New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion XVI: Chej Kejak, Pokegod Trainer!

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    If I want to learn about Alchemicals, what is the best source for the fluff, the relevant Compass of Very Long Name or the MoEP?
    The MoEP, but Compass: Autochthonia is really good for getting a better look at the Eight Nations and Autochthonia in general. after all the Alchemicals are all about serving the greater community, so if you like Alchemicals you should probably get Compass: Autochthonia after it.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    If I want to learn about Alchemicals, what is the best source for the fluff, the relevant Compass of Very Long Name or the MoEP?
    Well, -
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    The MoEP, but Compass: Autochthonia is really good for getting a better look at the Eight Nations and Autochthonia in general. after all the Alchemicals are all about serving the greater community, so if you like Alchemicals you should probably get Compass: Autochthonia after it.
    ...yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Thank you. Do you also approve of charms that let me craft Primordial Charms based on the powers and themes of the Spirits my chacter has eaten and imprisoned?
    Absolutely. ._.

Now,here's thing I've been wondering about:

The Capstone Charm for infrernal monster Style transforms one of the Character's hands into a demonic once, aloowing the character to treet all unarmed strikes as being made with an artifact weapon.

If this or a similar charm were to make it to 3E, how would that interact with Invocations? I could see the Infernal expansion on it as an invocation
    Well, wouldn't the invocation themes just be the martial art again?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Well, wouldn't the invocation themes just be the martial art again?
    Are the evocations for Soulsteal Daiklaives Abyssal weapon charms?

Evocations are not intrinsic powers of the Artifact, but rather charm like techniques created by the soul of the artifact resonating with the soul of the essence wileder it is atunned to.

So two wielders of an artifact might develop the same evocations, but it's unlikely that they'll be exactly the same.

As an example. Pretend that I'm a, say, a Twilight Caste who favored Weapon as a skill. I use my craft charms to build myself an Orichalcum Daiklaive and train with it everyday. Over the course of a decade I build a respectable stock of say, 30 evocations with it.

One day, I'm injured in a way that leads me to no longer be such a good swordsman, so I pass my daiklave down to a Dawn Caste swordsman, still in his prime, and instruct him in it's use. As I'm instructing him, he'll probably develop any number of my evocations. But, a few of them might has slight differences, even if they're only cosmetic.

However, one day he's practicing with it and develops a technique I've never even imagined, and starts to develop more of his own in addition to learning the ones I created.

But, here's the thing, it's not as simple as that. If Infernal Monster Style finds it's way to 3E, be it a martial art or Infernal brawl tree, and the capstine charm says the same, it wouldn't be the Same Artifact fist, it would just be one of several artifact fists.

Back to the Previous comparison, If I forged two identical Red Jade Grimcleavers and passed them down to other wielders, then the wielders of those two Identical weapons would probably develop rather different evocations
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

Now,here's thing I've been wondering about:

The Capstone Charm for infrernal monster Style transforms one of the Character's hands into a demonic once, aloowing the character to treet all unarmed strikes as being made with an artifact weapon.

If this or a similar charm were to make it to 3E, how would that interact with Invocations? I could see the Infernal expansion on it as an invocation
    That hand of yours would glow with an awesome power.
    Last edited by TimeWizard; 2014-06-25 at 06:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrTenko View Post
    TimeWizard, you've got to do something about all that Clarity you've got. It starts by just ruining jokes, but soon you'll be dreaming of electric sheep and stuff. It can't be good for you.

5. - Top - End - #185

Well obviously, I mean what else?

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Back to the Previous comparison, If I forged two identical Red Jade Grimcleavers and passed them down to other wielders, then the wielders of those two Identical weapons would probably develop rather different evocations
    But there's the thing.
    This weapon has been forged.

It is The One Hand of the Infernal Monster. It already has a legend. The more IM charms you take, the less it matters who you are, and the more you match the pattern of the Infernal Monster.

That said! They could use the One Hand as a gateway to a bunch of expansion charms without it causing as much friction as before.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

7. - Top - End - #187

But there's the thing.
    This weapon has been forged.

It is The One Hand of the Infernal Monster. It already has a legend. The more IM charms you take, the less it matters who you are, and the more you match the pattern of the Infernal Monster.

That said! They could use the One Hand as a gateway to a bunch of expansion charms without it causing as much friction as before.
    Assuming that Infernal Moster style stays a distinct martial art.

