New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Raeus-Sins of the Fathers IC

7th day of Gladrius, X302 ACM

The world of Raeus is a vast world, and from all corners of creation rumors have been rushing around. Some in the West are saying that the Alaen Remnant has been mobilizing its military, and many believe they may try to retake the lands held by the Forest Consortium; however the more cynical mortals believe Alaen's ambitions are on a much larger scale.

There are more rumors that a small war has erupted in Altanara between the government and a rebel faction who claim to be led by a prophet of Luxus Sol. Of course it is obvious that Hydra is the one ordering the government to crack down on the rebellious zealots, but nobody is sure why.

A rumor that hits close to home is the frightened whispers that the mysterious Butcher of Truth and Lies has been spotted near the Desert of Black Glass, and has been leaving a trial of bodies in his wake.

Even darker rumors have come to shore, saying that some believe the Tear is growing larger, and those who believe these rumors fear what this omen signals.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    However none of this weighs upon your mind too heavily, as you have just arrived in Fortis, one of the many fortress cities in the United Kingdoms Coalition. You have came at the behest of Lord Ares, who has put out requests for people brave enough to adventure into the Desert of Black Glass, promising great rewards for those who succeed. After being weeks of being personally vetted by Lord Ares' chief adviser, Acela Elvakin, you and five others have been summoned in front of Lord Ares.

You now stand before him, and he appears to be older human, most likely in his mid fifties. However he is powerfully built and looks as if he could still best a man half his age. He sits before you on his throne, cloaked in a majestic purple robe hemmed with what appears to be white fur and with a red swords embroidered throughout it. However you notice beneath this robe lies what appears to be heavy full-plate, which faintly shimmers every so often. Beside him are two knights in steel armor, both holding spears at their sides.

The throne room is a fairly plain stone throne room, decorated with a golden throne and a long red carpet, which you now stand on, bowing.

Lord Ares now motions for you to rise and says in a kind but stern voice, "Congratulations, you have all been chosen by Lady Acela out of all the applicants to journey out to the Desert of Black Glass in my name and go to where I believe a great Second Age relic is hidden. According to a source I met long ago, there is a particular oasis in the desert which hides a small relic, which may lead to a wondrous cache of relics. If you succeed in finding this relic, I shall reward you handsomely. I wish you the best of luck in your journey, and while they may not watch Raeus anymore, may the gods protect you. Now do any of you have any questions for me?"
    Last edited by ChaosArchon; 2014-06-28 at 01:46 AM.
    Lu'ciel, First Age Sorcerer-King of the Unconquered Sun avatar by linkele. many thanks to the person

Extended List of Games I'm in or GM'ing

My homebrew setting: Raeus

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Raeus-Sins of the Fathers IC

Standing literally head and shoulders above the rest, the half-giant Loramar's eyes narrowed both in concentration and concern. This job had been short on details to begin with,but that made sense when it was just rumors and a chance to get the job. Now however the group had been assembled and they were setting off on a undoubtedly dangerous journey into a harsh land and details were still...lacking. Loramar turned his massive head slightly bringing his gaze fully to bear ontheman sitting on the throne:

"Lord Ares, I would like to thank you for the honor of being chosen, however I would like to ask a series of questions to better prepare us for our mission. First, who is this source and how trustworthy are they? Second is there any information on the likely details of the relic, such as it's size or its appearance. Are we looking for a literal key to a trove or is the relic itself likely to have powers of its own? Finally are we in possession of any maps or directions as to the exact location of the oasis?"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

A handsome young man stands, hand still over his heart, a broad grin still on his face. Just as he opens his mouth, the half-giant among them speaks, forcing Mel to take a backseat. Instead, he takes the chance to observe the others who had been selected along with him.

Among them is a Tengu and a half-elf, both of whom seem to be dressed similarly. Another, a Cynean whose equipment belied brains that surpassed the already impressive brawn, stands close to a kval that appears miniscule in comparison, who seems far too acrobatic for his own good. Each and every one of these people exudes a number of faint, magical auras from the various trinkets that adorn their bodies. For a moment, Mel feels his eidolon stir in amusement. Yes, this will be most interesting indeed. Finally, his eyes settle on the man who had begun to speak, a large man whose sword immediately sets the hairs on Mel's neck on end. Now that's curious, he thinks to himself as he studies the blade, trying to place its arcane details but not quite figuring out just what was wrong with it. Or perhaps just what was right with it. In a moment of brief obsession, the whispers that swirl within the summoner's mind grew to a murmur, and with a conscious effort he suppresses them again.

