New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: In Dreams to Come

Simon stepped forward, planting himself in front of Leviath. Although he didn't take his eyes off his future self, his words were directed at Leviath with no room for dissent. "Gestalt, be careful with your summons. If you damage the building's electronics the automated defenses will kick in."

His stance became ever so slightly softer as he studied his future self again. With the building's defenses and power supressors, if they fought here it would be for real. It wasn't too late to try to reach an agreement. "I have just a few lines of questioning. First, if Leviath goes with you, what becomes of him and will he be returned? Second, is Leviath the culprit, accomplice, mechanism, or vulnerability in the event you're trying to prevent? Third, I believe the organization responsible for the Disappearance and today's attack are related and that they are a previously unknown organization. Are my assumptions correct?"

"Oh, and how's Adam," he added as an afterthought. In truth it was anything but. He hadn't talked about his friend Aaron Burke in front of Leviath before. By bringing up Aaron, he hoped to offer himself a way of passing information only to himself in the guise of discussing his old friend.

Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show
    Insight (1d20+25)[33] on future simon's answers.
    Deception 30 (routine) to pretend his comment about Adam wasn't important. Mainly for Leviath or any observers.
    With your every step, these grand adventures shall grow more distant and faint. And there may come a day when you forget the faces and voices of those you have met along the way. On that day, I bid you remember this... That no matter how far your journey may take you, you stand where you stand by virtue of the road you walked to get there.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Future Simon considered the questions for a few seconds - which Simon, of course, knew meant he was giving them some serious thought. "If Leviath comes with me, he'll be tried for his crimes against the past. He will, in my opinion, almost certainly be convicted. He will, again in my opinion, almost certainly be executed." He glanced at Leviath with a somewhat apologetic look in his eyes, "Which I imagine sounds terribly unfair from where you're standing, but Leviath I truly believe that as you are today, if I could tell you what I have seen you become...you would consider becoming that person a fate worse than death."

"In answer to your second question, culprit."

"As for the third...no, I'm sorry but I can't answer that one. To do so might influence your decisions as to how you investigate and respond to these events, which could change my time in ways I cannot foresee. The risk is too great. I am unable to answer any questions regarding Aaron's future."

Spoiler: Simon
    Show
    He's answering the questions calmly and conversationally. You can't be sure if he's trying to deceive you or hide anything.

The way he replied to your question about Aaron, though, strikes you as slightly odd. Coming off his answer to your third question, it would have fit better to say something like, "same with your question about Aaron", or otherwise tie it back to his non-answer there. His choice of wording had to be a deliberate attempt to convey a distinct meaning. He's unable to answer questions about Aaron's future...because he doesn't know the answer. If Aaron were still missing, or something else had happened to him, he could have conveyed that. The only reason he literally could not know about Aaron's future in at least vague terms is because it is currently uncertain, because what happens now could change what is going to happen then.

And really, there's only one reason why it would be beneficial to him to make you aware of that.

The secret message is as clear as if he had said it aloud: "If you want to save Aaron, give me Leviath. Please!"
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2014-11-16 at 03:29 PM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Mandragora was somewhat bewildered that the future Simon would follow today's Simon into the SIDE building. Could he use his teleportation device even inside of the building's area of security? Eric didn't know much about the technology they would use, and he had been forgetting more and more about it as he developed his powers....

But before he would pursue the Simons into the SIDE building, Mandragora would finish the job he started. Best to alleviate as much suffering as possible in the face of this latest mess. Reaching out to the four other incapacitated SIDE agents nearby, Mandragora focused once again on repairing the damage done by future Simon's attacks.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Move: Get as close to the SIDE building as possible while being within vine's reach of the remaining four unconscious SIDE agents.
    Standard: Embrace of Life on those four.

Healing rolls for this round's action: (1d20+2)[5], (1d20+2)[11], (1d20+3)[13], (1d20+3)[14]
    Secondary Healing rolls for last round's agents: (1d20+2)[21], (1d20+2)[10], (1d20+2)[12], (1d20+1)[11]

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Simon's face was an impassive mask.

Telling him that surrendering Leviath would result in Leviath's execution complicated matters. It was probably the worst thing he could have said to gain his cooperation, but that made it even more likely to be true. That meant that even he wanted to, he couldn't hand over Leviath. Doing so not only would he have to deal with SIDE and Annabelle, but he'd deprive the Hero Corps of yet another capable hero at a time when they didn't have any hands to spare. Doing so would kill any hope of promotion and dead-end his investigation of the Circle.

Although, with his only confirmed member having vanished in the Disappearances, he might have bigger issues to worry about with whomever was moving around in the shadows now.

That didn't mean he couldn't hand Leviath over. He could make a show of defending the young hero and throw the fight. Heck, even if he didn't throw the fight he might not be able to handle himself. His older self was at least his equal in combat and his gadgetry was clearly superior. But did he want to give up Leviath?

