New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Help with character creation. Please.

I need help designing a character. A mean character.

The kind that can just make a DM stare at you for a bit wondering how the heck you did that.

Normally I can do this myself, but there are a few caveats to this exercise:
    - Core only
    - No Wizard or Sorcerer
    - early level (we are level 3)

Now before half you get up in arms about how I should "talk it out" or whatnot:
    - first combat of the campaign was against werewolves (yes we started at level 1)
    - our group has collectively downed dragons and whatnot. (we were level 3)
    - he had no qualm upping the ante and throwing 53 goblins at us. (waves of 6-8 each turn with 2 goblin dogs per wave. No they are not stupid like goblins should be)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Help with character creation. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Dissonance View Post
    I need help designing a character. A mean character.

The kind that can just make a DM stare at you for a bit wondering how the heck you did that.

Normally I can do this myself, but there are a few caveats to this exercise:
    - Core only
    - No Wizard or Sorcerer
    - early level (we are level 3)

Now before half you get up in arms about how I should "talk it out" or whatnot:
    - first combat of the campaign was against werewolves (yes we started at level 1)
    - our group has collectively downed dragons and whatnot. (we were level 3)
    - he had no qualm upping the ante and throwing 53 goblins at us. (waves of 6-8 each turn with 2 goblin dogs per wave. No they are not stupid like goblins should be)
    Your main problem here is Core Only combined with an attempt to eliminate "God Wizards". Maybe go for a caster Cleric or Druid?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I made a cleric archer. By grabbing Saddle Surge, Abundant Ammunition, Named Bullet, and Litany of the Righteous (Samsaran helps), you can do a lot of damage. It doesn't really hit its stride until level 4, though.

Of course, my Halfling Paladins all seem to elicit this sort of response.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-07-06 at 10:43 AM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Theres only so much optimization one can do if its core only and lvl 3...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Id say a Mounted Charger, its something that shows up so rarely most DMs will look like a deer in the headlights for a bit and by that point you've just ran over have the monsters. Id recommend riding a Cave Lizard, you can afford it by this point and it will be fine in a dungeon.

No they are not stupid like goblins should be)
    Also do note that goblins are as smart as people, though they may be a little crazy. This however doesnt justify his use of a freakin platoon of goblins
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2014-07-06 at 10:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Core druid is insanely strong as controller.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

All great ideas so far. Especially Sporeegg and Blackhawk. (Special mention to snowbluff for providing a character concept)

I've noticed that we need someone in the party who is good at taking on groups. We've taken on wendigos, dragons, werewolves, sahagin, other tough critters at less than full strength. but the goblin horde was a lot more problematic.

The main point of contention is that we have been outside for almost the entirety of the campaign with no sign of a dungeon delve in the foreseeable future. Which is making that charger that Blackhawk suggested very appealing.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

You want multiple target? I recommend a mount with Trample, a Drakkensteed comes to mind and Paladins can get it as an ACF instead of their usual mount, oh and it flies too. Now if you want to do the Mounted Fighter (which i recommend as it gives you some versatility) Id find an animal with Trample and take Wild Cohort and use it as your mount, then take Mounted Combat, Ride By Attack, Spirited Charge, and Imp Trample and Mounted Archery, pair that with a Valorous Lance and then run off into the Cavalier PrC. By the end of Cavalier youll be full attacking at the end of a mounted charge and doing x6 damage with that Lance. If you want to get REALLY silly grab TWF and dual wield lances and get your Gaia the Fierce Knight on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    You want multiple target? I recommend a mount with Trample, a Drakkensteed comes to mind and Paladins can get it as an ACF instead of their usual mount, oh and it flies too. Now if you want to do the Mounted Fighter (which i recommend as it gives you some versatility) Id find an animal with Trample and take Wild Cohort and use it as your mount, then take Mounted Combat, Ride By Attack, Spirited Charge, and Imp Trample and Mounted Archery, pair that with a Valorous Lance and then run off into the Cavalier PrC. By the end of Cavalier youll be full attacking at the end of a mounted charge and doing x6 damage with that Lance. If you want to get REALLY silly grab TWF and dual wield lances and get your Gaia the Fierce Knight on.
    Getting his Gaia the fierce knight on sounds great... i might want to do that now. Don't forget to pwr atk. If any 3.5 is allowed, go for Rhino's rush and i think there was a paladin spell in 3.5 or pathfinder with the same effect. Double dmg on a charge. Turn that x6 into a x8 with both of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captnq View Post
    Wizards wind up Incanatrixs/Ultimate Magus/Whatevers. Clerics turn into CoDzillas. Blah Blah Blah. Boring. Seriously. Done this long enough that winning isn't the point. Winning with STYLE is the point.
    [10:15:05 PM] jack.of.thunder: if nothing tempts you, nothing tempts you. If no race beckons, none beckons. Cards fall where they may, where they might, where they must. That is how legends are born.

