New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: VIGIL I: We don't have a cool title yet...

Mountain Base - Gate

"We don't really have any concrete threats right now, at least not that I know of," Aiden says. "I might just go pick a fight with some dragon or demon or whatever."

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Mountain Base - Airship Shenanigans

Krystal takes all that in for a moment.

That sounds...really complicated.

Seems like she isn't quite sure what to make of it.

So, you're not the real Magtok?

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

3. - Top - End - #243

Mountain Base - Gate

"Really sir? You have no recurring villains or anything like that?" Geez, she had more action this organization! "No evil cults, warlocks, warlords or giant monsters around? There have to be something you can do to get some recognition around here."

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

[Mountain Base - Gate]

As if summoned by the mention of giant monsters and evil to fight, Hayden appears! (Though in all actuality he was just on his way out to go find a cyberneticist to work with.) The striking definition of heroic will appears, Hayden chuckling as he realized he may have found a kindred spirit, a big grin on his mechanical face, a startlingly white row of artificial teeth flashing as he'd say.

"If it's recognition you seek, then a heroes journey is the only way! Evil is well trained in hiding it's face here Ms, but as heroes it is our duty to seek it out and eradicate it no matter how well it may hide! I myself, as much as it pains me to say, was locked only days ago in vicious combat with a monster carved from the bones of archangel, and wrought from the foulest necromancy and technology, the beast escaped with it's kin and

Though I fell I have found the secret to victory locked within a forbidden compartment within my mind."

Hayden said stopping to gesture to his forehead before adopting a pose, leg raised upon a nearby rock jutting out of the ground, scarf billowing in a non existant breeze as the legendary hero adopted his best inspiring pose for the prospective member!

Now, I am on a quest to find someone capable of performing the operation that will tear the star heart in my chest in two, thus activating the hidden system within my schematics known as The Nova Drive! Surely there will be many trials and tribulations that await me on this path.

He turns around casting off his coat to reveal his cybernetic arms, black metal crafted carefully to emulate the peak of effiency, Hayden adopting a flexing pose now as he'd continue, knee forward as he'd clasp his hands together adopting yet another ridiculous stance as he'd turn to the side, looking at her as he'd continue, did he have to do this every time he paused?!

"SO! If you wish to clash with the foulest of demons, to purify this world of it's blackest darkness. To create a light that will shine throughout eternity, creating a tomorrow where truth, dignity, and honor are the norms by which all live by. Then come with me. Help me unlock these secrets, help me drive back the evil that has already besieged our walls once, and in turn, I will share what knowledge of the future and the technology in my own body that I can with you."
    Last edited by Fan; 2014-08-02 at 05:18 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

[Mountain Base - Gate]

Thariza sort of stands there, with her mouth slightly open. She was expecting a lot of things, but not... well, that.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #246

Mountain Base - Gate

Aiden, on the other hand, waits for Hayden to finish his speech, and then he laughs, obviously at him. "Man, which comic book did you get ripped from?" he eventually asks. That probably sounds hypocritical coming from a man in a leather coat with a huge sword on his back.

7. - Top - End - #247

[Undersea Base]

The Scordatura smiles. "Oh. Then, you're in for a treat." She spins away on her heels and starts walking down the way. Covertly, she checks the map hidden in her helmet, and corrects her course to go towards the airlock first. "It's really amazing; all the base is. Once you get to know it more, you'll like it a lot. One of those places generates most the power for the whole base: makes everything keep on functioning. The computer room is basically the mastermind area where everything in the base is ran smoothly and neatly from a single location. The airlock lets people and machines get here in the base to out in the ocean without letting any of the air in the base escape or letting any of the seawater in. Can you imagine how disastrous it would be if the ocean got in? That's why the computers control everything around."

Along the way, she points out all the little rooms that branch off that they pass - the kitchen, a room with a couch and comfy chairs, and so on. She even invents fictional stories about things that happened in there once. For example, "Oh, you would not believe what happened in this room once. One time, a couple of years ago, I was sitting in here, and you would not believe what walked in! It was this weird knight guy - in full shining armor and everything! He was with this elf - sort of like a dark elf, but with reddish skin and green eyes, almost the same color as that fabric over there - and then what happened next was so hilarious. You should've been there. Oh, the dining room is down this hall. Anyway, where was I? Oh, yeah. They walked..." and so on. As it turns out, the Scordatura knows how to make up stories on the fly. It also seems like she doesn't like silence.