Marital Arts is being divorced from the Skill system, and hero styles are being replaced with Brawl skill Charms.

If Infernal Monster style reappears, it's most lily to show up as a tree of infernal brawl charms rather than as a concrete style, and the way that infernal charms changes you is very much dependent on the Individual in 3E, if some of the spoilers we've gotten are anything to go on.

Even if it reappears as a full style with attendant fluff, your evocations from the Charm would still be heavily influenced by who you are in relation to the legend of the infernal monster.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, I disagree. Who YOU are is irrelevant to the monster.

9. - Top - End - #189

Eh, I disagree. Who YOU are is irrelevant to the monster.
    For the Charms maybe, but for evocations derived from the Artifact Weapon forged by the purchase of the capstone charm, who you are is very important, becuase who you are is important for every set of evocations.

Thinking on the 2E paradigm, then yess, if you take this martial art, you become more like the Infernal Monster of legend. but Evocations don't Exist in the 2E Paradigm.

The 3E Paradigm removes the idea that Infernal Charms influence you Character's behaivior. The themes the Charms draw on is modified and focused by the lenses of your soul and your skill.

So, if Infernal Monster Style reappears as Infernal Brawl Charms, then it would be less "You are changing to Become the Monster of Legend" and more "You've decided to emulate the Infernal Monster while interpriting the Legend in your own way, granting subtle diferances that suit the nature of your own skill at handing out asswhoopin's"

If it stays as a solid Martial Art based on a legend, then it could all come down to varients on the style and diferant interpirtations of the Legend

Which Means that if the Capstone is kept the same, then the way the legend applies to you would certainly effect the nature of the evocations

That could even be a story hook. Each person whose mastered the Style claims to be the Raincarnation/Chosen Successor/what have you of the real/orignial/primordial infernal monster, at that all others are imitators and posers. "Why look at them, they don't even have the right Evocations? What, mthey're saying that I'm the fake? how dare they? Rage!"

Of course, if the charms reapear as a brawl tree, then it's entirly possible that they wouldn't even have the Infernal Monster FLuff, which would render all of this a moot point

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

See at this point my mind is just telling me 'they changed it now it sucks'. xD

11. - Top - End - #191

Is the Infernal Monster of legend actually specific person, or is it an abstract idea? And if so, is it that guy Gorran or something who was the first Akuma?
    TimeWizard, you've got to do something about all that Clarity you've got. It starts by just ruining jokes, but soon you'll be dreaming of electric sheep and stuff. It can't be good for you.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TimeWizard View Post
    Is the Infernal Monster of legend actually specific person, or is it an abstract idea? And if so, is it that guy Gorran or something who was the first Akuma?
    Abstract idea. Kind of all of the rage of the yozis at their imprisonment, personified and unbound.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

In its original inception, around Gorol (the first Akuma), the Infernal Monster was the antithesis of the Solar Hero.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

I have seen one character that went DT based on the idea of Infernal Monster Style being half of an incomplete Primordial, since Primordials basically have two trees of charms (what they are physically and what their outlook is), and Infernal Monster is just one. It was on one of these threads, I don't remember more.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I have seen one character that went DT based on the idea of Infernal Monster Style being half of an incomplete Primordial, since Primordials basically have two trees of charms (what they are physically and what their outlook is), and Infernal Monster is just one. It was on one of these threads, I don't remember more.
    ...that might well be me. :P

I have a DT called Marcia, the Chained Monster. One of her main chains is just IM expansion charms, while the others are about self-control.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I will never stop thinking that the abbreviation of DT for Devil Tiger is hilarious, as a side note.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaurOps View Post
    I will never stop thinking that the abbreviation of DT for Devil Tiger is hilarious, as a side note.
    That link leads to something other than StarCraft II!?
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

18. - Top - End - #198

I've read that the ultimate stage of a Raksha is called Ishvara, and that they make their story real for everyone and are powerful enough to challenge the gods. Are there any canon examples given of this and if so, who are they?

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TimeWizard View Post
    I've read that the ultimate stage of a Raksha is called Ishvara, and that they make their story real for everyone and are powerful enough to challenge the gods. Are there any canon examples given of this and if so, who are they?
    Prince Balor of the Terrible Gaze and Prince Lashee the Morning Star.
    Many, many thanks to azuyomi244 for the avatar.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Firbolg in the Playground

Also The Fomorian Dream and The Thing in the Mountain.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    Also The Fomorian Dream and The Thing in the Mountain.
    Where are those discussed?

