New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Neverblade Ascendancy IC

It had been those lush, green days when spring bleeds into summer when fate or destiny or the will of the Gods brought you together. The mighty knight; girded by divine strength; The fey blademaster, quick and deadly; The young wizardess, bright and witty; and the charming rogue, his past a mystery. Together you stood against the darkness that threatened to snuff out the light of an entire town, and against all odds you triumphed. You weathered blood and fear and suffering. You forged an unbreakable bond of fellowship, separate from and deeper than any friendship.

You left that town a week ago, to the cheers and tearful farewells of the townsfolk. Sons and daughters had been offered for marriage, contracts for employment and pleas for friendship followed you to the town's gate. But the world is wide and dangerous, civilization but a flickering candle in the howling darkness. The free peoples of the world need heroes such as you.

Heroes such as you need rest, and relaxation. The horrors you faced weigh heavily on the mind of any sane being, and must be washed away. Reduced to a dirty smudge on the lens of your minds eye, by drink and song and pleasant company. So you are headed to the capitol of the kingdom of Barchalon, because the harvest festival is soon and Barchalon is famous for its summer's end revels.

The wagoner turns and calls over his shoulder:

My friends, we draw close to Barchalon. I am going to do business with an old friend inside the walls.

A broad grin splits his tanned face.

But something tells me you'd rather I leave you outside, at the festival tents. My home is famous for the quality of its drink.

His eyes adopt a mischievous glint.

And the beauty of its people. If the festival is not for you, I can take you into the city with me. I know many fine inns and taverns. For the heroes of Nochre, I'm sure I could get you a special price.
    Last edited by Albub; 2014-07-15 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Dropouts and new additions, purely for flavor
    My apologies to any of the players in the 4th edition DnD games I was running. I know I vanished abruptly, you guys didn't deserve that.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Neverblade Ascendancy IC

Alice Baker - Human Wizard

It was hard to believe she'd helped save the village, she didn't feel like she'd actually done too much to help. A few well placed spells, the right words of encouragement, real life adventuring was far different to what she'd read. Her companions though were pretty impressive she thought, what with their swords and their armor.
    She plucks at her faded blue skirt, I could be mistaken for just your run of the mill village maiden. I should get a hat! Oooh, and a walking stick, if I put a simple cantrip on it, it'd look impressive. But... there are advantages to not looking the part too. You could get dismissed as just a nonthreatening girl, then BAM! You save the day. Her train of thought interrupted by a nasty bump in the road she let out a long sigh.
    Having just read the same paragraph for the third time, Alice gave up reading and marked her page. Tucking the book she was reading into the waterproofed leather folder and placing it back into her pack, she stretched out her arms and back. She almost wished they had decided to walk, sitting all day in the back of a wagon wasn't the most comfortable way to travel.

"Oh yay! A festival! I wonder what sort of attractions they'll have. Maybe i can send a souvenir back to my parents." She smiles brightly back at the wagoner.
    "Oh!" she says, remembering she's not the only one to consider. "Maybe a hot bath and a meal would be better first. How long does the festival last anyway?"
    DMing
    Part II: Search for the Tower (5e)
    OOC / IC / Tracker / Map

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Merric Phalt - Halfling Rogue

More than enough blades, one whetstone, and two hands. What more could Merric need? Sure the work was tedious, but the road was long and it needed to be done. Alice had her book to keep herself occupied and he had his blades. One by one the beautiful works of art that they were got cleaned and sharpened, right in time too. Only a handful to go and the city was nearing. A large dip in the road made him nearly drop the dagger he was working on. Damn wagons... Made this process a hell of a lot harder... but I suppose without it we'd all be walking and that would be harder still. As he adjusted his hood he caught the last part of what the driver was saying about the beautiful people and taverns.

Hot baths and beautiful people? All at a reduced price? Personally I think I'd prefer to spend the night in the city and tomorrow spend the day at the festival.
    Fear profits a man nothing.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quarin the Eldarin Ranger

Quarion had been watching the shy and the wilderness as they traveled. If there was one thing he loved in this world, next to festivals and parties, it would have to be nature. He enjoyed parties and festivals and seeing everyone happy but every once in a while he also enjoyed just walking over to the forests edge and just sitting there admiring its beauty.