Finally, they arrive at the airlock. "So, here's the airlock." She looks at it, trying to figure out how it works so she can explain it. She finds a button. That must be how to open the place into that room over there which will let you into the ocean. "That button is a very important button." She pushes it. She waits for the door to start opening, but instead it just turns on the lights in the airlock. Finally, she turns to face Wenomir and Candace. "It's the light switch. After all, you wouldn't expect to put on your scuba gear in the dark now, would you?"

Shoot. She couldn't find the button or switch that opens the airlock. That would've really shown them how much she knows the base. Oh, well. If she goes around looking for it more, they might suspect something. "Any questions?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

Undersea Base

Candace blinks. Scuba gear? And why do you need such a big contraption to get in and out - can't someone just cast a force field that keeps water out?
    Last edited by WarKitty; 2014-08-02 at 09:12 PM.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

9. - Top - End - #249

Mountain Base - Gate

Yes, having a sword on your back is both dangerous and impractical IRL.

Vallery ignores his comment however, her attention laying solely on Hayden as he speaks. If Aiden had a good introduction, this was an legendary introduction, already proving his claims of herohood! He even managed to perform the billowing trick! What was so difficult! =O
    She takes out her rapier and turns it around as if to offer the hilt to him. "I Vallery Jarven, true hero, vanquisher of evil and helper of the helpless, swear by my blade that I will help you get the Nova Drive no matter what will stand against us, sir. Just lead the way and I shall follow you to the very end or until we have succeeded driving back the evil that threatens this world." Vallery promises with true conviction shining in her eyes. "My sword is yours to command as long as you follow the path of righteousness and honor."

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

[Gate]

Hayden laughs, truly this was a glorious day. To meet another one as dedicated to the art and pursuit of justice! Such joy could only be expressed through the purest of laughter. Still, he sobered quickly, for the evil they faced was grave enough that he had to at least make a potential compatriot aware of the dangers ahead. Adopting another pose, this time with his hands in front of his face as he'd continue.

"I must warn you though, the trials ahead will be trying even for me. If you aren't ready to face off against monsters that can destroy the minds of lesser men with a glance, then proceed no further.

I know that you, as a fellow justice seeking soul, will not back down from any evil no matter how dire once faced with it, but it is that same nobility that drives me to give you this warning. Our foes are many, and they are powerful, some of them stronger than even myself, who has traveled the gulf of time and space to return to this time, made with technology beyond the ken of modern science.

Knowing this danger, that sometimes our foes may be too great to face alone for either of us, do you still accept this quest noble heroine?"

Hayden said, waiting for her response before he'd accept her blade. He knew that her heart was stout and valiant, but to get involved with the challenges he intended to face ones convinction needed to be unwavering, their strength unyielding, and above all they had to have the two most important qualities of a hero. COURAGE, AND GUTS! To stand up and face him as an equal, to demand her presence in the fight against evil. Whether or not she did those things would tell him whether or not her words came from the desire to perform a duty, or from the burning desire for justice within!
    Last edited by Fan; 2014-08-02 at 08:51 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251

Quote Originally Posted by KerfuffleMach2 View Post

Krystal takes all that in for a moment.

That sounds...really complicated.

Seems like she isn't quite sure what to make of it.

So, you're not the real Magtok?
    "I'm absolutely the real Magtok!" the clone insists, Krystal's words stinging much more than he imagined they would.

"I'm just not the first Magtok, is all. The first Magtok was, and apparently still is, a humongous ****-face. Being a clone doesn't mean I'm less of a person, or less deserving of my name, just that there's someone else who had the name and face first. That guy doesn't deserve either of those things anyways; I've done all the work making this name something worth caring about, ever since he got a car thrown at him like an idiot. If he thinks I'm going to just let him take it all back like he's entitled to any of what I've done for myself, he's wrong."
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

12. - Top - End - #252

Krystal winces a little. Sorry. I meant the first. Bad choice of words.

She falls silent for a moment, watching the base get closer.

So...what're we gonna do?

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

CHARACTERS

13. - Top - End - #253

[Gate]

Vallery nods, understanding the caution. Being a hero was not easy and one needed to be hardened if they were ever going to survive. "I have entered the minds of demons and eldritch abhorrence's and survived to tell the tale. I know what darkness that lies in the hearts of men but I also know it's capability for truth and justice and that's what I seek to prove. That within all of men lies the capability to do great deeds if one only believes and strives for it. Any hero can do great deeds but the greatest ones not only commit greatness but inspires it in others and make even more heroes even after they're gone. That's the kind of hero I strive to be and even if I might not be equal in strength to some heroes I strive to make up for it in spirit." She explains, putting her hand on her chest. "So yes, I still accept this quest sir. As such a challenge would only force me to try even harder than I already do."

