armor (Vehicle): 12 [9]
    Skills: Targeting: Heavy Weapons 3
    Gear:
    . . Armor (9)
    . . Rigger Adaptation
    . . Signal Upgrade (5)
    . . Weapon Mount (Flexible, External, Remote) with Ammo Bins, Remote Control
    Weapons:
    . . Ingram White Knight [Light Machineguns, DV 7P vs. B-2, BF/BF-L/FA, RC 13, 350 (belt)] with EX-Explosive Rounds, Folding Stock, Gas-Vent 5 System, Gyro Stabilization, Hardening (6), Personalized Grip, Safe Target System, Smartgun System, Internal, Sound Suppressor, Thermal Suppressor, Trigger Removal
    . . EX-Explosive Rounds (Light Machine Guns) x350 [DV +1 vs. B-1, RC 3]

--------------------

Primary Agent (Agent)
    Skills:
    Gear:
    . . Attack (4) with Ergonomic, Targeting
    . . Black Hammer (4) with Ergonomic, Targeting
    . . Purge (4) with Ergonomic
    . . Sniffer (4) with Ergonomic
    . . Spoof (4)
    . . Stealth (4)
    . . Track (4)

--------------------

Secondary Agent (Agent)
    Skills:
    Gear:
    . . Attack (4) with Ergonomic, Shredder
    . . Black Hammer (4) with Ergonomic, Shredder
    . . Blackout (4) with Ergonomic, Targeting
    . . Data Bomb (4) with Ergonomic
    . . Defuse (4)
    . . Exploit (4)
    . . Medic (4)

Last edited by Glarx; 2014-06-22 at 08:31 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't forget the lesson from The Incredibles: “Your identity is your most valuable possession. Protect it.” - Helen Parr

Buy a mask to use for all your runs. A cover-your-whole-head type mask. Maybe an external voice mask, too. And get some goggles. Pile on all the extras you can: low-light, thermal, UV, flash suppression, ultrasonic echo-location, magnification, the whole bit. Never worry about dropping your flashlight again. (Well, unless you need to read something in the dark. Then you'll still want it.)

Edit: Uh... EDEN can probably won't need the mask/goggles. This was really directed at your rock star.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2014-06-22 at 08:54 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Anyone who quotes Helen Parr gets a gold star. I like the idea of the mask -- I'll definitely make use of that once we start shadowrunning in earnest!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Isn't there an Adept Power that helps you with Disguises? You could start with Nanopaste disguises, then upgrade (whenever possible) to that power. Between that and Voice Control, you have the basics for impersonation. With eventual points in Disguise and a needed boost to Intuition, you could be anyone you want. That will help a lot with the fake SINs, and even let you be the group's social infiltrator (by passing as an important company member, you can attempt to gather, or steal, valuable data for your next run). Being the Face usually involves more than just sweet-talking; sometimes, it involves going one step forward and entering the art of impersonation. Given that you have a job as a Simstar, you should pretty much be THE best actress around, so taking a slight detour into that area will enhance your contributions to the party. Think about it: you have the Influence skill group at near-maximum, a high amount of Charisma and nearly all your skills are suited to impersonation, so let one of your chummers borrow an identity (or let one of your contacts do the favor for you) and go deep cover. Between the right Con and Etiquette and a decent Disguise, it'll be easy to fool your mark.

That said: you'll be bad while in combat. Dodge only works while doing full defense with ranged attacks, and your Pistols + Agility dice pool will generally ensure about 2 successes almost constantly. This may be fair enough for the typical guard, but it will HURT when facing a Sammy, Warrior Adept or CorpSec that doesn't ask questions (hope that your fellow runners are up to the task).

And...yeah, you might be a good fencer (another SIN for your fence activities would be a nice plus), but that only works if your party is pretty much looting everything it gets. It depends on the game experience: those coming from D&D might be looters, but those coming from, say, GURPS or that are native Shadowrunners might not consider looting as appropriate, given that you can't hold all those weapons and expect the badges to ignore you. Paydata is your best bet, and in that regard, you'll usually need to ensure your party's decker (I tried using hacker, but why not go for the game's classic term even if 4th nuked 'decks out of orbit?) or technomancer has a way to pass that data to a physical storage medium. That is, IF you have a decker.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.