New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Conventions! Rob and Jamie's Con Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by pclips View Post
    Yeah I am fairly annoyed at the general disorganization and lack of communication on the part of Dragon*Con this year, but I am going. I will be on the EFF Track webcomics panel. I will have concerts on the concourse and on the filk track and will be in the big comedy show. I will have a table in the Hyatt for selling CDs and some of that Erf merch, including whatever "Goblin Solidarity" shirts may be left after we put up the page for web sales of those. If you're at Dragon*Con you will be able to find me.
    Cool, I'll see you there.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

Big honkin comedy concert was great. Rob rocks. Goblin t-shirts are cool, get one if you can. :)
    "That's not right, that's not even wrong."

"This is not an idea to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

Dwagon*Con 2007 was awesome. I loved the procrastination song. :)

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Thanks, Recca.

New cons added. Most notable is PhilCon in Philly, November 16. Check the first post.
    Rob Balder, Erfworld author/co-creator, and creator of PartiallyClips

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

Hey, pclips! Congrats on winning the Pegasus Award for Best Filk Song tonight!
    Baby Pink Dwagon by Dr. Bath.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dakiwiboid View Post
    Hey, pclips! Congrats on winning the Pegasus Award for Best Filk Song tonight!
    Hey thank you! I wouldn't expect a lot of folks around here to know about filk and the Pegasus Awards, so here's what dakiwiboid is talking about:

http://www.ovff.org/pegasus/winners/index.html

If you don't know filk, it's basically music by and for fans of fantasy/sf/gaming/technology/etc. At most conventions, there are groups who gather in circles to sing and play the folk music of fandom. There are often concerts and other programming related to it. Most of what I do for The Funny Music Project qualifies as filk. The Pegasus Awards are the filk community's Grammys.

Winning Best Filk Song is a high honor and I am humbled. The filk community is very grass-roots. I wrote the song for my fellow fen, and now fandom has said, "we hear you." That's why it means so much to me. Thanks, everyone.

BTW you can hear the winning song here:

http://www.tomsmithonline.com/freest...Lives_2006.mp3

You may even gain some insight into Erfworld from it.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

*snipping*

http://www.ovff.org/pegasus/winners/index.html

The Pegasus Awards are the filk community's Grammys.

Winning Best Filk Song is a high honor and I am humbled. The filk community is very grass-roots. I wrote the song for my fellow fen, and now fandom has said, "we hear you." That's why it means so much to me. Thanks, everyone.

BTW you can hear the winning song here:

http://www.tomsmithonline.com/freest...Lives_2006.mp3

HOW BOOPING COOL! Congratulations, that's awesome!

While trying to avoid sounding like an absolute fanboy, Erfworld is one of the best things on the scene, and you deserve MUCH more recognition than you've received yet. I hope it keeps coming!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

You may even gain some insight into Erfworld from it.
    Wow. I certainly learned your writing talents are not limited to comic work - that was a well-done hunk of music there. Much better than I remember hearing in the filk-halls of various cons back in the 1980s.

As for the Erfworld insight, well, it does make me think a Erfworld metaplot theory I dismissed long ago might be more in play than I thought.

Thanks for the link - it added to the day!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

Convention schedule updated for the first 10 I am sure of in 2008.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Ok, I feel like an ass hole for saying this but, why are you in Cons every weekend when you guys rarely update the comic?

Erfworld is awesome and everything, but you're just promoting it to people who will get discouraged due to a lack of updates. Why not spend a couple weekends working on the comic instead?

It's your choice, but it doesn't make much sense to me.

Proud idiotic Erfworld fan.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Hi!
    I just found out about Erfworld last weekend, at Madicon in Williamsburg, VA. I bought one of the Goblin Solidarity shirts after I saw Complains-of-Names on it. I asked the booth personnel what 'Erfworld' was, since it was the only character I didn't recognize. A five-minute indoctrination process began.