As the driver spoke he turned his head intrigued "I must agree with Merric. We should into town to wash up and relax after this journey and then head for the festival tomorrow to have a good time with the people here."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Goeban the Goliath Paladin

Goeban was trotting along on one of the village's horses behind the wagon. His massive size and weight being too much for the axles of the wagon to bear without buckling, even the horse, which was the strongest and largest the village had to offer, was straining slightly under the weight of the Goliath and his equipment. His armor dented and scratched looked a bit worse for wear, but Goeban preferred it like that, it showed he had entered into glorious battle for his god, and although scratched and scraped had emerged the victor. His Greatsword strung along his back in it's scabbard; it's brass pommel glinted in the sunlight. Goeban was staring off into space, daydreaming of the battles he had fought alongside his companions, his greatsword swinging madly, bringing death to many foes, his frantic Laying of Hands on his allies. His trance was broken upon seeing the wagoner turn his head, but missed what was said, but riding closer, he hears his companion's discussion.

"Ahh, a festival, I wonder if there'll be any competitions. But I agree that we should rest first, so we are at our best when we enter glorious battle!" speaks Goeban with a smile.

6. - Top - End - #6

The wagoner smiles at your responses.

My friends, it warms my heart that you will travel with me a little longer.The festival will last all week, so you will have many opportunities to enjoy it.

We will be staying at the Gaudy Griffin. The woman who runs her is from Nochre and will welcome any who would put their life on the line for her home.

As you draw close to the city you hear music and laughter drifting towards you from the festival grounds, and soon you are in among the tents and celebrants.

The wagoner was not lying about the people of the city. Beautiful women gaze coyly at the men on the wagon and the mighty giant walking behind it. Handsome young men smile broadly and wave at Alice. Your looks brand you as different from (and exotic to) the revelers.

The crowds here are populated mostly by humans, but nearly all other civilized races (and some less-civilized) have a presence in the jubilant throngs as well. Multiculturalism is alive and well in the city of Barchalon.

Occasionally, perhaps every hundredth face you see, someone in the crowd eyes your wagon dourly, or with suspicion. It seems at odds with the smiling multitude around you, but even the underbelly of beautiful cities can breed ugly minds in the dark places the sun cannot reach.

The Wagoner notices one particularly nasty stare. He turns to you, smiling sardonically, and shrugs.

Eh, dirty racists. A century ago, when the sire of my grandfather was a young man, they began to accept those who were not human inside the city walls. It breathed new life into our city, but some opposed the idea. Those without education feared their livelihoods would be stolen by the outsiders, and probably their women also.

He guffaws and slaps the seat beside him.

And some of them were right! Those who were too incompetent to keep a job and too boorish to keep a wife lost what they had. But it was not the death of Barchalon like the racists predicted. New blood revitalizes the body, and so it was here. Bitterness breeds bitterness though, and so today even though our city shines like a jewel, it has its dull spots.

He settles back into his seat and looks ahead, speaking now over his shoulder.

You need not worry about those fools at the Griffin. Adela services a... roguish crowd, but questionable motivations do not mean an intolerant mind. Racism is one of the few flaws Adela won't overlook in her patrons.

Spoiler: Alice
    Show
    You notice one man staring at your group twice, once when you first arrive at the festival grounds and a second time much clsoer to the city gates. His dark hood hides most of his features but is itself rather conspicuous amongst the colourful festival garb most are wearing, and his gnarled nose confirms to you that is is indeed him the second time. He eyes the wagon with suspicion and disappears quickly into the crowd when he notices you observing him back the second time.

Before long you find yourselves inside the city proper. Festive decorations abound here as well, but the crowds are much thinner than outside.

After winding down several narrowing side streets, the wagoner finally pulls on the reigns and the horses stop. The Griffin is before you, its facade lovingly maintained in comparison to the slightly run down buildings in this part of town.

The wagoner offers some parting advice before hurrying inside.