When the man finishes speaking, Mel raises his hand from his breast. "In addition, Lordship," he chimes in, "will we be accompanied by any others on this journey? Noncombatants specifically? Architects or geologists, perhaps?" Beneath his shroud, Mel's voice rasps against his facial guard, mixing into his external voice in a haunting harmony that only he could hear.
    Last edited by OhMyGodImOnFire; 2014-06-28 at 11:53 AM.
    Caution: Deviance Ahead.
    Sarcasm. Sincerity. Nitpick.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Next to Loramar, in sharp contrast to his imposing height, stood a lean little man. Brown skinned, haired, and eyed, with an oddness about his features that wasn't quite placeable, he stood in a carefully neutral posture while he awaited Lord Ares' response. There was a time for his usual cheek, he thought, and this was not one of them.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Lord Ares listens to two of the party speak and upon seeing that they have finished says,"Of course I am not sending you on a fools errand, if there's anything I learned when I myself journeyed across the world it is that reliable information is paramount to such ventures. In that light, I am in possession of a map," which he motions to one of the knights beside him to go and presumably fetch it,"which is keyed to the relic key and will guide you to the oasis. As for whether this "key" is literally a key or something else, I must profess I do not know beyond that it is said to be about the size of a small-sized dagger if that helps. Furthermore I shall be sending an archivist with you is fluent in the languages of the nomads in the desert, but more importantly knows much about Second Age relics, and should be able to help identify the key once you all arrive at the oasis." he then says,"It goes without saying that this archivist is a valued member of the city and I would appreciate her safe return."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    changed the size of the key, realized it would have been to big :P

Spoiler: @OhMyGodImOnFire
    Show
    By the way you would notice that the armor Lord Ares is radiating a strong magical aura, you would have noticed this since you came in.
    Last edited by ChaosArchon; 2014-06-28 at 01:30 PM.
    Lu'ciel, First Age Sorcerer-King of the Unconquered Sun avatar by linkele. many thanks to the person

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aivor simply stood and watched. The soft-beaks seemed to have what words needed speaking under control. Now was not the time to yapper like nestlings seeking the attention of their mother. The Path bade him watch, so he did.

He blinked.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

When Bloom first heard about the journey he couldn't believe his ears. It is almost too good to be true. He would be able to go to the desert and get a grand start on his new garden, he would get handsomely paid and most importantly he would gain allies in this new country.

--------------------------------

Bloom discretely glanced at what had been chosen to be joining him on the journey.
    He was suprised when the half-giant spoke. His experience with that kind was well fairly limited but they tended to be very straight forward, strong and easy to manipulate. This one's words was interesting though, as it proved him having some bricks to move despite his appearance. Dangerous combination. And something was weird with that blade.
    The synthetist's words suggested that he had tried something similar to this before. That could prove useful. He tried to remember what he knew about magic-scarred.
    Bloom found it very hard to read the half-elf. So neutral.

Thank you for chosing me for the journey mylord. I am most honored and will not fail you! he says subtlety sweet talking the lord before asking I will have to ask. How handsome is the reward? and will you be providing supplies such as rations, water and clothing for the journey?

Spoiler
    Show
    Note that Bloom is entirely covered in loose cloth. The only visible part of him is his yellow catlike eyes, his hands are way too big for his small size. His tail is currently around his waist.
    I have no idea which race Guard is playing and waiting for Kasperfage to make his post before Bloom analyse him.
    Either to fire or chaos. I obviously don't know anything about magic-scarred. How much would bloom know? knowledge(local) assuming Mael'gon is a humanoid (1d20+15)[18]
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2014-06-29 at 01:57 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Mel nods, happy for the additional information. There still clearly wasn't total transparency, but for him to push someone of such power for answers would not be an ideal course of action. He hides his disappointment at not being able to make use of the various languages he had accrued over the years. But what did you expect, he thinks to himself, more than half of what you know you learned for the sole purpose of speaking to Outsiders, not some nomads. At the mention of keeping the archivist safe, the summoner bows. "Rest assured," he replies, "we shall do our utmost to maintain her wellbeing."

