New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default What made Tsukiko so misanthropic?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: What made Tsukiko so misanthropic?

Quote Originally Posted by CaDzilla View Post
    We don't know. The Giant probably never considered it important enough to specify.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    We don't know. The Giant probably never considered it important enough to specify.
    Certain tidbits of information, like her getting kicked out of a lot of wizarding schools, suggest to me that it was in some way her own fault for how people treated her. Maybe she was always ah... forward with herself to people, and decided that since society didn't adapt to her, she would leave it behind. Plus, she comes off as a bit of a nut, even if she is capable of functioning through it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think she's simply meant to be a parody of all the twitards in the world who think 'playing' with the undead is just wonderful.

5. - Top - End - #5

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Angelalex242 View Post
    I think she's simply meant to be a parody of all the twitards in the world who think 'playing' with the undead is just wonderful.
    I agree. I'd add she's a parody of that one kind of Mary Sue that is always right, no matter what, no matter how much prior evidence there is against her.

In her own campaign, it would've ended up being an undead paradise, where she was the beloved queen. In (semi) reality... It didn't end so well for her playing with monsters with no free will that are literally fueled by Evil.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'd imagine that she found the living to be fairly distasteful, so she turned to Undead for love. The parody answer works well too.

Peelee’s Lotsey

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Unlike the undead, the living don't have "controlled by an evil necromancer" or "born of dark energies" (not counting fiends) as an excuse for their behavior.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Much as with Nale's hatred of Malack, I've always been torn between Tsukiko having a semi-legitimate/serious reason for her hatred of the living and it just being something completely ridiculous. I think the bulk of the evidence points to the latter, though.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Much as with Nale's hatred of Malack, I've always been torn between Tsukiko having a semi-legitimate/serious reason for her hatred of the living and it just being something completely ridiculous. I think the bulk of the evidence points to the latter, though.
    Unlike Nale, who could have a very legitimate reason to dislike Malack (even if that reason is "he's dead and dangerous.") I don't think there is any way that Tsutsiko's hate could be portrayed as anything other than unreasonable, if for no other reason than its hypocrisy.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #10

I always just assumed that she had a series of bad encounters with people that left her with a tragically warped world view. Betrayed by people she cared about. Cheated on, maybe. Stuff like that.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Koo Rehtorb View Post
    I always just assumed that she had a series of bad encounters with people that left her with a tragically warped world view. Betrayed by people she cared about. Cheated on, maybe. Stuff like that.
    That would explain a "people suck" mentality, but doesn't really provide the leap towards "Undead are the opposite of people, therefore they must be great!" that requires one to ignore reality to hold.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Necrophilia is a real-life thing (blech, ick, yuk). She just took it one step farther for parody purposes. When even Xykon was squicked out by her ( "I'm not one of those disgusting biophiliacs") then clearly she was off the deep end, sanity-wise.

What pseudo-Freudian psychobabble reasons made her that way? We will never ever know. Clearly her definition of "logical thought" was not the same as the rest of the world's, although she had a certain specious "if A=B then Not-A = Not-B" chain of reasoning going on. This may well have something to do with why she was expelled from all those fine schools.

In the end, it's probably futile for us to try to understand how Tsukiko got the way she was. The best we can do is to say that her insanity was (hopefully) unique, and must have had some highly unique circumstances to bring it about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

mad Re: What made Tsukiko so misanthropic?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    ( "I'm not one of those disgusting biophiliacs")
    That's the part I never got. Xykon shot her down right there. There was no possibility of Tsukiko becoming Xykon's girlfriend, ever. He said it right to her face! That sort of thing breaks believability for me.

Spoiler: Start of Darkness
    Show
    Even before he became a lich, Xykon expressed a lack of interest in sex. He was hornier when he was younger, but old age caught up to him. After becoming a lich...well lacking sex organs would make him really disinterested in the opposite sex.
    How to turn off these annoying .sigs:

1. Edit your profile options.
    2. Scroll down to "Visible Post Elements".
    3. Uncheck "Show Signatures".
    4. Save changes.
    5. Enjoy a much less cluttered and noisy forum.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    That's the part I never got. Xykon shot her down right there. There was no possibility of Tsukiko becoming Xykon's girlfriend, ever. He said it right to her face! That sort of thing breaks believability for me.

Spoiler: Start of Darkness
    Show
    Even before he became a lich, Xykon expressed a lack of interest in sex. He was hornier when he was younger, but old age caught up to him. After becoming a lich...well lacking sex organs would make him really disinterested in the opposite sex.
    It doesn't seem terribly unbelievable to me that someone would obsess over someone else even if they know that person doesn't want to be with them.

Peelee’s Lotsey

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    It doesn't seem terribly unbelievable to me that someone would obsess over someone else even if they know that person doesn't want to be with them.
    Agreed, Tsukiko probably thought Xykon was hiding his true feeling for her, that he'd come around eventually, etc...

Hmm, I think I just squicked myself out.

As for the reason, it could be something serious (let's be honest, it's not like humanity can't do terrible things), something minor but potentially psychologically damaging (the family pet died and her parents buried/cremated it rather than pay for it to be raised), or even self-inflicted ("You dare to tell me I can't do/have something? I hate you and all living beings!).

Or she could just be a parody of Bella from Twilight.

16. - Top - End - #16

It is certainly not necessary for someone to reciprocate one's feelings for one to have fairly strong feelings for somebody.

Every time somebody gets arrested for stalking a Hollywood star is a case in point.

