New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default L5R, 4E: The Servant

One of my players is playing a shugenja of the Isawa school. He's bought the Servant Advantage (Budoka) to act as a bodyguard. What exactly is a Budoka? Is he an NPC samurai w/ no school-based special ability? Is he a non-samurai with warrior training? A monk-like desciple of some sensei? Can he legally carry & use daisho?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: L5R, 4E: The Servant

Hmmm, I'm entirely sure. I can't remember the difference between budokas and dosshins. Both are armed heimin who aren't serving in armies, though. One is local peacekeeping for places too unimportant to get samurai to look after and I can't remember what the other does. In any case, it's a heimin and as such can't carry a daisho, nor is it a monk.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Suteinu View Post
    One of my players is playing a shugenja of the Isawa school. He's bought the Servant Advantage (Budoka) to act as a bodyguard. What exactly is a Budoka? Is he an NPC samurai w/ no school-based special ability? Is he a non-samurai with warrior training? A monk-like desciple of some sensei? Can he legally carry & use daisho?
    If he's not a samurai, he can't carry a daisho, or a wakizashi.

As for WHO the Budoka is, if it doesn't say, define it yourself. It might be a monk-like disciple. It might be some lesser samurai... a ronin looking for some measure of honor in service, entitled to the daisho but using one of the generic schools. He might be a heimin who's got very little in the way of special training, but has been given an axe and told "Stand in front of this guy and catch arrows."
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

For your consideration: Budoka
    Avatar by Kymme, will likely return to him with future requests :)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Much thanks, y'all!