Now, I want to have a plushee dwagon . . . as soon as they make one.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gathers Scrolls View Post
    Hi!
    I just found out about Erfworld last weekend, at Madicon in Williamsburg, VA. I bought one of the Goblin Solidarity shirts after I saw Complains-of-Names on it. I asked the booth personnel what 'Erfworld' was, since it was the only character I didn't recognize. A five-minute indoctrination process began.

Now, I want to have a plushee dwagon . . . as soon as they make one.
    Heh. Join us....

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grogah View Post
    Ok, I feel like an ass hole for saying this but, why are you in Cons every weekend when you guys rarely update the comic?
    You know, I am going to play against type here and just answer that politely.

1. I have been going to as many cons as I can, since long before Erfworld began. There are more reasons for me to go that have nothing to do with Erfworld, than Erf-related ones. I have PartiallyClips, Get Nifty, The FuMP, and my own music to promote. I also enjoy fan culture, meeting and networking with my colleagues in music and webcomics, performing in concert, participating in panels and other events, etc. Cons are a part of who I am.

2. You will note that Jamie goes to almost no cons. After ConnectiCon last year, he realized that cons are a drain on him, which does affect how much of Erfworld he can draw. So going to cons became one more casualty of his insane schedule. He can't, and doesn't. If you want to meet him, Katsucon is probably your best shot this year, because it's in DC and he doesn't have to travel. I can script Erfworld when I am on the road (most scripts are written on my smartphone), and letter it when I am home, so cons have much less impact on my duties.

3. Cons help me eat and pay bills. I sell books, CDs, and merchandise at my table. Most cons turn a small profit for me. At some point there will be an Erfworld book, and then Erfworld will make money too. But for right now, I need the income from vending at cons to live. And if an Erfworld book comes out through a major publisher, it will be because of the talking that I do to the pros and my fellow creators at these conventions.

This is not even the whole picture. There are a number of other reasons why I go to this many cons. And also a lot more I could say about your post, Grogah. But let's try to at least make my new years' resolutions last until February.

Now I'm off to Genericon in Troy, NY...

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

Con schedule updated. Gonna put up a sticky about Erfworld art at Katsucon.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground

Ooh. Rob (and possibly Jamie), I just noticed you'll be at Origins. I'll be there too, volunteering at on-site reg. It was great meeting you (Rob) at Wicked Faire and I hope we bump into each other at Origins too.

(If anyone else reading this is going, feel free to say hi and tell me you saw me on the GitP forum. I look just like my avatar, sans sign but possibly with giant spider.)

If I may add my $0.02 about your con attendance... that's the way we do it too. My writer goes to lots of cons and I accompany him on a select few. It works out great. In the indie and/or web comics industry, the creators are their own best marketers - getting a third party to do it isn't very helpful.
    Last edited by Dandelion; 2008-03-19 at 08:57 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

Excellent, it was nice meeting you! I've repeated your words about Vinny on a few occasions...it's among the most meaningful compliments I have ever received, thank you. See you at Origins.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Pixie in the Playground

Wow. You're very welcome.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

Looking forward to saying `hi' at Origins.

I have shirt. Woot.

Also, hate you guys.
    might just play the wall with this mean look on my grill
    act like i'm the hater that hates you from hateville
    -
    Though I may not appear to be an actual hater, I assure you, my quiet hate for the stupid is very real, and I do have both authentic hater cred and a ballpeen hammer."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Long time reader, short time lurker. I missed you at Dragon Con last year, but look forward to finally meeting you at Origins! Must say I've greatly enjoyed your works and look forward to saying so in person.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

Must learn to teleport (flying would knacker me out due to thin sticklike geek arms, lack of feathers and inability to read maps) for to make most obsequious obeisance to your good self.

After that I would need to find warm beer and a cold woman.... hang on....
    Exploding nuns, just what everyone needs...
    Never were truer words spoken ThorFluff

21. - Top - End - #81
    Pixie in the Playground

This thread annoys the spit out of me, only because it reminds me that none of the webcomics creators visit West Coast cons. At least not the humorous webcomics creators. As usual, to East coast people, it's as if the West coast doesn't matter, and the northwest doesn't exist. Hmpf.

