New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Why do people want even treasure splits?

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    That's what I'm not getting. People in this thread seem to be treating things as though melee is either on an equal or near equal footing with the casters, or utterly useless to the point of being a liability. Neither of those are what I've seen happen most games. Most games I've seen, the fighter is still contributing in most fights to where it's better to have them along than not, but are still contributing less than an equal leveled caster, and would still be more useful with the extra items than the caster would.
    You're not alone, I'm as baffled as you are. "What, you can't rewrite reality in 6 seconds like I can? You're fired, hand over your stuff so I can melt them down and buy more wands!"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    You're not alone, I'm as baffled as you are. "What, you can't rewrite reality in 6 seconds like I can? You're fired, hand over your stuff so I can melt them down and buy more wands!"
    That seems like a pretty good reason to fire someone, I think. There's a not implausible chance that a fighter is actually worth less than the share of the money they take, a significantly higher chance that they're worth less than an increased share of the money that they take, and a massively higher chance that they're worth less than another party member with reality altering abilities. Fighters aren't utterly worthless, but they're pretty bad. If they weren't, then this topic wouldn't exist.

3. - Top - End - #63

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    That seems like a pretty good reason to fire someone, I think.
    If you're approaching this from an in-universe perspective, then removing them only makes sense if there is a higher-tier class willing and able to replace them. Using the DMG population tables alone, this chance is vanishingly small, and even if you find one they could easily turn out to be a rival rather than an ally. Furthermore, in-universe, Tippy-level/do-everything spellcasters simply don't exist in most settings anyway and therefore nobody is realizing T1 potential.

If you're approaching this from a metagame perspective, then the friendship/relationship you have with the player who simply wants to be a fighter is more important than concerns of sheer efficiency or power.

So either way you approach it, there is more reason to keep them than to fire them (unless, again, you're intentionally playing in a tippy-style setting.)
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

4. - Top - End - #64
    Colossus in the Playground

If you're approaching this from a metagame perspective, then the friendship/relationship you have with the player who simply wants to be a fighter is more important than concerns of sheer efficiency or power.
    Friends don't let friends play fighters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

If you're approaching this from an in-universe perspective, then removing them only makes sense if there is a higher-tier class willing and able to replace them. Using the DMG population tables alone, this chance is vanishingly small, and even if you find one they could easily turn out to be a rival rather than an ally. Furthermore, in-universe, Tippy-level/do-everything spellcasters simply don't exist in most settings anyway and therefore nobody is realizing T1 potential.

So either way you approach it, there is more reason to keep them than to fire them (unless, again, you're intentionally playing in a tippy-style setting.)
    Really depends on the level, and once again, we run up against two issues with an inverse relationship. At low levels, the fighter is at his best, but the caster isn't that hard to find. At higher levels, an equal level caster might be trickier to find, but by this point the fighter starts verging towards actually useless, to the point that they might be worth less than the money you're giving them. Also, you can get around easier, and you have divinations of various kinds, so finding a higher level caster isn't quite as difficult as all that. As for out of game stuff, that was fine up to the point where the tier system essentially became an element of the game's mechanics.

6. - Top - End - #66

Also, you can get around easier, and you have divinations of various kinds, so finding a higher level caster isn't quite as difficult as all that.
    To quote Tippy, high-level casters get that way by being paranoid, ignoble cusses. They might even be like you, willing to fire your friends at the drop of a hat because they don't measure up to standards of utmost efficiency. Trusting someone like that to watch your back seems like a good way to end up trapped in a gem/mindraped to devotion and all your powerful magic items powering up the guy who was ruthless enough to reach even higher still.

Of course, you could go it alone. And then the wizard who is equal to you in power but also has a fighter in tow can counter all your magic while his buddy rearranges your limbs. (Your actual limbs, mind, not those of your astral duplicate.)

