Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

d20 Kor and Edria [Out of Character]

If you have any questions, comments, explanations, plans, or concerns that should be shared out of character, this is the place to do it. (Unless it's something you want to keep private, in which case just message me). Have fun!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Kor and Edria [Out of Character]

Ohey der folks! Mike(Urist) here, playing Dietrich. Super excited about all of this and whatnot.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

d20 Re: Kor and Edria [Out of Character]

I just posted a brief reply to the main thread; there's very little factual information in it, and it's mostly there to set the scene. Tomorrow we'll be heading off to the Grey Marches, so if you want to introduce your characters more formally to one another before then, the night's revelry (bankrolled by Jaros Memnon) is a great way to do that.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Oi ya gits! It's Vince playin' Magnix, if that wasn't already painfully obvious.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

not that it matters all that much, i got a 12 for initiative yay

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

The wheel of fate is turning.
    Rebel 1.
    ACTION!

I got a 16 for initiative.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Awesome: a few days in, and already a fight!

I got a (1d20+5)[12] for initiative.

Also, I figured I'd post my character sheet, just so everyone could get an idea of what Daro can do. I figure he's enough of a braggart that everyone knows about his stuff at this point.

Spoiler
    Show
    Human Factotum 6

Str 13 / Dex 14 / Con 12 / Int 16 / Wis 13 / Cha 13

HD: 6d8+6 (37 HP)

Saves: Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +3

Languages: his native tongue is Ur-Qara, the language of the Lazaren, but he also speaks Amako (the language of the Bladesworn Holds), Eiskell (the language of Frasthame), and the Common Tongue spoken in Saressa and Karn.

Skills: Balance +7, Bluff +9, Climb +5, Craft (Alchemy) +6, Diplomacy +7, Disable Device +7, Disguise +5 (+7 to act in character), Handle Animal +6, Hide +9, Intimidate +9, Jump +11, Knowledge (geography) +8, Knowledge (nature) +10, Knowledge (nobility) +8, Move Silently +5, Open Lock +8, Perform (song) +9, Ride +6, Search +8, Sense Motive +6, Sleight of Hand +6, Speak Language +5, Survival +8 (+10 to follow tracks, avoid getting lost or avoid hazards), Tumble +11

Attack Bonus: +4

Brains over Brawn: gain a +3 bonus to Str and Dex checks, and skills or checks (like initiative) based off those abilities.

Combat Expertise: you can take a penalty (up to -4) on attack rolls to gain an equivalent bonus to Armor Class.

Combat Panache: you have several clever ways of fighting:
    • Fortuitous Tumble: if you are successfully attacked by a foe, on your next turn you may make a Bluff check (move action) opposed by that enemy's Sense Motive. If you succeed, you can redirect your opent's next attack to another creature it threatens.
    • Play Dead: immediately after being hit for at least ten points of damage, you may drop prone and make a Bluff check opposed by the attacker's Sense Motive. If you succeed he believes you are dead, and you may rise (free action, no attack of opportunity) in the same round at attack him, catching him by surprise. This can only be used once per encounter.
    • Snearing Glower: the turn after dealing at least one point of damage to a foe, make an Intimidate check. If you succeed, he takes a -1 penalty to attack rolls for the rest of the encounter; only works on one enemy at a time and not on mindless or fearless creatures.

Inspiration Points: 10 per encounter
    • Arcane Dilettante: each day, you can prepare two spells from the wizard list -- one can be 2nd-level or lower, the other 1st-level or lower. To cast a spell, you must spend one Inspiration Point. Once cast, you must rest for 8 hours before you can choose new spells.
    • Cunning Insight: spend an Inspiration Point to gain a +3 bonus to an attack roll, damage roll or saving throw.
    • Cunning Knowledge: spent an Inspiration Point to gain a +6 bonus on a check with one of your skills (except Diplomacy, Ride and Speak Language). You can only use it once per day per skill.
    • Cunning Strike: spend an Inspiration Point to deal 1d6 Sneak Attack damage against an enemy. You must spend the point before making the attack roll, and the enemy must meet the conditions for a Sneak Attack.
    • Opportunistic Piety: spend an Inspiration Point to heal 15 points of damage for one living creature you touch, deal 15 points of damage to an undead creature you touch, or make a Turn Undead attempt as a 6th level Cleric. You can use this ability a maximum of four times per day.