Every agent accumulated a list of mistakes they'd made and Simon was no exception. Black had been a phenomenal agent before he'd turned traitor and killed 4 of his comrades. Intelligence had marked Randal Dahlstrom as potentially unstable long before he broke down and became the threat level 9 super-villian Half-life. And here his future self was warning that Leviath would become something even more terrible. For the good of Illesia, he'd removed plenty of threats before they could grow. If what his future self said was true, handing over Leviath would save a huge number of lives. Among them Aaron's.

Unbidden, perfect memories of the times he'd shared with Aaron came to mind. Their rivalry in training camp, guarding each other's backs in on mission, the years they'd stuck together after leaving the force. Daimon ignored them. Or tried to. A good agent didn't let emotion cloud his judgement, but knowing that didn't lessen their pull. He'd heard his secret message loud and clear. Turning over Leviath might save Aaron. And if Aaron's life hung in the balance, the rest of targets of the Disappearance might also be saved.

"Last question. When a past event is changed, does the future change to reflect the new outcome or is a new future created?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Essentially asking if many-worlds theory is in effect
    With your every step, these grand adventures shall grow more distant and faint. And there may come a day when you forget the faces and voices of those you have met along the way. On that day, I bid you remember this... That no matter how far your journey may take you, you stand where you stand by virtue of the road you walked to get there.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

One of the agents came to his feet, not so much as a blister remaining from his injury. Another was still unconscious. The rest were awake, but still injured to varying degrees. The fully healed one - who had been one of the ones shot in the lungs - looked to Mandragora and gave him a shaky nod of thanks.

--

Future Simon gave a soft smile at the question. "Man, I remember when I used to care about stuff like that," he said, a hint of nostalgia in his voice. Honestly? I don't know the true, hard-coded-into-the-universe answer, but for our purposes, it doesn't matter. I'll leave that for the philosophers to debate. What I know, is that when I go back to my time, it's going to be different than when I left it based on my actions here. When I leave your time, the things I did while I was here will contribute to your future experiences. I don't know if that's because history is rewriting itself, or because I'm spawning an all-new universe with every word I say, or because I'm hopping over to a new branch on some infinite tree. But as far as the three of us are concerned, the actions we're about to take will influence the future that we experience, and that every person we will ever interact with again experiences."

"Time may not be as constant as it was supposed to, but consequences are as real as ever. And I can promise you this: the choices you make here are the ones you're going to have to live with for the rest of your lives."
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2014-11-18 at 02:54 AM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Simon inhaled deeply. It bought him only a few seconds, but that was plenty of time to think over his options.

He wasn't sure when he'd gotten so sentimental. Every decision carried a consequence.

The consequences of stopping himself... If future Simon didn't arrest Leviath, Annabelle would. Despite her assurances that he'd be released in short order, once she made the arrest the prosecution would be out of her hands and the fact remained Leviath had a very unique power. Those were certainly his creatures attacking the city, a fact all but confirmed when he'd taken control of that dragon. Politics wouldn't help either. This was the second crisis the country had faced in as many days. There would be enormous pressure on SIDE to find a culprit and get a conviction. Arresting Leviath would practically set him up for that role. Even if Leviath had no intention of becoming a criminal, being railroaded into prison might change his mind. Avoiding prison didn't end the danger since his future warning hadn't shared why Leviath would turn.

But that was beside the point. There was no way to predict exactly what circumstances would drive Leviath's change. His warning gave him a choice. If his future self was to be believed, prevent a major crisis before it happened, neutralize a threat to Illesia and potentially save the millions lives lost in the Disappearance. Aaron, Vanguard IV, and Arcanis included. If he refused, he gambled all those lives against being able to keep Leviath from turning on them.

Millions of lives, or just one. Sometimes sacrifices had to be made for the good of Illesia.

Simon blew out the breath he'd been holding. His gaze on the time traveller hardened. "I'm sorry, but I can't let you take him. Leviath's future isn't written and your warning is already enough. If you want him, you'll have to go through me. Leviath," he called over his shoulder, "run. I'll block the hallway and buy time."

Show
    Moving to block future Simon's path to Leviath and taking a Defend action. New defense: (1d10+27)[30]

Deception 30. "I can't let you take him" doesn't mean "I won't let you take him." Trying to covertly signal intent to throw the fight.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Leviath wanted to fight. He thought he and Simon together could take the time traveler now that they were in the building...

But he was right. The important thing here wasn't to defeat him. It was to stall. Once enough time had passed he'd return to the future or something similar

With his new defenses still raised, Leviath turns and runs searching for stairs. Holding to the claws of his summon they both lift a bit off the air, but pick up speed

Spoiler
    Show
    Free action to keep that Nullify ongoing.
    Sacrificing my Standard action for another Movement one
    Using both to move far away, towards some stairs

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Leviath's flight lets him cover pretty much the entirety of the building that he has access to. The stairs are all behind sealed doors, leading into more secure locations in the building. The locations that Leviath finds accessible are:

