Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Pirates of the Aether: OoC III

The cat is eating my burrito. She's such a sweet heart?

Old IC.

New IC

Player Name Character Race Class Speech
    Techwarrior Erin Lantin Dragonborn Human Dragon Shaman (Gold) Gold
    Wordplay Kieran Swiftsure Human Rogue Maroon
    hoverfrog Bellamy Saltfoot Strongheart Halfling Druid Blue
    PersonMan Aimari Human Emberhaunt Red
    Malak'ai Olesja Telamis Fire elf Fact1/Swash3/Rogue1 Purple
    Belgareth Khorach Hellbred Warmage Bold Red
    Tibalt LastHorizon Kalden Illumian Paladin of Freedom
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-07-25 at 07:49 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork, Avatar of PC-dom, and Slayer of the Internet.
    Extended sig with homebrew/handbookMitzi the Paladin by Ceika
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Pirates of the Aether: OoC III

I'll be using roman numerals, because I need to explain something so this post has 10 letters from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoverfrog View Post
    Great synopsis. Bellamy is certainly fifth level.

Our options as I see them:

Short term objectives:
    1. Fix the ship.
      • Get parts from the dock.
      • Retrieve raw materials from the forest.
      • Find engineers/experts to work on the ship.
      • Explore the ritual to see if it is viable even as a last resort.
    2. Retrieve Doctor Tewden's "ancient engine".
      • Find out what it is.
      • Find out where it is.
      • Maybe explore Doctor Tewden's house for answers.
      • Can we use this ancient engine for the Lady's Gambit?
    3. Deal with the Azurin.
      • What exactly do they want with us?
      • What are we willing to do for their help?
      • What will their help cost us?

Medium term objectives:
    1. Lift Melanie's curse.
      • What is the nature of the curse?
      • What does it do?
      • How can we lift it?
    2. Find out more about this necromancer and kill her.
      • Who is she?
      • Is she connected to Sun Jan?
      • Where is she?

We should probably agree on a plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordplay View Post
    Well that's more or less it.

The crew of the Lady's Gambit arrived at a small island for some shore leave. At this time the officers consisted of Kieran, Maia, Arryl, Lynn, Aimari, Roc and Erin. The Captain left to discuss some business with the mayor, and was shot, for reasons never fully explained. The crew fought the local militia and escaped. Kieran Swiftsure was elected Captain. Examining the late Captain's quarters, they determined to head to the island of Serzai. They were received warmly, and told that the Captain was the princess of Serzai, who'd been on a quest/espionage mission. A second funeral is held for the former Captain, where her spirit appears. Kieran is sent to consult with an Oracle. The Oracle tells him that he is the reincarnation of the Arbiter - and her husband. Something Kieran felt his current wife would not appreciate. They learn that a powerful undead mage, Sun Jan, or the Destroyer, sought to destroy the world but was defeated by the arbiter. Unfortunately, she is returning, and it is up to the new arbiter to stop her.

The crew recruited two healers, and a dwarf engineer. They were reprovisioned by the folk of Serzai. They were sent to a distant location by the oracle. On the journey Lynn (company mage) became ill with spell plague, and died (player MIA). The crew sailed through a spellstorm, and found a desolate, windswept plain. Erin and Maia went to scout on a little craft made by the new dwarf engineer, but they crashed. They found a small group of people; Barty and his pet wight Larry, Bellamy and his pet bat Bruce, Melanie and Grym. They fought a group of demonic creatures.

Returning to the ship, Kieran sensed the presence of Sun Jan, and had a chilling discussion with her, as he attempted to reason. Melanie revealed that she was an agent of the Light, sent to help Kieran with his task, and revealed incredible power.

Realising that Sun Jan was now free, the crew attempted to return to Serzai to consult with the Oracle - unfortunately they were attacked by pirates. In the fight, Maia, Rok and Arryl were either killed, or missing in action (players retired or MIA). The crew were joined by Gadashon, who'd infiltrated the pirates, and planned to kill their leader in revenge for years. After taking the pirates captive, Gadashon demanded vengeance, Melanie begged for mercy. Ultimately, Kieran agreed that the pirates would be turned over to the nearest authority. Melanie managed to salvage some treasure from the pirate ship. Kieran promoted Aimari and Barty to ship's mages, and Bellamy to First mate.

The ship badly damaged, the crew barely made it to the nearest port. Shortly after, Grym deserted (player changed character) Gadashon had some mysterious business... A giant ship of unconventional design fell out of the sky. It turned out that it was piloted by Skye, and manufactured by the ruler of the island, Doc Tewdan. Kieran went recruiting, but was caught with a charm spell by a mysterious woman. The pirates were disembarked. The crew saved Kieran, but the mysterious woman got away.

Kieran was taken to Doctor Tewden, and was asked by the Doctor to fetch an ancient engine from the surface. A plague of wights broke out, and began destroying or turning everyone on the island. Kieran and Skye escaped. Aimari fought the wights, and underwent a strange transformation. Melanie fought a mysterious woman, and was cursed.

Eventually, the crew escaped, though Gadashon, Skye (players retired or MIA) and Barty (promoted to DM) were all MIA.