Trapfinding: find traps with DC 20+, disarm magical traps.

Feats: Font of Inspiration (x3), Track, Combat Expertise, Combat Panache

Flaws: Hauntings of the Past, Hunted

The Magic Sword: +1 magic longsword, can glow with light. Taken from the vaults of the Cult of Atul, this sword has served him well in all fights since.

The Magic Armor: +2 magic studden leather and a plain buckler. A reward from the halls of Asbjorn after a successful raid into southern waters, he is immensely proud of these gifts.

The Lazaren Weapons: a dagger and a simple throwing axe, which he tried to have designed in the Lazaren's style. While not a personal treasure, he tries to keep them in good condition and recover them if possible.

The Handy-Sack: stolen from Matakah, this worn leather backpack has been a prize throughout his life.

The Last of his Fortune: 300 gold pieces
    My name is Daro of Lazaren! I have been richer than a king and poorer than a beggar's cat! Who are you to challenge me?

8. - Top - End - #8

Iaijutsu focus damage and the rolls I derped in the dice roller. XD

Spoiler: Rolls:
    Show

3d6 for Divine Wind Strike: (3d6)[10]
    Third Attack Fail:
    (1d20+2)[18]

Iaijutsu damage:
    First:(3d6)[16]
    Second:(1d6)[1]
    Third:(2d6)[8]

First Attack Total: 31
    Second Attack Total:21
    Third:18
    Last edited by Urist; 2014-07-08 at 01:25 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fighting already, yeesh. I suppose the enemy have a Surprise Round on us, considering they leaped onto the Stag while we were unaware? While we're still figuring out initiative, you could go ahead and do that, Lord o' Kor.

Initiative: (1d20+2)[5]

10. - Top - End - #10

I would assume they don't have surprise, considering that we would have time after they grapnel-ed over to get ready to murder.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

They most definitely have surprise, though I suppose Lord of Kor just overruled that by accepting your Out-Of-Initiative attacks. They grapple over while we are unaware and begin a combat. Since we are not prepared, expecting the burning ship to be deserted, we do not have any sort of surprise. Instead, the combatants who (to us) just appeared out of nowhere begin.

Also, Urist, you still have yet to roll Initiative.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

A) They don't have surprise. Landing on one's feet after launching grapnels is a noisy and difficult endeavor that doesn't leave one ready to ambush anyone. Their arrival may have been surprising, yes, but it didn't enable them to get the drop on you by the time combat started (that is, there's a difference between de facto surprise and an actual "surprise round."

B) Urist called me last night and made me roll initiative for him. In the future, Urist, post your own initiative for clarity.
    Last edited by Lord of Kor; 2014-07-09 at 05:59 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

All right, as long as its worked out so we won't have the same misunderstanding again.

14. - Top - End - #14

Hyup. Also, regardless of whether I was going first, or last, in PbP it is generally expedient to post your action whenever you get the chance, and if it becomes impossible, have the DM contact you, rather than waiting to post for initiative. Keeps the game moving faster, and small inconsistencies can be resolved if necessary, so as to stop things slowing to a crawl waiting for people.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

That's usually only a problem when the game is anonymous. When everyone knows everyone else, we don't need to worry about that. I'd rather play in correct Initiative Order, especially since bookkeeping such as who's Flat Footed during the first round of combat requires the correct order of action.

16. - Top - End - #16

Ehhhhhhh. That bookkeeping you speak of only happens first round, usually doesn't impact most things in terms of dice rolling, just AC calcs, and can still slow things down due to schedule. Because it doesn't screw with things too highly, why don't we have people post actions when they see the post and can get online, to allow maximum speed of updating, so as soon as the last person to log on sees it and posts, our Lord can get to writing immediately? Things still get RESOLVED in the correct order, just decided asymmetrically.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

EDIT: Since it's not really important anymore, I put my previous complaints in this here spoiler, especially since under review they seem a bit unfairly harsh. If you want to read them, for whatever reason, it's all still there.