-The lobby, a large open room containing several desks and computers, currently occupied by the Simons and not containing any agents.
    -Three small offices directly adjacent to the lobby, none of them occupied.
    -Two hallways that extend off from the lobby heading further back into the building (each one has one of the sealed stair access doors near the center on the inward-facing side of the hall, and a restroom near the center on the outward-facing side).
    -A waiting area/cafeteria on the far side of both halls. Within are about half a dozen scared-looking civilians. They're being guarded by two SIDE agents.
    -The left hall has several interview/interrogation rooms. All of them are empty save the one Brace is still being held in. There are two SIDE agents in that room, and from what Gestalt can see on his quick pass, they're guarding and continuing to interrogate Brace. One of them is now suited up in powered armor, however.
    -The left hall also contains an infirmary. Three injured SIDE agents are within, along with two medics. A single agent in powered armor is on guard.
    -The right hall has some more offices, and two unmarked and windowless doors (possibly supply closets).
    -The right hall also has a lounge/break room. There are two shining examples of SIDE inside, providing valuable contributions to their team's goals in this time of crisis by watching tv.

Future Simon regards his past self for a moment and gives a soft sigh. "Very well," he says.

Then without another word he rushes forward, striking in a rapid blur with a series of crippling blows at Simon's joints. But Simon is no stranger to the martial arts and reacts with augmented speed; he's able to fend the attacks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gestalt, you can end up in any of the locations. You can cover a little more than half the accessible area of the building with a move action at Flight 4.

Future Simon:
    Move: Close with Simon.
    Standard: Attack with Pressure Point Strike (Fighting). Accurate Attack for 2. (1d20+20)[23]. Crit 16+. On a hit, Toughness DC 23 vs. Damage and Fortitude DC 18 vs. Weaken Fighting. Miss

Current Status:
    Mandragora: Fatigued.
    Gestalt: +10 Toughness.
    Simon: EQ Nullified, Bruised, Fatigued.
    Annabelle: Normal.

Future Simon: Normal.

All PCs are on turn.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2014-11-24 at 01:14 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Leviath chooses to make his first stop in the lounge room. Now that he had in a way the entire SIDE building to play with he could try to improve their chances at holding Future Simon back. Starting with these two

Now, he was pretty sure he had no authority over SIDE. But maybe he could rouse them to fight or something

"Hey! You two? We have a bit of a crisis going on and I need your help. I'm Gestalt, with the Hero Corps. Here's the situation, there's a time traveler fighting against a fellow member of the Corps in the lobby, and he injured 8 of your agents outside the building. They might be dying.

What would the next step be? Find a backdoor out and try to go help the wounded outside? No wait, he could break one of the higher floor windows and just fly them in instead...

Except posibly not. There was a time warp of some sorts around wasn't there? Maybe he should try to enlist Brace's help? Seemed like a relatively good idea. He really hoped noone mistook his bird from one of the hostile ones

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm rolling Persuade to try to get those two to help me
    (1d20+14)[18]
    (Possible +5 if they find Leviath's looks appealing. Truth be told I'm not counting on this bonus)

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

From within the storm of strikes and counters that was his fight with himself, Simon had to admit that he was enjoying himself. Watching fights unfold in slow motion had long ago turned fighting into a game of chess. A game that his future self was very, very good at. While part of him wanted to keep fighting and learning from his opponent's movements, he couldn't afford to give Leviath too much time to escape.

When the next strike came, Simon deflected the strike and struck. Hard. He over-committed himself to the strike. Not by much. To a lesser martial artist it might not even have been a mistake. But it was enough to give his opponent an opportunity to grab his arm and counter with a throw.

Leviath might only need to escape, but Simon only had to let himself through.

Show
    Attack: Nerve Strike (FTG) (power attack 3)(1d20+11)[31]. Critical miss? Intentionally missing, but want to make the attack look real.
    Deception 30 to sell the attack.
    Last edited by Dorni; 2014-11-24 at 11:47 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Desmond stood strong against the blows his foes attempted to deliver, he could feel his mind focusing, as strong as ever. He took in his surroundings for a half second, and saw that this had quickly become a two on one fight however, and he wouldn't last forever. He desperately needed to buy Reynold time to get back on his feet, and back into the fight, and that meant knocking his foes off of theirs. 'Right, the best defense is a good offense' he thought.

Again Desmond poised his slender frame for attack, raised his fists into the air and forcefully brought them down as he let loose another blast of telekinetic force, roaring at his foes! Of course the physical channeling of his power through his bodies movements was completely for show. Desmond need but think the action and it would manifest, but he enjoyed the feel of it all the same, and drawing attention to himself meant helping Reynold.

Show
    Attack: Telekinetic Smash- ranged, area (burst) Linked: Affliction 6 (Dazed / Prone)

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Desmond

The telekinetic blast hammered the knight and the witch once more, staggering the knight back a step and sending the witch stumbling backwards, though she managed to catch herself. The witch glared at Desmond and hurled a volley of ice shards at him while the knight stepped to the side, blocking off an avenue of defense against the witch's attack and coming in at the hopefully-distracted with another hewing blow of its massive sword.

