New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dominate person

1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Dominate person

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    I agree with this analysis. Keltest's rule of thumb works for determining whether or not doing something is bad, but not whether it is self-destructive.

Honestly, I'm surprised at how much debate is popping up over this topic (this thread and the majority of the main one), but compared to other debates this one is a good alternative.
    I interpret Self-Destructive as intentionally doing something bad (if were going with that word) to oneself, so theres a fair bit of overlap.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I interpret Self-Destructive as intentionally doing something bad (if were going with that word) to oneself, so theres a fair bit of overlap.
    I read self-destructive as harmful to one's self, so things along the lines of suicide. This is a subset of "bad", but not everything that is bad is self-destructive.

Peelee’s Lotsey

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zinycor View Post
    Yeah, because if IMC something like that were to happen it would be considered a self-destructive act. BUT, given that this isn't a campaign of DnD but a story on a DnD setting i do prefer for rich to bend the rules however he wnts in order to give a better story.

I don't want to criticize the comic on this regard, just know if this action would be within the rules according to your interpretations of said rules. I think it was outside of the rules, but want to know what do everyone else think.
    Honestly? It's been years since I actively played, but I'll have to give something of a cop-out answer: It Depends.

For instance, if you told someone who had, I dunno, three levels of commoner to do that, yeah that's seriously 'obviously self-destructive'. On the other hand, if you told that to Joe McEpic Fights-A-Lot (he of level 30 or so), no, not so much.

I hate to play the 'depends on what is is' card, but it really does come down to how one defines the words 'obviously' and 'self-destructive'. There really is a wide lattitude in there. And a lot of that lattitude for me would come down to: Would Belkar think such a fall would kill him? If not, then it isn't 'obviously self-destructive'.

Now if one interpets 'self-destructive' as meaning 'hurts themselves (greatly)', then there is room for more argument. But how much HP loss is hurting oneself greatly? 3/4ths on average? Half? 1d6 or less? How destructive does it have to be for it to be self-destructive?

There really is no universal answer here. As I said it mostly depends on what triggers it for the person. Which is why I said near the beginning this pretty much has to be a DM Interpetation thing.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-07-07 at 03:34 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's up to the DM. I have been arguing for "probably", not "certainly".
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    I read self-destructive as harmful to one's self, so things along the lines of suicide. This is a subset of "bad", but not everything that is bad is self-destructive.
    Would you consider a heavy duty drug addiction self destructive? What about a habbit of chewing your fingernails all the way off? An extreme coffee addiction? Im trying to get a sense of where the boundaries lie. The suicide example is textbook self destructive behavior, true, but its also such an extreme case that I would disregard the opinions of anyone who DIDNT consider it self-destructive behavior.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #36

Im trying to get a sense of where the boundaries lie.
    No boundaries. No lines to cross. Like many things, it's a gradient. Some stuff (like commanding someone to drink coffee) is on the light side, and other stuff (like commanding someone to jump out of a moving vehicle) is over on the dark side. My argument is not bolstered by the fact that I can come up with a scenario where, no, I could not successfully force a dominated subject to drink coffee. Nor is it undermined by someone coming up with a scenario where "jump overboard" is not an obviously self-destructive order. Probably nothing is absolutely always or never a "legal" dominate command. That does not mean that the command itself doesn't matter. For almost any subject in almost any vehicle, "jump overboard" is an obviously self-destructive command that will not be carried out by a dominated subject. It would be silly of me to claim that nothing else matters, but it is equally silly to claim that it doesn't matter at all.
    Last edited by rodneyAnonymous; 2014-07-07 at 06:37 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Would you consider a heavy duty drug addiction self destructive? What about a habbit of chewing your fingernails all the way off? An extreme coffee addiction? Im trying to get a sense of where the boundaries lie. The suicide example is textbook self destructive behavior, true, but its also such an extreme case that I would disregard the opinions of anyone who DIDNT consider it self-destructive behavior.
    I think Porthos says it pretty well with "it depends". With any of the questions you posed, it depends on how much harm is being dealt to the person.