As for out of game stuff, that was fine up to the point where the tier system essentially became an element of the game's mechanics.
    When was that precisely? Last time I checked, even a T5 class can handle CR-appropriate challenges. Hell, there's a thread floating around about optimizing commoners to T1 levels somewhere.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

To quote Tippy, high-level casters get that way by being paranoid, ignoble cusses. They might even be like you, willing to fire your friends at the drop of a hat because they don't measure up to standards of utmost efficiency. Trusting someone like that to watch your back seems like a good way to end up trapped in a gem/mindraped to devotion and all your powerful magic items powering up the guy who was ruthless enough to reach even higher still.
    As I've said, I'm just going to not hire the guy in the first place. They literally reduce my ability to contribute by eating into my wealth by level. It's not about trust. It's about characters necessarily having their tiers written on their forehead, and the lower tier characters having extra negative effects in addition to their usual low usefulness.

Of course, you could go it alone. And then the wizard who is equal to you in power but also has a fighter in tow can counter all your magic while his buddy rearranges your limbs. (Your actual limbs, mind, not those of your astral duplicate.)
    I don't even know that you're right on that account, given that the wizard is presumably running less than half the cash that I am.

When was that precisely? Last time I checked, even a T5 class can handle CR-appropriate challenges. Hell, there's a thread floating around about optimizing commoners to T1 levels somewhere.
    It happened when I started giving cash to weaker party members on the basis of their weakness. If the tier five class can handle themselves, then I don't need to give them money. As I noted above, I don't need to argue about whether imbalance exists in the game, because imbalance is a stated and obvious premise of this fix.

8. - Top - End - #68

I don't even know that you're right on that account, given that the wizard is presumably running less than half the cash that I am.
    Why would he? The Fighter can earn wealth, slay dragons etc. too. Furthermore, I assume you're going by RAW, and WBL is per PC - going it alone won't actually make you earn any more than what is on the table, not long-term anyway.

Also, unless homebrew/custom items exist in this setting, there is a functional limit to how much you can really benefit from your wealth due to things like body slots and action economy.

As I've said, I'm just going to not hire the guy in the first place. They literally reduce my ability to contribute by eating into my wealth by level. It's not about trust. It's about characters necessarily having their tiers written on their forehead, and the lower tier characters having extra negative effects in addition to their usual low usefulness.
    It happened when I started giving cash to weaker party members on the basis of their weakness. If the tier five class can handle themselves, then I don't need to give them money. As I noted above, I don't need to argue about whether imbalance exists in the game, because imbalance is a stated and obvious premise of this fix.
    The point as I understood it was that you were pooling leftover resources you wouldn't have used anyway. Say the casters each had a couple hundred gold left - not enough for yet another wand, but enough combined to put ghost touch on the fighter's armor, that sort of thing.

There's also the economy of buffs themselves. Putting Haste and GMW on the barbarian results in greater damage than many other things the caster could be doing, and can actually be faster than putting all the enemies to sleep and then trundling over to CDG each one individually with a scythe etc.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Why would he? The Fighter can earn wealth, slay dragons etc. too. Furthermore, I assume you're going by RAW, and WBL is per PC - going it alone won't actually make you earn any more than what is on the table, not long-term anyway.
    Because you're presumably going on the same adventures. It doesn't really make much sense in game to consider stuff from the perspective of wealth by level, as you can't just assume that the dragons will spontaneously double themselves and increase in size when your party gets big enough.

Also, unless homebrew/custom items exist in this setting, there is a functional limit to how much you can really benefit from your wealth due to things like body slots and action economy.
    Not really. Body slots are a bit of a non-issue, due to the ability to stack multiple abilities on a single item, and a pretty massive number of items never touch the action economy. The quantity of wealth is rare where I can't make use of more of it.

The point as I understood it was that you were pooling leftover resources you wouldn't have used anyway. Say the casters each had a couple hundred gold left - not enough for yet another wand, but enough combined to put ghost touch on the fighter's armor, that sort of thing.
    My understanding is that the fundamental split is being altered, perhaps to something like a 60/40 or 70/30 split, obviously put in different terms in a party larger than two. If I'm just tossing out occasional gold piles that are left over, then that's probably not a big deal, but it's also unlikely to fix balance.

There's also the economy of buffs themselves. Putting Haste and GMW on the barbarian results in greater damage than many other things the caster could be doing, and can actually be faster than putting all the enemies to sleep and then trundling over to CDG each one individually with a scythe etc.
    Perhaps, but the role of buff monkey isn't one I need a particularly effective party member for. At that point, I might as well just keep the split even, or even shift the split in the caster's direction, under the assumption that I'm providing a pretty large part of the barbarian's effectiveness.