Spoiler: Unimportant Stuff
    Show
    I thought your first attack this encounter required the target to be Flat Footed? Some sort of Oriental Adventures Sneak Attack Skill or whatnot. On the forum, we as fellow players never saw your Initiative roll, which causes some significant problems, at least form my perspective.

You acted assuming (or knowing, I suppose, depending on when you and Lord of Kor confirmed your Initiative) that the enemy Captain would be Flat Footed to your attacks. Until it was announced that you had actually received the first turn, it seemed as though you had just decided that you would go first and receive all the benefits from doing so. I hope you can understand my frustration resulting from this. In the future, I would ask that you and the DM not make these rolls in secret, but rather in full Public View as they should be given standard game policy. That way, it won't seem as though you are bending the rules for your benefit.

Order is very important in such a turn-based game as D&D, with so many factors dependent upon it. Also, I'd rather not have to constantly be rewriting my turns as they are negated by someone who has Initiative but posts afterwards. I do not have enough free time to spare with such easily avoided dilemmas.
    Last edited by R-Group; 2014-07-11 at 06:25 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Two things.

First of all, I made a mistake in my last post IC. I wrote 1d20+6 for my Ranged Touch Attacks, when it should actually be 1d20+5. Lord of Kor, I don't know if you'd rather I reroll the attacks, or just subtract one from each of the results, but either way you decide I'm game.

Second, I'd like to say that Urist and I have exchanged a brief conversation via IM, and I think I can say with confidence (I hope, at least), that we've come to a fair conclusion about the whole Order of Initiative and Flat Footed ordeal - so I'd like to extend an apology to the rest of you for having to read my incessant drivel about it. Hopefully going forward, I won't be so quick to lose my cool and we can just enjoy the game without extensive rules discussions.

As to how frequently we decide to post and in what order, in the end it doesn't really matter that much to me, I suppose (just a game). I'll acquiesce with however Lord of Kor determines and post as frequently as I can, work permitting.

19. - Top - End - #19

R-Group is correct, things were resolved amicably, and I think we're all set.
    Now, at the top of the initiative, back to murdering things even harder! That dragon realllllyyyy needs to go, though. Dietrich doesn't like being a sitting duck... :P

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Heh... combat. what's that like? You guys brawl it out, i'll just take a quick nap

21. - Top - End - #21

Why you no murder, comrade friend? :(

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

not everyone wants to kill others, or is able to (effectively)... remember i'm a freaking secretary lol

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

I thought I'd put the results of Daro's check here, as there was no good way to write them into the main post:

Spoiler: Sense Motive Results (Daro)
    Show
    As far as you can tell, the man is terrified, traumatized, and quite broken indeed. And the presence of four Saressan ships is doing little to help his courage.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

I think the Spellcraft skill is the one used to identify potions (unless it's alchemy). Does anyone have that ability?
    My name is Daro of Lazaren! I have been richer than a king and poorer than a beggar's cat! Who are you to challenge me?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

To the DM: what are the stats for pistols, and is there any ammunition for them? Also, what color and material is the magic cloak?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have both skills out the bum, so I'll do a quick look-see.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Magni's Hammer - the pistols are martial piercing weapons with a 60ft. range increment, x3 critical modifier, and 1d8 damage. They can be reloaded as a standard action.

The cloak is made of a fine russet-dyed cloth - probably a heavy but well-woven wool - with stylized white patterns ornamenting its fringe. Nevertheless, the material is sturdy and battle-worn, and seems to be quite durable.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

R-Group - the potion is either a Potion of Poison or a Potion of Cure Serious Wounds. You can't quite tell which one - it smells more like a Potion of Poison, but it looks exactly like most healing potions you've seen.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Kor View Post
    R-Group - the potion is either a Potion of Poison or a Potion of Cure Serious Wounds. You can't quite tell which one - it smells more like a Potion of Poison, but it looks exactly like most healing potions you've seen.
    Nice. I should probably check it "In Game" before drinking it, though.

30. - Top - End - #30

confused Re: Kor and Edria [Out of Character]

Anyone want to try to smooth things with the Seneschal? Anybody?