Reynold continued to shiver threateningly in the general direction of his enemies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reynold: Fortitude save to throw off the Stun (DC 18): (1d20+6)[8]. Failure

Ice Witch:
    Move: Dazed.
    Standard: Aid the Iron Knight's attack at (1d20+8)[28]. If it hits DC 10, the Iron Knight gets +2 on the attack roll. If it hits DC 20, the bonus is +5 instead. +5 Bonus

Iron Knight:
    Move: But only a little.
    Standard: Attack Desmond with Zweihander, Power Attacking for whatever bonus the Ice Witch provides. (1d20+8)[25]. Crit 15+. Toughness DC 33 vs. Damage. If save fails to beat DC 28, Toughness is Weakened by one point per point below.

EDIT: Wow. Okay then. So, give me a Toughness check, please.

Current Status:
    Desmond: 1 Bruise.
    Reynold: Stunned (DC 18).

Icy Witch: 3 Bruises, (Dazed Ends).
    Iron Knight: 2 Bruises.

Desmond is on turn.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2014-11-28 at 02:02 AM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

13. - Top - End - #253

Kobold

Mandragora returned the formerly-dying soldier's nod, then focused on getting to the SIDE building after the Simons. As he went, he gave some thought to the damage this whole situation must be doing to the gods. Loss, Pain, Chaos, and Wrong were running rampant. It would take a lot of good deeds to undo the spiritual done by the summons. And supposedly Leviath would be behind it all sometime in the future. Eric made the decision that if Leviath made it out of this without being executed sometime in the future - an extremely strange and unsettling concept - he would keep watch on the summoner to ensure that Leviath's mind remained intact. After all, it was quite possible the whole world was at stake.

Mandragora hoped he wouldn't be too late. Even without teleportation, the future Simon would be quick and tricky. After all, even the present Simon had shown that he was intelligent and well-trained. Far more than Mandragora to be sure. And this future Simon would have even more experience. Maybe charging in the front door wouldn't be the best plan.... Unfortunately, Mandragora couldn't really think of a better one at the moment.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Simon, Mandragora, Annabelle

Annabelle followed Eric to the building. Simon and Leviath might have noticed, during their previous conversation, the two approach, but the process of them actually entering would occur, to those already inside, in what appeared extreme slow motion. They came through whatever the temporal boundary between the building and the outside world was pretty much just in time to see Future Simon hurl Simon aside and and fly down the hallway he had been blocking at superhuman speed.

Gestalt

Your passage through the building draws some looks, but you're moving fast enough and people are surprised enough that there isn't an immediate response. The two SIDE agents looked up in startled surprise as you speak to them. One of them just curses, the other one says, "Someone got into the building!?" Both grab their weapons and move quickly towards you.

And that's when Future Simon comes flying down the hall, although he's picked up some attentioned from the now-less-surprised SIDE agents; the power armored agent from the cafeteria is flying after him. "What is this? What's going on here!?" she demands, one arm raised in the general direction of both you and Future Simon.

Future Simon just glances at you with one brow raised. "Everything's fine. Leviath's going to come along peacefully with me. Isn't that right?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Future Simon:
    Move: Throw Simon aside. Since you, uh, critted on your intentional critical miss () I'mma figure he can do that as a move action and without rolling.
    Standard: Fly after Gestalt.

Annabelle:
    Double Move: Follow Mandragora into the SIDE building.

SIDE Agents 1&2:
    Move: Stand up and gather their gear.
    Move: Out into the hallway behind Gestalt.

Power Armored Agent:
    Move: Follow Future Simon as he passes through the cafeteria.
    Standard: Ready an action to attack if either Future Simon or Gestalt makes a hostile move.

Current Status:
    Gestalt: +10 Toughness.

SIDE Agents: 2/2.
    Power Armored Agent: Normal.

All PCs are on turn
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2014-11-27 at 01:11 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

"No, I won't. Officer? Arrest this man! He shot 8 SIDE-Officers who were fighting outside, and while he could just disable them he left lethal wounds just to slow part of us down. He left even more to die by not helping in the attack...Raptor Attack, GET HIM!"

Gestalt is through, and sics his creature on Future Simon, electrified claws ready to completely wreck his nervous system. He was too dangerous being freely allowed to move around.

Of course, not trusting his protection too far from his summon, Gestalt flies together, and moments after it hits or not, tries to grab Future Simon. (Not the belt, him in general)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Woo! Finally, I've been positevely DYING to get fighting this guy. Even if can kick my ass easily.
    Hero Point to remove my Fatigued condition from the last Extra Effort use
    Move: Get close to Future!Simon

Standard: Shocking Grasp. That's the Rainbow Bird's affliction power. Dodge DC14 or he's fatigued, impaired and vulnerable. Unlikely to hit, I know

Extra Effort for another Standard Action

Standard Action: Initiate Grab action. Kinda taking a page out of Simon's book though I was considering doing it before. I have Improved Grab so I'm not vulnerable while doing it. Also Grabbing Finesse means I use my Dexterity rather than Strength (which doesn't help much, I swore I had read it as Agility >.<). Also, I'm not vulnerable while grabbing. Redudant lack of vulnerability, yay XD
    (1d20+2)[22]
    Last edited by DukeGod; 2014-11-28 at 06:53 PM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Simon tumbled through the air, crashing into a desk and rolling to the floor. The agent kicked himself to his feet just as Mandragora and Annabelle entered the lobby. The agent took off running and beckoned to the pair to follow him. "Leviath is on the run with the hostile in pursuit. He's gotta be headed for the kitchen entrance. We gotta catch em!"