10. - Top - End - #70

My understanding is that the fundamental split is being altered, perhaps to something like a 60/40 or 70/30 split, obviously put in different terms in a party larger than two. If I'm just tossing out occasional gold piles that are left over, then that's probably not a big deal, but it's also unlikely to fix balance.
    That split wasn't my understanding. If that's the case then I agree that's too extreme.

I also agree that a smaller allocation won't "fix balance" - but that was never my goal to begin with. I know fighters are inferior and that's okay. I just don't think they're so inferior that partnering with one is actually a net negative.

Because you're presumably going on the same adventures. It doesn't really make much sense in game to consider stuff from the perspective of wealth by level, as you can't just assume that the dragons will spontaneously double themselves and increase in size when your party gets big enough.
    Actually, that's exactly what the CR system does - if you have more people in the party you have to up the XP budget and therefore the challenge. It might not mean doubling a dragon like an amoeba, but it would mean throwing in a few lizardfolk and their high priest/shaman worshiping him or something.

Not really. Body slots are a bit of a non-issue, due to the ability to stack multiple abilities on a single item, and a pretty massive number of items never touch the action economy.
    That's so (though a pretty massive number do) - though it seems to me that in-universe, crafting that many Super-Items would make you a pretty juicy target Imagine just one of your rings being worth a king's ransom after you're done piling properties onto it for instance.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

I just don't think they're so inferior that partnering with one is actually a net negative.
    I think that's part of the complaint (or well, it's at least half of mine). The 'higher tier' characters will feel annoyed like they are being robbed because someone wanted to play a fighter, which isn't a feeling you want to cultivate.

Although if you go the 'here we have Excalibur!' route, you actually may be able to pull off the 'so you technically have higher WBL' angle without causing any real concerns while giving potency to someone who could use it. Just watch out for the cleric deciding that this makes it a good moment to take weapon proficiency (longsword).
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Actually, that's exactly what the CR system does - if you have more people in the party you have to up the XP budget and therefore the challenge. It might not mean doubling a dragon like an amoeba, but it would mean throwing in a few lizardfolk and their high priest/shaman worshiping him or something.
    Perhaps, but to some extent you can't really consider that from an in game perspective. When you're choosing whether to bring a fighter along or not, it doesn't really make much sense to say that it's a good idea because you'll make more money, simply because you have more characters with you. I think that's really the problem here, that this sort of fix connects in game and out of game elements in a weird way. Also, y'know, if encounter difficulty is also assumed to calibrate with power level, then the cited wizard v. wizard/fighter encounter seems vaguely unlikely. Either the party fighter is reducing GP, or increasing CR, and in either case he has a good chance of being of net negative impact.

That's so (though a pretty massive number do) - though it seems to me that in-universe, crafting that many Super-Items would make you a pretty juicy target Imagine just one of your rings being worth a king's ransom after you're done piling properties onto it for instance.
    I suppose that makes theoretical sense, but if we're still assuming that you make more money by having more party members, you would also presumably be an even better target if you had a bunch of allies with wealth on hand. There are also some more slotless ways to use items, like various rods of metamagic, bags of holding of various kinds, ioun stones, and hell, even scrolls for spells that are best used on a situational basis out of combat (if you're worried about action cost). Also, don't forget about stuff like expensive foci, filling a spellbook, or even some varieties of calling spell. I figure there must be some level of cash having at which the marginal gain from having more is greatly reduced, but that level is pretty far up there.
    Last edited by eggynack; 2014-07-01 at 07:49 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I bring the fighter (or any other melee type) and give him an equal share because sometimes Iron Golems happen.

When I'm standing there looking at my spell list going "nope, nope, nope, nope, oh hell no (fire damage), nope" and wishing I'd memorized Tenser's Transformation and brought a dagger, that fighter is not only mighty handy to have along, but I'm glad we gave him the +3 sword so he can actually do damage. Because otherwise I'm screwed.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Elkad View Post
    I bring the fighter (or any other melee type) and give him an equal share because sometimes Iron Golems happen.