The damage to the ship proved too much, and the ship was left dead in the aether, within sight of the ruined island. Kieran sent Erin, Bellamy and Bruce to look for Barty or other survivors. Meanwhile, wights somehow got aboard and killed some of the crew. Erin and Bellamy fought some wights, and brought back some survivors. Melanie has not been seen for some time... (player MIA)

Meanwhile, a strange ship has approached, with an urgent request... the ship is dead in the aether, and Kieran does not know whom to trust...
    Quote Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post
    Game so far:

We land at some island for something. Captain goes somewhere, gets shot and dies while giving us a letter. We leave, as we escape some guards jump onto our ship and die horribly. Then we go to Serazi, the party splits up some, Roc reveals his secret, Erin researches, we learn that our captain was their princess and Kieran is the Chosen One Dude. We go somewhere else, there's a thing in the sands and we go closer, find the new PCs on the surface and then there's a storm. Then we fight pirates. Then we got to this place and tried to get repairs before the Wightpocalypse erupted from the catacombs.

I don't remember what our mid-term goal is, though. I think we're going to somewhere to see someone?
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello. I'll update my subscriptions accordingly. Thanks Snowbluff!
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

Raif Clearsight, Human Cleric, A Thorn in the Hand.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=420661

Kieran Swiftsure, Human Rogue, Pirates of the Aether.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=422092

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

As is, IC I'm pretty sure I'm still waiting for the incarnum chick to respond to Erin's. "I go where he goes" speech.

5. - Top - End - #5

I'll work on it next. I'm in a PF session right now. The fighter is murdering innocent plague victims. :l

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll work on it next. I'm in a PF session right now. The fighter is murdering innocent plague victims. :l
    Kill him... Or infect him, which ever will be more fun .

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Can we get an ic thread link up in here please?
    Spoiler: Extradimensional Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Sir Cowabunga of Clubs and Servant to the Radical Throne

My off days are Sun-Mon. Do not expect posts on these days

8. - Top - End - #8

I'll post the new IC tomorrow afternoon. I have work in the morning. Old IC will be posted for now.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello everyone.
    Current status: Ran the Half Marathon. Tired now.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I now cycle 22 miles a day. If I stop posting it probably means that someone ran me off the road. Watch out for cyclists. We're squishy.

Extended signature

10. - Top - End - #10

I think it's odd to have "Yeah, that's basically it" in the first of our two recap quotes, even if it does make sense to put the shorter version beneath the longer one.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

11. - Top - End - #11

Well, consider what you just said, I probably should not change it.

May I have an updated table of players?

Also, are there any preparations you guys want to make before heading back down?

As for the new players, welcome, and I'll introduced you guys soon.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-06-28 at 06:00 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

As requested:

Player Name Character Race Class Speech
    Techwarrior Erin Lantin Dragonborn Human Dragon Shaman (Gold) Gold
    Wordplay Kieran Swiftsure Human Rogue Maroon
    hoverfrog Bellamy Saltfoot Strongheart Halfling Druid Blue
    PersonMan Aimari Human Emberhaunt Red
    Malak'ai Olesja Telamis Fire elf Fact1/Swash3/Rogue1 Purple
    Belgareth Khorach Hellbred Warmage Bold Red
    Tibalt LastHorizon Kalden Illumian Paladin of Freedom
    Last edited by hoverfrog; 2014-07-11 at 01:25 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I now cycle 22 miles a day. If I stop posting it probably means that someone ran me off the road. Watch out for cyclists. We're squishy.

Extended signature

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

I'll speak in Bold Red
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Olesja speaks in Normal purple.

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

15. - Top - End - #15

Just an FYI, everyone, Snow has posted the new IC very sneakily in an edit.

EDIT: Also, Aimari is no longer what she was before. This is her new sheet, and she's no longer a Wizard/Totemist.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2014-06-29 at 04:37 AM.

Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Won't you join me in the IC thread. The air is fine if you ignore the smoke and the cries from below of undead thirsting for our blood.

Also I'd like to refer you to the Guide to Play by Post Games particularly to Strawberries' analysis on why pbps die (and how to prevent it)
    Spoiler
    Show

Here's a list of the most common problem play by posts have, and some advice to how address them.

----Problem: Games tend to die because players drop out
    This is one of the most common problems, in my experience. A player stops posting for whatever reason, other people keep waiting for him/her, game dies.

Possible solution: As a player, warn others if you are going to drop out. Noone will judge someone who says “Guys, I’ve got too much on my plate, I have to quit”. This gives the DM and the other players an heads-up, as they know they shouldn’t wait for you.
    As a GM, as addressed in other parts of the guide, it’s probably helpful to establish a “maximum inactivity time”, at least during combat, which is the maximum time a player is allowed to go without posting before the dm takes control of their character or the action skips to another player. Ideally, this time should be shorter during combat, longer outside combat (as then the other players have more chances to step in).
    Also, as a GM, remember that you have the option to start recruiting again to fill the empty spots.