Thus, Xykon's feelings on the matter are pretty irrelevant, and if she could beat his saving throws, I don't doubt for a moment she'd cast control undead, or at least hold undead, to have her merry way with him. Let's not forget Tsukiko is still Evil with a capital E, and worthy of Book of Vile Darkness Vile Feats at that. (Lichloved is the thematic Vile Feat she really should have, as it's nearly the point of her character...along with the prerequisite, of course. Despite the name, it doesn't require sleeping with a Lich. Any undead will do, even Vampires, which means Bella and Buffy also qualify for that feat...) Things like consent aren't necessarily a high priority for her.
    Last edited by Angelalex242; 2014-07-03 at 07:05 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

A weird chain of thoughts led me to this: if Tsukiko had to help create a lich, one step would be her doing something so squicky that the subject's skin would crawl off his back and out the door.
    Just a heads-up: That coffee we gave you earlier had fluorescent calcium in it so we can track the neuronal activity in your brain. There's a slight chance the calcium could harden and vitrify your frontal lobe. Anyway, don't stress yourself thinking about it. I'm serious. Visualizing the scenario while under stress actually triggers the reaction.

18. - Top - End - #18

The tragedy of Tsukiko is that she kept the wights, who she claimed to love, enslaved from their creation until her death. She oppressed undead just as much as she oppressed Thahn via Dominate Person (more, actually, since she kept the wights enslaved for a lot longer).

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Personally, I think she might have started out with an unhealthy interest in the undead, people shunned her for it, and that lead her to reinforce her opinion that undead are her preference. She came up with "logic" to support her position (ie. the whole insane antithesis thing she had) and it was consistently kept stable by the fact that her creations did what she wanted them to, including act out the roles needed for emotional support (of a variety of types) she wasn't getting from the living.

Basically, my belief is that she was stuck in a self-perpetuating loop, but she was the one that was ultimately responsible for starting it.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    The tragedy of Tsukiko is that she kept the wights, who she claimed to love, enslaved from their creation until her death. She oppressed undead just as much as she oppressed Thahn via Dominate Person (more, actually, since she kept the wights enslaved for a lot longer).
    And the irony being that she seems to hate Humans, Azurites and/or the Law for oppressing her. (#446)
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

21. - Top - End - #21

You don't get out much do you?

The world is full of crazy people. Luckily for most of us, it's got a lot more not-quite-so-crazy people.
    Last edited by evileeyore; 2014-07-03 at 10:47 AM.
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Reathin View Post
    Personally, I think she might have started out with an unhealthy interest in the undead, people shunned her for it, and that lead her to reinforce her opinion that undead are her preference. She came up with "logic" to support her position (ie. the whole insane antithesis thing she had) and it was consistently kept stable by the fact that her creations did what she wanted them to, including act out the roles needed for emotional support (of a variety of types) she wasn't getting from the living.

Basically, my belief is that she was stuck in a self-perpetuating loop, but she was the one that was ultimately responsible for starting it.
    This was also my reading of the situation. Too interested in Necromancy* to be accepted by society and it went downhill from there.

*I decided to go with the Necromancy thing first to preserve my sanity

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reathin View Post

Yes, that seems like the most logical explanation. As such, I'd say she's thoroughly demented, but not an illogical character. If undead really could be created, I'd bet there would be quite a few folks just like her. Unfortunately.

It gives her an added bit of verisimilitude that she's repulsive and dangerous, but also extremely tragic.
    Last edited by Bulldog Psion; 2014-07-03 at 11:06 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    And the irony being that she seems to hate Humans, Azurites and/or the Law for oppressing her. (#446)
    Another bit of irony is that she has the same black/white outlook as the paladins on undead, only reversed

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I don't think there is any way that Tsutsiko's hate could be portrayed as anything other than unreasonable, if for no other reason than its hypocrisy.
    Severe childhood traumas (like sexual abuse) can turn people to extreme types of Paraphilia.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Severe childhood traumas (like sexual abuse) can turn people to extreme types of Paraphilia.
    Im not contesting that its possible for one to be attracted to, well, anything. But if you examine her stance on people, its a shallow justification for her actions against the people of Azure city that wont hold up to even the slightest amount of logical examination. Heck, even the MITD called her on it.

I think this conversation sums it up best.

"Trust me, paladins aren't happy unless theyre forcing you to be just like them."

"Really? Because it seemed like he wanted me to decide for myself how to act."

"Right, exactly like he does! He's doing it already!"
    Last edited by Keltest; 2014-07-03 at 03:33 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Courtesy of the Great Index, I'll just drop this in here. I think it's applicable.

I don't think Suki will ever have a canonical backstory. If you care, you'll have to make it up for yourself.

Personally, I don't much care. I presume she had some bad experiences as a teenager (who doesn't?), some rejection, either not enough or too much discipline (pick whichever one floats your own prejudices...) - and we got the character we saw. But exactly what happened? Unless you're looking for fanfic, there's no answer to that.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
    You don't get out much do you?

The world is full of crazy people. Luckily for most of us, it's got a lot more not-quite-so-crazy people.
    Umm, perhaps you misread my post. I said that it wasn't terribly unbelievable, i.e. fairly believable.

Peelee’s Lotsey

29. - Top - End - #29

Umm, perhaps you misread my post. I said that it wasn't terribly unbelievable, i.e. fairly believable.
    Man. I did that like three times yesterday.

My Mark I eyeballs need to get a tune up.
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

30. - Top - End - #30

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
    Man. I did that like three times yesterday.

My Mark I eyeballs need to get a tune up.
    Or else you meant to reply to the post just above Jazdan's, which was:

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    Has happened to me as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]