When I'm standing there looking at my spell list going "nope, nope, nope, nope, oh hell no (fire damage), nope" and wishing I'd memorized Tenser's Transformation and brought a dagger, that fighter is not only mighty handy to have along, but I'm glad we gave him the +3 sword so he can actually do damage. Because otherwise I'm screwed.
    Eh, not if you prepare spells right. Something like a summoning spell, orb, or black tentacles will work just fine against a golem. Notably, because druids have constant access to wild shape beat-stickery, an animal companion, and spontaneous summoning, they're still going to make for a better choice for a party than a fighter in this sort of situation. A cleric usually will too, on the basis of DMM persist based stabbery, though perhaps to a lesser extent.
    Last edited by eggynack; 2014-07-01 at 08:20 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

What possible thing about Tenser's Transformation isn't objectively awful? Wouldn't it be much more prudent to shoot orbs of force at the bloody thing?
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.
    Yes I know it's sarcasm. It's a joke. Pale green is for snarking
    Thread wins: 2

16. - Top - End - #76

A party where "+3 sword" is the best answer to an Iron Golem needs pity loot for each character, not just the mundanes.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Or, heck, if you just need to bypass the Golem, rather than destroying it, you could cast an image-, fog-, or invisibility-based spell and sneak away, fly out of its reach, cast Grease and walk away as it slips and slides, teleport out of its line of sight, or any of a number of other things. Most of the standard Golem varieties are not particularly threatening; they are unintelligent and tend to lack options that aren't "walk up and punch something."
    Last edited by Karnith; 2014-07-01 at 08:25 PM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

18. - Top - End - #78

Perhaps, but to some extent you can't really consider that from an in game perspective. When you're choosing whether to bring a fighter along or not, it doesn't really make much sense to say that it's a good idea because you'll make more money, simply because you have more characters with you. I think that's really the problem here, that this sort of fix connects in game and out of game elements in a weird way. Also, y'know, if encounter difficulty is also assumed to calibrate with power level, then the cited wizard v. wizard/fighter encounter seems vaguely unlikely. Either the party fighter is reducing GP, or increasing CR, and in either case he has a good chance of being of net negative impact.
    Of course it's unlikely - only 5% of encounters (IIRC) are meant to be overwhelming per the DMG after all.

And that's part of the problem with going it alone - you might not know which of those fights will be too much for you until it's too late, at which point you can use all the help you can get with escaping. And sure, that help coming in the form of another T1 class would be preferable, but that runs into the problems of trust at high levels covered previously.

I suppose that makes theoretical sense, but if we're still assuming that you make more money by having more party members, you would also presumably be an even better target if you had a bunch of allies with wealth on hand.
    This is readily offset by the greater numbers making you a collectively riskier target and thus off-putting to would-be thieves or assailants.

There are also some more slotless ways to use items, like various rods of metamagic, bags of holding of various kinds, ioun stones, and hell, even scrolls for spells that are best used on a situational basis out of combat (if you're worried about action cost). Also, don't forget about stuff like expensive foci, filling a spellbook, or even some varieties of calling spell. I figure there must be some level of cash having at which the marginal gain from having more is greatly reduced, but that level is pretty far up there.
    So long as you agree it exists, you might as well make friends now.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Of course it's unlikely - only 5% of encounters (IIRC) are meant to be overwhelming per the DMG after all.
    Well, sure, but it all kinda maths out in favor of the lone wizard, as that 5% is going to be even more overwhelming when we talk about the wizard+fighter. To some extent, a core assumption here is that all parties are going to face challenges that are of equal difficulty. It's all kinda weird.

And that's part of the problem with going it alone - you might not know which of those fights will be too much for you until it's too late, at which point you can use all the help you can get with escaping. And sure, that help coming in the form of another T1 class would be preferable, but that runs into the problems of trust at high levels covered previously.
    I don't really see what the trust issues are here. You're a guy heading on a quest, and you seek out a wizard ally instead of a fighter ally. Seems simple enough to me.