The Little Mailman

Garet Jax

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Btw, could you define "Core Only". I'm taking that to mean the first book only, but different GMs have different definitions of Core.

If you want to go with a Charger, and keeping Core only in mind, I'd probably suggest a Halfling Paladin. This gives you a tough full BAB Chasis and you can pick up a mount with your Divine Bond at level 5. This'll mean levels 3 and 4 will be on foot, unless you buy a mount know and pick it as your Bond once you level up.

If you have a decent enough Point Buy for 16 Strength, you'll charge for 2d6+6 with a Lance. Unfortunately most of the best feats for a mounted charging build come from other sources. You will have the benefit of being able to stay mounted even in dungeons though.

Alternatively, a Dwarven Druid could be excellent for providing ways to handle large numbers of enemies. First, pick an animal companion with plenty of attacks. Large Cats (Lion, Tiger, ect) are a favorite due to having Pounce and 3 Natural Attacks. This lets them charge and get a full attack in each round. Pump up your Druid's wisdom and you can use crowd control and AOE spells to help take down large groups too. Remember that when you face huge numbers, the monsters aren't usually very strong (individually). I've seen Entangle used too good effect in that situation, and as a first level spell you'll have it right out of the gate.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Core only as in only the first book. Also the necessary part of a charger build (spirited charge) is in Core.

and no 3.5. PF only

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

All great ideas so far. Especially Sporeegg and Blackhawk. (Special mention to snowbluff for providing a character concept)

I've noticed that we need someone in the party who is good at taking on groups. We've taken on wendigos, dragons, werewolves, sahagin, other tough critters at less than full strength. but the goblin horde was a lot more problematic.

The main point of contention is that we have been outside for almost the entirety of the campaign with no sign of a dungeon delve in the foreseeable future. Which is making that charger that Blackhawk suggested very appealing.
    Still a charger is prone to many small minions. They are GREAT for single large enemies (and even better with special attacks that grant a bonus to damage like Challenge or Smite Evil) but they can basically just take out creatures one by one. Also being outside doesn't necessarily mean that you always have a line for charge (trees, difficult terrain, you can't charge uphills).

And you said that you are pretty weak to that. In the end you should play what YOU want but a druid can deal easily with large numbers of creatures. You're always outside so that's a hefty bonus to the druid. And lastly a druid is flexible enough to provide your with spells for most situations, wild shape for added goodness and Domain powers/Animal Companion to further spread your class utility.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Seconding Sporeegg, a druid is definitely what you need if you cant go wizard. Why bother taking on 53 opponents at one time (slightly staggered) when you can toss out a few battlefield control spells and reduce that number by 3/4 and delay their entry to the area. Plus druid gives an animal companion to help out with soaking/dealing damage. Wild shape is especially fun outdoors because you can just change into a bird, flay to max spell range, and rain spells down out of reach of damage.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Mine started in a Dwarven church of Pelor, now with a moon!

Also, note to self, sacrificing KFC in a small apartment is not a good idea.