Show
    Move: stand up
    Standard: move action down hallway toward kitchen area

17. - Top - End - #257

Kobold

How had Simon been defeated so fast? Mandragora had done little more than walk into the building, and already seen the future Simon throw the present Simon aside as though with little effort. Though the question weighed on Mandragora's mind, he knew he had to act fast to go after future Simon and save Leviath. Thankfully, Simon still appeared to be in good shape. Mandragora followed Simon, but without soft earth to aide his perception, he would have to get close enough to his target rather than flailing his vines forward and hope he find future Simon.

Show

Move: Follow Simon into the hallway forward.
    Standard: Keep moving (unless Mandragora can get close enough to see him with one movement).

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Annabelle follows after Simon and Mandragora as they run down the long hallway, although their legs burn with fatigue. They are currently passing through the area with the interrogation rooms.

Spoiler: Mandragora, Simon, Annabelle; Perception DC 15 or Extended Hearing
    Show
    You hear gunshots. It sounds like they're coming from elsewhere on this floor.

Spoiler: DC 20 or Accurate Hearing
    Show
    You're pretty sure they're coming from the other hallway.

Spoiler: DC 25 or Accurate Hearing
    Show
    Actually, they're only a bit further down the other hallway than you are down this one, you're quite sure. Given that you're only about a sixth of the way down this hall, you could reach them faster by backtracking than by going forward and coming back down the other hall, if you have an inclination to do so.

Future Simon sidestepped as Raptor Attack struck, the summon scoring only a glancing blow, not finding enough purchase to discharge more than a strong static shock's worth of electricity. A step back carried him aside from Gestalt's grab.

Face hidden in her helmet, it was impossible to see the SIDE agent's eyes narrow as Gestalt revealed the truth. Her weapon swung entirely in Future Simon's direction.

The time traveler responded with a quick attack of his own, a flurry of hard punches, though not as outright aggressive as he had been outside, as he also had to move quick to try to avoid the hail of gunfire from the agent, trying to maneuver so his path brought Gestalt in line with the shots. After only a couple seconds of hesitation, the other two agents jockeyed for position and opened fire as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mandragora can auto-succeed the Athletics check to boost speed, but wasn't quite as far at the start, so he gets about 40' down the hallway. Simon gets 30' down it unless he can make a DC 15 Athletics check. Annabelle's wheelchair is actually much faster but I'm keeping her with them unless she decides to move ahead. Remember that both Mandragora and Simon are currently Fatigued, and thus moving at half speed.

Future Simon:
    Move: Attempt to Trick the power armored agent. Routine Deception for 29 (after -5 move action penalty) against Insight (1d20+10)[16]. If attempt succeeds, a missed attack by the agent will target Gestalt instead with a new attack roll. Trick Succeeds
    Standard: Attack Gestalt with Unarmed Strike, Power Attack for 4, at (1d20+14)[20]. On a hit, Toughness DC 29+Multiattack vs. Damage. Hit. DC 31 from Multiattack.

Power Armored Agent:
    Readied Action: Attack Future Simon with Machine Guns at (1d20+10)[15]. On a hit, Toughness DC 25+Multiattack vs. Damage. On a miss, attack is redirected at Gestalt at (1d20+10)[18]. Misses Future Simon. Hits Gestalt, but with no Multiattack bonus.
    Standard Action: Attack Future Simon with Machine Guns at (1d20+10)[19]. On a hit, Toughness DC 25+Multiattack vs. Damage. Misses even with the Aid bonus

SIDE Agent 1:
    Standard Action: Aid Power Armored Agent's standard attack at Future Simon at (1d20+10)[19] (including Teamwork bonus). +2

SIDE Agent 2:
    Standard Action: Aid Gestalt's Defense against the next attack against him at (1d20+10)[26] (including Teamwork bonus). Gestalt gets +5 Defense against the next attack made against him.

Gestalt, give me Toughness DC 31 and Toughness DC 25

Current Status:
    Gestalt: +10 Toughness, Bruised, Dazed this turn.

SIDE Agents: 2/2.

All PCs are on turn.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2014-12-03 at 09:00 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Simon skidded to a halt as the shots rang out behind him. Neither Future Simon or Leviath carried a firearm, but there shouldn't be any other fighting going on inside the building. Leviath had gotten more SIDE officers involved. That fool; the kid had already seen what happened to the SIDE officers outside.

"This way! The kid must have circled around," He barked as he ran back toward the lobby.

Show
    Moving back to the lobby.