In the meantime, he fixes his attention on Lord Ares's armor, focusing on the heavy magic that it was giving off, curious about its intricacies. It was probably beyond his level of expertise, but trying never hurt anybody. Except me, he thinks wryly, scars throbbing at the memory of his time with the Alaen Remnant.

Spoiler: ChaosArchon
    Show
    Attempting to identify the school of magic and particulars of the item:

Knowledge (Arcana): (1d20+13)[22]
    Spellcraft: (1d20+13)[22]

Spoiler: Sønderjye
    Show
    He's technically just a human who's been mutilated and mutated by magic. He's got no special racial talents aside from mental boosts, physical impediments, affinity for magic, and darkvision. However, he IS currently in disguise as a young, handsome human male, so that's all you would see, unless you could see through the Hat of Disguise.
    Last edited by OhMyGodImOnFire; 2014-06-29 at 11:24 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

"Of course you will be provided with for rations and water on this journey although clothing will be up to you I'm afraid, and as to rewards when you return successfully you shall be granted one boon from me, in addition to 10,000 gold pieces each. Does this sound favorable to you all?" Lord Ares says in the same firm but kind tone.

Show
    You can detect a strong strong evocation enchantment as well as a moderate transmutation enchantment, however you are not able to discern their effects.
    Last edited by ChaosArchon; 2014-06-29 at 04:39 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Loramar nodded at the answers and questions that had been exchanged following his initial inquiries. He takes a brief look at his assembled companions they seem rather...small to him. Still that was true of most entities Loramar had met,so he owuld think nothing of it. The half-giant was reasonably certain that there was a fair amount of magic all over each member of the group, but he had not yet attempted to Detect it, that could come later...after the audience.

"I find this proposition to be reasonable and as such I agree to this expedition."

The half-giant considered saying more but decided against it, he was on unfamiliar ground in an unfamiliar land, best not to overextend.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Gaius finally spoke up. With a hint of a grin at the corner of his mouth, he motioned to the Half-Giant that towered next to him. "What he said, your Lordship. His grin finally broke, and he relaxed a touch, as he paused for a very brief moment. "I'll go along, ten thousand's a princely sum. And I'll keep your scholar safe; after all I seem to be in very capable company. He had sized up the rest of the motley crew, and each of them had the look of mages about them. Gaius had a few little tricks of his own, to be sure, but he had seen what a real mage could do, and it made him much more confident about going with this expedition. None of the common sellswords or adventure-seekers in this crowd, to be sure.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Powerful magicks. Mel furrows his brow in frustration - the level of intricacy cast upon the armor really was too much for him. At least he was able to find out a little more, albeit only the schools of magic that were cast upon the lord's armor. "Indeed," he agrees, "ten thousand is a handsome reward. Do you expect anything beyond discovery of a cache, such as the recovery of specific items? If the cache is too large, or contains items too large to practically transport, what then?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

"For right now all I expect of you all is to recover the key and return the archivist back to Fortis safely. After you return we can talk of sending you all to recover the cache, as the information I have received indicated the key and the cache are not in the same place, and we have no leads to where this vault of relics may be, which is why we believe the key to be of such import as it may lead to the other relics." replies Lord Are, and as he says this the knight returns with what appears to be an ancient scroll. "Ah and here is the map which will aid you in finding the key. It shows the region where we are currently in, as well as an arrow which points to where the key is presumed to be."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Iska decides after listening to what everybody has said so far that he'd rise and speak, but remains silent as he is amazed by the size of this Half-Giant, standing nearly a head taller it is one of the largest creature's, that is not trying to eat him, that he has ever seen.
    "This journey just might be more fun than i thought" He thinks to himself with a small grin, which might have been noticeable if his faces could present such small emotions.

He does a small bow as he says to Lord Ares "Sounds like a very fair deal my lord, i'd be honored to carry out the task"

Shortly after he shifts around his weight to sit down again, but before doing so he looks around for the smaller party member who was nearby before, to be sure not to accidentally sit on him.
    Last edited by kasperfage; 2014-06-30 at 10:11 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

"It seems as if all you are in agreement of your quest. You may all go now, you can have one day to tie up any business you have in Fortis and then the following morning you shall all meet the archivist at the city gate. From there you will begin your quest." says Lord Ares.

