New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Gestalting Mythic Tiers onto classes

It's been discussed, but I can't for the life of me find any discussion of how it turned out. But anyway - gestalting mythic tiers onto the standard classes to help bring balance back to the table between the lower-tiered classes and the higher ones.

BUT.

I have a specific system for doing so that I'd want to use. Unfortunately I'm not very good at "balance" so I need opinions. I also wanted to tweak the system a little.

First, some big changes:
    • First, the three groups of Mythic abilities are going to be styled as "heroic," (1st-tier) "legendary" (3rd-tier) and "mythic" (6th-tier) for the rest of this post.
    • Second, any effect that previously depended on tier level, now depends on 1/2 character level (minimum 1).
    • Third, any effect usable X number of times per day based on mythic tier, or which required an expenditure of mythic power to activate, is now usable 1/day at 1st level and an additional time per day at 6th level and every 5 levels thereafter, except for Mythic powers, which are simply usable 1/day. Any duration based on mythic tier is now based on 1/2 character level as well.
    • Fourth, and finally for the big changes, any character can select any power from any path (archmague, guardian, etc.); HOWEVER, to select a legendary-tier power from a given path, they must have at least 1 heroic-tier power from that path, and to select a mythic-tier power from a given path, they must have a legendary-tier one. The exception here is the Universal path, which can be taken by anyone.

Second, the rate at which characters gain mythic abilities is based, essentially, on the rate at which they gain spells.
    • Fighter: 1st level, 3rd level, and every other level thereafter (ten total).
    • Barbarian, Cavalier, Gunslinger, Monk, Rogue: 1st level, 3rd level, and every 3 levels thereafter (seven total)
    • Alchemist, Bard, Inquisitor, Magus, Paladin, Ranger: 1st level, 4th level, and every 4 levels thereafter (six total)
    • Cleric, Druid, Oracle, Sorcerer, Summoner, Witch, Wizard: 1st level, 5th level, and every 5 levels thereafter (five total)
    • NPC Classes: Don't get powers.

In essence, non-casters get mythic powers fastest, half-casters at a medium rate, and full casters slowest. Fighters get powers extra fast because they really, really need the help.

Finally, gaining powers. Any character may learn a heroic power as they level up. To learn a legendary power, the character must know at least two heroic powers (three total). To learn a mythic power, a character must know at least two legendary powers (five total). This means that, by 20th level, assuming that each time they picked the highest-tier power available to them...
    • Fighter: 2 heroic, 2 legendary, 6 mythic powers
    • Barbarian, Cavalier, Gunslinger, Monk, Rogue: 2 heroic, 2 legendary, 3 mythic powers
    • Alchemist, Bard, Inquisitor, Magus, Paladin, Ranger: 2 heroic, 2 legendary, 2 mythic powers
    • Cleric, Druid, Oracle, Sorcerer, Summoner, Witch, Wizard: 2 heroic, 2 legendary, 1 mythic power.

A few other final changes.
    • The "Display of ____" powers are eliminated.
    • Mythic spellcasting, and thereby mythic spells, are eliminated. Spellcasters don't need the help, and frankly I'm only giving them mythic powers at all in the interest of fairness.
    • Eldritch Flight has been moved from the Archmage path to the Universal path. In practical terms, this means that Fighters can gain the ability to fly at the same level as wizards (5th level)

So...how badly did I mess things up here?
    Last edited by Rogue Shadows; 2014-07-05 at 12:59 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Gestalting Mythic Tiers onto classes

The problem I see is that you sacrifice flavour and lore for balance and that is almost never a good idea. How does it make sense that a fighter suddenly has the ability to fly? Maybe fighter players don't want to fly this way because then they would have played a wizard.
    Again I know what you want to do but this seems to be very focused on balance and not on actual things that make sense.
    As you see this part really bothers me since I feel it just takes from the fightery feel but maybe that's just my feeling.

If you want fighters to have flight so desperately then why not give them a unique ability? Like giving them a legendary item enchantment that would allow them to fly a few times a day. Maybe with some added goodies.
    Just some thoughts.

Otherwise the thing seems ok. I just wouldn't sacrifice lore etc for perceived balance.
    Last edited by Feint's End; 2014-07-05 at 12:52 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Gestalting Mythic Tiers onto classes

Quote Originally Posted by Feint's End View Post
    How does it make sense that a fighter suddenly has the ability to fly? Maybe fighter players don't want to fly this way because then they would have played a wizard.
    Well, they don't automatically gain the ability to fly - they have to select the power still, from amongst the multitude of other powers available to them. The point is that it's a Universal path ability rather than an Archmage path ability, so any character can pick it up without having to invest previous resources in Archmage (as a fighter is unlikely to do).

Fluff it as becoming Superman, if you like. But not every fighter is going to pick Eldritch Flight - some might pick, instead, Fleet Warrior, or Divine Source. Though actually I might choose to make Divine Source a Legendary-tier ability as it seems kind of powerful to be potentially available at 5th level.

If you want fighters to have flight so desperately then why not give them a unique ability? Like giving them a legendary item enchantment
    Well, they can do that too, by selecting the Legendary Item power (which is a 1st-tier power and so selectable at level 1).