20. - Top - End - #260

Kobold

As he strode down the hallway, Mandragora managed to hear the gunshots from the other hallway. Quickly, he turned around to get to Leviath as fast as he could. Eric found himself praying as hard as he could to the Drive for Success. He couldn't afford to fail here. Leviath's life hangs in the balance. Eric truly believed he and the Heros could save Leviath from his future corruption.

Show

Moving to take the quick way around.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Leviath barely managed to withstand the furious attack. Keeping at it was gonna be tough...
    But maybe this Simon wasn't so much controlled. He had limited time after all, maybe not even he could just ignore pressure like that
    First things first, might aswell try to difficult his life even more

"Well, making me take that shot was a nice one. A bit too simple for the Simon I know though, come on you could have had it so it would serioulsy cripple me if it hit. Future's been rusty on your skills?
    That does make sense. I mean, here and now I can believe you almost dodged that attack from my bird but to not even go at me when I practically handed you my hands? I certainly can't see much from my old martial arts instructor.

Gestalt feints a new grab attempt, but he was a bit too far. Rather he simply uses his hands to ask Simon to "Bring it on" already

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard Action: Using Taunt, to try to get Future!Simon demoralized
    Deception roll: (1d20+10)[15] Opposed by Deception, Insight or Will(all of which are likely high. Superspies are a pain)

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Simon, Mandragora, and Annabelle made haste to the other hallway. They could see about a hundred feet down the hall, two SIDE agents jockeying for position to try to shoot Future Simon as he attacked Leviath, with a power-armored agent further down lining up her own shot. Annabelle took aim, ready to distract the time traveler from one of her allies.

Future Simon didn't even respond to the taunt. Well, sort of. Having now encountered the electromagnetic shield, he was more than happy to accept the excellent advice on circumventing it, attacking not with hard striking moves that would be repelled, but brutal grappling attacks that would cause severe internal trauma. Or, well, that was the plan, but he couldn't get at Gestalt without getting himself shot.

The SIDE agents closed in; the battle was too close to just fire into it. The unarmored agents went at Future Simon aiming to interfere with his attacks and limit his movement, while the armored agent, taking advantage of the fact that he was focused on Gestalt, wound up for a heavy blow. Our Simon could probably see it coming as his future self, even with his back turned invitingly to the armored agent, just shifted casually aside and let her armor-augmented fist smash into the less plucky of the agents as he tried ineffectually to inhibit the super-spy, sending the man flying all the way down to the hall to land in a heap before our three heroes. The helmet was covering the agents face, but we can probably imagine the look on it well enough.

Spoiler
    Show
    You know what, bar it, anyone who goes in against a PL+4 enemy with NPCs for backup, taunts them, and offers them sound tactical advice deserves another Hero Point. Because that's awesome. Nigh suicidal, granted, but awesome.

Future Simon:
    Move: Attempt to Trick the power armored agent into striking one of the SIDE agents, because they're being pests. Agent rolls Insight at (1d20+10)[26] vs. Routine Deception of 29. Tricked
    Standard: Attack Gestalt with Pressure Point Strike (Toughness), Power Attacking for 4, at (1d20+14)[16]. On a hit, Toughness DC 29 vs. Damage and Fortitude DC 24 vs. Weaken Toughness. Gestalt has +5 Defense against this attack from last round's Aid. Holy cats he actually missed thanks to the stupid SIDE agent's Aid. Wow.

SIDE Agent 1:
    Move: Move in.
    Standard: Unarmed strike to Aid the power armored agent's attack at (1d20+13)[14] after Teamwork. Natural 1 always fails on attack checks.

SIDE Agent 2:
    Standard: Unarmed strike to Aid Gestalt's Defense against the next attack against him at (1d20+13)[28] after Teamwork. 'Nother +5 Defense 'cause it worked so well last time!

Armored Agent:
    Standard: Attack with Servo Strength, All Out Attack for 5, at (1d20+15)[23]+Aid. On a miss, unless Insight succeeds above, attack is redirected at SIDE Agent 1 at (1d20+15)[18]+Aid. On a hit, Toughness DC 25 vs. Damage and Strength DC 20 or be launched down the hall (conveniently, right into range for the other PCs).
    If FS gets hit - Toughness (1d20+11)[17], Strength (1d20)[18].
    If Agent gets hit - Toughness (1d20+5)[21], Strength (1d20+2)[6]. Incapacitated and launched down the hall.

Annabelle:
    Move: Move to the other hall with Simon and Mandragora.
    Standard: Aid Mandragora's next attack at (1d20+15)[26] after Teamwork. Mandragora gets +5 on his next attack.

Current Status:
    Gestalt: +10 Toughness, Bruised.

SIDE Agents: 1/2.