Friends, our journey together comes to a close. It has been my pleasure to travel with you. I will not forget your kindness and bravery, your strength or your intellect. I beg of you, do not get caught up in any trouble with the patrons of the Griffin. Most of them are here for a place to hide from their troubles, mundane or otherwise, and many of them are tightly wound or short of temper. Defend yourselves if you are attacked, but if a man says something untoward to Alice he doesn't need his head smashed in or a blade in his belly. I am the one who brought you here, and Adela will never forgive me if there is trouble your first night in the city.

With this, he heads inside.
    Last edited by Albub; 2014-07-15 at 12:49 PM. Reason: spelling error
    My apologies to any of the players in the 4th edition DnD games I was running. I know I vanished abruptly, you guys didn't deserve that.

7. - Top - End - #7

So many people, the sights, the sounds, the smells. It was like they'd rode into a dream, she felt almost drunk, trying to absorb everything that was getting thrown at her senses. As they rode through the festival goers she unconsciously started to tap her foot and bob her head in time with the various pools of music they passed through, noticing the curious stares of the people they passed by, she smiled and waved happily back at some of them. They passed what looked to be a couple of pigs, spitting and slowly roasting over a fire, the scent of their juices wafting through the air brought a rumble to her stomach, and she was suddenly glad that they were heading to the Inn, food suddenly sounded really good.

As they were leaving the crowds she noticed one of the men she'd seen earlier on the other side of the festival grounds, and again he was staring at them. Shuffling to the back of the wagon Alice leans over the rear board and calls with a grin to Goeban "Looks like you've got yourself a fan already Goeban!" flicking her chin in the direction she saw the hooded man.

Sliding off the back of the wagon as they stop outside the inn, she listens to the wagoner as he warns them not to go sticking swords in anyone. "Don't worry about me sir, i can look after myself." she says while holding up her hands and wiggling her fingers ominously. Quickly she makes sure she hasn't left anything on the wagon bed and then double checks her pack is tightly tied shut. The way the wagoner talked of the people the inn caters to, she didn't want any of her things to go walking off when she wasn't looking.
    DMing
    OOC / IC / Tracker / Map

8. - Top - End - #8

BlackDragon

As they entered the city, Goeban too was overwhelemed this was the largest number of people he'd every seen, his tribe had numbered less than five hands of fingers, and the temple had about 3 hands of fingers, as such he's overcome with the new sights, sounds and smells, just turning his head trying to drink it all in, his mouth slightly agape, so his response to those that smile and or wave at the group recieve a distracted head nod, maybe a feeble wave. His revelry continues like this until Alice calls out.

Quote Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
    "Looks like you've got yourself a fan already Goeban!" flicking her chin in the direction she saw the hooded man
    With this he whips his head around to try and see who she was mentioning, wishing to see who admired him so even from a distance, but is dissapointed to find nothing. So he returns to trundling along after the wagon, his spirits slightly subdued. As they pull up outside the Gaudy Griffin Goeban hears the wagons comment, cracks a smile

"Don't worry, I promise i won't kill anyone" says Goeban, cracking his knuckles through his gauntleted fists before strolling into the inn, ducking as he enters to avoid cracking his head on the doorframe.

9. - Top - End - #9

The smell of spilt ale and cooking meat assails you as you enter the Griffin. The not-inconsiderable interior is packed wall-to-wall with patrons of every variety. Some look at you warily over their drinks, but most take no notice. The wagoner has made his way across the oiled-dirt floor to the bar and is conversing with a woman, presumably Adela. She sees you entering the bar over the wagoner's shoulder and her smile broadens.

The heros of Nochre! Arturo tells me you risked your lives to protect my home. If this is true then your coin is no good here. I will of course need to be told the story of your time there, but the food, drink, and rooms will be on the house. Make yourselves comfortable, I'll send someone to take your order shortly. I'll stop by myself once my business with Arturo is concluded.

10. - Top - End - #10

Hugging her pack to her chest, Alice waits just inside the front door for the rest of her companions. As they enter she slips into the space created by Geoban's passing and weaves her way through the crowd towards the bar where their cheerful wagoner was chatting.