So long as you agree it exists, you might as well make friends now.
    Perhaps, though the level at which you'd actually have such funds is also the level at which the fighter is going to be most irrelevant. We're talking about shape change levels here, or at least polymorph any object levels. Typically, the only place where this is going to actually be a relevant factor is if the game is significantly over WBL for whatever reason.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ryu View Post
    What possible thing about Tenser's Transformation isn't objectively awful? Wouldn't it be much more prudent to shoot orbs of force at the bloody thing?
    Nothing. It was a terrible spell in AD&D, and it's only worse in 3x. It's the 13th level equivalent of breaking out the light crossbow. But barring orb shenanigans (the whole "instantaneous conjured magic bypasses SR" thing is rather odd, and in my experience is either house-ruled away, or those force orbs would hit his DR at least), or in a core game where he doesn't have them, a wizard is in over his head.

Black Tentacles have a sub-50% chance to slow it down for a few rounds, but they won't do any damage.

A regular summons is even worse than a fighter. Nothing on the Summon VII list is going to threaten an Iron Golem. Most of the creatures can't even hit it, get past it's DR, or both.

Yes, a CoDzilla is better than a fighter. Again, we are down to rules interpretations. Persistent Spell is in a list that says "Deities can take these feats" at the top if you are playing Core, which leaves out anyone who would be troubled by an Iron Golem. Powering Metamagic via turn attempts isn't in core at all. Druid shapeshift or Divine Power still work, but when you walk into melee range you are turning yourself into a melee class temporarily anyway. Except with less hitpoints, AC, and melee feats. And the Cleric can only do it for a few rounds.

21. - Top - End - #81

Persistent Spell is in a list that says "Deities can take these feats" at the top if you are playing Core, which leaves out anyone who would be troubled by an Iron Golem
    Persistent Spell is not in Core. SRD is not Core. That version is from Deities & Demigods, which is a 3.0 book updated to 3.5 by a booklet.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

22. - Top - End - #82
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

My adventuring groups have always functioned by taking any material loot and giving it to each person as they needed it, and selling off the rest - or feeding it to the party artificer, if available - and putting the proceeds from that as well as any liquid cash loot into the party chest. From there anyone who wants something will ask the group if it's okay to use the party gold to buy (x) item and justify it, and usually the answer is yes because nobody's going to ask for something really outlandish unless they need it.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Nothing. It was a terrible spell in AD&D, and it's only worse in 3x. It's the 13th level equivalent of breaking out the light crossbow. But barring orb shenanigans (the whole "instantaneous conjured magic bypasses SR" thing is rather odd, and in my experience is either house-ruled away, or those force orbs would hit his DR at least), or in a core game where he doesn't have them, a wizard is in over his head.

Black Tentacles have a sub-50% chance to slow it down for a few rounds, but they won't do any damage.

A regular summons is even worse than a fighter. Nothing on the Summon VII list is going to threaten an Iron Golem. Most of the creatures can't even hit it, get past it's DR, or both.
    These things aren't perfect, but they have reasonable impact. Reasonable is enough, a lot of the time. A huge elemental has the stats to bypass both the AC and DR, and playing keep away from the air is much better when you don't have a fighter weighing you down, and demanding that you actually kill stuff in a timely manner.

Yes, a CoDzilla is better than a fighter. Again, we are down to rules interpretations. Persistent Spell is in a list that says "Deities can take these feats" at the top if you are playing Core, which leaves out anyone who would be troubled by an Iron Golem. Powering Metamagic via turn attempts isn't in core at all. Druid shapeshift or Divine Power still work, but when you walk into melee range you are turning yourself into a melee class temporarily anyway. Except with less hitpoints, AC, and melee feats. And the Cleric can only do it for a few rounds.
    Druids don't have to enter combat to enter combat. Summoning and the animal companion work perfectly fine most of the time, and even in combat terms, a well built druid can out-combat a fighter on occasion. Run something like a thoon elder brain, and you can buff up and beat face, all in the same round, all while exceeding the fighter in AC, and possibly matching him in HP if you've built things in a certain way. Also, druids are spontaneously summoning oreads out of 5th level slots (ring of the beast), tossing out perfectly SR: no earthquakes like they're candy. As for persistent spell, general feats are general feats. I don't care much about core only, but that's also where fighters are at their weakest.
    Last edited by eggynack; 2014-07-01 at 09:01 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Persistent Spell is not in Core. SRD is not Core. That version is from Deities & Demigods, which is a 3.0 book updated to 3.5 by a booklet.
    So even worse then.