Show
    If you guys have anything to do in the city, you can RP it such as going to the bars and gathering info about the desert or going to stores to by scrolls or something like that. Otherwise we'll skip to Day 9

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

I am going to get some clothing for the desert. I suggest you do the same Bloom says with a smooth voice exiting the castle(or whereever the lord spends his day), before going to the bazaar to buy stuff.

He will looks around for general information on the desert and chat with some herbalist about the plants in the oasis. In exchange for good information he will suggest bringing back some plants.

Spoiler
    Show
    Outfit, Hot Weather 8 gp
    Diplomacy for gather information (1d20+16)[27]
    Also diplomacy(if needed) to make the deal with the herbalist (1d20+16)[21]
    Also I can RP if anybody wants to but personally I don't feel a need.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2014-06-30 at 12:32 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Mel goes around the town asking people, gathering info from anyone he can and a couple of things pop up a lot. One is rumor that Lord Ares used to be a warlord in the Sons of Suus kingdom but fled with Lady Acela for unknown reasons a few years before Rhak Rez'hin came to power. You also hear rumors that Lord Ares and Lady Acela, along with four other people, used to travel around Raeus battling fierce monsters and recovering priceless treasures, although of course they seem to be retired now. You also hear more rumors that the Butcher of Truth and Lies is believed to be near the border of the UKC after another town was discovered devoid of all life and all the buildings burnt to their structures, the corpses having been moved into an 8 sided cross, the symbol of Lelor’Kaal.

When you mention the desert many people quickly turn pale, calling it a place of death. Others, however, tell you that unless you anger the nomads or go into the areas marked by what appears to be black glass, you will be fine. However there are some dangers that still remain such as hordes of wild dogs and other wild animals which are known to prowl across the desert.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bloom meets with an herbalist named Angela who tells him that very little grows in the desert, except for a plant known as the Obsidian Rose. It is known to be useful in recreating a particularly potent poison, as well as its antivenom but is extremely hard to collect. It has an odd affect which mystifies herbalists, as unless it is stored in a lead bag, it will bring death to its collector in a matter of days.

While Angela is honored by your offer to help her, she says she has no need of any Obsidian Rose, however she smiles brightly at you and says you can come by anytime and buy herbs for a discount, as one collector of plants to another.
    Last edited by ChaosArchon; 2014-06-30 at 01:03 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Bloom looks deep into her eyes trying to uncover if she is telling the truth. Assuming she isn't lying(or he thinks that she isn't lying) he will ask how to dig up and handle the rose. He suggest he need a special shovel?

Spoiler
    Show
    Ì assume Bloom learned about the same as Mel from the gather information check.
    Sense motive: (1d20+5)[8]
    knowledge(nature) to know what he need to buy to replant the rose, taking ten for 27
    The gardenbag will likely need sand. I assume it can emulate sun, temperature and water.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Angela replies, "Well I suppose you would treat it just as you would any plant, although the rose is much hardier due to it out competing every other plant in the desert so it can handle a bit of rough travels. From what I know it requires very little water but quite a bit of sunlight. As for soil, sand seems the most reasonable solution although nobody ever tried planting it in dirt, maybe it would survive there too but who knows. Let's see am I forgetting anything else? Hmmm... oh and the lead bag is important if you value your life, that's really important!" she says in a cheerful way, it is clear she is quite intelligent but the Obsidian Rose is not a plant she regularly deals with.

Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    As far as you can tell she is telling the truth
    Last edited by ChaosArchon; 2014-06-30 at 02:32 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Aivor spends the early hours shopping for clothes that'll help alleviate heat and accomodate his feathers, which proves to be a not entirely easy task. Afterwards, he scouts out the city for a quiet area, where he sits down to meditate on the approaching journey. He sits unmoving for the rest of the day.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Iska remains sturdying with his alembic for the remainder of the day

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Gaius gathers a backpack full of supplies, nothing out of the ordinary. Almost on a whim, he purchases a blank notebook and some charcoal sticks.

Spoiler
    Show

Myth-Weavers appears to be down, or at any rate I can't connect to it. I will update his character sheet as soon as I can.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

9th day of Gladrius, X302 ACM

You all arrive at the eastern gate to the city when the sun is at its apex in the sky, shining high above all; while it used to be a symbol that once that gods had favored the mortals, it now serves as a reminder of the destruction that would be wrought if the mortals began an all-out war once again.