Peelee’s Lotsey

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

In 4E, for a level-30 character with certain Epic Destinies, suicide might be a shortcut to home.
    My blog: Alien America - amusing incidents and creative misinterpretations

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by warrl View Post
    In 4E, for a level-30 character with certain Epic Destinies, suicide might be a shortcut to home.
    Yeah, but that's 4th edition. Theyre all strange over there.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by warrl View Post
    3.5 the same is true with any of at least 3 spells in core alone cast in advance. (Clone, Astral Projection, Contingency+Gate or Greater Teleport)

11. - Top - End - #41
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

My stance on the matter is that for Belkar "jumping overboard" wouldn't really count as "obviously" self-destructive. He has a Ring of Jumping +20 (and I suppose that counts as intentionally jumping down), so he would easily take 10 feet less of falling damage, and he is very likely to survive the fall anyway, because he falls into deep water - thus negating damage on succesful Swim or Tumble check. Danger of prolonged swimming and possibility of being left behind don't really matter - I don't really think that counts as "obvious" enough, it requires conscious thought to be noticed.

Really, all Belkar would face is 20d6 damage at 200 feet (of which I think there are less, based on the previous strip). The first 20 do no damage thanks to water, the next 20 feet are 2d3 of non-lethal damage, since the jump is deliberate, the next 1d6 is non-lethal, another 10 feet is non-damage thanks to easily passed Jump check, yet another is 1d6 non-lethal. All that remains is 14d6 lethal damage. And every single digit of damage is negated by a check of Swim or Tumble of DC 35. And I would think that Belkar has Swim, if not Tumble, as his skill.

And there is also a matter of context. I suppose "obviousness" of self-destruction also depends on wording, like with Suggestion. By making the latter sound reasonable enough one can get away with melting a person in an acid bath ("How about a nice bath?") or make a paladin defend an ancient evil lich from the former's own companions ("Would you kindly help me, an old frail man, deal with these people, who want to kill me and take my belonings?"). I would say that "Jump overboard" is rather reasonable - it's neutral in wording and doesn't convey any realistic danger, if you forget about it being an airship and not a normal ship.

12. - Top - End - #42

Note that landing on water from high up is about the same as landing on solid ground.

13. - Top - End - #43

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyAnonymous View Post
    Note that landing on water from high up is about the same as landing on solid ground.
    People go cliff-diving. For fun.

It's amazing what people will do to themselves in the name of sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

When determining if a character would perform a certain action while charmed/dominated, could one consider the character's wisdom score? I haven't played much D&D but it seems to me that what Belkar considers self-destructive might be vastly different than what Roy/Durkon would consider self-destructive. Belkar is short-sighted and impetuous enough that I could more easily see him jumping overboard with glee without considering the consequences than the wiser party members who might realize the consequences.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    For a high level adventurer with full hit points?

No... not really.

The ocean might be a bit more of a problem in this analysis, but honestly falling from this height would be a minor inconvience to Belkar in his present condition.
    Only if you consider requiring being rescued by somebody else "minor".

Belkar, I think, tends to be a little bit too self-centered to think of how others would actually react to his jumping overboard anyways, let alone actively expecting anyone else to really save him. They will probably try, to be sure, but Belkar would need to be capable of understanding or at least willing to think of how other people might feel and think to recognize that. Not because Belkar is stupid, but because Belkar is too preoccupied with thinking about himself to make any kind of serious effort to do so.

16. - Top - End - #46

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aisper View Post
    When determining if a character would perform a certain action while charmed/dominated, could one consider the character's wisdom score? I haven't played much D&D but it seems to me that what Belkar considers self-destructive might be vastly different than what Roy/Durkon would consider self-destructive. Belkar is short-sighted and impetuous enough that I could more easily see him jumping overboard with glee without considering the consequences than the wiser party members who might realize the consequences.
    And that or something similar has been pointed out in the other thread, I believe. Belkar might just do it because of how frikkin' cool he would look on the way down. "Wheeeeee!!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

17. - Top - End - #47
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by xyzchyx View Post
    Only if you consider requiring being rescued by somebody else "minor".

Belkar, I think, tends to be a little bit too self-centered to think of how others would actually react to his jumping overboard anyways, let alone actively expecting anyone else to really save him.
    His entire scheme to make Miko fall hinged on Durkon rescuing him when in a position where Durkon would not actually have had the ability to do so, remember? His self-centeredness pushes him in the other direction than you're saying: Instead of assuming he's always on his own, he assumes that the "Good" alignment can be safely treated as "sucker who will attempt to help me no matter what I do." (That briefly came back to bite him when Haley told him her concept of Goodish was compatible with kicking him out of the Order and letting him deal with the Mark of Justice alone.)
    Last edited by Kish; 2014-07-07 at 10:54 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    His entire scheme to make Miko fall hinged on Durkon rescuing him when in a position where Durkon would not actually have had the ability to do so, remember? His self-centeredness pushes him in the other direction than you're saying: Instead of assuming he's always on his own, he assumes that the "Good" alignment can be safely treated as "sucker who will attempt to help me no matter what I do."
    That's a good point... One I had not previously considered.

