New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 1480
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion XVI: Chej Kejak, Pokegod Trainer!

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I do consider Samurai Jack to be a perfect example of a Dawn Caste Solar.
    Dawn fits best, but he could also be a good Zenith (his ability to persuade and lead, plus his outdoorsiness and an obviously high Integrity and Resistance), Eclipse (he does an awful lot of traveling and taking in other cultures), or even Night (an obviously high Athletics and Dodge, plus occasional sneakiness) could be made workable.

But yeah, Dawn fits best.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Titan in the Playground

Edition of Cascading Years gets my vote as well.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Dawn fits best, but he could also be a good Zenith (his ability to persuade and lead, plus his outdoorsiness and an obviously high Integrity and Resistance), Eclipse (he does an awful lot of traveling and taking in other cultures), or even Night (an obviously high Athletics and Dodge, plus occasional sneakiness) could be made workable.

But yeah, Dawn fits best.
    Most inspirations for Exalted will fit more than one caste. Or more than one Exalt type, even (some could be mortals or semi-mortals too). I treat Jack as a Dawn because at the end of the day, his most distinctive and defining skill are his supreme combat abilities. He has others, but he's a warrior first and foremost.
    Last edited by Morty; 2015-08-27 at 05:17 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Or more than one Exalt type, even
    Sun Wukong gets used as Lunar inspiration a lot, just because he's an animal man with shape shifting powers, though if you actually read Journey to the West, he's clearly a Solar of some kind(with Martial Arts and Sorcery, since his transformations were spells taught to him)

His Staff if clearly an artifact weapon with Evocations related to it's changing of size and shape, and Wukong's immortality is a result of several Exalted type events that together contribute to an accidental sorcerous working...

Or you could just make a Monkey Totem Lunar martial Artist with a high starting heart's blood pool, if you don't want to be that close to the original inspiration.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    If there's only one place where 'Death of the Author' applies, it's tabletop roleplaying games.

I don't care what the devs think.
    Really? I'd say it's the other way around. RPG books straddle a very interesting line between fiction and non-fiction: on the one hand, it's clearly about made-up stories and worlds, but the books themselves don't convey the stories. Instead, they convey instructions for telling the stories, and those instructions are intended to be followed according to the author's idea when they wrote them. We do expect and are prepared for the author to tell us how our characters function, and at least in a game such as Exalted, that also translates into what they are like to some extent. That makes it harder, not easier, to disregard questions about the intent of the author.

Of course, there is some slippage in terms here. "Death of the author" is not a term developed for the type of interactive fiction that RPGs produce. It's a term used with regards to the effect a text has on a reader, in terms of perception and interpretation, rather than the effect a text has on the world as outwritten.

Note, I'm not saying you shouldn't ignore stuff you don't like in RPGs. But I think there must be some distinction made between the books as text and the way they're translated into played out sessions, and also between the impact the text has on a reader when read in a traditional sense and the impact the text has on a played out session. So I'm sceptical of proposition that "death of the author" is specifically applicable to RPGs.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    Really? I'd say it's the other way around. RPG books straddle a very interesting line between fiction and non-fiction: on the one hand, it's clearly about made-up stories and worlds, but the books themselves don't convey the stories. Instead, they convey instructions for telling the stories, and those instructions are intended to be followed according to the author's idea when they wrote them. We do expect and are prepared for the author to tell us how our characters function, and at least in a game such as Exalted, that also translates into what they are like to some extent. That makes it harder, not easier, to disregard questions about the intent of the author.

Of course, there is some slippage in terms here. "Death of the author" is not a term developed for the type of interactive fiction that RPGs produce. It's a term used with regards to the effect a text has on a reader, in terms of perception and interpretation, rather than the effect a text has on the world as outwritten.

Note, I'm not saying you shouldn't ignore stuff you don't like in RPGs. But I think there must be some distinction made between the books as text and the way they're translated into played out sessions, and also between the impact the text has on a reader when read in a traditional sense and the impact the text has on a played out session. So I'm sceptical of proposition that "death of the author" is specifically applicable to RPGs.
    "Death of the author" as I understand it means 'the author's interpretation of the story is no more or less valid than any readers'. Most rpgs include some variant of 'The DM is the final arbiter' and are designed such that ultimately the players can play how they choose.

So... Yes, really.

Extended Sig

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Troll in the Playground

"Death of the author" as I understand it means 'the author's interpretation of the story is no more or less valid than any readers'. Most rpgs include some variant of 'The DM is the final arbiter' and are designed such that ultimately the players can play how they choose.

So... Yes, really.
    Yeah in fact aren't most of the secrets in Exalted up to the ST? I think that's why they leave out a majority of the yozi's fetch souls, the names of some of the deathlords & neverborn, etc.
    Lu'ciel, First Age Sorcerer-King of the Unconquered Sun avatar by linkele. many thanks to the person

Extended List of Games I'm in or GM'ing

My homebrew setting: Raeus

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's also why each faction's book is deliberately written with a strong pro-faction bias: they are telling their own story, cherry picking the bits that serve their narrative, and framing events the way they want them to be understood in universe. It makes it easier to say "X didn't really happen like that" when there's 2 or 3 competing claims spead out through lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrTenko View Post
    TimeWizard, you've got to do something about all that Clarity you've got. It starts by just ruining jokes, but soon you'll be dreaming of electric sheep and stuff. It can't be good for you.

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TimeWizard View Post
    It's also why each faction's book is deliberately written with a strong pro-faction bias: they are telling their own story, cherry picking the bits that serve their narrative, and framing events the way they want them to be understood in universe. It makes it easier to say "X didn't really happen like that" when there's 2 or 3 competing claims spead out through lore.
    Unless you're 2e Lunars.

YES I'M STILL TICKED ABOUT THAT

Extended Sig

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Bugbear in the Playground

Unless you're 2e Lunars.

YES I'M STILL TICKED ABOUT THAT
    As well you should be.

New thread is up here: General Exalted Discussion XVII: Edition of Cascading Years.

I'm probably going to swap out the 2e picture with something 3e.
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrTenko View Post
    TimeWizard, you've got to do something about all that Clarity you've got. It starts by just ruining jokes, but soon you'll be dreaming of electric sheep and stuff. It can't be good for you.