14. - Top - End - #254

Krystal winces a little. Sorry. I meant the first. Bad choice of words.

She falls silent for a moment, watching the base get closer.

So...what're we gonna do?
    "Park this thing back inside, for one. Tell Hayden he's been invited to walk into an obvious trap, for another. Maybe encourage him to invite a friend or something, since he wasn't told to go alone. Nuke the entire Maggy Land park from orbit, if Hayden dies," Magtok answers, with the first few ideas that come to mind. I don't think he could actually arrange for the orbital nuke response, but there's bound to be sufficient firepower somewhere that could level the park to the ground. The Empire could be talked into it, maybe.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

15. - Top - End - #255

Krystal nods a bit.

Okay. Sounds...well, not good, but not bad. I mean, I can't think of a better idea.

She falls silent again for a momemt. Her mouth twists up a bit, like she's contemplating something...

Missus Magtok The Sequel?

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

16. - Top - End - #256

*Makes a small post now just because I‘m not sure I‘ll be able to post again until Monday evening*

Undersea Base
    Near Airlock

“A suit that allows you to breathe underwater,“ the Scordatura responds.

Then, she answers the question. “Some people -- such as herself, for example -- have severe reactions when exposed to large quantities of certain magics, and others have natural anti-magic abilities, so it would be a huge folly for such a diverse organization to depend entirely on magic for any important life-or-death function.“ That is, of course, entirely conjecture on her part, but it makes sense in her head.

That reminds me. I forgot to mention what the Scordatura‘s accent sounds like. If you‘ve been imagining it sounding normalish, it‘s not. Not that it‘s important to know what her voice sounds like. Just so you can get a better idea of her. It sounds distinctly exotic; almost South-American exotic. Like English (or whatever language they‘re speaking now) is not her first, or even second, language. Coincidentally, it sounds like my other character Harley‘s accent, but one could easily assume that it‘s entirely coincidental and not at all on purpose, given how large and diverse the Nexus is.

Anyway, putting the aside to the side, I won‘t be able to post again until Monday evening.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

[Gate]

Hayden chuckles, before giving the kneeling heroine a winning smirk and a thumbs up, those artificial whites dazzling as they were seeming to give off an actual sparkle before he continued.

"Then stand, and know that you are a hero I'm proud to walk beside. Truly, you are the most dedicated and noble example of heroism I've yet to meet. A noble and compassionate soul that burns with the desire for a better world!"

He says extending his hand to take hers, pulling her up, before he'd continue, now face to face with the formerly kneeling hero, the excitement on the hero of the future's face self evident, the exploding passion in his heart finally equaled by another! Truly this was an age of miracles.

"Now for introductions. I am Hayden Bofloy, the ultimate champion of the future, the strongest cyborg in creation, and the legendary hero who faced down The Thing in the Walls of Amen atop a roaring Valcano and emerged victorious! Though my achievements are yet to fill even a single annal, I promise you that is only because my foes have numbered as few, but my heart yearns to once again find adventure, to seek out some evil to vanquish so that the future may be made that much brighter!"

Hayden said turning away, the almost child like wanderlust and excitement in his eyes speaking to the ultimate dedication and passion he had for the pursuit of heroism, but such was the nature of a man built for that purpose alone.

18. - Top - End - #258

She falls silent again for a moment. Her mouth twists up a bit, like she's contemplating something...

Missus Magtok The Sequel?

"That's not a question, it's a quote. One I'm not going to dignify with a response," Mag insists, his cheek turning scarlet, incensed by the gall of that Prime jerkface for saying a thing like that right in front of her. Whether or not he was trying to charm her or not has absolutely nothing to do with this; what kind of ass-wagon does that to his own clone?! Gods, after the choking and being talked down to, he would've been embarrassed enough as is...
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

19. - Top - End - #259

Krystal gives a small smile. Alright. Sorry. Didn't mean to pry.

So, who's this Hayden guy?

