1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default A ranger ability for striking [3.5] [PEACH]

At level five, once per encounter, a ranger may declare this round to be a guided strike round. At the beginning of his turn, a ranger makes a survival check. All attack rolls and damage rolls now use the survival check in place of their normal modifiers/rolls.

Flavor: Your skill in tracking has been tuned to more than lead you to your target, but lead your weapons into their flesh.

every five levels after the fifth, a ranger may use this ability an additional time per encounter.

Very new idea, what do you guys think?
    I once rolled a natural 20 on a jump check, after drinking a potion of +30 jumping, onto the back of a dragon, and did nothing productive for the rest of the f(l)ight.

Player: I'm going to make a new character, I suck at bard.
    Me: Your only saying that because you died.
    Player: So?
    Me: Everyone dies when they do stupid stuff between two rogues.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: A ranger ability for striking [3.5] [PEACH]

At low levels, this is a nice buff for damage and maybe a to-hit buff as well. At very high levels, it becomes a self-debuff unless the ranger has worked very hard to optimize the skill check.
    D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Newest: shadowcaster. Most popular: monk and fighter.

Innovative new mid-tier classes compatible with 3.x and 3.x Remix: Machinist, Shapeshifter, Avatar, Magus of Blades, Ritualist, Magician, Dawnblade, Summoner, plus 5 elemental casters!

3. - Top - End - #3

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    At low levels, this is a nice buff for damage and maybe a to-hit buff as well. At very high levels, it becomes a self-debuff unless the ranger has worked very hard to optimize the skill check.
    Your right, what if the ranger added ranger levels to survival checks?
    I once rolled a natural 20 on a jump check, after drinking a potion of +30 jumping, onto the back of a dragon, and did nothing productive for the rest of the f(l)ight.

Player: I'm going to make a new character, I suck at bard.
    Me: Your only saying that because you died.
    Player: So?
    Me: Everyone dies when they do stupid stuff between two rogues.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    You are seriously underestimating easiness with which you can get bonuses to skills. Masterwork item grants +2 for 500gp, you can get up to +20 for skill bonus squared * 100 gp - 10 times cheaper than corresponding magic weapon bonus, or cast Guidance to get another +20.

Unfortunately, this ability is broken.