New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Honor Harrington - Should I pick it up?

Oh he sticks around, a lot. And yes, he's awesome. He's basically what the conservative association pretends it is but fails badly at actually being.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Oversteegen is The Man. He's one of the principal side characters in the Saganami side-series that SotS is a prelude to, so once you get around to them you'll get plenty of him.

Similarly, if you liked Flint's work in From The Highlands and Fanatic, which it sounds like you did, you'll definitely enjoy the Torch trilogy.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Firbolg in the Playground

All right.

Almost finished Service of the sword. Next is:

- Crown
    - Shadow
    - At all cost

? You like the order?

4. - Top - End - #544

Yeah, that should be good. It's more or less chronological, so you won't get any rude spoilers, and it gives you a taste of both of the side series.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2017-01-10 at 04:10 PM.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

I haven't double checked the timeline, but that's the order I have them on my shelf.

Crown and Shadow shake things up a bit with non-Haven antagonists. To summarize the premise of Shadow of Saganami:
    Talbott Cluster: *grumble* OFS is moving in, we'll soon (low decades, probably) be forced to join the Solarian League and get economically exploited for generations to enrich the bureaucracy and megacorporations. We hate it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Manticoran Survey Ship Harvest Joy: Hey guys, we just found the 7th terminus of the Manticore Junction is here. What do you think about that?
    Talbott Cluster: *blink* *blink* *blink* HOLY CRAP THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!!!
    Solarian Office of Frontier Security: Hey! Uppity backwards non-Solarian space barbarians! Stop muscling in on our turf, it's ours!

...and the stage is set.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

6. - Top - End - #546

Meanwhile, Crown can be summarized as 'Members of 7+ different groups, with probably twice that many competing and secret agendas across them, all meet on one ostensibly neutral planet. Everyone's plans swiftly go straight to hell." Part spy thriller, part action novel, part watching the impending cataclysmic train crash of opponents who don't even know the other side or their plans exist and munching popcorn while Victor Cachat surfs the shockwave like a badass.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2017-01-10 at 05:19 PM.

7. - Top - End - #547

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    while Victor Cachat surfs the shockwave like a badass.
    Does he ever do anything not like a badass? Seems a redundant qualifier to me.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2017-01-10 at 05:23 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.

8. - Top - End - #548

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Does he ever do anything not like a badass? Seems a redundant qualifier to me.
    He was rather green before Usher got to him

9. - Top - End - #549

There's an offhand mention in Crown about how he had the 3rd-highest pain tolerance ever recorded by StateSec Academy, so there was definitely some latent badassitude in him even before then. Usher took unshaped native potential and refined it.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2017-01-10 at 07:14 PM.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    There's an offhand mention in Crown about how he had the 3rd-highest pain tolerance ever recorded by StateSec Academy, so there was definitely some latent badassitude in him even before then. Usher took unshaped native potential and refined it.
    It really is the subtle things that show just how creepy the PRH was.

11. - Top - End - #551

You crafty bastards.

You knew Oversteengen was part of the Crown series instead of the Saganami series. You saw no reason to mention that fact when i both talked about my enthusiasm regarding that character and the ordering of books i should read?!

12. - Top - End - #552
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    You crafty bastards.

You knew Oversteengen was part of the Crown series instead of the Saganami series. You saw no reason to mention that fact when i both talked about my enthusiasm regarding that character and the ordering of books i should read?!
    He's in both. Yes, he has a significant part in the first of the Torch series, but after that he's not in that area of the galaxy - he gets deployed to the Talbott quadrant, where, though a background character, he remains present.

13. - Top - End - #553

The WEB-Oversteengen debate is so damn entertaining.

I would buy a book of such debate.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The WEB-Oversteengen debate is so damn entertaining.

I would buy a book of such debate.
    Indeed. +1

15. - Top - End - #555

You crafty bastards.

It's more of a cameo than anything. He's there at the beginning, and there at the end, but isn't real relevant to the Torch books after Book 1. He's a permanent fixture in the Saganami series from Book 2 onwards, though.

16. - Top - End - #556

Seriously. Oversteengen is one massive breath of fresh air. Damn i wished we have had a character like him in War of Honor.

Every scene with him makes me want to come here to quote him.

Oversteengen: haha, you Sphynxians ate bad liars, compared to us Manticorians.
    XO: i suppose so. By the way, the political situation is screwed up because of your cousin
    Over: do you think its the place of an officer to criticise his political superiors?
    XO: come on! Tell me you agree with the government's policy!
    Over: off course i do. But then again, didnt i say we Manticorians are good liars?
    Last edited by Cikomyr; 2017-01-12 at 08:31 AM.

17. - Top - End - #557

All right. Lets make a tally of involved parties.. and subparties. So far.

- Manticore
    -- Zilwicki & co. (1)
    - Haven
    -- Ginny & Victor (2)
    - Erewhon
    -- the Imbesi Family (3)
    -- All other Erewhon factions (4)
    - the Renaissance Alliance
    -- Jessica Stein (5)
    - Solarian League
    -- the Governor of Maya (?)
    --- the Vice-Governor of Maya (6)
    ---- Capt Roszak and his crew (6+?)
    ----- Lieutenant Manson (7)
    ----- Lieutenant Palane's Amazonian Brigade of superwomen (8)
    -- Manpower (9)
    --- the Masadan Mercenaries (10)
    ---- The converted Superhumans (10?)

And perhaps more. Holy crap is this one massive cluster****.

I like Capt Roszak. He makes me think of an honest Galactic Empire officer similar to Pellaeon. He has to deal with an utterly corrupt government structure above him, and he has to deal with the inherent corrupt structure of bureaucratic politics of the Solarian League.

And yet, he seems to want to be as honest and ethics as he can pull of without endangering his career.