While at the gate you all take in the steel walls, the size of which dwarfs even mature dragons, that form the main defender of Fortis against would-be invaders, it's sentry nests are high above the ground, each stationed by a group of mages ready to unleash ice, earth, and flame on those who would seek to lay siege to a stronghold of the United Kingdoms Coalition.

You all wait for about thirty minutes without seeing either Loramar or the archivist who will be joining you. However you gradually begin to notice a group of strange beasts coming forward towards you, they appear to be horses save that they have two humps on their backs, and seem rather gangly in comparison to the warhorses some of you may have rode at one point. Beside these beasts is a woman who looked no older than twenty and three years of age, dressed in a simple white travelling cloak and wearing thin, emerald glasses.

As she approaches you can hear her saying to all of you gathered at the gate in an apologetic tone, "I am so sorry I'm late, I woke up too late and then I realized I forgot to pack and the camels, oh say hi Joe and Frank, needed to be saddled and and... " she trails off and then regains her composure,"Sorry, I haven't introduced myself, my name is Adrestia and I'll be joining you in your trek across the Desert of Black Glass to act as your translator and analyze any relics or other ancient curios we may come across."

Now that she's finally much closer you can see that underneath her travelling cloak is what appears to be mithril chain-armor, along with what appears to be a short dagger. She appears to be about five feet, six inches high, and quite striking if human women were something you were interested in. She wears a practical pair of travel boots, dyed white. Her hair is raven-black and about shoulder-length.

She greets you all graciously, saying she looks forward to working with you all. As she greets Mel, you can see her look slightly shocked but quickly regain her composure again and give Mel the same warm greeting she extended to the rest of the party. After exchanging pleasantries she says, "Well I suppose we shall be off huh, now begins our adventures," she says with a slight giggle.

Show
    Mel you can detect a moderate magical aura emanating from Adrestia's glasses.
    Last edited by ChaosArchon; 2014-07-02 at 11:28 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Loramar is usually very punctual, unfortunately he could at times be so focused on a certain thing that he forgrts to sleep at a sensible hour. On this particular night the half-giant had managed to find a library filled with books he had, mostly, never read before. The magus was so focused on his reading that he didn't notice when sleep snuck upon and ambushed him. Needless to say he found himself waking up far later than he should. Loramar ran back to the inn where he kept those things not currently on his person and then rushed to the rendezvous point hoping he wouldn't be too late. Naturally this meant he failed to properly prepare for his journey into the desert, but perhaps what nomads they met would be willing to trade with the Iceblade.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

As the archivist approaches, Mel takes note of aspects of her personality. Fairly easygoing, punctuality potentially an issue. Rambles easily. Seems attached to her mounts. Slightly ditzy, but eager. Gorgeous facial features. That last thought came unbidden to his mind, and Mel could feel himself blush as Voll Dunkelheit stirs in amusement. Perhaps as a result of his own facial disfiguration, Mel had always been attracted to beautiful faces, more so than any other part of the female anatomy. Observing Adrestia's reaction, Mel tips his hat almost imperceptibly at her, acknowledging her discovery. Glasses of True Seeing. Unsurprising for one who seeks knowledge. "Pleasure to make your acquaintance, Lady Adrestia," he replies, bowing. "Actually, I believe it is high time we made proper introductions," Mel continues, realizing that, until now, none of the party had properly acquainted themselves. "I am Mael'gon IV, summoner. I hail from the Alaen Remnant, having travelled through many territories before ending up here. To make it easier for everyone, you may call me Mel."

"As for your tardiness, milady, I'm sure none here are inconvenienced," he says. Seeing their Half-Giant friend lumbering toward them, he adds, "In fact, you seem to have been bested on that front."
    Last edited by OhMyGodImOnFire; 2014-07-02 at 09:56 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

The fact that Bloom didn't sense any lies in Angela's voice made him more suspecious. He couldn't understand why she was being so nice to him but decided to play along. Thanks for all the advice Bloom says to her However I have another idea for transporting rose other than a lead bag. I need bat guano, weak epoxy and pulverized lead He then adds with his most charming smile You mentioned something about a discount..