And my original comment up there about a +3 sword was me thinking AD&D where you needed it to damage the golem at all instead of the 3.5 DR15

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

So even worse then.
    Not really. We were necessarily outside of core just because we were using divine metamagic, and the SRD is about as close to core as you can be without being core, given its ease of accessibility.

26. - Top - End - #86

Well, sure, but it all kinda maths out in favor of the lone wizard, as that 5% is going to be even more overwhelming when we talk about the wizard+fighter
    Ah, but even more overwhelming to fight doesn't mean even more overwhelming to escape from. For example, if an overwhelming encounter starts with a foe paralyzing the wizard and dispelling his contingency, alone he is at his opponent's mercy, while if he's with the fighter the fighter can at least pick him up and run. Both situations are "overwhelming" (since the fighter is unlikely to win without your support if the encounter was above both of you to start with), but as you can see the outcome between the two situations is very different.

I don't really see what the trust issues are here. You're a guy heading on a quest, and you seek out a wizard ally instead of a fighter ally. Seems simple enough to me.
    The wizard "ally," being a wizard, can use all of your gear. As you yourself noted, the wealth value at which more gear becomes redundant is likely extraordinarily high, so this guy stands to gain quite a lot of power if he can bump you off and take your stuff.

The fighter has a lot less to gain even if he were to somehow be able to overpower you, which is also less likely to be successful - two corners of the fraud triangle (motive and opportunity) are much smaller for him.

Perhaps, though the level at which you'd actually have such funds is also the level at which the fighter is going to be most irrelevant. We're talking about shape change levels here, or at least polymorph any object levels. Typically, the only place where this is going to actually be a relevant factor is if the game is significantly over WBL for whatever reason.
    Once you get to those levels wealth starts to become irrelevant anyway (as does class - you can simply Team Solars and there is no more "fighter") so the entire distinction breaks down. Though again, aside from a Tippy-style setting this won't happen in-universe anyway or it already would have.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #87
    Bugbear in the Playground

Maybe the problem is that casters don't have to pay for a lot of their arsenal, and what they do have to pay is far too cheap?
    I mean, all 20th level Fighter get is his starter gear, all the rest he has to buy using the WBL.

Wizard wants a new spell on a level up? Pay the full research cost, otherwise all you get is ability to learn the spell and new spell slots - but not the actual spells to fill those slots; you can use them on metamagic'ed low level spells instead. Each spell might also require a lot of unique, expensive and very specific spell foci (quite heavy and bulky too boot), and you would have to pay for them, too.

Maybe even make it so that each new spell is a new Quest or even a whole campaign, with mundanes getting mundane version of it: wizard gets Flight, fighter gets Flying Carpet.
    Last edited by SinsI; 2014-07-01 at 09:37 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Ah, but even more overwhelming to fight doesn't mean even more overwhelming to escape from. For example, if an overwhelming encounter starts with a foe paralyzing the wizard and dispelling his contingency, alone he is at his opponent's mercy, while if he's with the fighter the fighter can at least pick him up and run. Both situations are "overwhelming" (since the fighter is unlikely to win without your support if the encounter was above both of you to start with), but as you can see the outcome between the two situations is very different.
    I've gotta figure that there's always the second situation, where the wizard on his own would be able to make use of his escape button spells with greater ease, while doing so with a fighter in the party could lead to his death, if you can't bring both of you for whatever reason. Wizards are often pretty good at that sort of thing.

The wizard "ally," being a wizard, can use all of your gear. As you yourself noted, the wealth value at which more gear becomes redundant is likely extraordinarily high, so this guy stands to gain quite a lot of power if he can bump you off and take your stuff.
    Eh, the fighter can always sell what he can't use, and as the thesis of the thread states, he needs the money more.