Maybe he will turn out to be one true *******. But until then, i kind of like him.

18. - Top - End - #558

And that's not even counting the divisions within some of those subgroups. For example, the Manticoran delegation is several agendas in itself - officially they're paying respect to Stein. Unofficially they're giving Ruth Winton practical field training in espionage. Personally, Ruth + Berry are mostly into it for the awesome vacation.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2017-01-15 at 05:50 PM.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ettin in the Playground

It is "Renaissance Association", not "Renaissance Alliance". Not a major error, but it will keep coming up, and IIRC it sometimes referred to as just "The Association", so it could get confusing.

20. - Top - End - #560

The entire Maya sector leadership, Roszak included, is a shining beacon of Solarian leadership that actually has a clue. Unfortunately, if they tried to educate their superiors about this fact they'd get either ignored or punished. Fortunately, they realize this. It's kind of funny sometimes how much they conceal from their bosses, purely because of how incompetent those bosses are.

I'm pretty sure they're just as much in the dark about this particular cluster**** as everyone else, though.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #561
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

All right. Lets make a tally of involved parties.. and subparties. So far.
    - Manticore
    -- Zilwicki & co. (1)
    Manticore's ambassador to Erewhon is also there, but as a High Ridge government appointee they, well I think you can guess what they are like.
    Also Ruth's bodyguards don't have the same objectives as Ruth and Berry (and Anton), so you might want to consider them separately.
    (Just imagine the hassle they face of having to guard one person while being seen to guard a different person.)

- Solarian League
    -- the Governor of Maya (?)
    --- the Vice-Governor of Maya (6)
    ---- Capt Roszak and his crew (6+?)
    ----- Lieutenant Manson (7)
    ----- Lieutenant Palane's Amazonian Brigade of superwomen (8)
    Orville Barregos is the name of the governor of the Maya sector. My memory says he is not actually there, just sent (some of) the others as his representatives.
    Ingemar Cassetti is the lieutenant governor, present for the funeral as Orville's representative.
    Captain Roszak actually has a small squadron of ships under his command (and present) not just one (not that it makes much difference).

Enjoy the shenanigans!
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2017-01-16 at 03:20 AM.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ettin in the Playground

Now that I think of it, everything from this point forward is immensely more comprehensible if you know the early history of the Solarian Leage, but it is given in dribs and dabs from here out. Despite constant mentions of the Final War, for example, Weber doesn't tell you what happened in the Final War until two books ago.

23. - Top - End - #563

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Now that I think of it, everything from this point forward is immensely more comprehensible if you know the early history of the Solarian Leage, but it is given in dribs and dabs from here out. Despite constant mentions of the Final War, for example, Weber doesn't tell you what happened in the Final War until two books ago.
    Not really, in my opinion. It was on Earth, it was very nasty with lots of non-military damage, and it involved genetically engineered super soldiers who earned an extremely negative reputation during the war. That's all you really need to make sense of related current events, and that much is made clear right off the bat when it becomes relevant.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #564

Yeah. The details of the Final War get shared later, but you don't need to know them to understand the plot here, only if you're the sort of person who likes worldbuilding/exploring fictional worlds. Still interesting on that scale, though, like how the aforementioned engineered supersoldiers were one of the less scary weapons deployed.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2017-01-16 at 12:37 PM.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Any progress on the Reading? And any more details about the movie or TV series?
    Blog Read and Comment! I use green for joking and Blue for sarcasm.
    Published two Kindle Books on Amazon, both are 99 cents. Ask Me about them!

My First Let's Play -- Temporary Haitus (I plan to get back to it eventually)
    (Yes, I happen to despise Game of Thrones, and the Book Series it is based on. I am Team Wight/Other. Kill all those humans!)

26. - Top - End - #566

Hehe, yhea. Maybe i should give an update.

I likd Crown of Slave. Gives me the feeling that.. something is happening. And its not offscreen between books, but actually happening as we speak. I am really curious about the upcoming dynamics developping within the Torch Kingdom. For sure, things wont remain in one big happy family forever...

Great Kaja is awesome. Cachat is awesome. Capt Rosznak is awesome. Everyone fears the shadow of Zilwicki, and that gives one hell of an ominous feel. Masadan keep being cartoon villains that you love to beat the **** out of.

Oversteengen is awesome.

The ending was a bit streched out in my taste. After the epic hostage situation at the Wages of Sin (from buildup to climax), the whole action piece conquest of Congo felt.. weak and streching the story beyond proper limit.

Oh well. On to Shadow of Saganami!!

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

So the Renaissance Association and the Renaissance Factor are totally unrelated right?
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    So the Renaissance Association and the Renaissance Factor are totally unrelated right?

The Renaissance Association is a Solarian reform party. At the time the OP is at in the series, I'm pretty sure that nothing called the Renaissance Factor has shown up.

Spoiler: Mission of Honor
    Show
    We learn in book 12 that the Renaissance Factor, an extended political movement aligned with the Renaissance Association is really the public face of the Mesan Alignment, and is being used to prepare a core star nation for the purpose of conquering the known galaxy.

29. - Top - End - #569

I am sorry if people are awaiting impatiently my opinions of Shadow of Saganami. So far, its a good book. Albeit i find the anti-annexation supporters to be a bit strawmanshish.

Thing is.. i dont have lot of time to read recently. Only before going to bed, and i happen to fall asleep damn fast recently, so its quite a snail pace.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thats ok :). Even your normal is a snail for me, i can re-read the entire main sequence in ohhh, 3 days. So your pace dosen;t bother me at either setting :p. Also which set of anti-annexation people, there's a few :p.

p.s. hope you had a good valentines day with Mr/Mrs Cikomyr :).
    Last edited by Carl; 2017-02-14 at 02:45 PM.