Spoiler
    Show
    To not delay the game by RP'ing the purchuase I make a diplomacy roll and you can just say how much you feel she would go down in price (1d20+16)[32]. Original price would be 35 gp.
    Also I will be buying 10 more rations. Just in case.

------------------------------------------------------

Bloom mentally shakes his head when he sees his allies outfits. Preparation and not trusting anyone is the key to survival. These guys wouldn't last a day in Torsa.

He does a quick analyse of their guide but one thing strikes him as contradictiveWhy is she apologizing? Why act as if it wasn't intentional? Bloom thinks, believing that their guide came late to prove her status. Well I can play that game too.
    One Bloom disappears and another Bloom walks out from behind one of Iska's massive legs. He makes a gracefull bow before speaking It is indeed our pleasure Adrestia and don't worry about the delay. The rising sun over Fortis isn't an unpleasant view. You can call me Bloom Since it would draw attention to the fact that he didn't say anything else about him he quickly asks Living in the desert, have you any experience that could help me find the famous Obsidian Rose? While speaking he takes a long glace at her equiptment.
    And nice to meet you Joe and Frank he says to his likely future meal.

Spoiler
    Show
    Appraising her equiptment (1d20+10)[18]
    Sense motive motive to see if she is lying (1d20+5)[11]. Note that he will think that she is lying even if the check proves otherwise.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2014-07-03 at 09:23 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

"...Pleased to make your acquaintance, miss. The name's Gaius; long story short, I put arrows wherever they're needed." Gaius was somewhat taken aback by their expert's demeanor. Absent-minded? Ditzy? He just hoped she wouldn't get them into trouble down the road with that rambling tendency of hers.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Loramar was pleased to see he was not so tardy as to miss the party. Still the half-giant was concerned, he was lacking in proper desert related supplies a certain, possibly deadly, detriment to the expedition and himself.

"I apologize for the delay and must press my disadvantage. I believe I am not properly supplied for a journey into the Black Desert at present, I became..distracted during the evening. A quick trip to the nearby shops should cover it, though if we need haste I can instea hope to gather appropriate equipment from what nomads we meet"

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Geography (1d20+6)[10] to think up any specific items that would be wise to bring

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

When Mel says his full name, Adrestia shows a flash of shock and puts her hand over her heart, the traditional sign to ward off evil, and says, "You share a name with the Tyrant of the Flaming Depths... interesting." As you introduce yourselves to her she says, "Excellent, it looks like you are all really as qualified as Lady Acela says you are. Oh and Loramar don't worry about supplies, I brought enough water and food for us during our trip to the desert, and if we need more I can trade with some tribes for more supplies. Anyway, shall we depart?"

She then signals to one of the guards to open the gate and you wait while the massive steel door, slides into the ground, the earth shuddering as it does so. One can only imagine how deep a chasm must lie below the door for it to be able to fit entirely into the ground.

You then depart from Fortis, going east towards the desert. Not too much of note happens, except for a small indent involving Frank and the discovery "Joe" was actually a Josephine, and after three pretty easy days for travel you arrive at the border of the desert, where you change into any desert clothing you brought with you.

After you all are done changing you venture into the desert, heading due north-east where the map indicates the oasis lies. About an hour after crossing the border you come across a pack of small dogs who are all surrounding something, but you cannot tell what, although you do see the corpse of a horse not too far away from whatever the dogs are surrounding. As you get closer, the dogs turn around, catching your scent, and begin to growl at you. As they do, you notice they have tan fur, black noses which seem almost mushed into their faces, and tails which look curl around their backside but their most noticeable trait is their large teeth, now dripping with blood.

Show
    Roll for initiative, Knowledge (Nature) to ID them
    Last edited by ChaosArchon; 2014-07-05 at 05:40 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Aivorr had been silent during the ride. The sage was yet another soft-beak who squandered her life walking the wrong path. Along her way was knowledge, yes, but wisdom was sorely lacking. Still, she had good taste in mounts, this expidition wouldn't fail due to inadequate equipment. As he spotted the wild dogs ahead, he held up one hand in a fist, got off his mount, and pointed ahead to indicate something was coming for them. He briefly lowered his head as if in prayer, and then, with a wild "Squawk!", wrenched his sword free of its scabbard-hooks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Here's initiative: (1d20+2)[19]