Although given the unpopularity of his antagonistic stance towards Durkon at the moment with other members of The Order, I'm still not convinced he was actually counting on anyone else to really save him from doing this; although certainly I think that may be the only way anyone can form a rational basis for suggesting that the command to jump overboard was not somehow self-destructive.
    Last edited by xyzchyx; 2014-07-08 at 12:04 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    And that or something similar has been pointed out in the other thread, I believe. Belkar might just do it because of how frikkin' cool he would look on the way down. "Wheeeeee!!"
    I don't know about cool. Perhaps hilarious would work better.

Peelee’s Lotsey

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

... and we don't know if belkar knows how to swim,...
    Swimming is a skill you can do whether you have ranks in it or not, and it's based on Strength. A high-level Ranger/Barbarian should be moderately competent at it.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Swimming is a skill you can do whether you have ranks in it or not, and it's based on Strength. A high-level Ranger/Barbarian should be moderately competent at it.
    Still, if he is operating on strength bonus alone (ill be generous and assume that he isn't wearing armor right now) there is at least a plausible chance of him going under the water. Even if he doesn't, the ship is going to be moving away from him quite quickly, which means if V doesn't react almost immediately (if he is, for example, below decks again) Belkar would get lost quite easily.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    He also should have many points on survival, be moderately competent at spot checks and be able to cast spells, but this is Belkar we are talking about :)

23. - Top - End - #53
    Colossus in the Playground

He also should have many points on survival, be moderately competent at spot checks and be able to cast spells, but this is Belkar we are talking about :)
    Did you miss the "whether you have ranks or not" part of the post you were responding to...or are you seriously suggesting that Belkar has a low Strength?

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Did you miss the "whether you have ranks or not" part of the post you were responding to...or are you seriously suggesting that Belkar has a low Strength?
    To be fair, there is a case to be made. Jump is a skill that Belkar actually felt was of value, and he was apparently not content with his current ability to jump when he grabbed that ring of jumping. Its not a strong case, sure, but its not out of the question that his str bonus is not worth bragging about. Plus, as I recall, Halflings have a racial strength penalty. He might very well be using weapon finesse with a high Dex score instead.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Here's my $0.02 question, to reignite the debate from a few posts ago. Are all self-injurious acts self-destructive, or does there exist a set of self-injurious acts that are not obviously self-destructive? I would argue for the latter -- that is, by RAW, I could get a dominated character to perform an act that would injure them, so long as it would not obviously destroy them (e.g., kick a metal statue.)

By my interpretation, Rich hasn't broken the rules at all. Bent them, maybe. Massaged them a little bit. (And even if he had, Rules of Funny/Cool trumps Rules As Written.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Leorik View Post
    ...one thing is clear: Rich Burlew has been sitting on the plot of Durkon "turning undead" for ten years; something big is about to happen!
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    I can't believe bisexual erasure is so bad that our character literally has a part of her personality labeled "latent bisexuality" and people still deny she's bisexual.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by darlingt View Post
    Here's my $0.02 question, to reignite the debate from a few posts ago. Are all self-injurious acts self-destructive, or does there exist a set of self-injurious acts that are not obviously self-destructive? I would argue for the latter -- that is, by RAW, I could get a dominated character to perform an act that would injure them, so long as it would not obviously destroy them (e.g., kick a metal statue.)

By my interpretation, Rich hasn't broken the rules at all. Bent them, maybe. Massaged them a little bit. (And even if he had, Rules of Funny/Cool trumps Rules As Written.)
    Unsurprisingly, it depends. Kicking a metal statue would probably not qualify, but ordering someone to break their foot doing so would.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Well, Durk Malackssen could have ordered him to sit on the rail facing out, which is not obviously self-destructive, and then given him a nice, hard shove. However, showing it this way is more concise, and therefore better for a comic in particular.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

All true, and all irrelevant. I will rephrase to make my point clearer:

Any high-level strength-based character should be moderately competent at swimming, even with no ranks in it.

29. - Top - End - #59

Beholder

Yes it is self destructive. Suffering damage of any sort is destructive in nature. Just because it doesn't kill your character doesn't mean it wasn't destructive.

But then again, this is a story. And Belkar probably has the willpower of a kid in a candy store. Probably thinks he's immortal anyways (or at least a "sexy shoe less god").

~XRoads

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

If this thread (along with the parallel discussion in the Strip 957 thread) has shown us anything, it's that this is a judgment call on which various DMs will disagree.