Lifting one hand off her pack she gives a small wave, mouthing a Hello, she smiles shyly back to the innkeeper not sure how to really reply. Looking around at their surroundings she tries to find a table with enough room for them all, failing to see anything suitable she turns back to the others "Can anyone see a place a seat us all? I can't really see much." she asks, standing on her tip toes and having another quick gaze around.
    DMing
    OOC / IC / Tracker / Map

11. - Top - End - #11

As you approach the bar some sort of commotion can be heard outside. It sounds like it might be drunkards arguing with one another but the boisterous interior of the Griffin makes it impossible to tell.

The crowd parts easily enough before Goeban. Whether they can see the look in his eyes or they're just used to giving big men their space is unclear. After the quick exchange with Adela you spot a table fairly close to the door that has become available and nobody contests you for it when you head that way.

You are beginning to suspect that it is the look in Goeban's eyes.

Once you're seated, you notice the commotion outside has stopped. For despite being closer to the door you can hear no noise drifting in from the darkened street, save for a cautious whinny from one of Arturo's horses and a crying baby.

Suddenly a woman bursts through the door, her face white with shock, crying baby swaddled in her arms. She takes a staggering step towards your table, then another, and then goes down on one knee as she seems to lose what's left of her strength.

The Griffin has gone silent, save for the baby's cries, stunned by the woman's appearance. Arturo is the first to move, heading for the woman at once.

My dear, what ails you? Please, let me help. You are safe here.

The woman tries to hold the baby out to your table, her eyes silently pleading with you. Then, her last shred of strength goes, she slumps forward onto her face, baby still cradled in her outstretched arms.

Several black feathered arrows protrude from her back. A gasp goes up from the Griffin's patrons. Many of them are no strangers to violence, but to see a young mother attacked so brutally whilst carrying her own babe is harrowing to even the hardest of hearts. The festival is supposed to be a time of joy and nurturing.

Arturo calls to you

My friends, ensure that baby is safe, then see to the woman's wounds. What kind of pig shoots a woman in the back?

He runs to the door and yells into the night

Cowards! No true citizen of Barchalon would perpetrate such crimes! You will be brought to-

An arrow lodges itself in Arturo's throat and he falls back into the Griffin. Mercifully, he is dead before he hits the floor.

A woman screams from somewhere in the Griffin and you can feel the energy of the crowd beginning to change from stunned inertia to something bordering panic. You'll have to act fast if you want to avoid any more casualties tonight.

What do you do?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Jarlis had been having a good time in this town. The festival atmosphere was, well, always good for a good time. Particularly when you had coin in your pocket. He didn't even mind the Multi-Racial nature of the town. You fought with all types in the war, and if you had any sort of prejudices going into it, you lost it quickly when you were hip deep in the swamp fighting for your lives.

So he had been in Barchalon for a few days, seeing the sights, enjoying the festival. He got a little work here and there bouncing people who got a little drunk and rowdy and patching up a few people in the wake of a scuffle brought on my enthusiasm and far too much drink. It was drifting through life, but he couldn't complain too much. Kept his stomach full and a roof over his head.

At the moment he was in the Griffon, watching the crowd, nursing his drink and waiting for his "Shift" to start. As the quiet started to settle over the street he sat forward, no longer relaxing, feeling that unconscious tension. He watched, surprised at the scene of violence as it unfolded. Or the aftermath of the violence. Not because he wasn't used to it. But mostly here, in a town where maaaaaybe once in a while he saw a drunken brawl to be broken up, he hardly expected a straight up execution of a baby's mother, usually the sort of target that people spare out of some sense of morality.

As Arturo ran to check on the street, Jarlis ran up, his training taking over as he went to the mother, checking her wounds, trying to bind them to stop the bleeding and perhaps spare her life. Combat triage, it was something he had done countless times. Even in the shock of the moment his body knew what to do as his mind was trying to catch up to what happens.

Spoiler: Mechanics!
    Show
    Going to make a heal check, because Character, it's what he'd do. DC is 15 to Stablize someone who is dying, on the off chance that she can be saved.
    (1d20)[10] + 5 for Trained, + 2 for Wisdom Mod, +2 for Combat Medic Feat.

