New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Incarnate vs Totemist

Ok, so I am a level 2 in a good campaign. I am wondering which would be better at melee, a NG Incarnate (since that would fit within the restriction) or a totemist, and which would be better at higher levels. I would prefer to be strictly 1 class since it is my first time using the MoI, so no PrC ideas please.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Incarnate vs Totemist

Incarnates have a lot of versatility.

Totemists are much better at ripping faces. So if your goal is face-ripping, go for the totemist.
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

You can build a fairly good melee Incarnate, but NG is not the way to do it; you'd want to go either LN or NE for that. NG doesn't get all of the nice to-hit or damage bonuses that they do.

If you can only be a NG Incarnate, then Totemist is definitely going to be the better choice for melee.
    Last edited by Karnith; 2014-07-03 at 09:00 PM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

As everyone else has said. Totemist is the ideal class in MoI for reaching out and touching someone (with a small arsenal of natural attacks). Totemist has the better BAB progression as well, which is obviously important when mauling.

That said, at higher levels, keep in mind that the name of the game is less "damage per swing" and more "so, can you fly?" The Incarnate, in the long run, will give you more versatility (as others have mentioned); an assortment of abilities that can benefit you and your party.

Note also that when it comes to MoI PrCs (particularly the Ironsoul Forgemaster, handbook in my sig) the Incarnate may be a better chassis. Not because of its BAB, but because it gets a (slightly) better essentia progression, of which you'll want to take advantage.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

We aren't going past level 12 (at most 13, I think) so is it thinking of PrC's?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Even without PrCs in the mix, Totemist will serve you better for just beating stuff up.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Alright, thanks everyone