1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Help with a story please

I'm trying to get a story off the ground at the moment and I've got a very minor problem I was hoping some of you guys might help me with regarding some in-universe terminology. It's a sort of sci-fi/superhero mashup with a small group of people who can manipulate or alter a particular aspect of physical reality around them. In-story they're called Breakers and there's a few different classifications based on what sort of effect they can generate. So the manipulation of movement, force or acceleration has the Force classification and anyone who can do it is a Forcebreaker. Those who directly manipulate shape or structure have the Form classification and are called Formbreakers. Increased knowledge or awareness is Truth, used by Truthbreakers etc. I'm trying to think of some pithy, preferably monosyllable words for the following classifications:

- Manipulation of light, radiation, electricity or other things to do with electromagnetism.
    - Creation and destruction. Either bringing things into existence from nothing or causing things to cease to exist.
    - Anything to do with manipulation of space and time.
    - For want of a better word, "abstract" effects that don't really fit into any normal template.

Thanks in advance.
    Only an animal does useful things. An animal gets food, finds a place to sleep, tries to keep comfortable. But I wanted to do something that was not useful, not like an animal at all. Something only a human being would do.
    - Gerard d’Aboville

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Help with a story please

- Manipulation of light, radiation, electricity or other things to do with electromagnetism.
    Circuit Breaker? Polebreaker? Currentbreaker?

- Creation and destruction. Either bringing things into existence from nothing or causing things to cease to exist.
    Formbreaker may be a better fit here, with matterbreaker or something similar used for the manipulation of shape and structure.

Sequencebreaker?

- For want of a better word, "abstract" effects that don't really fit into any normal template.
    Simple. Call these the Lost Breakers. They are only lost, in that they do not have any other classification.

The feelings I kept deep inside are now screaming at the top of their lungs.

Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you can remember that-
    You are not alone

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Liffguard View Post
    Electromagnetism: Radiobreaker?
    Creation and destruction: Bit of a tricky one, since they're opposite concepts and there isn't really a single word that encompasses both. Could you perhaps separate them out and have Conceptbreakers who create things and Ruinbreakers who destroy stuff?
    Manipulation of space and time: Continuumbreaker? Fourdeebreaker (as in "4D"--four dimensions)?
    Abstract: Dreambreaker?
    Last edited by factotum; 2014-07-02 at 03:26 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Break your naming scheme and call them the Broken, as they don't quite fit and everyone in your world knows it. You'll have a nice source of conflict.
    Inuit avatar with cherry banana on top by Yanisa

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thanks for the ideas so far, I've incorporated a few. Sorry for necroing my own thread, just looking for a bit more input.

Right now I have the following categories:
    - Force: manipulation of force, acceleration and motion.
    - Shape: manipulation of shape and/or structure, including preventing things from being altered.
    - Truth: anything pertaining to information, perception or awareness.
    - Wave: light, radiation, electromagnetism, electricty, energy and the manipulation (but not creation) thereof.
    - Void: anything that negatively violates thermodynamics, causing energy or matter to cease existing.
    - Form: creation of things from nothing, or duplication.
    - Grid: manipulation of space, time and dimensions.
    - The Broken: breaker fields that negatively interact with other breaker fields, or with anything that has been influenced by a breaker field.

A few other things I'm trying to come up with. I generally find I'm okay at coming up with concepts but suck at naming things. The main superpower organisation is called The Vigil, which has a dual-meaning that comes up later in the story. Humanity is at war with aliens that are beyond communication and may not be technological, or even sentient. They attack as individuals, and by the time the attacker is killed it's usual for entire cities or even regions to be effectively wiped off the map. I've been trying to think of some sort of mythology-inspired name for them that would make sense for humans to spontaneously call them. For the time being I've been using the Visitors as a placeholder but it's not working for me. Any thoughts at all? Cheers.
    Last edited by Liffguard; 2014-07-27 at 12:47 PM.
    Only an animal does useful things. An animal gets food, finds a place to sleep, tries to keep comfortable. But I wanted to do something that was not useful, not like an animal at all. Something only a human being would do.
    - Gerard d’Aboville

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Wavebreakers
    Voltbreakers

Go basic:
    Makers and Breakers

Strangebreakers

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

They attack as individuals, and by the time the attacker is killed it's usual for entire cities or even regions to be effectively wiped off the map. I've been trying to think of some sort of mythology-inspired name for them that would make sense for humans to spontaneously call them. For the time being I've been using the Visitors as a placeholder but it's not working for me. Any thoughts at all? Cheers.
    Super-powerful aliens who relentlessly attack until they're destroyed? Berserkers would be the perfect name for them, except Fred Saberhagen already nicked that name for his near-unstoppable alien killing machines some time ago! How about the Relentless?