New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Realities of diamond armor

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Either that, or they all, including your allies, aim directly at the person with the most expensive armor, ignoring any other targets.
    Don't rain on my fabulousness.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

Titanium alloys also have the nasty side problem that they powder when they break, and in doing so cause a cloud of oxidizing metal and gas, IE a fireball. It's not a major problem with most applications because it takes a high energy hit to set off, but you don't see titanium plates in body armor for a reason.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fouredged Sword View Post
    Titanium alloys also have the nasty side problem that they powder when they break, and in doing so cause a cloud of oxidizing metal and gas, IE a fireball. It's not a major problem with most applications because it takes a high energy hit to set off, but you don't see titanium plates in body armor for a reason.
    No worse than Osmium, which, when reduced to a powder, forms Osmium Tetroxide, a highly toxic gas. Also, I'm pretty sure that Osmium is the hardest non-alloyed metal, though I haven't checked in a while.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I would say that Diamond armor would give very high damage reduction against slashing and piercing, but that it wouldn't against bludgeoning and, furthermore, that it would take the same damage from bludgeoning attacks that the wearer suffers.

If you want more exotic rules that are more in line with what other armor does, maybe give it a high AC but only against slashing and piercing damage?

Either way I wouldn't let it stack with other armor bonuses.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anachronity View Post
    I would say that Diamond armor would give very high damage reduction against slashing and piercing, but that it wouldn't against bludgeoning and, furthermore, that it would take the same damage from bludgeoning attacks that the wearer suffers.
    While diamond armor would protect against a draw cut, plenty of "slashing" involves a decent impact. With something as brittle as diamond, that would likely shatter it.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    While diamond armor would protect against a draw cut, plenty of "slashing" involves a decent impact. With something as brittle as diamond, that would likely shatter it.
    Yeah, if anything (non-magical) diamond would be more useful for its other properties besides hardness - such as how well it resists acid compared to other materials, or how well it insulates against heat or cold. None of which I know off hand.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

It wouldn't resist heat or cold well. In fact, it would have a tendency to ignite and burn when hit by high intensity flames. Then you are basically wrapped in a burning tomb of coal.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fouredged Sword View Post
    It wouldn't resist heat or cold well. In fact, it would have a tendency to ignite and burn when hit by high intensity flames. Then you are basically wrapped in a burning tomb of coal.
    Furthermore, it's crystal, so using standard D&D logic, it probably wouldn't do well against sonic attacks.

On to the positives. Obviously, it's not metal, so effects keyed to metal (Heat Metal for example) wouldn't work on it, and certain effects that gain bonuses against metal wouldn't gain those bonuses. A kineticist firing an Electrical Energy Ray at the diamond armor-wearing BSF wouldn't get the +3 bonus.
    You might also be able to argue that it could have some kind of ray deflection abilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Blossom View Post
    And then you wrote about it on your livejournal, dyed your hair black and started taking warlock levels.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Banned

I never understood how Electrical/lightning damage was supposed to be effective against someone encased in an insulating suit from a grounded metal shell.