Initiative Roll: (1d20)[1] Flat Roll, no bonuses or penalties.
    Currently sick as a dog and unable to focus properly. Will heal soon.

13. - Top - End - #13

Having settled into her seat Alice was in the process of deciding what she wanted to eat when the woman and crying baby burst through the door. Startled, she at first doesn't realize the woman is injured until she collapses onto the ground. "Oh dear gods." she says, her hand going to her mouth. Upon noticing the arrows stuck in the woman's back she gasps, tipping her chair backwards as she springs to her feet in disbelief. Then as Arturo falls backward through the door her shock breaks and she reacts, quickly pulling her small staff, which looked awfully a lot like a worn, plain walking cane, free from her belt loop, as a small glass-like orb flies free from the top of her bags to settle into her spare hand.
    She scoots around the table and takes cover, pressing her back against the wall to the side of the door. Looking over at the man crouched over the downed woman and child, "Is the baby alright?" she asks before noticing him attempting to administer aid to the dying woman. "She's still breathing?!" she says amazed.
    Sitting with her back to the wall, she carefully attempts to peek around the edge of the door to see what's happening outside.

Spoiler: OOC/Rolls
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+4)[5]

Hiding by the wall next to the door - Stealth: (1d20)[14]
    To see what we're dealing with/whats out there - Perception: (1d20+9)[14]
    DMing
    OOC / IC / Tracker / Map

14. - Top - End - #14

Kobold

Kye Silverscale

Sneaking from a table of strange characters and tons of ale creeps a small, silver scaled kobold. The distracted crowd acts as cover to him as he silently heads closer to the door. Other adventures seem to be preparing for battle. Likewise, he does the same, quietly unsheathing his rusty daggers.

May the night have blood.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative;
    [roll0]

Stealth check;
    [roll1]

15. - Top - End - #15

Kobold

Kye Silverscale

Spoiler: Sorry!
    Show
    Initiative;
    (1d20+3)[20]

Stealth check;
    (1d20+8)[9]

16. - Top - End - #16

Show
    You see at least four men with blades drawn approaching the Griffin, none of whom are armed with a bow. Your best estimate puts them about 30 feet away. None of them appear to spot you, but you are forced to duck back inside the doorway before you can take a better look.

Spoiler: Jarlis
    Show
    You feel a fluttering pulse at the woman's throat. You work with the practiced efficiency of a professional soldier, and do your best to stabilise her condition. Before long you've done all you can do, this woman will need the attention of an experienced healer if she is to live through the night.

Adela utters a low moan as she sees Arturo fall.

Oh Aro, mi corazon. You chivalrous fool.

A low voice growls through the doorway

We're sorry about the girl and the loudmouth, but we're after that child. It's dangerous, you don't understand. Just hand it over and nobody else needs to die tonight.

Some of the crowd start to move towards the infant before Goeban fixes them with a withering glare. Quarion scoops her up and hurries to the bar.

Ma'am, I hate to make demands of you, but someone must look after this baby, and I do not think it should be someone who needs their hands free for blade work. Is there somewhere safe you can take her? I will escort you while my friends handle whomever did this.

Adela nods fiercely and turns to Jarlis

Jarlis, if the woman lives, tell her the child is safe. To find us, go to the temple of Pelor and talk to Padre Gabriel. Tell him you're a friend of Adela, and that you need to find my sister.

and to her patrons

My dear customers, follow us out the back. Everyone stay calm and quiet, we must not attract any attention.

17. - Top - End - #17

Kye, not wanting to suffer the same fate as the man he had heard called Arturo, decides to bide his time for now and see how the scene plays out before him.

Alice can hear the sound of boots on cobblestone as what sounds like a few more thugs tromp down the street towards the Griffin.

All right, if you won't bring the damn baby out we're coming in to get it.

The men Alice saw in the street make for the door and the first man in is surprised by the scene before him. You don't know what he expected, but it certainly wasn't a veteran medic patching up his quarry. He calls out to his accomplices before swinging at the nearest target.