----Problem: Game stall because people wait for other to post.
    This may in itself have various causes:

a) people don’t post because they don’t know what to do.
    I’ve seen this happen quite a lot (and happened to myself, too). As a player, you think “Uhm, I’ve really no idea how to act in this situation, I’ll think about it for another while/ wait for someone else to take the lead”. Then people forgot, and the game dies.
    The solution: post OOC. Say that you’re stuck. For instance, say “Hey, guys, Sir McINT should know the answer to this riddle, but I’m stumped. Anyone has any ideas?” Brainstorm plans, courses of action, whatever you like. Chances are, the barbarian’s player knew the answer, and was waiting for you because he felt that it would be out of character for Mr Smashalot to say it.

Which brings me to

b) people don’t post because they think their character wouldn’ t say/do anything
    Which is fine, really. If it’s out of character for someone to act or speak, they shouldn’t. Except the other players have no way of knowing why you aren’t posting. So they’ll still wait for you, leading to the game stalling and dying.
    The solution: that’s easy, but rarely applied. If your character does nothing, post saying you are doing nothing. I. e. “Julia Introverted waits by the window, uncomfortable in the presence of the large group of people and not sure of what to say to break the ice”. This way, your character still doesn’t move or speak, but people know you (the player) have read and reacted to their posts.
    Moreover, both as a player and a GM, poke people. A lot. Either by posting in the OOC thread or by PM. PMS work wonders in cases like these.

----PBPs are slow, therefore people lose interest.

That’s not an astonishing piece of information. PBPs are slow because you have to wait for people from all around the world to post. There are timezone issues, as well as real life issue. Combat is going to take days.
    The solution. That’s not an easy one, as pbps are by nature much, much slower than real life games, but there are some things both GM and players can do.
    As a GM, beside the aforementioned time limit, you can, for instance, do some rolls yourself. For instance, rolling initiative for the players (as opposed to post “roll initiative” and wait for everyone) can save days, and free the first player to focus on the active part of combat. Same goes with spots/lsten checks. Please note than you should tell in advance to the players f you are using this system, and be sure everyone agrees.
    As a player, if you aren’t sure if/what to roll, roll all the same, and ask the DM to disregard if not relevant. This saves time as you don’t have back/forths like “Can I make a knowledge check?” “Sure” “Well, then [roll=knowledge]” “You have these info:…” This may seem a trivial exchange, but in a pbp can easily mean a day of real-time. Compare with “Can I make a knowledge check? [roll=knowledge]” ”Yes you can. You have these info:… / No, you can’t, it doesn’t apply”. Half the time, same result.

General advice

My general advice, not linked to any of the problems in particular, is to talk OOC whenever possible. Share opinions, talk about unrelated subject, whatever. Because it’s a good way to get to know your players and/or your gamemaster, and it’s always funnier to game with people you know and like than with total strangers. Moreover, there is a thing I consider of great importance: this is a forum. People can’t see your face, and can’t tell if you are enjoying yourself or you’d prefer to do something else (more combat/roleplaying/intrigue/humor. They don’t know if you’re arguing IC because your character is going to be fiercely opposed to a course of action, but you think it’s a great idea, or if it’s you as a player that think the idea is stupid. The only way you have to let them know if to post OOC. Feedback (both from players to the GM and vice-versa and between players) is a fundamental aid in having successful pbps.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Would if I could :)
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig

18. - Top - End - #18

I'm still not sure where Aimari is / is supposed to be.

I could post with her, if there had been any way for her to get the message that Kieran's looking for her, but IIRC nobody was told who we can say told her off-screen, so...

19. - Top - End - #19

You can pretty much be anywhere at this point.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I assume the lack of posting is something related to the 4th of July weekend. Who would have thought that a 1996 Will Smith\Jeff Goldblum film would be so popular
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

No, no, no, its the Tom cruise movie that everyone likes :)
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Forgot to subscribe to this, and missed the new IC thread - my apologies.

To our new shipmates - welcome aboard.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

Raif Clearsight, Human Cleric, A Thorn in the Hand.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=420661

Kieran Swiftsure, Human Rogue, Pirates of the Aether.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=422092

23. - Top - End - #23

This is pretty late (I forgot it myself until she had to speak), but Aimari speaks in red since her transformation/rebirth.

24. - Top - End - #24

OKay good. I was close to moving everyone onto the service and hoping you were alright.

25. - Top - End - #25

Alright, sorry for the wait guys.

Make sure you're all leveled and prepped for the next adventure... the Aerodome!
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-07-16 at 09:29 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

I'm assuming the new guys will be inside the aerodome?
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig

27. - Top - End - #27

Hush hush...

welcome to pirates

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

What is the weather like at the moment? Now I'm at the heady level to cast third level spells I'm seriously itching to Call Lightning on some undead. The extra damage would be wonderful.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by hoverfrog View Post
    What is the weather like at the moment? Now I'm at the heady level to cast third level spells I'm seriously itching to Call Lightning on some undead. The extra damage would be wonderful.
    There are a couple of clouds. Very sunny.

The Aerodome has an actual dome, so it might not be too good, IIRC.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Snow, is Olesja already on the ship, or is she going to be one of the fateful few the crew rescue on the salvage mission?