All PCs are on turn
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2014-12-09 at 01:49 AM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Leviath winces a bit as the agent is hit by the punch from an powered armor. All these weird dodges and deflections that Simon was doing was wreaking hell on his already thin help. He had to stop him from doing all that

He could think of a couple, but the one he found easiest was also quite a bit dangerous. Their roles reversed, Simon trying to go for grapples, Leviath might aswell try to attack him

So, with a quick approach, he aims a couple of punches, thrown at the throat, temples and solar plexus. He backs a bit, but not too far. Can't let Simon's attention go towards the agents
    Spoiler
    Show
    Since everythings going so well!
    Standard Action: Close Range Attack. Unarmed
    (1d20+4)[6]

24. - Top - End - #264

Kobold

Mandragora finally had a clear shot at the future Simon. With Annabelle aiding his attack, Mandragora decided he had to go for the decisive strike at the time traveller. Once future Simon was wrapped up, incapacitating him would be much easier. It was unforutnate that he didn't have the answers they needed to prevent Leviath from becoming some kind of evil mastermind in the future, but for now the important part was keeping the future SIDE or whoever Simon was working with from executing his fellow hero. Though Mandragora couldn't comprehend what kinds of implications this whole situation might have on whatever future was to come, or even how it would affect the present, he still knew he had to save Leviath.

Snaking his vines forward past the SIDE agents who were helping in the fight against future Simon, Mandragora sent a mental prayer to the Truth of Right to guide his actions now and in the times to come. He wrapped the future Simon in a thick tangle of vines - hopefully too thick for the time traveler to escape from.

Show

Move: Probably don't need to use this unless I need to get closer.
    Standard: Lash vines at future Simon.
    Unarmed Attack roll (1d20+15)[33] (with Aid bonus). Toughness DC 25 + Multiattack damage as well as DC 25 (using all limbs) Strength or Dodge check to resist being grabbed if the attack hits.
    Last edited by Born; 2014-12-11 at 09:38 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Simon slapped Gestalt's strike away, but Mandragora's vines closed in from both sides. He caught hold with one, and as the time traveler shifted away from Annabelle's shot, he got the other around him too. Simon managed to keep his limbs free, but he was well-caught around the torso. Annabelle continued, well, not so much firing (battle was getting too clustered), but keeping her weapon leveled at Future Simon to cut off his options. She was a good shot; she could take it if he went the wrong way and they both knew it.

Present Simon advanced, closing on the fight as fast as he could, though his legs were burning with fatigue.

'Course, entangled by Mandragora, moving the wrong way was currently the least of Simon's concerns. He aimed his gun down the hall and fired at Mandragora as fast as his weapon allowed. He just didn't have the leverage to have much of a chance to escape Mandragora's coils as it was.

Spoiler: Simon
    Show
    Your future self gives you a warning look. It'd be impossible to notice without your hasted mental processes, but for a few tiny fractions of a second, it's there. Mandragora scored a huge win by getting him entangled. You know that you don't have the physical prowess to escape Mandragora naturally. You also know that it is theoretically possible that you could use your shapeshifting to slip free of such binds. It'd be stressful on the body, but possible.

It would also be blatantly obvious shapeshifting. He doesn't seem to want to expose you, but the look speaks volumes: he wants to avoid capture more.

There's a fair probability that you'll be getting a Hero Point for this Complication, but it depends on if he manages to drop Mandragora, since if he does it's a moot point.

The remaining SIDE agents worked together to try and bring him down while they had him caught, the unarmored agent making some quick attacks while the power armored agent came at the bound time traveller with a devastating overhead smash.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am realizing, the more this fight progresses, that Mandragora is uniquely effective against Simon.

Simon:
    Move Action: Advance 15'.
    Standard Action: Advance 15'.

Annabelle:
    Move Action: Do some jockeying for position.
    Standard Action: Aid Mandragora's next attack at (1d20+15)[29]. Mandragora gets +5 on a his next attack.

Future Simon:
    Standard Action: Shoot at Mandragora, Power Attacking for 4, at (1d20+10)[27], Crit 16+. On a hit, Toughness DC 33 vs. Damage. Crit! DC 38
    Extra Effort - Additional Standard Action: Shoot at Mandragora, Power Attacking for 4, at (1d20+10)[21], Crit 16+. On a hit, Toughness DC 33 vs. Damage. Hit.
    Move Action: If Mandragora doesn't go down, attempt (likely futilely) to Escape at (1d20-5)[1]. If he does (or if by some miracle he rolls a 20 and manages to escape), retreat back outside at full Flight speed; this is getting too close for comfort. Fail. Simon can't escape unless Mandragora goes down.

SIDE Agent 2:
    Standard Action: Aid the armored agent's next attack at (1d20+12)[27]. +5

Power Armored Agent:
    Move Action: Will fly after Future Simon if he does manage to flee.
    Standard Action: Attack at (1d20+10)[21]+Aid. On a hit, Toughness DC 25 vs. Damage and Acrobatics or Athletics DC 20 vs. Trip. Hit but I forgot I should roll his defenses, will do that in the OOC.

Mandragora, give me a DC 38 Toughness save followed by a a DC 33 Toughness save.

Current Status:
    Mandragora: Fatigued, 2 Bruises, Staggered.

SIDE Agents: 1/2.

Future Simon: Bruised, Grabbed (Immobilized and Vulnerable), Prone, Fatigued.