Hey! They're harbouring the mother and trying to escape with the child!

Spoiler: Attack against Alice
    Show
    (1d20+5)[18]
    if it hits (1d6+1)[3]

Merric sees the man swing at Alice and his vision turns red. She's practically still a little girl, and while their adventure had exposed her to more than many grown men will face in their lifetime, what kind of animal swings at her before any of the other targets in the room. He hurls a dagger at the man in the doorway, which buries itself in the man's throat with a meaty thunk. The man falls without making a sound.

Spoiler: Merric attack against Thug
    Show
    [roll]1d20+5[/roll]
    Last edited by Albub; 2014-07-26 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Didn't want to spam thread with 3rd post

18. - Top - End - #18

Grunting in pain as she takes the hit from the nearest thug, shes surprised when a dagger blossoms in his throat and he drops to the floor. I don't think this lot will actually let us go she thinks to herself. Reaching around the edge of the door she yells "Leave us alone!" while simultaneously unleashing a blast a magic towards whatever is outside, before quickly moving away from the door, she didn't much like getting hit and thought she'd leave the job to those with some armor to soften the blows.

Spoiler: Rolls & Stuff
    Show

Standard Action
    Beguiling Strands (Close Blast 5) diagonally forming a square starting at H10 -> L14
    On Hit: 4 Psychic damage and pushed 3 squares.
    Attack vs Will (Thug 2): (1d20+4)[9]
    Attack vs Will (Thug 4): (1d20+4)[24]
    Attack vs Will (Barrel): (1d20+4)[20]

Move Action
    Move from G9 to E7
    DMing
    OOC / IC / Tracker / Map

19. - Top - End - #19

You hear wood splinter and a man's cry as destructive energy is funneled through the doorway and into the street. Those of you near enough to the door see the bloody ruin of the man standing behind the one in the doorway. The man in the doorway is, incredibly, unharmed by the blast.

As Alice turns to retreat into the Griffin a blade flashes through the doorway and catches her in the back. Bellowing, Goeban rushes to the door to protect his comrade, but indoors his massive blade is a hindrance. It catches on the wooden doorframe and does not land with enough force to injure its target.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Heya girl, gotta keep that staff up and knock that stuff away!" Jarlis so helpfully reminded her from his position over the fallen mother he had just treated. He seemed oddly in something of a good mood as he started moving, his spear ready as he looped down and around the guy with the rather large and apparently unwieldy looking blade.

"There's rules in war you know," he quipped almost jovially sounding, his voice soon turning into a battlecry of rage, "YOU DON'T SHOOT MOTHERS IN THE BACK!" his battlecry focusing his mind and his will as he stabbed with his longspear at a thug, and his psionic will invigorated the rather large looking fellow blocking the door.

Spoiler: MECHANICS!
    Show
    Move Action: Move down to G11.
    Standard Action: Using At-Will Power, Energizing Strike, not Augmented on Thug 3 (Because Longspears are Reach):
    Hit: (1d20+5)[17] vs AC.
    Damage: (1d10+3)[5] just plain normal damage, not fancy Psionic or anything, I stabbed him in the face, that's all. And one ally in 5 squares (Gman) gains Temporary HP equal to 1/2 my level + Charisma Modifier (3 total).

21. - Top - End - #21

Kobold

Kye scuttles - attempting to stay quiet while doing so - past Merric and under the table, hoping to use the shadows as a concealment of sorts. In a smooth and singular motion, he twists his body, closes one eye as he aims, shifts a little into position, and releases a dagger out the door.

Spoiler
    Show

Move;
    To E8
    Stealth check to hide - (1d20+8)[22]

Standard;
    At Will - Sky Flourish
    Attack - (1d20+7)[13]
    Damage - (1d4+6)[8]
    Sneak Attack if successful hide - (2d6)[7]

22. - Top - End - #22

An intricate dance of flashing steel and spraying blood takes place around the door of the Griffin. Jarlis' spear plunges into an armed thug's belly and the man's breath whooshes out of him in a soft grunt. Kye's dagger whirls out the doorway, torchlight glinting off its rusted blade. One of the toughs in the street stabs at Goeban but his mail rings contemptuously as the feeble blow is deflected aside. Merric slides into a familiar position beside Goeban's armoured bulk and lashes out, his blade bites into the neck of another foe. Then, with a roar, two more men surge into the melee. Goeban bellows as at last the giant feels the sting of enemy steel.