The fighter has a lot less to gain even if he were to somehow be able to overpower you, which is also less likely to be successful - two corners of the fraud triangle (motive and opportunity) are much smaller for him.
    At some point, this starts to look a lot less like a party, and a lot more like a wizard and his flunky. In any case, there's always the reasonable possibility that the threat to the earth exceeds the value of any random item stack.

Once you get to those levels wealth starts to become irrelevant anyway (as does class - you can simply Team Solars and there is no more "fighter") so the entire distinction breaks down. Though again, aside from a Tippy-style setting this won't happen in-universe anyway or it already would have.
    Then there might not actually be a point where it works out that way in a game that follows WBL. It follows logic pretty well, actually. If more money can't make you more powerful, then there's something to be said for the idea that not much else can make you significantly more powerful either. It doesn't math out perfectly, but I think the window of this being the way to go is narrow enough that it's pretty irrelevant.

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
    Wizard wants a new spell on a level up? Pay the full research cost, otherwise all you get is ability to learn the spell and new spell slots - but not the actual spells to fill those slots; you can use them on metamagic'ed low level spells instead. Each spell might also require a lot of unique, expensive and very specific spell foci (quite heavy and bulky too boot), and you would have to pay for them, too.
    It's been tried. What this creates is a hostile atmosphere that punishes players who weren't causing problems in the first place - the weaker optimizers who are less able to deal with the changes. People who make powerful characters are usually system-savvy enough to get around such restrictions none the worse for wear.

Maybe even make it so that each new spell is a new Quest or even a whole campaign, with mundanes getting mundane version of it: wizard gets Flight, fighter gets Flying Carpet.
    This isn't a terrible idea in theory, and would work in a very slow paced game where characters gain levels infrequently. In a game that runs "on schedule" with 13.3 encounters to gain a level, you don't have much more than one or two fights to spare for level-up quests before everyone is basically just grinding instead of moving the plot forward.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

These things aren't perfect, but they have reasonable impact. Reasonable is enough, a lot of the time. A huge elemental has the stats to bypass both the AC and DR, and playing keep away from the air is much better when you don't have a fighter weighing you down, and demanding that you actually kill stuff in a timely manner.

Druids don't have to enter combat to enter combat. Summoning and the animal companion work perfectly fine most of the time, and even in combat terms, a well built druid can out-combat a fighter on occasion. Run something like a thoon elder brain, and you can buff up and beat face, all in the same round, all while exceeding the fighter in AC, and possibly matching him in HP if you've built things in a certain way. Also, druids are spontaneously summoning oreads out of 5th level slots (ring of the beast), tossing out perfectly SR: no earthquakes like they're candy. As for persistent spell, general feats are general feats. I don't care much about core only, but that's also where fighters are at their weakest.
    OK, I did miss elementals. Fire can't damage it (heals it at the same time), and Air has problems getting thru the DR. Leaving Earth and Water. I don't even know what an Oread is, so I can't comment on it's stats, but it isn't core. Nor is a Thoon, whatever that is. Earthquake is 8th level, a bit above my target (I was figuring L13 characters).

Yes, the companion polar bear is still better than the fighter, at least buffed.

Sure, fighters are better non-core (and you can play a warblade then anyway), but a bog-standard unoptimized beatstick fighter should be sporting about +20 to hit at L13, even if his only adamantium weapon is a masterwork longsword that fell into the bottom of his pack and was forgotten. He'll have similar hitpoints and AC compared to the golem, and will do slightly less damage per hit (his 3rd attack just misses). No power attack, no crit-fishing, no tripping, just straight slugfest. Cast Slow Poison on him at breakfast time. Rest of the party can eat popcorn, maybe cast a single Cure Critical partway through, and it's done. If you bother to buff him at all, or if he's even vaguely optimized, he won't even need the heal.

I'm not arguing to say Fighters are tier 1 (or 3), or that the wizard isn't better the vast majority of the time. But there are specific instances where they ARE better at that one thing (mashing faces), and a good DM is going to add encounters designed to make him the star at least part of the time. Monsters with immunities, anti-magic shell, time-critical missions where you can't stop and recover spells, honor duels with the king's champion, or whatever else.

And besides, the player is probably my friend. Why would I want to be a **** and leave him out of the loot share?
    Last edited by Elkad; 2014-07-01 at 09:57 PM.