I don't think you guys would head out here even if your expenses were fully covered. Grr.

Don't mind me, it's not you specifically, I'm just venting.

I'm reminded of the New Yorker cover of March 29, 1976.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well at least your on the same continent.

And think of it you could do a road trip, drive across the country, see the sights and go convention hopping.

Remember "If the mountain won't go to Mohammed then Mohammed must go to the mountain"
    Exploding nuns, just what everyone needs...
    Never were truer words spoken ThorFluff

23. - Top - End - #83
    Pixie in the Playground

There are other continents?

Ah ha ha! I see, I see! You jest to make your point.

Well, fair enough. Mohamet has been to the mountain, and the other mountain, and the mountain way over there that you can barely see.

I think it's the mountain's turn.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LittlePrince View Post
    I don't think you guys would head out here even if your expenses were fully covered. Grr.
    I definitely would. I would LOVE to do a Norwescon, especially. But no West Coast con has ever specifically invited me. I have done some programming at SDCC but that's it.

Jamie, on the other hand, has been to only one in the last year, and it was because it was 10 miles from his house. I doubt he will go to any, anywhere, until we have the Erfworld book out. And at this rate, that's early 2009.

You can talk to con organizers and suggest guests, and even sponsor a guest yourself or through a club or drive or something.

I have done 11 cons this year and despite cutting out some this Summer I have 9 more lined up. Decisions usually come down to the math for me. Paying my travel makes it very hard to say no and I really would like to go to the West Coast. I love it out there.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

I definitely would. I would LOVE to do a Norwescon, especially. But no West Coast con has ever specifically invited me. I have done some programming at SDCC but that's it.

Jamie, on the other hand, has been to only one in the last year, and it was because it was 10 miles from his house. I doubt he will go to any, anywhere, until we have the Erfworld book out. And at this rate, that's early 2009.

You can talk to con organizers and suggest guests, and even sponsor a guest yourself or through a club or drive or something.

I have done 11 cons this year and despite cutting out some this Summer I have 9 more lined up. Decisions usually come down to the math for me. Paying my travel makes it very hard to say no and I really would like to go to the West Coast. I love it out there.
    I've got to say my Con participation has dropped substantially over the years, but I would pay for a 2009 2010 con today if you were going to be within a couple states of me!
    Last edited by Occasional Sage; 2008-06-13 at 03:54 PM. Reason: realism set in

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

Okay just a quick note about Origins and GenCon.

Origins is a go, I am leaving a few hours after I post this. There will be an Erfworld booth. Jamie won't be there; he'll be at home drawing as usual. We have spiffy new embroidered shirts and hats (just a few of each, to see if they sell).

GenCon is now off my schedule for 2008. 2009 is entirely possible.
    Last edited by pclips; 2008-06-24 at 11:35 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Origins is a go, I am leaving a few hours after I post this.
    Have fun!

We have spiffy new embroidered shirts and hats (just a few of each, to see if they sell).
    If they don't, I would be ALL OVER an Erf shirt.

GenCon is now off my schedule for 2008. 2009 is entirely possible.
    Lame.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I must say it was awesome meeting you at Origins, and the embroidery was rather cool looking (sadly I just don't wear hats)

As promised, I'll start sniffing around my contacts at Dragon Con and see if I can't get the communication issues straighten out.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Banned

Zombie

Jamie won't be there; he'll be at home drawing as usual.
    Drawing what?

30. - Top - End - #90
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Capclave 2008 Albany, NY [Rob]
    2008-10-17
    This seems to be a cut-and-paste boopup; Capclave is actually in Rockville MD according to the linked page. (I'm planning to be there, and it'd be a bit more difficult if it were a couple of states away. )
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2008-06-27 at 09:24 AM.