While this fight rages around the doorway, you can hear splintering wood coming from the wall to the left of the combat. Suddenly one of the boards is torn away and through the gap you can make out more of the thugs trying to hack their way through and create an alternate entrance.

The bowman's aim is frustrated by the presence of his comrades, and he quips through the door at Jarlis before dancing into a new position.

This isn't your war anymore soldier-boy. Your rules don't mean bug guts here. That woman deserved to die, and that baby needs to come with us.

He readies an arrow, but does not loose it.

23. - Top - End - #23

"Uh guys?" Alice says worriedly as the wall starts to splinter. "That wall's not going to last much longer" she finishes before hurrying around a few tables to keep them between herself the the hole quickly growing in the wall. She then closes he eyes for a moment and utters a few words, gesturing towards the doorway as shadows seem to lengthen and start to move unnaturally towards the enemies faces hindering their sight.

Show
    Movement
    Move from E7 to B8

Action
    Twilight Falls (Encounter) @ H10; Burst 1, Enemies only. Target square (Enemy 2) is dazed until the end of my next turn if this attack hits him.
    Attack vs Enemy 2: (1d20+5)[23] vs Will; Dazed until the end of my next turn.
    Attack vs Enemy 1: (1d20+5)[18] vs Will
    Attack vs Thug 7: (1d20+5)[25] vs Will; Crit! (Minion though )
    Damage: (1d6+4)[9] psychic damage.

Effect: The burst creates a zone that lasts until the end of your next turn. When any enemy in the zone attack a creature, the creature has partial concealment against that enemy.
    Last edited by Foodle; 2014-08-05 at 03:18 PM.
    DMing
    OOC / IC / Tracker / Map

24. - Top - End - #24

A groan goes up from the men outside the Griffin as shadows weave around their heads. The man blocking the door begins bleeding from the nose and the man to his right falls, convulsing.

A hooded figure appears behind the men hacking their way in through the wall. He casts a hateful glare at Alice and begins an incantation. A bolt of pure darkness screams toward her but when it strikes it simply dissipates around her, wreathing her in curling wisps of blackness.

With the sound of a mighty war drum divine energy bursts forth from Goeban, illuminating the man in the doorway. He raises his blade and the drum sounds again as he brings it down upon the reeling foe. This time the doorframe proves no match for the giant's strength and it splinters apart as the blade arcs into the dazed man's chest. His leather armor splits and blood sprays as the blow lands heavily, but somehow the man stays standing.

Show
    In that odd, detached way that thoughts sometimes are in the midst of something brutal and frightening, it occurs to you that the hooded man who seems to be leading these men is the one who was following the Wagon outside the city gates.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Alright, time to redeploy!" Jarlis said with a smile. "Don't say I ever left a lady in need hanging," he shot Alice a grin as he promptly ignored the enemy at the door, moving to intercept the new hole being made, mindful to step around the injured mother. Longspear in hand he brought it around to slam the business end in the face of the thug who was tearing up the wall. "Adela's been nice to me, try not to wreck her place as you die, okay?" He quipped at the thug as he struck.

Spoiler: Mechanics!
    Show
    Moves from G-11, to F-10, to E-9 to F-8, to G-7. This move does provoke an attack of opportunity from Enemy 2 (Enemy 1 has no LoS/LoE on me and wouldn't be a valid attacker), but my Mantle does give me a +2 bonus to all defenses against Opportunity Attacks.

Uses the At-Will power Energizing Strike on the appropriate Thug (Not sure if it's Thug 5 or Thug 6 who has ripped open a hole).
    Attack: (1d20+5)[12] vs AC.
    Damage: (1d10+3)[13] Damage, just damage, not psychic or anything.
    Effect: Alice will gain +3 Temporary HP.

26. - Top - End - #26

Kobold

"Uh."