Also, since I forgot to put it in: Prince Lashee is detailed in Inkmonkies, and Prince Balor was the one who instigated the Baloring Crusade.
    Many, many thanks to azuyomi244 for the avatar.

22. - Top - End - #202

They don't get as much information as the other two.

The Fomorian Dream is in the Raksha section of Scroll of Errata, and The Thing in the Mountain is in Compass: Autochthonia.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #203

Prince Laashe.

That is all.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Hey guys, I'm kind of stuck on a characters backstory

Moonsilver Caste of Kamak, stealthy infiltrator, her past lives have a tendency to do thing for the greater good of Autochthonia at the expense of her own selfish desires and it carries into her current life. and basically my concept for her is that she fell in love with a kindhearted leader of a conspiracy against Kamak that she infiltrated, but killed her anyways for the greater good of Kamak to prevent a bloody civil war/revolution that would only weaken the nation.

but then after that she goes into Clarity a little at doing so, to keep herself from feeling the pain of her loss. however she is supposed to somehow recover and gain new friends and such, but the in the process of doing so, finding herself conflicted between Autochthonia's greater good and her own selfish desires again. and what I'm stuck on is how to write the second part of it out, like what exactly happens....
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2014-06-27 at 09:46 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205

The first half is your average alchie.
    For the second part, clarity does shift with human contact and it's lack. Maybe she just stops seeing people, eidolon included?

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andreaz View Post
    The first half is your average alchie.
    For the second part, clarity does shift with human contact and it's lack. Maybe she just stops seeing people, eidolon included?
    ......I didn't come up with that off the top of my head, I had to think and put actual effort into coming up with that, thanks, now I have to start over again.

wait, you said "alchie" not "cliche" sorry. easy to mix up. but it still doesn't change the fact that I'll have to get more inventive, cause if all I can come up with is an average Alchemical backstory, I need to step up my game, I don't want average, I want something NOTABLE, something interesting. Average ain't gonna cut it.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    ......I didn't come up with that off the top of my head, I had to think and put actual effort into coming up with that, thanks, now I have to start over again.

wait, you said "alchie" not "cliche" sorry. easy to mix up. but it still doesn't change the fact that I'll have to get more inventive, cause if all I can come up with is an average Alchemical backstory, I need to step up my game, I don't want average, I want something NOTABLE, something interesting. Average ain't gonna cut it.
    A quick way to make something interesting is to defy conventional story elements. Make it look like it's going one way, then have it veer off to go another way.

... 'Make it interesting' is a goal really hard to give advice for.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2014-06-28 at 12:34 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

28. - Top - End - #208
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Lord Raziere, to deny her selfish desires to be with people she could ... talk in third person about herself. Pretend to be just cold and unfeeling robot. Be more radical than Soulsteel castes chasing Void Cultists. What methods she uses to be ... properly selfless ?
    Eat that, abominable godling !

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

well apparently the average Alchemical story is making sacrifices of personal desire for a higher cause. so what wouldn't be average would be an Alchemical being selfish for once. problem is, its hard to really see that happening, due to 5000 years of a culture emphasizing community and worship of a machine god, as well homogeneity and orthodoxy. all Alchemicals on some level are selfless in some way, because of such strong expectations of them being so combined with the kind of souls that are selected to become Alchemicals- I doubt they select anyone selfish- so what to do?

lets try a different theme then, secrets lies and truth, which Moonsilver Castes are all about. how about instead of her killing the person herself, she destroyed the conspiracy but kept her alive, and lied that she killed the leader herself to the populace, trying to have her cake and eat it to, but another Alchemical found out that the leader was alive and revealed it, exposing her as a liar and damaging her reputation in the eyes of the Populat. and that somehow the leader escaped to one day again make another conspiracy and now the Moonsilver Caste works to make up for her mistake and her lie?

and sorry: the name of the Alchemical is Gilded Dagger of Cleverness.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2014-06-28 at 01:55 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Add paranoia and un-admitted total unhappiness, Lord R. You know, go with the selflessness to the extreme. Almost bad enough to be considered Goblin Syndromed.
    Eat that, abominable godling !