By now, they're probably close enough for Magtok to take over the controls for the landing.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

20. - Top - End - #260

"No idea. The guy who might be Prime gave me a mental image thing of this Hayden person, but I've never seen him in person. I should probably ask someone in the base if they know, after getting scolded for misuse of VIGIL property." Magtok steps in to land the Airship A. Airship, bracing himself for being punched in the throat or kicked in the nose or whatever VIGIL's more responsible members have in mind.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mountain Base - Airship Shenanigans]

As Magtok begins his descent, he might catch sight of someone he probably doesn't wanna see right now. A diminutive figure with dark hair is waiting in the hanger, seemingly waiting for them to land. It's Kr. That's probably bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

22. - Top - End - #262

Krystal just shrugs a bit. You were just showing a new member around. Can't get into too much trouble for that, right?

Seems like Krystal might find out soon.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

23. - Top - End - #263

"Maybe. I've just been bringing it up at every opportunity to try to overhype it and make the actual verbal beatdown not as bad as it would've been otherwise. Like reverse tempting fate," Magtok explains. I don't know how much of that is actually going to help him, though. I mean, it's Kr down there. If it was DC, he might've had a chance, but the DC's progeny is at least twice as horrible and unpleasant as the psychic himself. This isn't going to be easy.

Not helping matters is that Magtok has absolutely no idea how to exit the craft properly, and winds up floating down with Krystal in tow all fancy and dramatic and such, instead of experimenting with buttons, switches, and levers to find out what would extend a disembarkation ramp. To be fair, the alternative probably would've blasted a hole in the wall, but this doesn't make it look like he's particularly inclined to take Kr seriously, does it?
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Kr raises an eyebrow at their descent, flipping a wrench in hand. She's wearing a t-shirt without her signature coat, and has a few grease stains on her arms and shirt already.
    "Full tank of gas? No scratches?"
    Kr looks up at the airship.
    "I guess you couldn't find the docking controls though. I'll label those."
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2014-08-03 at 12:04 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265

Mountain Base - Airship Hangar

Well, this woman didn't seem so bad.

Krystal will approach her and offer KR her hand to shake. Hi, I'm Krystal. I'm a new member. Magtok was showing me around. Krystal has pale skin, short hair that resembles fiber optic strands, and pure while eyes. She wears sneakers, jeans, a tank top, and a denim jacket. Her jacket and jeans are worn and holey, revealing scars on her elbows and knees, in addition to the ones on her wrists and knuckles.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

26. - Top - End - #266

Magtok does his absolute best to keep a straight face when Kr mentions scratches. So long as she doesn't study the underside of the vessel in intimate detail before Magtok has put a few dozen miles between himself and her, things should be fine. There wasn't a gas station he knew of, except in Skyside (and who would dare bring this there without knowing how the weapons work?), but they didn't go far either, so that's not an issue.

"My last airship was the distant baby cousin of an Elder God,"
    Magtok mumbles. The King in Purple didn't exactly have the most conventional control setup, but then, it wasn't exactly the most conventional of airships, either.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2014-08-03 at 12:26 PM.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

"Pleasure to meet you."
    Kr shakes Krystal's hand. New member is better than Kr's original assumption, which was that Krystal was Magtok's date. Not that the two are necessarily mutually exclusive. Kr's a short woman, about 5' tall, with straight black hair that brushes a strong jawline and dark eyes. She has a long, straight scar up the left side of her face, from the jaw to the cheekbone. She's slender, considering her height, but obviously very active, with the muscle tone and build of a professional gymnast. Right now she's wearing basic work clothes - a dark t-shirt, black jeans, and ordinary brown boots, not her fancier red dragonscale ones.
    "That... sounds different." Says Kr, glancing at Magtok and then at the airship, making a mental note that she'll actually somehow have to get up there and dock the thing properly.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

[Mountain Base - Gate]

"Well, you two are certainly a match made in heaven," Thariza says, slowly. "Does that mean you'll sign up for VIGIL?"

[Undersea Base]

"I don't think people who built the place are around any more. That's if it wasn't just popped into being by the Nexus," Wenomir says with a shrug. Carrie's explanation certainly pointed to the latter theory. "There's two ways of getting in and out other than the portal. People use teleportation rings or underwater vessels."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

29. - Top - End - #269

Mountain Base - Airship Hangar

Krystal raises an eyebrow at Magtok's comment. Really? How does that work?

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

30. - Top - End - #270

[Gate]

Vallery raises, smiling widely. "I have already introduced myself but I have yet done anything of worth in the nexus. But fate has guided me here, to you. So whatever darkness that are threatening this world right now, we were meant to face it together." She says as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. After all, she had just happened by Thariza by chance who then of two possible choices had lead her to the exact location Hayden was. There was no other explanation than that fate was at work here.