Little, little Kye. He hasn't seen this much blood for a while. How does he know he's helping the right people? What if that mother was an evil woman? What if that child was some kind of spawn of the devils, whose existence would ensure an apocalypse for everyone?

Oh well, thinks little, little Kye, as a flying, rusty dagger leaves his silvered claws. This is so much fun.

Spoiler: Kye - Aim for the eyes!
    Show

Move Action;
    Shifty Maneuver;
    Close burst two - All allies shift 1 square.
    (Jarlis, Merric, Goeban)
    Stealth check to stay hidden (Kye stays in place) = (1d20+8)[21]

Standard Action;
    Sky Flourish;
    Dex vs. AC = (1d20+7)[25]
    Damage = (1d4+6)[9]
    Sneak Attack! = (2d6)[9]

Minor Action;
    Freak Out;
    Kye has thrown both DAGGER and OTHER DAGGER.
    At the realization that he now has no weapon in his hand, he take a short moment to mentally freak out.

27. - Top - End - #27

More wood splinters and the hole in the wall grows larger as Jarlis' spear stabs into the side of the breach. The thug trying to widen the gap flinches away from the blow, thanking the gods silently for his sharp reflexes.

Then, with a pained yelp, he staggers back from the ragged hole with a rusty dagger protruding from his face. As he falls his companion lunges into his place and delivers a furious kick to the damaged wall. Finally it gives and the battered boards fall into the Griffin.

The thug swings wildly at Jarlis, grunting with effort. What he lacks in finesse is made up for in strength and his sword finds its way through Jarlis' armor and lands heavily, blood welling out around the blade suddenly.

Merric stabs at the man in the doorway again, but Goeban's mighty frame interferes with his swing and the enemy manages to turn the blade aside at the last second. He sways drunkenly, bleeding from his wounds. Jarlis would recognize the signs of shock on his face.

Though his head is swimming, he knows the giant is the one who cut him and his animal instincts scream at him to fight back. He shakes his head and pours his last shreds of strength into another swing at the armoured mountain blocking his path, but his dulled senses slow his arm and the paladin swats the blow aside with a mailed fist.

The man standing next to him taunts Goeban

Hey you great bastard, you're going to let the little girl weave her trickery and cut my brother down in an unfair fight? If you want to hide in the shadows like a coward that's fine, but don't go fighting out of them.

He punctuates his taunt with a thrust into the shadowy doorway, aiming for the gloomy silhouette of Goeban, but the giant's armour is sturdy and the man's thrust is deflected.

The bowman's eyes narrow and he takes aim carefully. He's not so worried about the goon with the sword but he'd rather not hit his hooded companion. He lets fly at Jarlis, and the arrow lands in his shoulder with a dull smack. By no means a crippling wound, but the soldier can already feel the cold fire of poison working its way into his flesh.

28. - Top - End - #28

Moving across the open space between the tables, Alice hurries to a better position. They're coming from everywhere she worries to herself, shooting a quick look to the back door where the other tavern patrons escaped. Hopefully this gives us some space to act she silently prays as she sets off another blast of energy towards their assailants.

Show
    I'm unsure how the tables interact with determining cover (i'm assuming i'm free to blast over top of them).

Move
    B8 -> D6

Action
    Beguiling Strands (At-Will; Close Blast 5): Diagonally from E7 to I11, enemies only
    Thug 7 vs Will: (1d20+5)[17]
    Hood vs Will: (1d20+5)[18]
    Enemy 2 vs Will: (1d20+5)[24]; Has cover, but is granting CA (Dazed) so no penalty
    Enemy 1 vs Will: (1d20+5)[15]; Has cover
    Damage: 4 Psychic
    Effect on a Hit: Push enemies 3 squares.
    Assuming the above hit; Push Hood from I7 to J9, Enemy 2 from H10 to J10, and Enemy 1 from H11 to J11

End of Turn
    Enemy 2 is no longer dazed.
    My shadowy zone fades away.
    Last edited by Foodle; 2014-08-14 at 05:56 PM.
    DMing
    OOC / IC / Tracker / Map