New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Fast time plane effects without planar shepard?

So far the only fast time plane that I've been able to find is Dal Quor, but it's not a plane that you can actually reach via planeshift so I don't know how to take advantage of it.

Is there any way to gain the benefits of Dal Quor for a long period of time (like long enough to craft things) without being a Planar Shepherd??

Currently I have essentially free persistent spell, extend spell, and echoing spell via spelldancer if that helps any. Currently Wizard 6/Swiftblade 5/Spelldancer 1 and looking to take more swiftblade. The party crafter left the campaign and I want to see if I can fill the role, but the DM doesn't like to give us so much downtime.

Genesis to create a fast time demi plane is....well pretty far out of reach (I won't get 9ths until epic).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Fast time plane effects without planar shepard?

Also, genesis says nothing about planar traits, such as time or magic affinity. Only customizing the "atmosphere, water, temperature, and the general shape of the terrain."

Why do people keep overlooking that line?
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Planar Bubble is 10 min,/level, and hence could be made to last all day with some CL boosting and/or metamagic, but you'd actually need to be native to Dal Quor or have a native of Dal Quor on hand to benefit.

Spoiler: Genesis digression
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by torrasque666 View Post
    Also, genesis says nothing about planar traits, such as time or magic affinity. Only customizing the "atmosphere, water, temperature, and the general shape of the terrain."

Why do people keep overlooking that line?
    I don't think that they're overlooking it, it's just that Genesis doesn't say "you can control these factors and nothing else," it says:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Genesis
    The spellcaster determines the environment within the demiplane when he or she first casts genesis, reflecting most any desire the spellcaster can visualize. The spellcaster determines factors such as atmosphere, water, temperature, and the general shape of the terrain. This spell cannot create life (including vegetation), nor can it create construction (such as buildings, roads, wells, dungeons, and so forth). The spellcaster must add these things in some other fashion if he or she desires. Once the basic demiplane reaches its maximum size, the spellcaster can continue to cast this spell to enlarge the demiplane, adding another 180 feet of radius to the demiplane each time.
    (Emphasis mine)
    So what it actually allows you to do is vague; some people rule that "most any desire the spellcaster can visualize" to include time traits (etc.).

Compare to the psionic version, which contains an important line that the spell version does not:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Genesis
    You determine the environment within the demiplane when you manifest genesis, reflecting most any desire you can visualize. You determine factors such as atmosphere, water, temperature, and the general shape of the terrain. This power cannot create life (including vegetation), nor can it create construction (such as buildings, roads, wells, dungeons, and so forth). You must add these details in some other fashion if you desire. You can’t create lingering psionic effects with this power; you have to add those separately, if desired. Similarly, you can’t create a demiplane out of esoteric material, such as silver or uranium; you’re limited to stone and dirt. You can’t manipulate the time trait on your demiplane; its time trait is as the Material Plane. Once your demiplane reaches 180 feet in radius, you can manifest this power again to gradually add another 180 feet of radius to it, and so on.
    (Emphasis mine)
    Last edited by Karnith; 2014-07-06 at 02:06 PM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGuy

hmm, I guess I just never really noticed that. So the only way to get fast time is to get it directly from an existing fast time plane...of which only one has ever been published (Dal Quor) and it's disconnected from all the other planes?

Or if your DM rules that time traits are fair game for the spell version of genesis I guess.

But back to the planar bubble idea. What was are there that I could "become" a native of Dal Quor or "obtain" a native of Dal Quor? Would becoming a quori (the native creature of Dal Quor) via polymorph qualify me as a native of their plane for planar bubble?
    Last edited by DarkSonic1337; 2014-07-06 at 02:11 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSonic1337 View Post
    hmm, I guess I just never really noticed that. So the only way to get fast time is to get it directly from an existing fast time plane...of which only one has ever been published (Dal Quor) and it's disconnected from all the other planes?
    Well, the Region of Dreams (from MotP) has fast time, but you explicitly can't use that trait to craft items.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"