New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default How do you obtain the stats for monsters in pathfinder? (For custom encounters)

I want to create custom encounters, like say an ogre with levels of barbarian as an example... How do I obtain the stats for an ogre to add class levels to it? Things like ability scores and such.

3.5 it was so easy to add class levels to almost anything, but pathfinder seems to have made things difficult in this department.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: How do you obtain the stats for monsters in pathfinder? (For custom encounters)

I'm pretty sure that between 3.5 and Pathfinder monster building hasn't changed a lot.

There is a lot of stuff in the Monster Entry Format and the chapter on Monster Advancement. I never bothered to read it all and general use my 3.5 knowledge.

But on the subject of
    Ability Scores

The creature's ability scores are listed here. Unless otherwise indicated, a creature's ability scores represent the baseline of its racial modifiers applied to scores of 10 or 11. Creatures with NPC class levels have stats in the standard array (13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8), while creatures with character class levels have the elite array (15, 14, 12, 11, 10, 8); in both cases, the creature's ability score modifiers are listed at the end of its description. Ability scores are capitalized and their names are listed in bold.
    So your barbarian ogre would get +4, +4, +2, +2, +0, and –2 to its stats. (That's the difference between six times 10 and the elite array). You could also calculate his racial modifier by subtracting 10 or 11 like 3.5 and then give it whatever base ability scores your want.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-07-05 at 03:48 PM.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: How do you obtain the stats for monsters in pathfinder? (For custom encounters)

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySage View Post
    3.5 it was so easy to add class levels to almost anything, but pathfinder seems to have made things difficult in this department.
    Huh? You do exactly the same thing as you did in 3.5. There is not one whit of difference. How did you come to believe it was different?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGirl

I use this site with great success for when I don't feel like doing all the work myself. But if you're perfectionist make sure to doublecheck numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWarforged View Post
    So technically we banned boobs