All PCs are on turn.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2014-12-15 at 09:22 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

With a smile at seeing his allies arriving. Gestalt distances himself from Simon, and goes into full defense. He wonders exactly for how long he can stay in here

Spoiler
    Show
    Defend action
    (1d20+6)[16] (+10, so 26)
    (16 or less add 10)

Edit: Can this get my defenses above PL by the way?
    Last edited by DukeGod; 2014-12-18 at 05:45 PM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

That one look told him volumes. His plan to assist the time agent by isolating Leviath had failed. The time agent might be able to escape by shapeshifting, but it would expose Simon's identity. That wasn't an option. It would compromise his mission and, Daimon realized, it would destroy Simon. The identity itself would be exposed. His and the time agent's missions were now the same.

Simon skidded to a stop outside the room, drawing his borrowed firearm as he did...

And promptly put a hail of bullets into Mandragora's back.

Daimon hoped he hadn't killed the youngster, but without a clear anatomy he couldn't be certain what was lethal and the kid would recover from anything less than a debilitating shot.

Show

I'm assuming Mandragora is going to be Vulnerable since he isn't expecting his ally to attack him. If not, please advise.
    Shoot Mandragora (PA 5) (1d20+5)[23] Toughness DC 30 35 + Multiattack. Crit.
    Holding my move action. If Mandragora goes down, I'll use the move action to Morph into the likeness of another Time Agent. If Mandragora doesn't go down, I'll spend a HP to shoot him again. If required, I'll roll the second attack immediately.
    Last edited by Dorni; 2014-12-21 at 11:24 PM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

With the gun still held in his right hand, Simon casually tapped his belt buckle with his left. His features immediately began to melt and shift. Moments later Simon was gone. In his place stood a much younger man with a lean frame, hair buzzed short, and a uniform that was an exact match with the Time Agent's. His slightly amused smile didn't touch his dead serious eyes.

"I suppose there is little point to staying in cover any longer," He sighed. He looked over at the Time Agent, suddenly all business. "Simon, lets wrap this up already."

Show
    Move Action to shift into the likeness of another Time Agent. Deception 30 +/- circumstance to pull off the bluff.

29. - Top - End - #269

Kobold

As Mandragora was just about to cover the time agent in his trademark resin, he felt a pair of shots pierce through his barky skin from behind. He hadn't even time to turn around or say a word before the well-aimed shots caused him to slip into unconsciousness. The last thought he had as he fell to the floor of the SIDE building's hallway was "Who?"

No longer able to sustain his plant-like alternate form, Eric slipped back to his normal guise. The vines retracted from the future Simon, some of them disappearing into his form, others becoming arms at his side. Now, the blonde man in his mid 20's suddenly looked nothing like the alien viney form that once stood there.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

For just a moment, there was a stunned pause as Simon shot down Mandragora. Annabelle was the first to react, taking just a second to give Simon(?)'s back a cold glare before flying her chair out of the hallway.

Spoiler: Insight DC 25
    Show
    From the main room, she can access the automated weapons systems from one of the computers. With the attacker no longer having the same face as one of the heroes, activating them becomes quite reasonable, and unlike authorizing a power, the process is pretty quick. For someone with the tech-savvy of Annabelle, it'll take about a round.

With Mandragora down and Simon on his side, Future Simon no longer felt any particular need to escape. He leaped to his feet and broke into a barrage of swift attacks, striking at Gestalt and both agents near him with fast, efficient strikes and no showy moves. Gestalt, ready for the attacks, kept away from them, and the blows just glanced harmlessly off the agent's powered armor. The unarmored agent got punched in the head and was now lying unconscious on the ground.

The power armored agent would respond with another slamming blow, aiming to bowl him over.

Spoiler
    Show
    Annabelle:
    Move Action: Fly chair out of the hallway.
    Standard Action: ???.

Future Simon:
    Move Action: Stand.
    Standard Action: Attack Gestalt, Agent 2, and Armored Agent with Unarmed Strike, Multiattacking for 3, Power Attacking for 3.
    Gestalt: (1d20+8)[17]. On a hit, Toughness DC 28 vs. Damage. Miss thanks to Defend
    Armored: (1d20+8)[13]. On a hit, Toughness DC 28 at (1d20+12)[31] vs. Damage. Miss
    Agent 2: Routine Attack for 18. On a hit, Toughness DC 28 at (1d20+5)[18] vs. Damage. Incapacitated

Power Armored Agent:
    Standard Action: Attack Future Simon with Servo Strength, Accurate Attack for 2, All Out Attack for 5, at (1d20+17)[18]. On a hit: Miss
    Toughness DC 23 at (1d20+10)[15] vs. Damage and
    Acrobatics or Athletics DC 18 at (1d20+0)[17] vs. Trip.

Current Status:
    Mandragora: Fatigued, 3 Bruises, Staggered, Incapacitated.

Future Simon: Bruised, Fatigued.

All PCs are on turn
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2014-12-23 at 12:59 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide